17 12.78%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rate Winter: March 2012

PLEASE READ BEFORE RATING!
    (it'll make everything a hell of a lot easier)

Instead of a simple yes or no, you're going to be rating different aspects of Winter as a coach. Each category gets a specific rating, from 5 (being the highest) to 1 (being the lowest). To calculate the average rating, just add your total up and divide by 5, if it's got a decimal point at the end of it, you can round either up or down based on the simple question "did Winter perform up to your expectations for the month". Afterward, you post your total rating on the poll, from 5 - 1.

here's the criteria:

TACTICS
    how did you feel about the tactical choices made?
    what about his starters? subs? formation?

RESULTS

at the end of the day, how did we do in terms of results? did we tie games we should've lost? lost games we should've won? etc.

EFFICIENCY

how effective was the coach in utilizing the players he has?
    did he play some players out of position? did he have a reason to?

COMMUNICATION
    how effective was the coach in explaining his outlook and choices in the paper / on torontofc.ca / on TFCtv / in post match interviews?

TRADES & MISC
    were the trades made productive or counter-productive?
    did he fly off the handle at get a 4 game ban?
    was he making eyes at your wife/girlfriend/same-sex partner?

A general guideline: Its how you feel at the moment, not a final assessment. Like a marathon, this is just a snapshot of our support for the month. A low approval rating does not rate him as an overall failure, just like a high approval rating does not mean he's Sir Alex Ferguson. For the sake of context, this is how he / TFC have preformed in September:

LEAGUE PLAY
    0 points out of a possible 6
    10TH in the East -
    19TH out of 19 overall -
    GD: -5

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE PLAY
    Defeated LA Galaxy on aggregate 4-3
    Currently -1 on away goals against Santos

*red denotes CCL game

Toronto FC v LA Galaxy
    MAR 7thh : TIE 2-2

LA Galaxy v Toronto FC

MAR 14th : WIN 1-2

Seattle Sounders v Toronto FC
    MAR 17th : LOSS 3-1

Toronto FC v San Jose Earthquake
    MAR 24th: LOSS 0 - 3

Toronto FC vs Santos Laguna

MAR 28th : TIE 1-1

OLD THREADS:
    *3.95 / Rating: B+ OCTOBER THREAD

*3.76 / Rating: B SEPTEMBER THREAD
    *3.21 / Rating: C AUGUST THREAD
    83.44%
    JULY THREAD
    63.55%
    JUNE THREAD
    46.60%
    MAY THREAD
    77.61%
    APRIL THREAD

NOTE: if you'd like to see an update to the criteria you think i may have overlooked, PM me.
    Last edited by __wowza; 03-29-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: reformatted the old threads links

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh shit
    here it comes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted one because there is no 1/2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TACTICS: 3
    some of the moves he's made haven't made sense to me, but in champions league play they seem to be working. we're making the best of what we've got with frings/frei out, and an intense schedule, i'd be rating lower if it wasn't for this.

RESULTS
    : 4
    champions league, good. league, bad (but only after 2 games). like i said, tight schedule, injured captain (aka: the man who holds our defense together), i didn't expect the LA or the Santos result, so i'm rating him higher, im not going to let a loss to san jose dictate panic just yet.

EFFICIENCY: 4

we seem to be making the most out of what we have, but danny's had a rough run of games as of late. for a man who had such a lethal strike rate last season, seeing him go 4 games without a goal is worrisome. i enjoy seeing him play soolsma in his current role and think he's a great fit for our current attack where others believe he lacks speed. im on the fence about dunfield but we're playing with what we've got. it's weird that our once stacked midfield is now being stretched thin, but for the most part everyones done their job.

COMMUNICATION: 3
    i've always found he's been good with communicating certain things that go right, but when it comes to what goes wrong i've found the "people weren't doing their jobs" excuse gets kinda tiresome. im sure there's more to it, but it's not being communicated to us.

TRADES & MISC: 2
    would've loved to see him pick up someone else capable of filling in frings role, we knew the team couldn't just rely on a 33 year old all season and hope that he stays healthy. caciedo trade didn't work out, wasted a spot there, and still have a CB problem. if it weren't for the superdraft pick this would be a 1. he knew our problems and failed to fix them.

