0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC @ Santos Laguna Second Leg Pre-match thread

8 PM EDT, April 4, 2012

Torreon, Mexico.

Suspended for Santos Laguna:

O. Mares (red card)
    C, Quintero (red card) (4 goals in the CCL)

Suspended for TFC:

D. Koevermans (yellow accumulation)

CCL homepage: http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/Home

Sportsnet page: http://www.sportsnet.ca

Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-29-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2-2 all over it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to get to halftime tied. If we can do that...

FYI Torreon has the dubious honour of being the site of one of the most controversial games in FMF history. A clearly offside Jared Borgetti scored the winning goal for Santos in the 1996 Championship, and all hell broke loose ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4chg...e_gdata_player
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's show Herc he's just a mortal! All of his comments are garbage.
    I think 2-2 is realistic, and Plata/Silva in for Koev will add some speed!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After Gomez' asinine comments I think Winter should ask that the game be moved to Kansas City or something for the safety of our boys.

Even if I think it is generally BS, it would teach that douche to shut his f*(king mouth!

EDIT: I read on sportsnet that a 1-1 tie in Torreon means that SL wins b/c of the away goal rule? Why is that? We would both have 1 away goal.
    Last edited by Abou Sky; 03-29-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: adding info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it's probably too much too ask for, but I just hope that the match is decided based on merit as opposed to officiating.

--------------Kocic--------------

Eckersley-Harden-Aceval-Morgan

----DeGuzman-----Dunfield-----

---------------Silva--------------

Soolsma--------------------Plata

-------------Johnson------------

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    After Gomez' asinine comments I think Winter should ask that the game be moved to Kansas City or something for the safety of our boys.

Even if I think it is generally BS, it would teach that douche to shut his f*(king mouth!

EDIT: I read on sportsnet that a 1-1 tie in Torreon means that SL wins b/c of the away goal rule? Why is that? We would both have 1 away goal.
    Could they move the game? i take it they would only move the venue due to a very real threat of safety to the opposing team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Sportsnet article is inaccurate. A scoreless draw would allow Santos Laguna to advance, a 1-1 draw would force extra time/penalty kicks, and a 2-2 draw (or higher scoring draw) would allow TFC to advance.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ and, should the game go into extra time then away goals would no longer count. IE - if both teams score in extra time and the scoreline reads 2-2, the goal by TFC would not count as 'double', and the match would head to penalties

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Furtado91 View Post
    Could they move the game? i take it they would only move the venue due to a very real threat of safety to the opposing team?
    Winter could point to:

1. The fact that if Torreon were the size of Toronto and had the same murder rate per capita it would mean 9000 murders per year (yes, seriously)
    2. Gomez himself pointed out that TFC won't be safe there.

I don't think it is unreasonable, I travel all around the world to do business, I had a trip to Bangkok scheduled a few years ago when the riots broke out and I didn't go because I didn't feel it was safe at that time. I think Winter could appeal to the 'gods of CONCACAF' or whatever they are called and make a fair case.

MAN, tks for clearing that up about 1-1, that is what I thought and is why I was confused.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure why many people say that the altitude will be so bad in Torreon. It's actually around 1,000 m elevation. The stadiums of RSL (1,350 m) and Colorado Rapids (1,575 m) are significantly higher for example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    ^ and, should the game go into extra time then away goals would no longer count. IE - if both teams score in extra time and the scoreline reads 2-2, the goal by TFC would not count as 'double', and the match would head to penalties
    Is that the case? I thought away goals counted even if they were scored in extra time. Is that rule specific to CONCACAF?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Is that the case? I thought away goals counted even if they were scored in extra time. Is that rule specific to CONCACAF?
    Yes, TOBOR is correct. CONCACAF and UEFA differ in that regard. I'm not sure about the other football federations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never mind CONCACAF rules and UEFA rules are indeed different. The internet is my friend....

