0 Thread(s)

Default pregame TFC vs Chivas USA @BMO- April 14th

Please,discuss the game only!

-----------Kocic-----------
    -Ecks-Henry-Aceval-Morgan-
    -----------Burgos----------
    --------Silva---Avila--------
    -----Solsma-Koef-Johnson-----
    Last edited by denime; 04-08-2012 at 09:17 AM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-----------JDG----------
    --------Lambe---Silva--------
    -----Soolsma-Johnson-Plata-----

I like your back four. I know everyone hates JDG because of how much he costs but really you can't take that into account when making the roster. We are stuck with him, we might as well use him.

Koef has seemed to be unwilling to run so bench the fatty and no more dutch chocolate for him. Lambykins is a little soft, but I think his speed is good and I really like Avila but I would rather see him sub in for him (vice versa would likely be OK too, Lambe is a good sub)

Chivas will NOT be a walk in the park. Their 4-5-1 / 4-2-3-1 will be hard to create chances against, just watched the game against Portland and if we don't rock them hard we will not break their defense and they will get goals on a few counter attacks.

A good strategy may be to do the same thing that Winter did against LA and have the 'anti offside-trap, trap' going where he puts a forward a couple of meters obviously offside and makes the Chivas defense move further upfield where they are less comfortable and we can do the 'third man run' thing to create our chances.

Anyone smarter than me have some input on how to best beat Chivas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an absolute must win scenario, and not just because of the implications in the standings. The boys have not tasted victory since the glorious upset in Los Angeles, and it's crucial that they get back into the win column on home soil for their collective state of mind moving forward.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will be no walk in the cake. This team went into Portland last night and took full points. Guess who got the winner...
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter...or-v-chv/recap
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as much as i think Koevermans needs to find his touch this year still i think he should be starting every game.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mariobuzzeo11 View Post
    as much as i think Koevermans needs to find his touch this year still i think he should be starting every game.

Yep.

He was always a poacher in Holland and it's not as if we are blessed with a midfield that can provide service to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-----------Dunfield----------
    --------JDG--Silva--------
    Soolsma-Koevermans-Johnson

Harsh to leave Lambe out but couldn't fit him in.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    This is an absolute must win scenario, and not just because of the implications in the standings.
    Bad news then, because without Frings, a tie is the best I'd see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Stinson-Ecks-Aceval-Morgan-
    -----------JDG----------
    --------Avila--Silva--------
    Johnson-Koevermans-Plata

We need to play our best players. Ecks adds steal and some speed to the back line from Center Back. Stinson did well when we covered at right back last year for a bit. I'm with you guys, we need a win big time. Let's see our creative hispanic contingency come to life.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SCF1908 View Post
    Yep.

He was always a poacher in Holland and it's not as if we are blessed with a midfield that can provide service to him.
    Like you said, he is a poacher. He 'waits for service' but if we don't have someone to serve him he doesn't do much.

I think Frings IS the missing part, he is so good at stopping the opposition play and starting our attack, Koef is a super finisher but without a proper start there is nothing to finish so we need to keep the ball in their half 'attack, attack, attack' which DK is less useful for.

Oh well, at least I get to yell 'run fatty' next week if he starts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally believe we're already out of the playoffs, but a loss against Chivas would seal it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    I personally believe we're already out of the playoffs, but a loss against Chivas would seal it.
    I know it has felt like having your heart broken on a weekly basis, and losing yesterday REALLY sucked but isn't calling us out of the playoffs 4 games into a 34 game season a little OTT?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    No way. You need more data to sort the signal from the noise. You have to see where we are after 9 or 10 games. Every team goes on 3 or 4 game win streaks or skids a couple of times a year.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-08-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Koevs got off the mark in Montreal - it would be a mistake to bench him after that. It often just takes that first goal for a forward to get going after a barren spell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    No way. You need more data to sort the signal from the nose. You have to see where we are after 9 or 10 games. Every team goes on 3 or 4 game win streaks or skids a couple of times a year.
    And with lack of depth across this league, most teams can fall apart with a few key injuries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kansas City was last in the East on week 11 last year, guys. doomsaying now is silly

3 points on paper - probably a 1-0, hopefully a 2-0. we'll see if it happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You do realize KC started off with 10 road games while Livestrong was being built

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gallade View Post
    Kansas City was last in the East on week 11 last year, guys. doomsaying now is silly

_3 points on paper - probably a 1-0, hopefully a 2-0. we'll see if it happens.
    Kc was on the middle of a huge road trip. I think they played first 10 or so games away while livestrong park was being completed.

Tfc doesnt have the luxury of getting a lot of home games later in this season like kc did lasy yr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another reason winning this game is important - if we don't, it will be our worst start to the season ever. Even worse than the first year when our first win came in game 5.

While at the end of the day, points are what matter and not stuff like this - I still think being worse than year one on any level isn't acceptable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    Oh well, at least I get to yell 'run fatty' next week if he starts.
    why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could someone tell me what a win looks and feels like? I honestly don't remember what that feels like. Imagining Toronto getting a win in MLS play is like some kind of a fantasy/sci-fi image.

What does one do when his/her team actually wins a game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its more of a must-win game for the mood around here than for mathematical reasons...

A loss means the boo-birds will be out, posts on here will be filled with venom, and every Toronto sports writer will be calling for Winter's head...

There's plenty of games/points available to make one of those playoff spots - but so many losses so early, our current staff might not get the chance...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GhostKiller View Post
    why?
    Because I call him fatty...