OVERALL: 3.0 (rounded down from a 3.2)
    i'll admit we've only played 2 games in the league, but the transfer window is why his rating dropped. i love our CCL results, and will admit that we're playing a tough schedule with injured players, but we cut a lot of the fat without and didn't make any big shakeups to the roster we knew needed some more bodies. get ready for a rough game against columbus!!

^ i also wanna point out that this is a preferred format for this thread, but do what you will. even if it's just an overall and an explanation as to why. it'll save a 14 page thread where people just say they voted 1/5, not say why and then defend a position without ever explaining it.

Last edited by __wowza; 03-29-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bit early for this, no? 2 league games and 3 CCL games... lol.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Technically correct. This weekends match is on the 31st so wow could've waited till next week but I think more may be excited to look at the month today than on Sunday.

I agree with the overall 3.

tactics are suspect in the opening 2 in the MLS campaign Seattle game they looked great gooing forward spreading the ball confidently but three at the back v SJ made it a very hard day at the office.

results i agree with. I rate Champions League and he's made it work somehow. I'll bring up Seattle again because it was probably one of the most impressive loses I've seen my team play in.

trades and aquisitions I can't think of how they could've replaced a DP period but trying to fill his role on this squad will be spread throughout more than one player alone. He clearly was a field marshall.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 03-29-2012 at 08:41 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Month isn't over yet but...

if you had to rank our performances today (best to worst) 1 through 5 our three best games this month were our 3 biggest matches in our existence. In all ways when all the chips are down Winter had our team ready and deliver their best performances and that shouldn't be overlooked by anyone.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 star?

I voted 3.

We have 1 win in 5 games. The team was competitive and came through in the most important game so far but it's foolhardy to ignore we have 2 league losses and only 1 win so far. So an average or above average score so far I think is fair.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    I think Wowza has been itching to put up this thread.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    5 star?

I voted 3.

We have 1 win in 5 games. The team was competitive and came through in the most important game so far but it's foolhardy to ignore we have 2 league losses and only 1 win so far. So an average or above average score so far I think is fair.
    I voted 3 as well....I am in agreement with Roogsy for once.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they sell cream for that you...lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    I voted 3 as well....I am in agreement with Roogsy for once.
    oh no never agree with him it just makes his head go big...lol I pick 3 too

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted 2.

As far as season set up is concerned Winter has been average at best. Lambe looks a good signing, and obviously getting Plata and Ecks full time are excellent signings. However, Winter hasn't really addressed TFC's worst problem last season - the centre backs. Losing Ceicedo is a massive blow, so the right side of defence is still an issue. Aceval looks shaky at left CB, he's made a lot of mistakes so far, but I'll give him the befefit of the doubt and give him more games to settle in yet. So, 3/5 for season set up - good for getting Lambe, Ecks, and Plata, bad for not really addressing key issues. I also think we lack depth in centre forward, I would hope that Winter signs a back up striker sometime during the season.

Tactically Winter has been extremely average. His tactical awareness isn't great. I like the way he's setting up the squad and the formation - but on a match by match basis, we need to be more fluid and adaptable. Winter hasn't shown that he can change anything mid game to change the outcome if it isn't going TFC's way. Winter needs to improve this before I give him a higher score than 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So are the results of the Columbus game on March 31 going to count towards this poll or the Rate Winter April poll? If it's the former I'll wait to rate so it reflects March properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted 5, which I realize is high, but I don't fault Winter for the team's failures. Frings' injury is a 'worst case scenario' situation that would have been difficult to foresee.

Only thing I truly fault him for is sticking to a high line in the back. We defended well last night against a top team by sticking to a flexible defensive line, thanks to team defence and a reinvigorated JDG playing box-to-box. Hopefully we see better defending, but I blame the parts involved more than Veentar himself.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I voted 3 stars.

He has had 3 decent games (CCL x 3) and 2 horrible games (MLS x 2)
    doesn't matter what happens this saturday - those 2 losses were unacceptable and exposed us for what we could be if he doesn't fix things.

Perhaps he is working out the kinks of his tactical arsenal, however, he better do it quickly. High line all out attack isn't going to work against every team.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 03-29-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh roogs, you know it's just because i love hearing about your hard on for winter. this blind faith you have in the team has to stop!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    Month isn't over yet but...
    to be perfectly honest, the calendars at my work are misprinted and have the saturday as april 1st. i think i knew about it when i scheduled "wrestlemania, TFC v krew, wait.. WTF?" on it, but i was too groggy to notice. my apologies folks!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ care to clarify?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    Really?
    Really.

