Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default An honest thought

The supporters and fans truly did not bring it on opening day.

Ive been watching more MLS over the years and other supporters groups are bringing it loud and more. In the end, we cannot control the glory or mess on the pitch, but indeed in our sections we need to expect more of ourselves, our peers and beyond.

The laurels garnished upon us from the Skydome CCL match perhaps could have cause complacency but I did not talk to a single person satisfied with the effort from ourselves. In the end I felt the effort in the stands and on the field did not match up to our previously high standard. I know we all can move forward on wednesday and on saturday and truly bring it for 90 minutes. The past five years have been tough and Ill accept a jaded approach to belief for the boys on the field but do not let that seep into singing for 90 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasent the best of home openers*but the most disgraceful moment of the day took place in the 93rd minuet.*

As the whistle blew to end the match, BMO field erupted into boos.*This was more embarrassing to me than the 3-0 score line. Its Embarrassing to do in front of our own players, in front of visiting fans, and in front of all the MLS, who view Toronto fans as poster boys for the league
    I love the support we have been getting this year but if your only going to cheer, sing, and be loud when the team is*winning, and boo when things don't go our way.... well thats not right in my eyes.

Just my 2 cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was cold, it was windy, it was dark and gloomy, it was a really early game after a friday night, the other team scored not even 10 minutes into the game......

Not too surprised... I certainly wasn't in the mood to go mental.

Quote Originally Posted by Walms View Post
    It wasent the best of home openers*but the most disgraceful moment of the day took place in the 93rd minuet.*

As the whistle blew to end the match, BMO field erupted into boos.*This was more embarrassing to me than the 3-0 score line. Its Embarrassing to do in front of our own players, in front of visiting fans, and in front of all the MLS, who view Toronto fans as poster boys for the league
    If we were the only city that reacted to getting thumped like that, it might be embarrassing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the support we have been getting this year but if your only going to cheer, sing, and be loud when the team is*winning, and boo when things don't go our way.... well thats not right in my eyes.

Just my 2 cents
    I have to disagree with your statement.

We were there for them 93 minutes long,was our support loud and good as we can be?NO,but so was the performance of our team on the field.

TFC fans are not Maple Leaf fans ,puppets with big bank accounts that will go to game after game and do fuckall to display their displeasure with their team performance.

This is what makes TFC fans to be a poster boys of MLS,when your team sucks you let them know that,nothing wrong with that.

I just hope they got the message and they will play much better Wednesday night.
    Last edited by denime; 03-25-2012 at 05:42 AM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had trouble even identifying the chants on the west side. Wind played havoc with the way the sound carried.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without a doubt the worst opener we've had to date. Unreal combination of factors - bad weather sucked the life out of the crowd, roster disorder due to injuries, early visitor goal, anti-climatic "2nd opener" after the big game at R.C, poor match management by Winter, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Without a doubt the worst opener we've had to date. Unreal combination of factors - bad weather sucked the life out of the crowd, roster disorder due to injuries, early visitor goal, anti-climatic "2nd opener" after the big game at R.C, poor match management by Winter, etc.

the people behind me did not even know who plata was.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know that is fair to judge the support given the wind. I sit up in 224 on the west side, and most of the chanting was drown out by the wind and the stands making a vibrating sound caused by the wind. From what I could see, the supporters groups in the bunker were pretty steady for most of the game with chants, etc. With such a poor opening 10-12 minutes from the home team it is hard to be motivated too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my 2 cents
    I don't agree at all. If we are very diassappointed with what we see - if we get beaten easily at home, we need to be vocal about our opinion. We cheer when we are happy, equally we should boo if we are upset. Toronto people are clearly too polite when it comes to vocalising their discontent! I don't see anything embarrassing about showing that we are upset. I'm more embarrassed when the players come over after we lose heavily, and we politely clap like we don't care that we just sucked!

The TFC players and management need to know when we are unhappy, being mute after the game isn't going to help them improve anymore, they are just going to think that we don't care!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The booing at the end of the game highlighted to me the increasingly different positions most fans have vs the supporters groups. It seems the fans are not as forgiving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    The supporters and fans truly did not bring it on opening day.

Ive been watching more MLS over the years and other supporters groups are bringing it loud and more. In the end, we cannot control the glory or mess on the pitch, but indeed in our sections we need to expect more of ourselves, our peers and beyond.

The laurels garnished upon us from the Skydome CCL match perhaps could have cause complacency but I did not talk to a single person satisfied with the effort from ourselves. In the end I felt the effort in the stands and on the field did not match up to our previously high standard. I know we all can move forward on wednesday and on saturday and truly bring it for 90 minutes. The past five years have been tough and Ill accept a jaded approach to belief for the boys on the field but do not let that seep into singing for 90 minutes.
    Agree.

