Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a confession to make . . . I checked the baseball score during the game!

I love the team, but watching them, you've got to wonder if it, "it" in the context meaning being a competitive MLS team, is ever going to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(deleted)
    Last edited by AlanO; 04-07-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    Cann has been on the bench for the past 5 or so games.
    Anyone know why he isn't seeing any minutes?
    There seem to have some little bit of stability there last year before he went down.
    Because he's not ready yet. Pushing him back too soon can cause him to re-injure. I think he's still chasing match fitness. Rumour has it he didnt look too solid in the reserve game last week. Plus as he makes his comeback you're going to see him not play on turf. It's extremely hard on the knees.

I imagine he might get some late game minutes in the Chicago game (15-20). After that he'll likely be a sub until finally seeing regular minutes in May.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Was RJ's tunnel vision always this bad?

In our last dangerous possession, he had the ball, Silva was streaking into the middle of the box with nothing but space...and he pretended he wasn't even there. Wouldn't have been a difficult ball to play, nobody was in that space and both defenders marking Silva were on the wrong side.

I just don't get it. Players just aren't seeing the plays that are there and just lobbing it in because they don't know what else to do.
    That wasn't the first time RJ ignored the open runner a simple pass away. His problem is that he doesn't look around. When he has the ball he's staring at it the entire time he has it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aw c'mon.....don't be so hard on the lads, after all:

1. their best player is out
    2. they were playing on a plastic pitch
    3. they played midweek and if the game and subsequent travel didn't affect them physically, they were bound to be gutted by the disappointment of losing
    4. their mvp of two seasons ago is still out

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iy12l View Post
    Dunfield, JDG, and Harden seriously need to get the boot. Next game against chivas i dont wanna see anyone of there 3 dumbasses in the 11. Since Emory is red carded we have to play this lineup if we want a win

-----------Kocic-----------
    -Ecks-Henry-Aceval-Morgan-
    -----------Burgos----------
    --------Silva---Avila--------
    -----Johnson-Koef-Plata-----
    subs:
    Cann
    Stinson
    Lambe
    Rowe
    JDG
    Cordon
    i'm afraid it'll be more of the same....why I have no ide
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's go Blue Jays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
    Tweeted by Kurt Larson
    Eckersley said We've got better personnel than Montreal....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    The physical disadvantage of Dunfield and DeGuzman and the slow pace of Harden has been costing the team.

Dunfield, is just an extra body when he plays, no matter what he does or whether he doesnt commit errors, he is like playing versus a brick wall. He is by far the least likely to improve the team when he's on the field.

DeGuzman, IMO he will play up to the talent thats around him. He is not a leader or motivated player. He is a chaser and workhorse without actually having the height and muscle mass to call him a workhorse.

Harden, he is physically what you would want in a centre back, but his pace and lack of change of direction makes him a liability. Other than that he is not that bad, but playing him with two midget holding midfielders is asking for trouble.

*What it really comes down to is playing two undersized midfielders in front of Harden and a rookie centre back in Emory. It was a bad selection versus the physical style of MLS teams. This would be reasonable versus the college teams in preseason, but not versus a rival with an intention on embarrassing the team by winning their first game in MLS versus their closest rival.

------------------------------Kocic----------------------------
    Eckersley-----------Harden--------------Emory----------Morgan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------DeGuzman-----Johnson-----Dunfield--------------
    Soolsma--------------------------------------------------Plata
    ---------------------------Koevermans-------------------------

*If you are going to start DeGuzman, you have to at least start either Silva or Avila, instead of Dunfield. IMO, there's an understanding that Dunfield is suppose to be that hardworking midfielder that will chase players down and do all the hard tackling, but in reality, the player that best suited to playing that way is DeGuzman. Dunsfield, shouldn't even be on the field before the 85th minute and the last possible substitution.