CONCACAF has a different rule for its CONCACAF Champions League, employing away goals at the end of full time of the second leg, but not applying the rule at the end of extra time. For example, the semifinal of the 2008–09 CONCACAF Champions League between Cruz Azul and the Puerto Rico Islanders had the following scorelines:

• First leg: Puerto Rico Islanders 2 – 0 Cruz Azul
    • Second leg, after 90 minutes: Cruz Azul 2 – 0 Puerto Rico Islanders
    • Second leg, after extra time: Cruz Azul 3 – 1 Puerto Rico Islanders

Under UEFA rules, the Puerto Rico Islanders would have advanced. However, because CONCACAF does not apply the away goals rule a second time, the tie went to a shootout, which Cruz Azul won 4–2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the game going to broadcast here (Toronto)?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    Is the game going to broadcast here (Toronto)?
    Yes, on Sportsnet One

IDK if it will be on 590 but if it is what I like to do is turn off the volume and put on 590 b/c the announcer is SOOOOO much better and watch the game with the radio announcer, only problem is you can't pause it to go pee...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I'm not sure why many people say that the altitude will be so bad in Torreon. It's actually around 1,000 m elevation. The stadiums of RSL (1,350 m) and Colorado Rapids (1,575 m) are significantly higher for example.
    Which is over 3,000 feet above sea level. Every coach in MLS admits RSL and Colorado get an advantage at home from altitude. It's not the entire thing, but it does explain why MLS and other foreign teams fade in the second half when playing in Mexico or Ecuador.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's pathetic that Gomez would actually reference what might happen because of their fans in Torreon, as though it's something to be proud of. I'd be embarrassed that my city is known for corruption, absurdly high murder rates, and gunfire in the stadium during a game.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeez.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually cut Gomez some slack for his comments. Remember that he's a middle-class American who grew up going to a high school in Vegas. To follow the dream of being a pro footballer, he's moved to one of the worst cities on the continent. People who live in places like Torreon tend to develop a bit of bravado about their location. For all we know, he's one of those players running for their lives in that video.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-30-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a threat to our boys though.

If he just said 'if Toronto fans think they can cheer wait until they see our certifiable fans in Torreon' (or something like that) it is cool, but to threaten our boys is NOT cool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your town might be a shithole of a place to live but this looks pretty child friendly to me

i watched a bunch of vids and you do not have better support LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the majority of that footage is pre drug cartel war that really kicked it up a couple years ago.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being at an elevation of 1000m (3000ft) is not that significant and will have little if any impact on the players.

Another infamous moment in the recent history of Torreon;
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...cre-in-torreon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent a year working in Torreon in the mid-90s. The city itself didn't really have a lot of charm, but the people were AMAZING and all of my memories are very positive. It saddens me to read about the violence that has gripped the city (and country in general). Having said that.......

GO REDS!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should go easy here on the crime/drug stuff. It's there, but there is nothing to say. 99% of Mexicans are victims. It's heartbreaking to see that video with terrified families jammed against the concrete dividers.

We should all believe that TFC/MLS and Santos Laguna will all do their bit to make this a safe, fun event.

It's the more usual stuff that I'm worried about (ie the bus braking down from the airport, the 3am phone calls in the hotel rooms).
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We should go easy here on the crime/drug stuff. It's there, but there is nothing to say. 99% of Mexicans are victims. It's heartbreaking to see that video with terrified families jammed against the concrete dividers.
    Indeed. It's impossible to believe for even 1 second that the average Mexican is proud of what has been happening to their amazing country over the past decade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know in America they seem to try beat down the mexicans into poverty and gangs but the mexicans I know in canada are lovely people that just want to have a safe BBQ for their families and friends. And would invite the whole block to a party if they could.

Lets be the bigger men, show respect, support our reds without offending Laguna fans.

And their head coach needs a phone call from winter to keep things civil and to remember its just game

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed on Mexicans being generally awesome people, spent a fair amount of time there when I was younger and they are generous inviting people.

That said, it makes Gomez look like even more of a douche because he is reinforcing the optics that Mexico is a nasty crime ridden place that is unsafe for anyone.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Which is over 3,000 feet above sea level. Every coach in MLS admits RSL and Colorado get an advantage at home from altitude. It's not the entire thing, but it does explain why MLS and other foreign teams fade in the second half when playing in Mexico or Ecuador.
    It's also no coincidence that RSL is the only MLS squad to make the final in years.