Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was extremely impressed by TFC's performance tonight. Maund didn't look out of place and put in a good showing. JDG actually played to the level we expect. I have a hard time with Dunfield, you have to love his hard work and tenacity out there, but his soccer IQ is lacking sometimes. Koov's is looking lazy out there or out of shape. And I'm starting to like the duo of Johnson and Lambe on the wings up front, very threatening.
    To be honest, I was expecting TFC to be outplayed and beaten tonight. However, I was gladly mistaken, and I can't help but feel that a good result next week isn't out of TFC's reach, especially since Santos has lost two players to red cards.
    this game has gotten me excited for this Saturday's clash against the crew, and looking forward to a decent result at home.

coyr

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Must say that was one of the best nights ever at BMO Field. Great game, both sides attacking and going for it until Santos got their first red card. I just love how TFC routinely play up to their superior opposition when we have opponents of this calibre.

To be fair, Santos were probably quite relaxed in their approach after potting that all-important away goal. Still, they didn't sit too deep and play that gawdawful cynical game some clubs play defending all night. We got our goal and it was game on with lots of time left. Just a fun night of clearly passionate play that got a little out of hand at the end. Honestly, no idea what sparked the handbags, but it was totally unneccesary.

Value delivered, more please, this weekend and all season long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So proud of TFC tonight for playing their hearts out tonight, I'm happy at 1-1, although that Santos goal really baffled me, looked to be both offside and a handball from where I was standing at BMO. We had so many chances to really bury the game, but I think we really took it too them, and I cant wait for round two.

I was in the North end beer patio when the brawl broke out, and didn't have a good vantage of anything that was going on.. What happened?

Also if anyone knows where I can rewatch this game in its entirety, I would be forever grateful. That was such an entertaining game!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nickio View Post
    Ye, DK needs to find his touch. He seems to have lost it almost completely. That play where he got a perfect pass from Lambe and roofed it after being wide open is a perfect example of our DP striker backfiring. But his positioning is still top notch.
    That is an important thing to keep in mind. Hopefully we'll see some benefit from that soon.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Must say that was one of the best nights ever at BMO Field. Great game, both sides attacking and going for it until Santos got their first red card. I just love how TFC routinely play up to their superior opposition when we have opponents of this calibre.

To be fair, Santos were probably quite relaxed in their approach after potting that all-important away goal. Still, they didn't sit too deep and play that gawdawful cynical game some clubs play defending all night. We got our goal and it was game on with lots of time left. Just a fun night of clearly passionate play that got a little out of hand at the end. Honestly, no idea what sparked the handbags, but it was totally unneccesary.

They may have two or three players missing because of tonight's cards - haven't studied how the yellows work - but they sat out two of their best players - one on accumulated yellows, the other just via squad rotation. They'll still be tough next week.

Value delivered, more please, this weekend and all season long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    But, also the ref missed like, 3 handballs by them.
    This. I thought it was closer to 5 or 6 handballs that went uncalled for Santos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So onward to the next Most Important Game In TFC History. Fuck me, we've had how many of these so far this year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    So onward to the next Most Important Game In TFC History. Fuck me, we've had how many of these so far this year?
    not enough, and on behalf of everyone here, i'd love to see at least two "most important games in tfc history"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cant say enough of how proud i was to be a TFC supporter tonight!!....... We played with Heart..Passion!!! We were the better TEAM hands down and they are very lucky to be heading back home with a result!!...As for the supporters all i can say is wow!!! It was a wonderful night!!

cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Play every game the way we played this one and I will be forever happy. Fantastic effort all around.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sully View Post
    Did the referee actually blow his whistle to end the game before the Santos bench ran on the field?
    I don't think so - there's no way that was 5 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soolsma needed to stay on, don't understand why he came off, Lambe should have been taken off instead, Soolsma was a threat and Santos could not have been happier when he came off, a bad move by Winter. Silva should have come on also would have helped in creating chances fot that second goal.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    I really enjoyed the game. I was impressed with Soolsma. I know I am going to get in trouble for saying this - he did play well, but why does Dunfield always slide to make passes. He did that alot against San Jose and a few times today. But overall, impressed with the effort we put out there.

