Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I keep hearing some corners promote a Canadian-only league but it wouldn't fly. Your idea of a Canadian-only 2nd division I like.
    Trying to begin with a Canadian first division is likely a non starter. For all the capital, geographic, support reasons that have been mentioned. It would be nice to see an attempt to start somewhere with an eventual goal in mind. I don't see why a top tier Canadian league should be categorized as never being able to happen. That's what makes the suggestion of building from a lower level interesting. I've watched CSL matches. I actually find them entertaining. Many have had more flow than some TFC matches I've watched. It has been interesting to see how Andrea Lombardo has performed at Portugal FC. I thought Milos Kocic made the most of his time with the Serbian White Eagles. Dare to dream I guess.

Imagine a NCC where it isn't just the 4 North American teams that play, but some semi-pro teams get a shot as well. Sort of like the league cups in Europe.

You may see some upsets and in the process, interest in local, smaller clubs might grow
    Maybe something like an open cup where the winner earns a qualifying match against a lower division team to gain entry into the NCC?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BWUAHAHAHAHA!!! GOOD ON YOU JIMMY!

Stinkin' Dana White...what a douche.

I boxed for years and I know what it takes to participate in both sports. Neither sport should be mocking the other and the fact that Dana White does to soccer only shows a massive level of ignorance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Keep it regional till playoffs. It's one of the reasons they were invented.
    Isn't that what they do in Junior Hockey in Canada?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    that sounds pretty damn boring, even if you're looking at like 15 team league. imagine playing same team like 6 times before playoffs?
    Yeah if it was only a 15 team league. But why does it have to be? The entire CSL could be one division. The PCSL another. The link is weak geographically in the prairies for numbers but its more important the leagues are linked. Separate they will never grow. That sounds more appetizing than sorting out the American soccer pyramid.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BayernTFC View Post
    Isn't that what they do in Junior Hockey in Canada?
    Aye. And I'd say they're doin alright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Guess that just means we'll have to play their game and flop about like fish out of water, go down at the slightest hint of contact.I don't think the game should be played that way, but hey, if it helps us beat those bitches and advance, I'm all for it.
    I do the obvious in these games - bring'em hell even worse...

They want to drop like they're hurt - well, hurt them...!!!

Over-acting after dives can help us... Yes they will win the free-kick. Santos will dive, the official will buy that its a foul. But because of the lead up, he may not buy into the rolling in pain option - until he sees the replay after the game and realizes that ya, we did stomp an ankle - elbow the ribs - knee on knee foul...

They want to act like they're in pain - well, put them IN PAIN!!!!
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    I do the obvious in these games - bring'em hell even worse...

They want to drop like they're hurt - well, hurt them...!!!

Over-acting after dives can help us... Yes they will win the free-kick. Santos will dive, the official will buy that its a foul. But because of the lead up, he may not buy into the rolling in pain option - until he sees the replay after the game and realizes that ya, we did stomp an ankle - elbow the ribs - knee on knee foul...

They want to act like they're in pain - well, put them IN PAIN!!!!
    remind yourself to wash the war paint off when you go to bed tonight... and freshly reapplied tomorrow morning
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I boxed for years and I know what it takes to participate in both sports. Neither sport should be mocking the other and the fact that Dana White does to soccer only shows a massive level of ignorance.
    DANA WHITE = cock fighting for humans

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Further to this, (whats netiquette on quoting yourself? LOL! ) it reminds of the high school I went to in Brampton after I moved out of Toronto in my last couple of years of secondary school, and there was a bunch of hockey players who mocked everything that wasn't hockey. Whether it be soccer or basketball (both of which were popular in Brampton). It angered me back then to see these palookas be so ignorant about another sport just because it didn't involve beating the snot out of another athlete.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    How many people cared or even knew about the Voyageurs Cup when it was handed out in USL?

The competition has gone from who go the most points between each other in league play to an actual tournament that people know is happening with sponsors and a spot in an international tournament. Patience. The trophy now has more meaning than ever before.

Do you think people could call a Canadian league playing with 8 or so teams, playing in mostly CFL or university stadiums, with 3,000 people watching a joke? Or would a regional leagues playing at high school stadiums with a few hundred fans looking on be taken seriously? With MLS right next door? That is what Canada would be looking at. How many champions league spots do you think those type of leagues would be awarded from CONCACAF?

In an ideal world the Voyageurs Cup would be Canada's version of the FA Cup. Regional league teams playing in the early rounds with winners moving on to compete with the NASL and MLS clubs.
    I fully agree with all of this, I'm a supporter of the cup, but it needs to be MORE important. Add regional teams from the CSL, add the Ottawa NASL team when they get there, add the top Canadian team in the USL, this would even allow for the development of the smaller clubs by playing against TFC and Vancouver, hell add some semi-pro teams from lower Canadian teams, the more grassroots this can be made, the more that soccer culture will sink into the country.

And I don't buy in to the whole "Canada is tied to the states for sports" argument, I never have. I don't think this country gives itself enough credit.
    Last edited by TFCBarrie; 04-03-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

remind yourself to wash the war paint off when you go to bed tonight... and freshly reapplied tomorrow morning
    Will do...!!!!

