Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Post game: TFC 2 - 6 Santos

Huge huge goal by Gomez at the end of the first half. Class finish, the guy's a beast.

Incredibly stupid challenge by De Guzman to give away the first penalty, I don't know what he was thinking. You can't make those mistakes if you want to be a leader on the pitch, I don't care how good a game he had otherwise.

Aceval with the most hilarious/depressing way to give up a penalty. Brutal doesn't even begin to describe it, that was just sad. It will be remembered for a long long time.

On the bright side Soolsma was terrific. He wreaks havoc and keeps up pressure all game.

Henry is the future at CB, Winter better start playing him NOW.

This rollercoaster season continues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it wasn't such a waste of my time I'd make a highlight reel of goals against where the opposition player who scores is wide open in no mans land and 5 seconds later you see JDG jogging up to the spot he should have been 6 seconds ago. It happens so many times I feel like I'm in a timewarp. It's ALWAYS JDG JOGGING UP LATE.

I'm not even going to begin talking about the penalties.

edit: Just to add some positive vibes...

Plata is the fucking man, he is clutch. He might be in the midst of a sophomore slump but shit, he's 20 and has a lot of solid playing ahead of him. Can't wait till he picks it up in MLS this season.
    Last edited by Couchy81; 04-04-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no rollercoaster season when you've won only 1 game in the CCL/MLS combined.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No complaints from me. I was thoroughly entertained/devastated (isn't that what footy is supposed to do?) in the 1st half. I was beginning to believe.

The 2nd half was a shitshow. But since I wasn't expecting to come out of it with a result, I don't think I am as devastated as some. It was a good run. The team and coaches should hold be proud of the overall performance albeit subtracting this last 45 minutes.

Can someone explain the whole "proximity" issue to me? I keep reading statements about how the Aceval PK was not warraned beacuse of the closeness of the opposition? Never heard of that before...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before the first penalty I was saying that DeGuzman was a total liability. He frequently gave the ball away, made bad challenges, and when he was beat he's nonchalantly stroll back in the direction of the play. They took the wrong midfielder off for Stinson. As good as this game was for most of the rest of the roster, I think this is the game that has turned me from a neutral to one of the JDG detractors.

Also, the sportsnet feed was brutal. Between the variable speed streaming and 10 second jumps I was spending more time screaming at the feed than I was at the play on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before the forum descends into De Guzman is the worst player ever, he gave up a penalty, I realize it, now on to other thoughts more than just De Guzman cost us the game.

--Sucks that we lost this way giving up two penalties, and having two of our goals cleared off the line.

--Let's give Henry a chance, please don't fool yourselves into thinking he's ready but give him a chance.

--Our team gave up for the last 10 minutes

--Aceval had a truly bad game

--Although we had a good first half, doesn't matter, and anyone who saw the Seattle game should know that as Seattle at Half-time was going to go through.

--Santos deserved to win.

This is sorta of how I feel
    Last edited by Dkolish3; 04-04-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG cost us the game. He has cost us many games and NEVER has shown up in big moments. The 6-2 score is such a fucking ridiculous flattering scoreline, we deserved such a better fate up until JDG decided to make the worst play I would say in TFC history. We were through at that point in the match, defending well, getting them on the break and well in the match thus far. The worm turned once he pulled a typical move (so much so I was reminded of the time he jumped OUT of the way of a kick in Colorado for a goal). It hurts to much right now to be happy about going so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another baffeling decision by winter to sub Plata - our best attacking player by far. Anybody have any idea why he took him of?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hate losing, but I wasn't expecting to win. What bugs me is the boneheaded way in which we lost. Standing around on the 2nd Santos goal instead of pressuring in the midfield gave their player all the time he needed to pick out Gomez' run, which was then misplayed by our D. Both of their first half goals were eminently avoidable. I was screaming at the TV for them to press and they gave the guy yards of space to pick out Gomez.

When we lose because we are just beaten, then I can hold my head up high. When we lose because we shit the bed, then it hurts. JDG's play was completely unworthy of a captain and a DP. Aceval...well...not much to say. Everyone has brain farts. Their goal in the death of the first half was more on the front line players not pressuring the ball up high, giving the Santos players all the time they needed to pick out their passes. You can't do that with a team that has passing of this level. Then we got the JDG coup de grace.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a good run. Beating Santos at home was a stretch, but controlling that first half is a good sign of things to come.