4-1-2-1-2 or 4-4-2 diamond:

------------------------------Kocic----------------------------
    Eckersley-----------Harden--------------Aceval---------Morgan
    ----------------------------DeGuzman-------------------------
    ----------Avila----------------------------------Silva----------
    -----------------------------Johnson--------------------------
    ----------------Koevermans---------------Plata----------------
    I thought this was the idea, at the end of last year?....I was looking forward to Silva after picking him, playing with Avila....speed , ball control and soccer instincts to f%%king win...
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter now getting asked about his job security post-game:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...s-job-security

If we don't get full points in the next two games, he will be in trouble by the end of April (we finish April away at RSL, a likely loss at the best of times)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The little press that TFC normaly gets will dwindle to minimal if the Jays are for real this season, it will be a Jays love fest 24 hours a day if they continue their great play they started in preseason, what mainstream media outlet will have anytime for TFC especially a club who looks poised to once again not make the post season in a league that the mainstream media considers a minor league. It just boggles the mind how such promise when this club started is going in the dumper like it is, it's almost like the soccer haters out there have cursed this club so that Pro soccer in Toronto does not move forward in popularity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the new interview it seems Aron will finally put Dunfiled and Harden on the bench, where they belong! I hope JDG will be benched too because his half-ass efforts always starts a counter-attack for the other team. I hope this is the turning point of the season and to be honest i don't want Aron to get fired.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I hope the travelling support make their own fun post-game.

This game was a poor show by both teams and was probably a lost cause for us.

The next two games are must win. Not draw. Win.
    Agreed. I will give them a tiny bit of rope for playing mid-week, and the huge emotional letdown of how the second half of the Santos game went, but now there are no excuses. We need wins - immediately.

I also agree with you that Winter's job security really could be in jeopardy by the end of the month if they don't wake up. It's boggling really, when you consider how much better they looked in every CCL game. In the CCL we can beat the reigning champions on their own field, and play three respectable halves against one of the best teams in Mexico - in league play we can't beat an expansion side. With or without Frings.

I think saying we are out of the playoffs already is melodramatic, but it could become a reality if they don't start stringing together some wins now.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...s-job-security

TFC's Winter promises changes, addresses job security

Quote Originally Posted by Winter
    “It’s very simple, in the coming weeks I’m going to change some things,” Winter told reporters after his team lost 2-1 to the Montreal Impact at Olympic Stadium. “Zero points out of four games. I prefer to do it different with some players who are not making those mistakes or they want to battle.”
    Let's see if there are effective changes coming.
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan View Post
    The little press that TFC normaly gets will dwindle to minimal if the Jays are for real this season, it will be a Jays love fest 24 hours a day if they continue their great play they started in preseason, what mainstream media outlet will have anytime for TFC especially a club who looks poised to once again not make the post season in a league that the mainstream media considers a minor league. It just boggles the mind how such promise when this club started is going in the dumper like it is, it's almost like the soccer haters out there have cursed this club so that Pro soccer in Toronto does not move forward in popularity.
    The media in this city doesn't give two sh*ts about TFC, never has, never will. Yes, they interviewed some supporter groups in the early years and even made a mention or two when the team was a novelty, but since then, have they given a damn? There was barely any coverage of the CCL campaign, even with the Leafs being out of the playoff picture. I've come to expect nothing better. If it wasn't for TFC.ca and a few reporters, we'd have no knowledge of what's happening with this team. Mind you the way things are going this season, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

As for bandwagon jumpers, they can retreat at their earliest convienience. Loyal supporters will stick around, I'm sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Relja View Post
    Eckersley said We've got better personnel than Montreal....
    At this point questionable, but maybe. However, today Montreal had the better team.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All that hype and goodwill from the game at the Skydome is quickly evaporating isn't it?

