Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aceval

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    We should not play henry over emory they are in two differnt classes technically. And if we bring a dp cb he should not be known player(because they are old/slow) he should be somebody younger and extremely good at his position.
    Ideally, yes. But Frings is showing exactly what an older, slower DP can bring to the table if you get the right guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with the current squad and injuries, i would like to see something like this:

-----------------kocic-------------------
    ----------henry---------maund---------
    eckersley-----------------------morgan
    -----------------stinson-----------------
    --------avilla-------------silva----------
    soolsma-------------------------johnson
    ----------------kovermans--------------

subs: plata on 60 for kovermans. johnson moves to front. plata on left wing.
    maybe burgos in for soolsma at 70 mins.
    cordon in for stinson on 60 minutes.

as cann becomes healthier, he would replace maund - but i still thin tfc should make a pitch for attakora.
    he is one of the best players i have seen in a red shirt as a cb! never understood why winter never rated him!
    after watching him again for the u23 team, it was very apparent that he was solid back there and the team was better with him in the roster!
    he would be a steal at the money he would be asking for!

absolutely no dunfield, no deguzman, no harden and no aceval!

on paper, i feel this line up would be solid and p;ayers that are very responsible and play their position with confidence

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    he's shit because he can't read the game. And as for the suggestion above that we blame Winter for hiring him, I rather imagine Mariner found him. But mostly, when a player plays really badly for a half dozen straight games, I think it's best to blame the player.
    Are you suggesting/saying that Winter is picking a team from a squad of players that he (potentially) doesn't have any say over?

If this is the case, no wonder TFC are playing so badly!

I personally don't believe that - I would have thought Winter was the overall influence of the types of signings we make. Mariner is the numbers guy who puts together the contract and helps with the salary cap etc. I have no doubt that Winter would have vetted Aceval before we signed him tho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not getting why Aceval hasn't been better. He played, like what, almost 200 games for Colo-Colo?, played in Uruguay for Defensor Sporting, has a cap for Chile (vs Mexico). He did score a nice goal, is great on dead balls and in quite a few moments has looked good, promising. Do we have time to wait for him to adjust? Is that what it is, that he needs time?

To those who have seen him play in Chile - is he known to have these seriously lapsed moments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His first mistake that lead to a goal (and there were three of them) the one where Gomez got in behind him, seemed less not reading the game than just not paying attention. How is that possible in a game of this importance?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter couldn't trade in MLS to get a CB, given that there is a shortage of good CBs in the league, and besides who would he trade? It's not like someone was going to take JDG's enormous contract off our hands. He had to bring in a foreign "budget" player.

It will be telling what they do with the DP slot once Julian's time here is up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Six years in, you'd think the backend would've been figured out by this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Ideally, yes. But Frings is showing exactly what an older, slower DP can bring to the table if you get the right guy.

In the backline! not the more demanding midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Inklink View Post
    Six years in, you'd think the backend would've been figured out by this time.
    Yes, six years in, BUT, only the second year under this administration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aceval doesn't look in great shape to me - is he coming off an injury? Mediocre fitness tends to lead to mistakes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He looks pretty good here - maybe better at LB? With TFC, he's looked more comfortable being pushed further left along side Frings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p--8z...eature=related

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up watching him play for Colo-Colo. He's a decent defender. Much much better than your average MLS defender.

He was at fault for Santos' first goal, but that's it.

He's always been a pretty offensive-minded player, whenever he went up someone else would take his place. Typical S. American defending, really. Here in this system he is given a responsibility with which he can't really show off what he's good at.

I think with Frings by his side he'll be a very competent player for TFC. Without, not so much. The football in this league and in our team in particular aren't yet suited for players like Aceval whose performances rely on a well-oiled team.

I've seen A LOT of this guy and grew to really like him for his attitude many years ago. People who say he 'is not good enough for TFC' have no idea what football is like out there. Watching Colo-Colo at the stadium feels like watching Barcelona/Arsenal on steroids compared to what watching TFC feels like.

There's barely a 'not good enough for TFC' category in my books based on what I've seen at BMO. Whether a player is a good fit to our system is a completely different matter. We have bigger worries than Aceval as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by RC8; 04-06-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes Assaval mad a couple of horrible mistakes,but I am not ready to give up on him.Now in Ty and Julie,they are gone in my books!This stems from not just this year but last year and the year prior to that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed,except with frings playing in defence,should be in the middle controlling the middle!He plays defence here because we have no one! waisting his talents on defence! This my opinion!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the backline! not the more demanding midfield.
    Right - but I thought we were talking about a DP CB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Aceval doesn't look in great shape to me - is he coming off an injury? Mediocre fitness tends to lead to mistakes.
    Yes, he was injured for a fair amount of last year.

