View Poll Results: Are you in favour of the new pyro (multiple flare) setup @ BMO or are you against it?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am in favour of TFC front office keeping the pyro (multiple flare) setup. It looks great!

60 46.51%
  • No, I am against TFC front office keeping the pyro (multiple flare) setup. I have my reasons.

30 23.26%
  • I couldn't care less whether they keep it or not.

39 30.23%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfellow View Post
    I think Chelsea does the same thing...

It's a stupid idea, regardless. I couldn't tell whether it was employees of the club or actual STHs who were asked to hold the flags but either way, flags belong in the hands of the supporters, not temporary flag-bearers. I have a feeling MLSE are so desperate to create a vibe in the stadium that they are looking at footage from around the world and trying to implement anything that they can get away with. Flares/smoke bombs are prohibited in MLS so MLSE decided to try out artificial ones. When that failed, they decided to use the pre-game flags, possibly after looking at footage of Chelsea games or some other European club(s). It seems like they are trying hard to duplicate other leagues but the answer doesn't lie in artificial flares or temp flag-bearers, it lies in the form of an improved stadium. Enclosed roof and/or second tier over the south stand is a start. Unfortunately, without a winning team on the pitch and increasingly more empty seats, stadium upgrades aren't likely to happen anytime soon.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny thing is they are trying these tactics but at the same time they are still trying to implement stupid rules to stop actual supporters from doing stuff. Example...a fellow RPB who has a seat beside me in the top level over 114 (accessible area) brought his flag as he has done in the past on several occasions last year. Also, we had some of the RPB ones from last year up there for a number of games too. Anyhow, he brought his flag and it was sitting there while he was out getting a beer or something but I noticed the security guy standing over it. I didn't pay much attention to that since there is always security up there. We all assembled as the national anthems were about to begin and we went to raise the flag and the security guy...who I am sure was just itching to do it...came right over and said we are not allowed to have flags there. We said bullshit since we had it whenever we wanted the year before but he said it is a new rule. We are in the supporter section and we are not allowed to have a flag on a basically empty top deck with nobody behind us. We asked to talk to his supervisor and he came over later and told us the same. What a load of crap. He said there are too many people walking by. There are actually hardly anybody except security walking by most of the time. We were actually very conscious of that last year and were respectful of anyone in the area. Then after we finished arguing I look down to see all these flags in non-supporter sections and a number of them in someone's face. I was going to invest in another flag this year for up there but I guess now there is no point. I am done with the ever-changing rules.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Funny thing is they are trying these tactics but at the same time they are still trying to implement stupid rules to stop actual supporters from doing stuff. Example...a fellow RPB who has a seat beside me in the top level over 114 (accessible area) brought his flag as he has done in the past on several occasions last year. Also, we had some of the RPB ones from last year up there for a number of games too. Anyhow, he brought his flag and it was sitting there while he was out getting a beer or something but I noticed the security guy standing over it. I didn't pay much attention to that since there is always security up there. We all assembled as the national anthems were about to begin and we went to raise the flag and the security guy...who I am sure was just itching to do it...came right over and said we are not allowed to have flags there. We said bullshit since we had it whenever we wanted the year before but he said it is a new rule. We are in the supporter section and we are not allowed to have a flag on a basically empty top deck with nobody behind us. We asked to talk to his supervisor and he came over later and told us the same. What a load of crap. He said there are too many people walking by. There are actually hardly anybody except security walking by most of the time. We were actually very conscious of that last year and were respectful of anyone in the area. Then after we finished arguing I look down to see all these flags in non-supporter sections and a number of them in someone's face. I was going to invest in another flag this year for up there but I guess now there is no point. I am done with the ever-changing rules.
    So let me guess this straight, you have seats in the 'Supporters Section', yet you are NOT allowed to wave a flag in that section. There is something seriously wrong with this picture. It's ridiculous rules like this that are going to kill the remaining support in the south stand. Constraining support to one little corner of the stadium is not going to build supporters culture in this city, nor will it help get more people involved in the visual/vocal scope of support. There will come a time when people will just say 'screw it, it's not worth the hassle' and we will be left with nothing but a standing section.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I think it would be worth bringing this up at the next Town Hall.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Code Red View Post
    So let me guess this straight, you have seats in the 'Supporters Section', yet you are NOT allowed to wave a flag in that section. There is something seriously wrong with this picture. It's ridiculous rules like this that are going to kill the remaining support in the south stand. Constraining support to one little corner of the stadium is not going to build supporters culture in this city, nor will it help get more people involved in the visual/vocal scope of support. There will come a time when people will just say 'screw it, it's not worth the hassle' and we will be left with nothing but a standing section.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I think it would be worth bringing this up at the next Town Hall.
    Yeah it is bullshit. Actually the RPB guy who owns the flag was going to talk to Phil to get some help with that rule. We would just be an average joe to the TFC FO but Phil won't be. If not, yeah definitely a topic for any open forum with the TFC FO.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Code Red View Post
    It's a stupid idea, regardless. I couldn't tell whether it was employees of the club or actual STHs who were asked to hold the flags but either way, flags belong in the hands of the supporters, not temporary flag-bearers. I have a feeling MLSE are so desperate to create a vibe in the stadium that they are looking at footage from around the world and trying to implement anything that they can get away with. Flares/smoke bombs are prohibited in MLS so MLSE decided to try out artificial ones. When that failed, they decided to use the pre-game flags, possibly after looking at footage of Chelsea games or some other European club(s). It seems like they are trying hard to duplicate other leagues but the answer doesn't lie in artificial flares or temp flag-bearers, it lies in the form of an improved stadium. Enclosed roof and/or second tier over the south stand is a start. Unfortunately, without a winning team on the pitch and increasingly more empty seats, stadium upgrades aren't likely to happen anytime soon.
    I am just glad they are not trying to put up those wacky waving inflatable tube men that Barca has...
    RWN - SoctoberFest! Champion '11, TFC Supporters Cup Champs '10, Indoor Champs '10 & '09, Niagara Cup Champs '09 & '08.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am just glad they are not trying to put up those wacky waving inflatable tube men that Barca has...
    Don't give them any ideas.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wacky wavy fun guy!

I want one for my front lawn sooooo badly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    yup i have herd them always coming up with new rules about flags. The first 2 years was fine then they started comming up with new rules every week. I always brought my flag but certain games i had security stop me, even tho i have seats in 112. Lets see 1 time they said you can't bring flags in for friendly games, so i had to take it off the poll. Another time they said your poll is to long to bring it in (even tho there was others with longer polls in the stand already). Lets see what else...oh yeah then the sorry you have to be in the stadium 60 mins before kickoff if you want to bring it in the stadium. Then that became half an hour...1 game i showed up bit late and the security guy was nice and he let me in about 20 mins before kick off...next game i showed up at about 27mins before kickoff and they were pricks and said its passed the half hour mark now, can't bring it in....Its endless bull shit, a normal person would of gave up bringing flags by now, and i believe many have, select few still bring flags but MLSE have really been destroying the atmosphere. And it's funny because then you do see MLSE try to bring fake atmosphere into the stadium such as fake flag carriers and flares. If they took away things like the rules on flags and banners, and maybe work with supporter groups, lighten up on security, you would have a real great atmosphere, it's simple but they just don't get it. Things like renovating the south end, adding roofs, is a also a bonus to improve the atmosphere.
    Last edited by james; 04-14-2012 at 10:40 AM.