Results matter. Some have convinced themselves the city and it's fans will wait for results but I have never believed that to be true. We need results NOW! Or all we're doing is damaging the brand to the point where all you will have are the South stand fans and THEN try convincing the new overlords/owners to keep investing in multiple DPs. And without those how are we going to compete? Look what losing Frings has done to the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we still allowed to release JDG at the summer transfer window to free up cap space? I believe there was an MLS rule that did allow this in the last year of a players contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You "Roogsy" I have been trying to convey that message on here for the longest time, with every loss, with every lousy season the brand is being damaged where in the end like you said the only people left in the stands will be the ones in the south stands. Some people seem to be ok with that because the people left they say will be the real loyal fans and the bandwagoners can go fuck off as some have posted on here. That is all good and dandy but if you think MLSE will continue with a team if it begins to not make money and instead bleed money then you are in for one big surprise!
    Last edited by SoccMan; 04-07-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    Are we still allowed to release JDG at the summer transfer window to free up cap space? I believe there was an MLS rule that did allow this in the last year of a players contract.
    As his contract is guaranteed it doesn't look so:

III. METHODS OF RELEASING PLAYERS

(A) WAIVERS
    Teams may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. Players with guaranteed contracts will continue to have their salary budget charge applied to the team salary budget, subject to any settlement. Players on semi-guaranteed contracts can be waived prior to July 1 of any year and free up the corresponding budget space. If a player on a semi-guaranteed contract is waived after July 1, his salary budget charge will count against the team’s salary budget and the team waiving the player will not receive a replacement except under the normal player acquisition mechanisms. Any settlement amount will be charged to the team’s salary budget.
    (B) TRANSFERS AND LOANS
    An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a team outside the League (subject to that team’s Federation’s transfer window), subject to the consent of the player.
    The registration windows – the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of a player under contract in another country – are as follows:

• January 21 – April 15 (Primary Window)
    • June 27 – July 27 (Secondary Window)

(C) CONTRACT EXPIRATION
    When a player’s contract expires, the player does not count against the roster or budget of the team in question. Subject to the Re-Entry Draft rules, a team retains the rights to the player indefinitely following the expiration of a contract only if attempts were made to re-sign the player.
    (D) BUYOUT OF GUARANTEED CONTRACT
    Teams may have the ability to buyout one guaranteed player as follows:

• A Team may buy out one (1) guaranteed player (including a DP’s) contract during the off-season and free up the corresponding budget space. Such a buyout is at the particular MLS Team’s own expense.
    • A Team may not free up budget space with a buyout of a player’s salary budget charge during the season. Such a buyout will be conducted by the League and count on a Club’s budget in a manner consistent with current MLS guidelines.
    Last edited by KGH; 04-07-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    This has been addressed several times. DP cap relief is only during the off-season. If the team releases him at any point this season, summer or not, there is no cap relief.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw the team at the airport on the way out of town this afternoon. Spirits seemed light and jovial, and it pissed me off. Didn't have the nerve to say anything, but I truly hope they know this isn't acceptable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    All that hype and goodwill from the game at the Skydome is quickly evaporating isn't it?

Results matter. Some have convinced themselves the city and it's fans will wait for results but I have never believed that to be true. We need results NOW! Or all we're doing is damaging the brand to the point where all you will have are the South stand fans and THEN try convincing the new overlords/owners to keep investing in multiple DPs. And without those how are we going to compete? Look what losing Frings has done to the team.
    This team really missed the boat in the first couple years...the potential that was wasted is mind blowing

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roogsy, SoccMan ....

This is my fear. I've had discussions with people that we need the casual fan. There aren't 20,000 "die-hard TFC fans" out there with money to fill the stadium every week. The moment this team loses those people, we are in trouble as far as professional soccer in Toronto is concerned.

I'm very disappointed in Winter. I was on the Dutch bandwagon when he first came, but I'm starting to think, he was just blowing smoke up me arse.

