View Poll Results: Are you in favour of the new pyro (multiple flare) setup @ BMO or are you against it?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am in favour of TFC front office keeping the pyro (multiple flare) setup. It looks great!

60 46.51%
  • No, I am against TFC front office keeping the pyro (multiple flare) setup. I have my reasons.

30 23.26%
  • I couldn't care less whether they keep it or not.

39 30.23%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question The New Pyro Setup - Keep it or scrap it?

Hey guys,

There seems to be quite a split on the new pyro (multiple flare) setup at BMO Field that was introduced at the Home Opener. It was placed directly in front of the South Stand around the same area as the confetti/smoke machines. Some are praising it while others have filed complaints. What's your take on them?

Personally, I thought they looked great but I can see why people directly affected by the smoke weren't impressed. There were some reports of the smoke causing itchy eyes and coughing but anyone who has ever been around a flare knows all too well about that. Perhaps there can be a compromise of some sort by keeping them but placing them elsewhere? If so, where you would like see them moved? or would you rather have them removed completely?

Discuss.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wreckless (sic).

Do they not think of the children?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's next? pumping chants through the pa?
    turning us into seattle

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
    turning us into seattle
    Cheesy but I didn't mind it.....I am first row behind the net. A lot of smoke though...not good for my pregnant wife......but I guess she can just cover her face for a couple of minutes....lol
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
    turning us into seattle
    Yup pre planned, no spontinaity.

If they do keep using the flares they should use them at a turning point in the game like after a go ahead goal but not after the anthems.

And that Hercules fly over, while nice it was very American.

I have nothing against Americans but it's just not us.
    To me it's just like fake Hollywood special affects, not real.

As for a solution, we need more communication with the FO.
    Tell them that while it looked very nice it's just not what we want, it makes us look plastic.

Well, thats my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mixed messages for sure. that's all i heard about from my girlfriend when i came back "i thought they banned flares? why would they do that when they kicked people out before? what happens if someone sees those and thinks they're ok now?"

nitpicky supporter stuff, someone must've thought "hey maybe the supporters will think this is cool!" i did, but not before i thought "really? you've gotta be fucking kidding me!"

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    Yup pre planned, no spontinaity.

If they do keep using the flares they should use them at a turning point in the game like after a go ahead goal but not after the anthems.

And that Hercules fly over, while nice it was very American.

I have nothing against Americans but it's just not us.
    To me it's just like fake Hollywood special affects, not real.

As for a solution, we need more communication with the FO.
    Tell them that while it looked very nice it's just not what we want, it makes us look plastic.

Well, thats my 2 cents.
    I was thinking that about the post goal or something however looking at the setup, one Chad Barret type shot will be destroying those racks and making a mess. It looks pregame / kick off only in nature. FO mentioned this in a lead up meeting week of, but nothing on this scale.

The feedback here will go a long way I am sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loved it...keep doing it because it was something unique and some soccer related (unlike seattle who have a 50 piece band or whatever)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't care less.

Now, a warning for the flyby would have been nice. Nearly shit myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, the fly by had my heart in my throat. There was an 'oh shit' moment there for sure.

As to the flares: it just seems sad to me. Like some nerdy kid standing up in school after tattooing his face and yelling, "Hey everyone, look at me, I'm EXTREME!!!" There is a time and place for pyro and MLSE made it clear that it is not at BMO. So why allow it and why do it in such a silly looking way. Really? Lining 15 or so up on big candelabras? Dumb, dumb, dumb. Sounds to me like a dicision made by a suit in an office who has never seen pyro live.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me it looks like FO is doing everything they can to bring life back to the games, supporters and not doing it so they have to double their efforts

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand the confusion. They don't want support using flares. Support has mentioned they like flares. They use flares safely in a controlled area.

They also fire confetti into the air. I've never thought I might sneak in a confetti "Canon" into the grounds.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think FO's intentions are in the right place; finding us alternate and safe means to do something; however I fully understand the comment that it is done without heart or feeling just for the sake of a "show".

There really are two approaches now we just say ya no thanks or we work with them to find something that satisfies everyone

I am an Online Pole
    RPB Twitter and Facebook Bitch (http://www.twitter.com/redpatchboys)
    Pride...Passion...Purpose...and DRANK

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep them, but allw the capo to determine when to set them off.

