Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Valiant effort in the first half. The boys went out looking for blood and we controlled the pace of the game for the first 45 minutes. Aceval really should have done better for their first goal.. Got the wrong side of Gomez and just let him go. Rule one of defending, never let the attacker get goal-side, and that's exactly what he let him do. The ball bounced nicely for Gomez, but even from that position I thought Aceval could have done more to stop the threat.

Santos' second goal was arguably offside, but they did the very same thing in the first game - play down the throats of the CB's and beat them for pace when the ball is played to them. Thought Kocic may have done a little better, but let's not take anything away from Gomez - the lad is class. When you score in the 43rd minute you HAVE to ensure you're going in at the break without conceding another. I think that goal right at the death of the first half changed things for us. If we went got to half time 2-1 up, the game would have been hugely different in the second half.

The less said about the penalties the better. Horrifically clumsy challenge by De Guzman (you really cannot argue that it wasn't a penalty - clear as day), and then a total lapse in concentration by Aceval (again). I wonder if Milos didn't give him a shout to let him know he was behind. Under no pressure whatsoever, what he did made absolutely NO sense and was one of the worst things I've seen in football this season. That killed the game off. No idea why Plata came off at 4-2... I guess AW decided to concentrate on the weekend and admit defeat. Not the sort of thing you should be doing when you have nothing to lose by going all out.

Overall, brave, brave effort initially but a couple of very silly, avoidable mistakes cost us the game. Few things to work on at the training ground that's for sure.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Three goals and a sub?
    Maybe... *sigh*

Damn this team...they had me believing for a second.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't really say any better what has already been said multiple times here. What a great start we had, only to shoot ourselves in the foot. Not just one foot. Both feet, a hand, and the face.

What a great run it was up until here. But really. We could have been in the finals after last night.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    they had me believing for a second.
    That's what killed me last night.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what killed me last night.
    *le sigh*

this club is so much of a cock tease
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stinson looked good in the midfield and Doneil looked good too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said this yesterday in the pre-game thread. God, I scare myself sometimes, my dreams are so accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dv23 View Post
    I had a dream we went up 1-0 in this game. I think we scored a second at some point. Not sure about Santos's final tally, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, I'm EXTREMELY PROUD of MY TEAM and to be honest MYSELF and OTHERS IN THIS GROUP as well...

I never predicted 'doom & gloom' even though we were massive underdogs & expected to lose. I tried to rally us supporters and the lads (who lets be honest, read the public areas) and enjoyed having HOPE instead of pecimism... I got to enjoy the entire run much more than many, not just the wins but the lead up and the matches, as many just had the attitude "we're gonna lose" then were happy when we won...

For those who believed and hoped with me - WE & the LADS HAD A HELL OF A RUN...!!!

Oh the "what ifs" of this game...
    + What if we had Frings... What if we had Koevermans...
    + What if JDG didn't jump in with a foolish/needless tackle...
    + What if the ref waived play on at the point of the 2nd penalty, which many refs would - and some refs call...
    + What if we made it into the 2nd half up 2-1...
    + What if Winter didn't play our starters on Saturday for 90-mins! There would be more gas in the tank...
    But "what ifs" are not the reality unfortunately...

Some thoughts...

+ Other than the 2nd PK call (which I didn't like, incidental contact that didn't take away a scoring chance or movement) I thought the official had a good night. Linesmen too - on most replays he was spot on, a couple each way off, but that's a regular game. The first PK, no brainer penalty, and a STUPID play from a veteran and a DP... Tough to eat that...

+ When we were level or down in the 1st half, PRESSURE led to POSITIVE PLAY... No pressure led to the ball in the back of our net...

+ The crowd at Joes was great. Those there were the true heart of the supporters (for our group) as we went with our heads high, hopes up, and prayers in our hearts - we weren't saying "we won't win this match" and being miserable, we got to enjoy ourselves (even if we knew in our brains, a win was highly unlikely)...

I hope the lads know that for every "we'll get killed" and "we won't win this match, 4-1 Santos" negative sad style post - there are those of us who were with them with our hearts, minds, voices, and souls, even though we were thousands of miles away...

WELL IN LADS... For those of us who believed, you gave us something to believe in and enjoy - for those who didn't, well they can take heart that in their misery they can say 'told ya so'. I'll take hope, passion, pride, and fun - over negativity, sadness, and smugness anyday...

Carts...
    Last edited by Carts; 04-05-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dobson + Forrest = Shit
    Aceval + Harden = Shit (gave up 4 goals collectively)
    Our Central Midfield (DeGuzman, Dunfield, Silva) last night = Shit (non-existent)

- The thing that makes Soolsma good is a combination of his size and ball skill. Can't believe I said that. His small touches on the ball to move to open space to make a cross of just out maneuver a defender (or 3) is so basic and simple that it fucking works!

- Was nice to see Plata play the way he did last night. He was starting to fade, hopefully last night is the turning point he needed to continue where he left of

- Kocic has my 100% confidence for the rest of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can fix mistakes and hopefully get rid of brain farts. With that out of the way we win last night. Proud of how far the boys went. We will be back.

Now on to MLS.

Dom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were let down by a handful of individual performances, elevated by a handful of others. It was a good performance up until about the 48 minute mark, which is when every team seems to start to fade and lose intensity in Mexico. I don't blame the heat or elevation, just the professionalism and focus.

Soolsma, Eckersley and Plata were excellent. Johnston looked a bit lost. Silva is a good technical player, but his defensive read is truly awful. I can honestly see him becoming a striker, his defensive read is so bad. Soolsma, on the other hand, was a fucking demon. I think that's why Winter took him out in the last game: when he just plods down the wing and pumps in crosses, he's nowhere near as effective as when he cuts inside, dishes off the ball, comes back on defence. Great game.