3. Might be a 2 by next Thursday.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lulz, a bit early in the season to put this up, no?

Anyway, my real rating of Winter will be mid-season, after the summer transfer window and once we have 1 whole season (two halves) with the re-tooled squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iam happy nobody cares about the ratings here, winter is a good coach

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NO,Thanks to early
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We have 1 win in 5 games.
    Or looking at it another way, they are un-defeated in 3 CCL games involving a Mexican side and the LA Galaxy.

Don't disagree with the 3 rating though. That said, I picked 4 mainly because you picked 3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was tempted to pick two because of the two league games, but he has done well elsewhere. still worried about our defense.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TACTICS
    Did OK in CCL1 VS LA, VERY good in CCL2 vs LA (stopped them from getting set pieces)
    Sounders game he was resting players, had out of shape Koovermans and JDG, and had tactical screwed when he lost Frings at 23min.
    SJ he was trying to figure out how to defend without Frings.
    SL he figured out how to defend without Frings and tore a strip off defense because they were RIGHT on their marks.

I liked the formations used in all three CCL games (the numerous ones per game) I don't even KNOW what the formation was supposed to be against SJ but it didn't work.

RESULTS

Never thought we would beat Seattle, SJ was painful to see though.

EFFICIENCY

Liked seeing Eck moved to CB in 2nd half last night. He seemed like he wanted to run up the field but didn't and did a darn good job as a CB. His use of Lambe has been gorgeous, I would have liked to see him recall Henry and Stinson

COMMUNICATION
    how effective was the coach in explaining his outlook and choices in the paper / on torontofc.ca / on TFCtv / in post match interviews?

TRADES & MISC
    He was making eyes at me, but he is cute enough so no biggie...

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is his rating for March, of which there are two days remaining, so I'm not sure why people are saying it's too early. Rate him for the month of March, or think about it for a couple of days, then rate him on Sunday. That seems pretty straightforward to me.

As for my rating, I gave him a 2. The bottom line is, we've only won one game in the whole month, despite it being an absolutely key victory. 1-2-2 isn't exactly a stellar month and we can't keep coming up with excuses. At the end of the day, we need to win and be in the hunt in MLS. Let's see what happens tomorrow. That said, I'm very happy with our performance in the CCL.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only real critism / disagreement with Winter was playing Frings, on turf, in Seattle - but really, an injury like that is worst case scenario...

I just feel, at 35, and on field turf, with a very busy fixture list (including the 2 most important games in history) it was the perfect day for him to have a seat - and avoid the 'worst case scenario' from happening...

Who knows if the turf caused the injury; some say he slid, caught the turf, and we all know the muscle/ligaments will strain/tear before that plastic shit - or if it would have happened on grass, but it just sucks...

Otherwise, after seeing Wednesday's gameplan executed perfectly and effectively - he's doing his job and doing it well...

I'm not voting, as Saturday's game needs to be taken into account - namely, the lineup and tactics he uses with Wednesday on the horizon...
    Last edited by Carts; 03-30-2012 at 08:20 AM.
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    As for my rating, I gave him a 2. The bottom line is, we've only won one game in the whole month, despite it being an absolutely key victory. 1-2-2 isn't exactly a stellar month and we can't keep coming up with excuses. At the end of the day, we need to win and be in the hunt in MLS. Let's see what happens tomorrow. That said, I'm very happy with our performance in the CCL.
    Your rating is your rating but your two comments contradict each other. You gave Winter a low score but are very happy with 60% of what has happened so far this season. If your are happy with what he's done in 3 out of the 5 games we played so far shouldn't you give him a 3? Not looking for an argument or anything, just saying.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've noticed no one seems to point out the fact that the monthly rating threads of our head coaches have been around for the past 3 seasons and that they always start up at the end of our first month of games. like i said, my calendar was misprinted so i accidentally started before the columbus game. you can always vote afterwards you rate winter on how you think he performed for the month, it's not an indication of how he's going to do for the rest of the year, or how he's done halfway through the season. there's never been a first half/second half of the season thread.

if you don't have any opinion due to the fact that it's "too early" for you to judge his performance (even based off of the fact that we've played, oh, i don't know, 5 games in a month) i'd like to remind you that so far we've had the following to gauge an opinion on:

1. a transfer window
    2. a preseason tournament
    3. 3 concacaf champions league games
    4. 2 league games