Would have looked better, too, if the smoke wasn't blown away immediately.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really care either way.
    It looks decent, and I think it's still a long way from playing songs through a PA.

And yeah, the plane nearly gave me a heart attack!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it was very WWEish

not something id like to see at every match

it's un-organic

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since its ok now, I am fabricating a steel harness that will attach to my back and hold 10 flares. Its gonna be awesome, thanks FO.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I thought it looked very amateurish, forced.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adamdz View Post
    Since its ok now, I am fabricating a steel harness that will attach to my back and hold 10 flares. Its gonna be awesome, thanks FO.
    was i the only person who was picturing this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    I thought it looked very amateurish, forced.
    100% agree. Unfortunately amateurish is how FO does most of things from MLS Cup Final to in-stadium promotions.

If they wanted to try flares wait for a night game and make sure there is no strong wind.

Smoke cannons were useless and flares setup is also useless, but i guess they know better.

Here is how pyro should be used, i'm not really sure what fo were trying to do.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are no flares in the above pictures. Is it your opinion that only smoke should be used by the FO?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adamdz View Post
    Do you have the licence and approval?

I see guys running on the pitch, doesn't mean I can do it too. The rules are very straight forward as to what we can do in the stands.

The real discussion isn't so childish, I am impressed with the questioning of the authentic nature of the display. I am okay with or without it, its another case of they can't win. If FO puts the display on, people call it plastic or fake. If they don't do stuff like this then people say they are not trying hard enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    There are no flares in the above pictures. Is it your opinion that only smoke should be used by the FO?
    smoke, flares, fireworks or strobes are all part of pyro, that is the way i see it and all can be equally safe or damageable

all four photos have pyro (smoke) either after a goal or as part of a tifo and controlled by the groups.

in my opinion fo should do nothing in the south end.

here is a photo from the game for people who missed what we are talking about

MLS loves using footage of pyro for marketing material, they just can't figure out the balance yet.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

I see guys running on the pitch, doesn't mean I can do it too. The rules are very straight forward as to what we can do in the stands.

The real discussion isn't so childish, I am impressed with the questioning of the authentic nature of the display. I am okay with or without it, its another case of they can't win. If FO puts the display on, people call it plastic or fake. If they don't do stuff like this then people say they are not trying hard enough.
    In my opinion they should not do anything of that nature. It is all forced and plastic. Its all static and pre determined, Its going to be the same static display day in day out, done by the same people, at the same time.

There are ways they can help supporters do what they do, and these displays aren't it. They should stick to handing out plastic calendars, kia hats and car flags branded with mcdonalds (alot of people like that kind of stuff).
    Last edited by adamdz; 03-26-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As others have mentioned, it is a step even though it looks very forced.

Hopefully the SG's can work with FO on how to make it better though. Scatter them a bit.....give the Capo's some say in when to execute their use....and it may make the scene appear more organic and more appropriate to what's happening in the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

Most of remarks i hear from season ticket holders, supporters, friends and co-workers is that FO is not promotion this club and are very lazy with marketing (both MLS Cup and CL game is skydome are great examples). Once people are at the game no one cares what FO is doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavydMT View Post
    smoke, flares, fireworks or strobes are all part of pyro, that is the way i see it and all can be equally safe or damageable

all four photos have pyro (smoke) either after a goal or as part of a tifo and controlled by the groups.

in my opinion fo should do nothing in the south end.

MLS loves using footage of pyro for marketing material, they just can't figure out the balance yet.
    i liked it..but would rather it be lit after a big goal...or late in the game when we are up....puting one between 111 and 112 would be a good option too

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavydMT View Post

As I said in a previous thread, this is a step in the right direction. They are aware that flares do bring an extra excitement to the atmosphere. They have come up with a solution that they are comfortable with. Now they need to sit down with the supporters and figure out how/when/where it should be done.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The FO also had staff in spots around the stadium, lauching shiny streamers from plastic tubes. It was ok, but had plastic feel to it.

RoadTrips:Columbus/Vancouver/Montreal/Columbus/NewYork/Montreal/
    RPBScarf:2015/2019/2023

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They didn't even do it smartly... they should have spread it out a little more if they were going to do that.