I'm trying to be positive here, even thought I'm gutted

I'd really like to see the TFC Academy compete in the Amway Canadian Championship. We really need to focus on one thing at a time - we've seen what happens when we do, Toronto FC fell 3 times in MLS but it was clear they were thinking of the CCL first and foremost.

Focus on the league, we are still in it, the Eastern Conference can be kind to us. We really need to pull it together on that respect. Other than that, good on Joao Plata on his two goals, good on Toronto for repping Canada all the way to the final four, hopefully Canada is given an automatic berth in the CCL groups now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuckity fuck!

football!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bottomline...1 win in 7 games,,the one thing we had to fix is the middle of our d.management fail again,
    jus play henry and cann please..what do we got to lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stack it up however we want, when the rubber hits the road MLS side will be underdogs against the Mexicans. Not exactly in a Real Madrid apoel sense, but there is a quality difference that is noticeable. RSL did unbelievably well to get to the finals a little while back and TFC really should take some pride in how far they've gone. No need to shit on our players really ... someone would have been exposed one way or another.

Focus should solidly back on the league now, where we've build ourselves a mini-hole to dig out of. No need to dwell on this

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Another baffeling decision by winter to sub Plata - our best attacking player by far. Anybody have any idea why he took him of?
    play him on Sunday?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me that 2nd goal from Gomez was offside and that changed the complexion of the game. Getting a result was always going to be tough, realistically. I will be very happy when JDG is gone from the team - that foul for the penalty was terrible and he just looks incapable out there far too often for a DP.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Huge huge goal by Gomez at the end of the first half. Class finish, the guy's a beast.

Incredibly stupid challenge by De Guzman to give away the first penalty, I don't know what he was thinking. You can't make those mistakes if you want to be a leader on the pitch, I don't care how good a game he had otherwise.

Aceval with the most hilarious/depressing way to give up a penalty. Brutal doesn't even begin to describe it, that was just sad. It will be remembered for a long long time.

On the bright side Soolsma was terrific. He wreaks havoc and keeps up pressure all game.

Henry is the future at CB, Winter better start playing him NOW.

This rollercoaster season continues.
    Pretty much sums it up. I'd add that Plata played really well too - and Kocic made some great saves to keep us in it early on. The penalties killed us though and there's not much more you can say than that.

My other point is probably one that most people will hate. I really don't think the winner of the Voyageurs Cup should be getting a spot in this tournament. It was an amazing run and I wasn't complaining that we were in it. But really - come on. We have never made the playoffs in our league yet we're competing in a tournament of "Champions"? I don't think beating Edmonton and Vancouver is really a massive achievement.

They should keep the V-Cup, but just make it a national open cup (like the FA Cup and Scottish Cup). The CL spots should go to the top 3 or 4 teams in MLS regular season play. Just like they do in Europe. It'd certainly make the MLS regular season more exciting.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am really proud that they made it as far as they did, too bad they fell short on effort for that last 45.

I don't understand having DeGuz as a DP if he can only play when Frings is in the lineup. At this piont with his experience he should be able to play his own game and make a stronger contribution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why it's being taken as an overly negative thought that we lost the game on our mistakes. I think that's much better than getting hoofed in the teeth like Seattle did. We proved to ourselves, our club, that we can walk into the lion's den and fucking boss them around. We did that in the 1st, we were without a doubt the superior. I'm floored by that and I think it will invoke a confidence and inspiration in our club going forward. If that doesn't drive and motivate our club to continue taking it to the next level, then I don't know what would.

Face it, from the 1st to the 60th minute we were mostly the better, they began to pour it on and we made further mistakes. That it's, our 4 mistakes cost us 4 goals. The skill level of that side tells us that you can't make those mistakes and we've learned our lesson. The two final goals mean little as TFC had conceded at that point, but it did further illustrate that sides like this won't miss when opportunity is given. They are that much greater in natural skill.

I think the Winter haters can slow down their talk about now, our club was prepared to win. His gameplan was excellent, our boys found tonnes of space and outside of our mistakes were pretty excellent spraying the ball down the wings and moving through the middle. Mental mistakes (and a hilarious handball) were the difference.

So be it gents, we weren't supposed to get anywhere close to where we got to, yet we did, we proved we belonged and we grew immensely as a club. Montreal is in for the wrath of hell when we begin our next journey for a CCL title and heck, even this weekend.