As far as brain farts in Mexico, it could be some combination of lack of fitness, travel fatigue or altitude.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not altitude, its about the same altitude as here (or not much more if im not mistaken)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Are you suggesting/saying that Winter is picking a team from a squad of players that he (potentially) doesn't have any say over?

If this is the case, no wonder TFC are playing so badly!

I personally don't believe that - I would have thought Winter was the overall influence of the types of signings we make. Mariner is the numbers guy who puts together the contract and helps with the salary cap etc. I have no doubt that Winter would have vetted Aceval before we signed him tho.
    Actually, no, I'm not suggesting that. This is the very definition of makijng a "straw man" argument -- attributing a proposal to the other party, then knocking it down.

Obviously Winter deserves blame for playing him too, or listening to the folk telling him to give him time. Doesn't change why I'm assessing him as being a bad player...which is because he plays badly. Repeatedly.

You can either read a fast, direct game or you can't. He's coming from a different style of football, just like Caicedo, and he can't read the game at this speed. Is there time for a guy his age to adjust? I doubt it.
    Last edited by jloome; 04-06-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aceval made a couple mistakes vs. Santos but Morgan was awful... his athleticism helped to cover up his terrible positioning and his constant backing up in the box putting pressure on everyone. We need a left back and maybe thats Aceval ( smarter player ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    not altitude, its about the same altitude as here (or not much more if im not mistaken)
    We are 347M, Torreon is 1000M. Don't know if that is enough to make a difference though.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Torreon altitude is over 1000m
    Toronto altitude is about 250m
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Right - but I thought we were talking about a DP CB

as Cb in the 3man yes as midfielder in every sense of the word has looked past it. Despite the myth, he plays in the back because he has to run less and he can read the game better/control our tempo with two athletic backs alongside him its his best position at this stage in his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something that needs to be said is that he has been a MF all his career and has only been shifted to CB in the past year or two. His on the ball quality/distribution is good. His CB instincts are lacking. He could also be fitter truth be told.

I'm wondering why Mariner brought in a converted MF to be our stud CB?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dow117 View Post
    Aceval made a couple mistakes vs. Santos but Morgan was awful... his athleticism helped to cover up his terrible positioning and his constant backing up in the box putting pressure on everyone. We need a left back and maybe thats Aceval ( smarter player ).

I am not saying you're wrong, but imo morgan hasnt put a foot wrong/shit the bed yet and attackers dont pass him, his decision making especially in the final 3rd is questionable at times.But in this league I dont think he loses his spot to aceval........just to fast.
    Last edited by DoubleUp; 04-06-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Something that needs to be said is that he has been a MF all his career and has only been shifted to CB in the past year or two. His on the ball quality/distribution is good. His CB instincts are lacking. He could also be fitter truth be told.

I'm wondering why Mariner brought in a converted MF to be our stud CB?

Honestly theres no shame in it if we accommodate him properly, mascherano made the same switch and its working for him. Imo its easier/cheaper to bring in a better right sided back(maybe if soumare drops in our lap) and stick beside frings, then to find dp/stud Cb and pay near millions to shit the bed and have us string him up by his boots. In the 3man footy iq wise frings is the best cb in the league, just athleticism lets him down at times.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Honestly theres no shame in it if we accommodate him properly, mascherano made the same switch and its working for him. Imo its easier/cheaper to bring in a better right sided back(maybe if soumare drops in our lap) and stick beside frings, then to find dp/stud Cb and pay near millions to shit the bed and have us string him up by his boots. In the 3man footy iq wise frings is the best cb in the league, just athleticism lets him down at times.
    This could actually be a very good solution. Keeping Frings back there where's he's proven to do a good job and then using the JDG slot on a more attacking player. I think it's safe to say we can find a better bargain at defensive mid than JDG.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This could actually be a very good solution. Keeping Frings back there where's he's proven to do a good job and then using the JDG slot on a more attacking player. I think it's safe to say we can find a better bargain at defensive mid than JDG.
    In honesty I've watched every match since fringes arrived, and in the midfield he has looked ordinary but in the 3man he comes to life he looks like what we payed money for. IN JDG spot we need a destroy/engine, with a tchani/ sanyang build but much better of ofcourse.
    Last edited by DoubleUp; 04-06-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

early impression on aceval is not a real positive. seems to lack pace and he is not strong defensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hes a good defender but hes just slow. If you want a temporary solution play Henry over Harden to cover up if Aceval makes a mistake

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I see the search for the next whipping boy is well underway.

I guess the hand ball (while falling) outweighs the goal in the 1st leg? 4 Chilean League Premier Division titles under his belt and a cap with the 14th ranked football country in the world and some have their minds already made up on him?

Not saying the guy is a monster but come on folks, he's in the MLS which means that he has both upside and drawbacks. This basically describes every player we have on the roster. Let's not rush to run another one out of town.