Does anyone know why Aceval was subbed?
    I know!!! Nick "Slow as Molasses" Soolsma. I don't know how he is doing it this season with the ball movement. He is just making these small little cut moves and touches and they are working!

Aceval was a risk at the back. Couldn't trust him that late in the game would be my guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    I cant say enough of how proud i was to be a TFC supporter tonight!!....... We played with Heart..Passion!!! We were the better TEAM hands down and they are very lucky to be heading back home with a result!!...As for the supporters all i can say is wow!!! It was a wonderful night!!

cheers!
    Agreed, it was a great night. Would have preferred 0-0 but after they scored the go ahead can't be too disappointed. I was pretty disappointed with DK though, other than a sick backheel he didn't win any balls in the air, had no aim with shots on target, and could not distribute the ball to Plata which forced the long ball to Plata which he will never win. Other than that, loved the play from our defence, it was night and day compared to the past two matches, Ecks knows how to slide tackle, damn, that's how you play the game.

Also the support at this game was the best for a Champs League game at BMO in our history, justifiably as it was the semi's, but I was glad to see the support despite the cold and rain.

1-0 in Mexico lets fucking do it right!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Just checked my recording. The ref had, in fact, blown the whistle. 5 minutes and about 5 seconds had been played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also Kocic has been an absolute beast! Do they sell his jersey anywhere? I think its time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by luisfigo View Post
    not enough, and on behalf of everyone here, i'd love to see at least two "most important games in tfc history"
    People are already calling this a Cinderella run.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wasn't Soolsma on a yellow? Maybe taking him off to be safe so he wouldn't miss next week?

I could be wrong.

Great night. TFC had chances to win. Was impressed with Maund in the 2nd half, as I was with a number of guys.

Was hoping that TFC could keep it respectable without Frings and the disasters of the Seattle and SJ matches and they did over and above what I expected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the game that was the biggest game in tfc is forgotten....next weds is now the biggest gamae in tfc history!! cant wait

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We've lost koev for the next CCl game on yellows.

Acevil was subbed with an injury

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    We've lost koev for the next CCl game on yellows.
    Like I said to my buddy next to me it was a strategic yellow to figure out the weak spot in their wall, and it paid off with the equalizer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soolsma does all his deft moves with his feet, for the most part ( Not a lot of head fakes like basketball). I was surprised how much space the Left Back gave him in the first half (10 feet) but when I think about it, he does his best when he draws defenders a few feet away, catches them flat footed and then speed is not a major factor at that point.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    He did blowthe whistle and it was 5 minutes. Kept track on my watch...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    He did blowthe whistle and it was 5 minutes. Kept track on my watch...
    MLS website says about 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more thought. Ecks is back to last year's form. In the quarters, he was pulling a Scholes many times with late challenges from behind. Most of his tackles were well timed tonight. If he could just learn to place decent crosses when attacking down the wing, he will be an all-star.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

will Stinson and Henry be available for next wednesady

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering I was expecting a loss, esp after Gomez scored for Santos Laguna, it's a good result for TFC. This game proved that TFC can play against Santos Laguna, and hopefully the lads will take heart and not be intimidated when going to Torreon next week. Plus you get worked up after a bench clearing brawl, right? (Well, Santos Laguna will try to make a lesson out of TFC next week, too)

The weather clearly affected Santos and I thought they were playing at about 75%. Still, their tic tac toe passes were good, with precision. It's going to be scary seeing them at 100%.

A bit lucky with reffing, but all things considered... karma is a bitch. I lost a lot of respect for Santos for their diving antics.

As much as he doesn't like it, but Eckersley has to play sweeper role, even if it's a flat back four.

The lads were gassed out by 80mins. Would have loved to see Silva for Dunfield after the first red card, but I think Winter didn't want to risk getting hit on counter by pushing up too much
    Last edited by Yohan; 03-28-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Aceval was a risk at the back. Couldn't trust him that late in the game would be my guess.
    I don't understand the hateon for this player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a fantastic game and great night in the stands. These Champions League nights always seem to bring out the best in us. Both on the field and in the stands. Sure it might not have been a "sell out" like most MLS games but the supporters section was packed and rockin' for most of the game ..

Oh, and never though I'd say this .. but credit to Gerry Dobson for the the call on Aceval's goal ..