Harden was OK all night. Recovered nicely twice to break up chances. Aceval was a disgrace to professional football; that bad. If anyone saw him overseas, they'd assume we were being punked by Sascha Baron Cohen. DeGuzman's second half was of similarly disgraceful calibre. He stopped running and was playing catchup on defence (although, again, he was covering Aceval's man on the trip).

We need a stud CB. We get that -- or a cohesive pairing of starters (maybe cann and emory, neither of whom has had a game as bad that I remember -- ever -- as Aceval's today. And that's with Emory's soft goal last week) we might still make the playoffs.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm proud of our boys, but I'm very disappointed in a few things that happened. And JDG.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we can rest the debate whether Soolsma sucks or not. This lad can play. Involved in both goals (corner for 1st goal, that inch perfect pass with outside of his boot for 2nd)

He reminds me of one Dutch winger who used to make mincemeat out of TFC back in the day named Dave van den Bergh (but with a right foot instead of left)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG should be benched for Saturday and the reason for it made clear.

I think using a DP slot for a central defender is a recipe for disaster. There would be such an expectation on that person that they will never meet. They'd end up being run out of town.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I just logged on and don't have time to scan all the threads.

Is everyone freaking out? Who are we firing today? Who sucks this week?

Coles notes please.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carts summed it up. Last night with the Joe's lads was great.

I'm proud of the lads. We tried to take it to them and for a moment there, we were in euphoria thinking we were through to the final.

Football. She is a cold, merciless bitch, but we all lover her!
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I think we can rest the debate whether Soolsma sucks or not. This lad can play. Involved in both goals (corner for 1st goal, that inch perfect pass with outside of his boot for 2nd)

He reminds me of one Dutch winger who used to make mincemeat out of TFC back in the day named Dave van den Bergh (but with a right foot instead of left)"

Soolsma's lay off to Plata was one of the nicest passes I've seen in a while. Really deft touch from him. That was a sweet goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Dobson + Forrest = Shit .
    X 1,000,000.

Just aweful. I actually blame them for the loss.

If anyone is on twitter, can you #yousuck them please?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    JDG should be benched for Saturday and the reason for it made clear.

I think using a DP slot for a central defender is a recipe for disaster. There would be such an expectation on that person that they will never meet. They'd end up being run out of town.
    The problem I have with that is that we need a stud back there, which is tough to find for 100k. Rafael Marquez seems to be bossing it for NYRB. He's been up and down and had some clashes, but he's settled a bit and, in the match I watched the other day, his quality was on clear display. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Dobson + Forrest = Shit
    Dobson in particular was getting to me. Captain Obvious!
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem I have with that is that we need a stud back there, which is tough to find for 100k. Rafael Marquez seems to be bossing it for NYRB. He's been up and down and had some clashes, but he's settled a bit and, in the match I watched the other day, his quality was on clear display. I'd take him in a heartbeat.
    To think we gave up Cronin for JDG.

Oh well, if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Happy Christmas.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck no. Marquez is in the running for worst DP ever.

Too slow (and don't give enough fuck on CB). at DM he's better, but Teemu Tainio is outplaying him.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's so hit and miss. Even Marquez was almost run out last year. There would be ZERO margin of error. Unless we could get Puyol, Kompany or Vidic or someone, I think the risk is too big. The LA model with Gonzalez is probably more realistic.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    fuck no. Marquez is in the running for worst DP ever.

Too slow (and don't give enough fuck on CB). at DM he's better, but Teemu Tainio is outplaying him.
    Worst DP ever? Sorry, Yohan, but I do not agree with that assessment. We only need to look to TFC for two DPs who have been infinitely worse than Marquez. He had a bit of a rough ride last season, but watch him this year. The guy's a very good player and I would gladly have him on our team.

It's so hit and miss. Even Marquez was almost run out last year. There would be ZERO margin of error. Unless we could get Puyol, Kompany or Vidic or someone, I think the risk is too big. The LA model with Gonzalez is probably more realistic.
    Another solid option, I agree.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The LA model showed huge flaw. Without Gonzo, LA defence looks just about good as TFC defence. The way New England ripped apart LA defence in LA was comical.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fairness to JDG, he has played very well throughout the CCL tournament. Unfortunately, he picked the worst possible match to shit the bed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worst DP ever? Sorry, Yohan, but I do not agree with that assessment. We only need to look to TFC for two DPs who have been infinitely worse than Marquez. He had a bit of a rough ride last season, but watch him this year. The guy's a very good player and I would gladly have him on our team.
    for the money Marquez makes? Marquez makes 4.6 million per year. For that kind of money, you wouldn't expect NY's defence to suck like it does right now. NY definitely isn't getting value out of Marquez.

The amount of drama and shenanigans he brings, and just plain attitude problem, I would never ever want Marquez for TFC. (and I've seen quite a few NY games this year)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two of Frings plus Koevs sounds good right about now a far as our 3 DP slots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 win in 7 games people.same old story.horrible central d...the one thing we had to improve on from last season was our C D s,big fail by AW and PM.
    bring back velez and garcia,cant be any worse.
    i think we will be nice canadian boys and give mtl there first mls win like we did last year with van.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    for the money Marquez makes? Marquez makes 4.6 million per year. For that kind of money, you wouldn't expect NY's defence to suck like it does right now. NY definitely isn't getting value out of Marquez.

The amount of drama and shenanigans he brings, and just plain attitude problem, I would never ever want Marquez for TFC. (and I've seen quite a few NY games this year)
    He's only played two games this season after his suspension. They've won both.