The next match is must-win in my opinion.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You "Roogsy" I have been trying to convey that message on here for the longest time, with every loss, with every lousy season the brand is being damaged where in the end like you said the only people left in the stands will be the ones in the south stands. Some people seem to be ok with that because the people left they say will be the real loyal fans and the bandwagoners can go fuck off as some have posted on here. That is all good and dandy but if you think MLSE will continue with a team if it begins to not make money and instead bleed money then you are in for one big surprise!
    I keep rolling my eyes at the hubris to wish bandwagoners goodbye. Like somehow we think MLSE will put a better team on the pitch, not worse, if we have half (or less) fans in the stands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG42 View Post
    This team really missed the boat in the first couple years...the potential that was wasted is mind blowing
    I agree 100%, but in defence of MLSE, what's happening this year isn't because they cheaped out or made obviously bad decisions in terms of the team's management. It looks like they just picked the wrong guy. It's in their best interest for the team to a success on the field.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG42 View Post
    It's the single biggest reason behind my fervent and yes, often overbearing, pleadings on this board for more accountability to the fans. We are the ONLY check in the whole system that keeps MLSE somewhat honest. I continue to believe as a whole we have failed as supporters and have let the bandwagoners be the ones to dictate the message to management.

But in doing so it has damaged the "brand" of TFC to the point where we are the laughing-stock not only in our city but in the league. We could have been the opposite. I honestly believe we could have been THE elite team of MLS. It makes me sad. What could have been... *sigh*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    I agree 100%, but in defence of MLSE, what's happening this year isn't because they cheaped out or made obviously bad decisions in terms of the team's management. It looks like they just picked the wrong guy. It's in their best interest for the team to a success on the field.
    Are you sure they didn't cheap out in the beginning? They picked the wrong guy - one guy. How much did they invest in the rest of the front office? How much in scouting compared to other MLS teams? How much did they invest in the rest of the team's infrastructure? This was a brand new franchise, they had zero employees when they started and they could have put together any front office they wanted - instead they hired one guy with almost no experience (and absolutely none building a team from scratch) and that was it.

What's happening now is a direct result of that poor management (of the whole organization). In the first four years - with the best fan support in the league - they built nothing of any lasting value.

Now they're still scrambling, hiring consultants and a coach and a GM who never met each other before they came here.

There is no defence of MLSE.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    It's the single biggest reason behind my fervent and yes, often overbearing, pleadings on this board for more accountability to the fans. We are the ONLY check in the whole system that keeps MLSE somewhat honest. I continue to believe as a whole we have failed as supporters and have let the bandwagoners be the ones to dictate the message to management.

But in doing so it has damaged the "brand" of TFC to the point where we are the laughing-stock not only in our city but in the league. We could have been the opposite. I honestly believe we could have been THE elite team of MLS. It makes me sad. What could have been... *sigh*
    Actually the causal/band wagoner fan will the ones that turn this team around. When they walk away and that is left is the hardcore 1500 in the stadium (Which by the way was the gates at most Lynx games from the A-league) the owners will have to take the winning thing serious. As long as there is 15K at the games, they won't do a thing.

If you want to protest the direction of the club, pick a game and have every hardcore supporter not show up. Just stay away. They may take notice of that. Show up fill the stands and they won't care how many signs you paint or what those signs say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well my first game could have gone better, but if I needed a team that always wins I'd be a Yankees and Man U supporter.

Thoughts on the experience:

--Great atmosphere as the Toronto and Montreal supporters showed up
    --It was great being heckled by the Montreal Supporters, no joking it was great
    --French Canadian Women
    --Its slightly weird when you're the only person in your section who cheers when your team scores a goal
    --It sucks when you receive "Take That" looks from people in your section when they score

Thoughts on the game:

--First 60 minutes was a clusterfuck Toronto had no ideas about how to pass and go forward
    --Emory looked like he got the ball
    --How did we perform better with 10 men than with 11
    --Henry is not the second coming, got burned on several occasions out wide
    --Plata and Johnson like the same position too much
    --Koev scored, Yeah
    --Our defense is still not good
    --We still act like two teams, Defense and Attack with nothing connecting them
    --