Fantastic run, fantastic effort, one huge step forward for Toronto FC. Nothing to be mad about. You have to learn to win these types of games and that was a great lesson in teaching us what we need to know.

My one big disappointment is the play of Ryan Johnson. His emotions have gotten the better of him and he's put himself off his own game. Stop complaining about every little thing RJ, give a better effort. Too much rage and walking in that match, he gave up too easily and needs to not let his frustration get the better of him.

Last thing, holy moley did Doneil Henry grow from that Olympic qualifying run or what? We might have a stud on our hands and I'm really excited for him. I'm thrilled to have 2 Canadian defenders showing such fantastic promise for the future.
    Last edited by ryan; 04-05-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Before the first penalty I was saying that DeGuzman was a total liability. He frequently gave the ball away, made bad challenges, and when he was beat he's nonchalantly stroll back in the direction of the play. They took the wrong midfielder off for Stinson. As good as this game was for most of the rest of the roster, I think this is the game that has turned me from a neutral to one of the JDG detractors.

Also, the sportsnet feed was brutal. Between the variable speed streaming and 10 second jumps I was spending more time screaming at the feed than I was at the play on the field.
    Me too, this game sealed my opinion on JDG. I have gone from being neutral to against him on the team completely. As decent as he CAN be occasionaly, his fuckups just won't end. Now there is just no excuse. I just wish Winter would stop playing him. I think Stinson can do better and develop into a solid player instead. Even Silva or Avila.

What he did last night was absolutely unacceptable. I hope he is not going to ruin the season for us.

Aceval's defending was not good enough.

TFC is so frustrating with their absolute shit of a defence. (minus Ecks)

I just don't think that ANY of CBs that Toronto has right now can help us. I don't think Cann's on the ball game is good enough. He's an average defender at best. I also think Williams is average. Aceval has been dissapointing.

Henry and Maund are our future, but they are way to young to help us just yet.
    Last edited by nickio; 04-05-2012 at 08:06 AM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borga View Post
    To me that 2nd goal from Gomez was offside and that changed the complexion of the game. Getting a result was always going to be tough, realistically. I will be very happy when JDG is gone from the team - that foul for the penalty was terrible and he just looks incapable out there far too often for a DP.
    It looked onside to me. The real issue on that goal was how much time our forwards and midfield gave the passer to pick out the pass. Watch the buildup and see everyone standing waiting for the whistle instead of hurrying the pass. We gave them way too much time on the ball. Yes, individual errors killed us, but that sort of play allowed them to expose our weak defense.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I am really proud that they made it as far as they did, too bad they fell short on effort for that last 45.

I don't understand having DeGuz as a DP if he can only play when Frings is in the lineup. At this piont with his experience he should be able to play his own game and make a stronger contribution.
    Agree. With his experience, he should know that the way he charged the Santos player, it's either going to be a foul or a dive. Both would result in a penalty.

There is no shame in losing this one. I am proud of the team. Let's focus on league play.
    RWN - SoctoberFest! Champion '11, TFC Supporters Cup Champs '10, Indoor Champs '10 & '09, Niagara Cup Champs '09 & '08.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It looked onside to me. The real issue on that goal was how much time our forwards and midfield gave the passer to pick out the pass. Watch the buildup and see everyone standing waiting for the whistle instead of hurrying the pass. We gave them way too much time on the ball. Yes, individual errors killed us, but that sort of play allowed them to expose our weak defense.
    I know this is not an excuse or anything, but the same linesman called that same ball offside for the entire first half, very consistantly.

I am glad the guys didnt throw up their arms and stand still. They took their medicine and accepted the call but it was a little annoying from the perspective I had on the TV.

Anyhow, its time to pack up and head to Montreal and support the boys. Hopefully they start showing more signs of concentration when it comes to MLS play and get some results.
    Last edited by Phil; 04-05-2012 at 08:19 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nickio View Post
    Me too, this game sealed my opinion on JDG. I have gone from being neutral to against him on the team completely.
    +1

He started out the game with a fantastic defensive play, then proceeded to play like crap for the rest of the match. Not DP-worthy, and not even squad-player worthy. He has real skills, but his inconsistency makes him a liability. Add to that the fact that he wastes a DP slot we could use on a CB, and I can hardly wait until his contract is up, and I was one of his supporters here.

Aceval played so badly, I was wondering if the money-men who fix CONCACAF matches had gotten to him. Maybe not, perhaps he just can't take the pressure.

