Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Is that their 1st or 2nd string line up on the field right now ..? I see that only 3 outfield players that started vs. TFC are in the starting lineup for this game ..
    I count mostly first team... though I admit that I don't know much about FMF

http://www.goal.com/en-us/match/7557...a/lineup-stats
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Santos playing like they got some pent up frustration or something. 3-0 Santos
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Which means it was mostly reserves vs. TFC ..
    Hopefully we see a a similar lineup on Wednesday.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

final was Santos Laguna 3-1 Toluca. Santos put a strong performance away in Toluca and looks to be in full gear for Wed's game

If Toronto doesn't come out strong in first 15mins and nick a goal, before Santos gets settled and their crowd shows up (it's a 6pm game for the Mexicans), and defend like hell for the rest of the game, it's going to be very hard

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Juan Pablo Rodriquez was suspended last game
    Daniel Luduena was injured

they were missing last leg; outside of that, i think there two central defenders weren't regulars; apparently their LB (one of the red cards) is their weakest link on the field
    so i'd say we saw about 7 out of 11 starters at bmo field

against toluca, looks like they started their strongest first 11 they could;

looks like luduena is still injured; hercules didn't dress, so he's injured then you got the two reds, so thats 4 players they'll potentially still be missing on REDnesday

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Effects of altitude can be overcome if you compete within less than 24 hours of arriving. After 24 hours, you end up showing signs of dehydration, etc.

If competition in less than 24 hours is impossible, you need at least 2 weeks to acclimatize and work through the effects. Here's hoping someone on the training staff reads medical journals and talked to the travel coordinator.

As for the "threat to players", anyone catch Nick Dasovic on Wheeler's post game show (TSN Radio 1050) on Saturday? He talked about what it would be like in Mexico for our boys. From hotels that experience power failures, early morning phone calls, late buses, and not trusting room service... sounds like another reason to spend less than 24 hours there.

Can't find a link but it sure will be an experience.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Effects of altitude can be overcome if you compete within less than 24 hours of arriving. After 24 hours, you end up showing signs of dehydration, etc.

If competition in less than 24 hours is impossible, you need at least 2 weeks to acclimatize and work through the effects. Here's hoping someone on the training staff reads medical journals and talked to the travel coordinator.

As for the "threat to players", anyone catch Nick Dasovic on Wheeler's post game show (TSN Radio 1050) on Saturday? He talked about what it would be like in Mexico for our boys. From hotels that experience power failures, early morning phone calls, late buses, and not trusting room service... sounds like another reason to spend less than 24 hours there.

Can't find a link but it sure will be an experience.
    Guess Mexican teams can't win fair and square. What a joke. They have the quality to win games so why do the fans feel they got to go that extra mile. Not very sporting. Hopefully TFC do their homework to get the best result. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-0 TFC. Ryan Johnson x2, Soolsma and Silva. Some how, some way, they're going to do it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCBarrie View Post
    4-0 TFC. Ryan Johnson x2, Soolsma and Silva. Some how, some way, they're going to do it.
    I'd sure like to have your optimism. I'm expecting something like 4-1 SL, better than Seattle, and quite a respectable showing, but nothing close to a win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering the lineup that Winter utilized on Saturday, I'd like to see him go with this on Wednesday...

---------------Kocic---------------

Eckersley-Henry-Aceval-Morgan

-------Stinson---DeGuzman-----

---------------Silva---------------

Soolsma---------------------Plata

-------------Johnson--------------

Bench: Dunfield, Lambe, Burgos, Maund, Harden, Cordon

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pre lubing my bum and getting a massive buttplug because Santos Laguna is ripping Toluca apart right now
    I don't believe you were doing it because of the Santos game...tell the truth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Considering the lineup that Winter utilized on Saturday, I'd like to see him go with this on Wednesday...

Fingers crossed, this is the line up. Although I still like Plata as an impact sub, maybe have Lambe play the first 60 minutes. He's better defensively IMO.

We need a big game from Stinson and I hope we're not asking too much of the kid but ever since I saw him boss the midfield against NYRB last year I've had high hopes for him. He's got the legs and the physicality to really frustrate SLG. Like I said, fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'd sure like to have your optimism. I'm expecting something like 4-1 SL, better than Seattle, and quite a respectable showing, but nothing close to a win.
    I'm a proud blind-faithist Oldtimer, makes it more enjoyable for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Santos Laguna is an excellent team from a strong league. I'm looking forward to seeing how TFC performs in Torreon. I think it will be interesting to watch which players rise to the occasion.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Considering the lineup that Winter utilized on Saturday, I'd like to see him go with this on Wednesday...---------------Kocic---------------Eckersley-Henry-Aceval-Morgan-------Stinson---DeGuzman--------------------Silva---------------Soolsma---------------------Plata-------------Johnson--------------Bench: Dunfield, Lambe, Burgos, Maund, Harden, Cordon
    I'd rather see Plata sub in for Lambe in the 65th minute. I think Joao will be more effective as a substitute.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What, no Danny? Not even on the bench?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    What, no Danny? Not even on the bench?
    Yellow card accumulation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we're going to be in this game. I think we could even pull it off.

1) They were very frustrated and off their game last Wednesday. We don't need to figure out what to do. More of the same, please.

2) We tied Cruz Azul away in 2010. RSL tied Monterrey in the first leg of the final away last year. It's not that bizarre an outcome.