HELL'S COMING WITH US...!!!!
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those aholes at sportnet are showing the barca-ac milan game on sportsnet world not the regular network..wtf

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that sounds pretty damn boring, even if you're looking at like 15 team league. imagine playing same team like 6 times before playoffs?
    Why would you be playing them 6 times? In a 15 team league you play each other twice for 30 games, then you have playoff's and different cup formats for the champions, eventually leading to the NCC. TFC, Montreal and Vancouver could stay in the MLS (similar to what Wales does, with Cardiff and Swansea playing in the English leagues and not in the Welsh Premier League).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone going down to Mexico to see the game?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does dana white know what a red card is?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCBarrie View Post
    Why would you be playing them 6 times? In a 15 team league you play each other twice for 30 games, then you have playoff's and different cup formats for the champions, eventually leading to the NCC. TFC, Montreal and Vancouver could stay in the MLS (similar to what Wales does, with Cardiff and Swansea playing in the English leagues and not in the Welsh Premier League).
    I meant if 15 teams across Canada, and as FYR suggests, play each other only regionally before playoffs. meaning, 5 teams would play each other regionally (if divided East, Central, West) before going to playoffs
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jimmy Conrad used to be quite a tackler as a defender... lol

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant if 15 teams across Canada, and as FYR suggests, play each other only regionally before playoffs. meaning, 5 teams would play each other regionally (if divided East, Central, West) before going to playoffs
    got you, sorry Yohan, I Mis-interpreted that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the talk of a Canadian league reminds me we tried to do this in Canada in the early 1990s. Remember the Canadian Soccer League (not to be confused with the current CSL)? We even had a team in London (the London Lasers) playing out of the old Western Mustangs football stadium. My youth coach at the time played for the Lasers. Syd Marsch, a really speedy blond Welsh guy. Anyway, all this trip down memory lane is meant to say we tried a pro league in Canada and it folded pretty quickly. MLS is a much better platform.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL Dana White XI vs Jimmy Conrad XI
    I love it!
    That should be the MLS All-Star Game halftime show

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    All the talk of a Canadian league reminds me we tried to do this in Canada in the early 1990s. Remember the Canadian Soccer League (not to be confused with the current CSL)? We even had a team in London (the London Lasers) playing out of the old Western Mustangs football stadium. My youth coach at the time played for the Lasers. Syd Marsch, a really speedy blond Welsh guy. Anyway, all this trip down memory lane is meant to say we tried a pro league in Canada and it folded pretty quickly. MLS is a much better platform.
    I would suggest that Canada as a soccer nation is 100x larger and more caring than it was 20 years ago.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And a better platform than the old NASL...

MLS is the accepted successful tier one in NA. I speak of a stronger, united national league that would make the rest of the US soccer pyramid here irrelevant and strengthen the countries game.

For example I'd love to see 2 CSL teams in London creating rivalries (not St Patricks day riots though) in a stronger CSL than this PDL competing. Do they ever play each other in friendlies, even?
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 04-03-2012 at 02:05 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjones View Post
    does dana white know what a red card is?
    He'll probably think, if you've collected the most by the end of the game, you've won.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only issue with a pro league in Canada is infrastructure, as regionalizing loops can address the travel issue.

I believe Canadians are passionate footie fans. I've seen nothing but, every time they're given a good chance to show it.

But we're also expecting a certain level of professionalism. And THAT is all that has been lacking from other efforts: infrastructure, because you can't make it work without a proper stadium atmosphere, and professionalism.

People forget that pro lacrosse teams get 9,000 a game in Canada. Do people really think we couldn't make a go of it budgeting for 10,000 a game for soccer (bigger than most pro leagues around the world, it should be noted)?

The only impediment (other than investors with balls and foresight) is that in order to offer the right level of professionalism, the infrastructure has to be there, and that's a pretty huge speed bump. It would take lots of government buy in, lots of community involvement to justify off-time use, a spread of sizes based on community "buy in". Even if you go cheap with a framework style stadium like Empire Field, you're looking at $20-30 million per community.

I think number crunchers could make it work based on the long-term, but it takes more vision and risk than the business community and government is willing -- and a recognition by those two groups of the dormant, unrepresented hard-core fan base that exists out there, due to the COMMUNITY of football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I followed some of FC Edmonton last year and I didn't mind the structure of the latest incarnation of the NASL. I actually felt that fewer teams helped me become more familiar with the other teams Edmonton was playing against. I have no connection to the other teams in the league and I didn't watch the US teams when they were playing each other, so it didn't bother me. Some people like the NHL's 82 game season or the long seasons in other NA sports leagues. I find those boring. How about best of seven playoff series? They're great for generating money, but I think they last too long and I'd rather watch a two-legged tie. Didn't the NHL start with 6 teams?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal is playing their academy in the USDA league

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...t-academy.html

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.tout.com/m/wh8crk

BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.tout.com/m/wh8crk

BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston
    Nice. And then they're going to add poly-carbonate panels to extend the roof to the edge of the seats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adrian Serioux + Dana White = White's legs broken = Nuke