Ya, pot calling kettle and all that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nickio View Post
    Could someone tell me what a win looks and feels like? I honestly don't remember what that feels like. Imagining Toronto getting a win in MLS play is like some kind of a fantasy/sci-fi image.

What does one do when his/her team actually wins a game?
    It's better than sex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did anyone watch Kocic on cp24 this morning?
    speaking on this saturdays game... "very important points for us" "we are expecting a big crowd"
    speaking on the support in montreal "it felt amazing in montreal" "it felt like playing at home"

good kid he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Logan Emory's Twitter: "We must live to learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools... MLK #TFC"

Uh-oh... This seems familiar.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a statement game. my heart says no excuse why TFC can't take 3 pts, but my mind says likely a draw

Koevermans have been getting more dangerous each passing game (he had 3 quality chances vs Mtl with 1 goal) and couple of half chances, plus he almost caused an own goal last game. So Danny K is getting enough service, and Chivas USA defence can be pretty topsy turvy. See exhibit A http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter...videoID=181665

But Chivas USA have two road wins so far, one away at RSL (one of hardest places to get a point in MLS) and a comeback victory vs Portland last Sat. Like TFC, Chivas USA is a team in a bit of flux, and they can play in spurts, but a lot of times can't put it all together consistently for 90mins.

I predict a 1-1 draw, but I want to see some heart and passion from the lads this week and win, just to show us that this team actually cares
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto's on 0-0-4 with 9 goals against, and only 2 produced by our strikers (Koevermans, Johnson) I would like to give the kids a run about, these guys just arnt doing it. Lets see some kids who want to prove themselves.

GK: Kocic
    D: Eckersley (C), Henry, Aceval, Morgan
    M: Stinson, Burgos Jr, Silva
    F: Lambe, Koevermans, Johnson

Kocic - He's the only option for this one, its a lock. He's the only healthy goalkeeper we've got that we can trust in net.
    Eckersley - Who else to put at rightback but our English bulldog?
    Henry - Got some good experience at the olympic qualifiers, good with his head, lets give him a chance to build on it.
    Aceval - It was a close one between him and Maund, personally if Emory wasn't suspended again it would give me a long thinking process, but i'm going to go with Aceval because of his one assist, his dead-ball skill, and the fact Maund isn't ready yet.
    Morgan - Again, he's unchallenged at his position, Emory is suspended, and he's constantly pushing for the win. Sometimes he's caught out of position, but when we're down a goal and he's pushing up trying to assist the wingers? I can't complain. He's learning, and again unchallenged.
    Stinson - HA! Why do we not play this youth product over Dunfield anyways? Near the end of the 2011 season he was really progressing.
    Burgos Jr - Partly because I want to see De Guzmans ass warming the bench, and partly because I want to see what he's got.
    Silva - He's leading the team in shots (though none on goal ) You can't score if you don't shoot, and Avila has nothing skill wise on this guy, I don't like Johnson playing at AM either.
    Lambe - Registered an assist in the last game, improving every game I see him play in, doesn't seem to have the speed we were promised, but he tracks back to defend, he's big, and I think he could be a real assist leader.
    Koevemans - Broke the goal scoring rust off in Montreal, near the end of the game I saw the fight go back into him. Screaming for the ball on his head, demanding the troops, almost trying to inspire his midfielders behind him. Practically looked like he was saying "I CAN TIE THIS THING." with one gesture.
    Johnson - With him and Koevermans going near-and-far in the second half when I would like to see Plata have a run out against tired defenders slamming balls into the box. You don't think he could get his head on it? Sometimes I feel like Johnson is the only one playing with heart, and ontop of that you can see him putting fear and pressure on the defenders.

Subs in the 2nd: Plata for Lambe, De Guzman for Burgos/Stinson, Maund/Cann for Aceval

Who knows? Maybe i'm wrong, but I would enjoy an entertaining match at BMO Field. I want to see the kids get a run out.
    Obviously somebody somewhere is going to disagree with me. But oh well, thats my opinion. I'm not looking to be an expert.

Edit: I just realized I left Soolsma out. I just couldn't find a spot for him, I would definitely like to see him on the pitch, I agree with everyone who says he's improving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Please,discuss the game only!

-----------Burgos----------
    --------Silva---Avila--------
    -----Solsma-Koef-Johnson-----
    I like this. I've been hoping we'd get to Silva and Avila start in the midfield together for a few games now. I hope Cann is ready to go at CB this week. I doubt that Burgos is going to leapfrog both JDG and Dunfield on the depth chart to get this start, although I think they both need sit a game. I've never seen Burgos so I don't know what he brings. Stinson could definitely add some 'steal' behind Avila and Silva.

Can we retire JDG and pay him millions to be a community relations ambassador to free up cap space?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    Edit: I just realized I left Soolsma out. I just couldn't find a spot for him, I would definitely like to see him on the pitch, I agree with everyone who says he's improving.
    I like your lineup (and post in general) but it was too long to quote. This last bit though I think needed to be highlighted. Soolsma, who has been so strong for us, couldn't find a spot in your lineup. Plus Plata, many people's go to guy on offense, didn't get into the starting lineup. Things like this people need to realize are reason for hope. I think there is talent going forward. Our squad has one glaring hole which unfortunately is right in front of the keeper.

It's early in the week still for lineups but I'm thinking

--------------Kocic-----------
    -Ecks--Henry--Aceval--Morgan-
    ---------Stinson--JDG---------
    --------------Silva------------
    -Soolsma--Koevermans--Lambe-