3) I don't think they care about this tournament that much.

4) In 2012, we have played 3 excellent games, out of 6 games played total. on the day, we can cause serious problems for people.

5) Could Frings make a shock return? Wasn't he "jogging about" a few days ago?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two of those excellent games were with Frings my friend. Without him, and Danny out with card accumulation, my optimism has taken cover under the blankets.

I hope I am wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=ensco;1467627]
    5) Could Frings make a shock return? Wasn't he "jogging about" a few days ago?[/QUOTE]

He was jogging today.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Yellow card accumulation.
    Ah shit, of course, duh to me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    3) I don't think they care about this tournament that much.
    Would the bad blood at the end of the First Leg in Toronto change Santos Laguna's approach to this match? Have SL fans taken notice of the incident? Are any TFC fans more charged up about this match because of the way the last one with them ended? Am I the only one who prefers watching TFC play Mexican sides than American ones?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I don't believe you were doing it because of the Santos game...tell the truth.
    *sigh* whatever to please the hot dominatrix mistress, dude

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BayernTFC View Post
    Am I the only one who prefers watching TFC play Mexican sides than American ones?
    I think TFC's style under Winter favours playing these Mexican sides. It's a good fit, even though they are more talented on the ball of course. Other MLS teams are more cagey, more willing to play longball and also bully opponents (although some TFC players can do this too). I was looking at San Jose's recent win in Seattle and Seattle dominated all the stats, including passing numbers. But it didn't work. I believe there's a clash of styles going on in MLS right now, with a shift towards the beautiful way..... but some teams are sticking to the tried and true approach that can nick results (not unlike what MoJo tried to do with TFC.. but his awful roster management fucked it all up).
    Last edited by rocker; 04-02-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm praying Frings and Cann are capable of playing a half. If they are I would start them rather than bring them on later when it would probably be too late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I think TFC's style under Winter favours playing these Mexican sides. It's a good fit, even though they are more talented on the ball of course. Other MLS teams are more cagey, more willing to play longball and also bully opponents (although some TFC players can do this too). I was looking at San Jose's recent win in Seattle and Seattle dominated all the stats, including passing numbers. But it didn't work. I believe there's a clash of styles going on in MLS right now, with a shift towards the beautiful way..... but some teams are sticking to the tried and true approach that can nick results (not unlike what MoJo tried to do with TFC.. but his awful roster management fucked it all up).
    I think there's 4 or 5 different styles dominating this league right now. Some teams are employing the grit and hardwork of england, some are employing the tricky speed of South America, the "beautiful" game of spain etc. It's quite a strange league to watch at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DK's size will definitely be missed against the smaller Mexican side. Such a stupid booking in the last game, and not warranted at all in my opinion. Would prefer to see Lambe for the first hour then utilize Plata's pace in the last half an hour when tired legs start to become a factor, although by that point we could be 2 or 3 down and Plata's appearance will make very little different. Would be very suprised with a result down there, I'm thinking a fairly comfortable 3-0 win for Santos unfortunately

We need to get the ball down and play football rather than just hoofing it upfield - particularly if Plata is starting. Pass and move, run into space and take the game to Santos. Gonna be a hostile atmosphere down there, I'm excited to see how the boys play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I think TFC's style under Winter favours playing these Mexican sides. It's a good fit, even though they are more talented on the ball of course.
    I would have to agree based on what I've seen from TFC under Winter. To me, Preki's team looked much better against the Mexican and Central American sides too. TFC appears to me to have a completely different approach to the Canadian Championship and CCL games than they do during MLS play.

I have watched Mexican Primera Division matches before. They have a quality league and their matches can be exiting. Is there a chance for Canadian teams to build rivalries against Mexican teams if matchups become more frequent because of the CCL? I don't really get the sense of there being rivalries between the US and Canadian squads in MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BayernTFC View Post
    I have watched Mexican Primera Division matches before. They have a quality league and their matches can be exiting. Is there a chance for Canadian teams to build rivalries against Mexican teams if matchups become more frequent because of the CCL? I don't really get the sense of there being rivalries between the US and Canadian squads in MLS.
    lol. why would FMF snobs think Canadian teams as a rival? they thumb their nose down at us for playing in MLS pretty much

there are rivalries in MLS. Cascadia being really good one. the others aren't as overt

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol. why would FMF snobs think Canadian teams as a rival? they thumb their nose down at us for playing in MLS pretty much
    I don't know? Given time and consistent performances from Canadian sides in the CCL, maybe more heated incidents like the one at BMO last Wednesday, and something might start. Canadian teams shouldn't immediately expect to be respected. I think the fact that Canada lacks a Canadian first or second division makes for a unique situation and lends itself to the question about who to get exited about playing against. I'm not the one who created the idea of the Trillium cup. There isn't any difference to me whether TFC is playing, New York, Columbus, KC or Houston other than the players on the pitch. How do you feel about competition against US squads? I don't know about FMF snobbery, but I'd like to see a Canadian league myself. How about a league modeled after the Apertura and Clausura that's used in Mexico rather than the more traditional US sports league like the MLS?

there are rivalries in MLS. Cascadia being really good one. the others aren't as overt
    I understand the geographic significance between Seattle, Portland and Vancouver. Is the rivalry between Vancouver and the US teams as passionate as the one between Seattle and Portland. Will it continue to be significant in a parity league like the MLS? What if those teams don't meet in the playoffs very often?