I'm still proud of our team for making it this far, it's a huge accomplishment. Now to concentrate on league play before it's too late.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-05-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I thought Eckersley played Gomez onside. That isn't the controversy. The "controversy", if such a word is possible in a game decided 6-2, is that there were 2 minutes added instead of one. There had been one sub, no injuries, and only one diving/time wasting episode.

God, to think we held a two-goal margin at the stroke of halftime ....
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highly entertaining first half, but the wheels fell off the wagon in the second half. Without Frings on the pitch we don't have a clear leader to "pick the boys up" after conceding goals. They looked completely dejected after the second penalty...

Nonetheless, a great run by a club who's form over the last year dictated they shouldn't even have been in this semi-final. At the end of the day, football is about entertainment and apart from the second half last night, the CCL games in 2012 have been highly entertaining. Kudos to TFC for finally providing us with a bit...

Some observations from last night (aside from the poor games by JDG and Aceval (wonder if he actually was fully fit/recovered?), notably):

- As much potential as Morgan has he was very poor last night - he was giving Suarez WAY too much space all night - that essentially led to both penalties (goals), not to mention numerous other chances...
    - not to be be picky but Kocic needs to be screaming his head off to Aceval on the second penalty - no green shirts around so Aceval doesn't need to play that...Kocic's job to let him know that...
    - RJ, Plata and Soolsma created a lot out of nothing and took their few opportunities well
    - we have WAY too big a hole between our back 5 (7?) and our three forwards - doesn't allow us to retain possession or sustain pressure and give our defenders a chance to recoup/regroup and hence they are always under siege. Hence the majority of the time we are simply countering and if that fails pressure is right back on our defenders...case in point: 65% possession advantage to Santos last night
    - Silva has wonderful feet and pretty good vision and I'd like to see the ball at his feet more - he was largely a non-factor in this game

Proud of the CCL run, fun to watch. Now on to some consistency in the league please.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^I thought Eckersley played Gomez onside. That isn't the controversy. The "controversy", if such a word is possible in a game decided 6-2, is that there were 2 minutes added instead of one. There had been one sub, no injuries, and only one diving/time wasting episode.

God, to think we held a two-goal margin at the stroke of halftime ....
    turning point of the match, along with JDG giving up penalty. had a sinking feeling in my stomach when that happened...

still proud of the lads despite the result. we play like this every game, no reason why tfc can't make it to the play offs
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan kind of summed up my thinking. I know this sounds crazy, but I left that game have some hope for our defence. We showed over most of two legs that we can tactically defend as a team against, let's face it, the best club team in our region. The goals we allowed were stupid individual mistakes. The first was Aceval trying to step in front of his mark instead of staying goal side. I think the second was off from all the angles I saw. And JDG on the third. Individual mistakes are easier to fix than having to adjust the whole thing. I think we did really well keeping our shape, getting players behind the ball when we lost possession and mostly stopping any flow forward. We should concentrate on playing tight like that, and we'll be ok.

This is a far better club than where we are in the league. We still have to show it, but the pieces are there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not think the score reflected the game at all. Granted Santos deserved the win but the stats clearly showed the TFC had a chance to steal this. The Aceval penalty was just clumsy bad luck and De Gizman's was dumb. I thought Morgan was our worst player in D. Santos defence was very suspect and a better team woud have buried them. Oh well, back to the League ; let the dissapointments continue ......

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I know this is not an excuse or anything, but the same linesman called that same ball offside for the entire first half, very consistantly.

I am glad the guys didnt throw up their arms and stand still. They took their medicine and accepted the call but it was a little annoying from the perspective I had on the TV.

Anyhow, its time to pack up and head to Montreal and support the boys. Hopefully they start showing more signs of concentration when it comes to MLS play and get some results.
    I'm not quite ready to move on . Probably tomorrow.

That goal was not the linesman, it was our guys standing around. We can pin it on Harden for getting beaten, but that was a team effort to shit the bed. You have to play until the whistle. All I can say is, watch the buildup for the real reason we conceded on 47 goddamn minutes

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we lose 6-2 I can't hang it all on JDG. Our defense in general is spectacularly bad. I have seen a seasons worth of them being chipped and outrun since the first LA game. It got Frings hurt too. We're going to need to start winning 4-3 to have any chance. Harden and Aceval need to sit for a game, I don't care who goes in their place.....put in Stinson and Lambe at this point, they'd be as effective.