We (club, team, supporters) have been mediocre for a long time now. And mismanagement in the front office, dressing room and stands are the reason for our new standard.

Occasionally on the days when the weather is good, kick off time is good, GO schedule works, there is no issues with highways or parking and the teams plays well and scores few goals everything improves. But most of the time, it is what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post

We were there for them 93 minutes long,was our support loud and good as we can be?NO,but so was the performance of our team on the field.

TFC fans are not Maple Leaf fans ,puppets with big bank accounts that will go to game after game and do fuckall to display their displeasure with their team performance.

This is what makes TFC fans to be a poster boys of MLS,when your team sucks you let them know that,nothing wrong with that.

I just hope they got the message and they will play much better Wednesday night.
    I'm more referring to the "fan" that sits in the non supported section and spend the entire game talking about how "Toronto is total shit."

It was getting vary annoying in the 200 section and yes the booing at the end, coming from "fad fans" got under my skin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why is booing a terrible performance wrong? So fans are just supposed to accept a poor performance then

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I'm never sure what to think when someone prefaces a thought with the observation that this one is "honest". What does that mean about everything else you say?

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    To be honest, I'm never sure what to think when someone prefaces a thought with the observation that this one is "honest". What does that mean about everything else you say?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    The booing at the end of the game highlighted to me the increasingly different positions most fans have vs the supporters groups. It seems the fans are not as forgiving.
    I Booed them. They fucking deserved it. 3-0 lose at home on opening day? disgraceful IMO. Anyone who disagrees I'd like to hear why you think 3-0 lose in professional sports warrants anything different.

When they win, even tie in certain situations, I'll praise them and give them the credit they deserve. Even a lose in some circumstances deserves a bit of praise, but for the most part...loosing does not deserve positive reinforcment.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 03-25-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never boo the team but I find it hard to judge others for doing it in this case. We got destroyed 3-0 in our home opener. The team barely ever showed the drive that I think the fans deserve to see.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I find this really difficult. It's like the supporters groups will just condone any type of TFC display, even if they completely suck! Where is the passion, Red Patch Boys? Do you even CARE if TFC play well or not? It kinda seems like some of you really don't mind at all if TFC lose or win! Where is your passion? I hate to sound like Delia Smith, but come on RPB, lets get passionate about your team, and vocalise when you are unhappy.

I was serioulsy embarrassed a couple of times last season when the team totally sucked and were played off the field, yet 112 and 113 clapped the players like they really appreciated "their effort". I'm sorry, but effort is all good, but if we (TFC fans AND supporters groups) want a decent on field product, we need to ALL let the club know when we are seriously disappoined with a performance.

I wouldn't go out for a nice dinner and compliment the chef if he burnt all the food and it tasted terrible, and yet "he tried hard". I wouldn't give a good tip to a waiter if he poured wine all over my head or licked a knife clean. Equally, we shouldn't just sit around clapping politely if the team we want to succeed are playing terrible.

Until WE start showing passion, why should this team improve? They don't have any incentive to get any better if we "politely stay quiet" or cheer when they are awful! If TFC are terrible, we need to BOOH and let them know we are NOT happy. Politeness isn't going to achieve anything.

T-boy AKA Delia!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't like the bloody booing well what do you bloody expect. We lost at home 3-0 in a league where teams hardly suffer defeats at home, and we have had more than our share of games like this at home since this team started in 2007. What do you expect we are the only expansion team that have not made the playoffs after so many years in the league and after so much promise after the champions league run we come up with two stinkers in our first two games, people are fed up with this garbage and you can see it with the mountains of empty seats yesterday. The Columbus Crew home opener yesterday had more or about the same amount of people at their home opener. TFC is not the leafs and if this crap continues BMO will be a very empty stadium very soon, how long do we have to wait before we see a playoff bound team!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I find this really difficult. It's like the supporters groups will just condone any type of TFC display, even if they completely suck! Where is the passion, Red Patch Boys? Do you even CARE if TFC play well or not? It kinda seems like some of you really don't mind at all if TFC lose or win! Where is your passion? I hate to sound like Delia Smith, but come on RPB, lets get passionate about your team, and vocalise when you are unhappy.

T-boy AKA Delia!
    I don't think you should generalize the group with this statement.
    The majority of the group is on the same page as you. As you can see, there isn't an overwhelming flow of responses from RPB members against what you are saying.
    Just because one poster assumes something, doesn't mean you should follow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post

seriously, what game were you at

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the booing, actually. The problem with every Toronto sports team is their complacency, and the fact that as a city we let them get away with it. If a professional football player doesn't perform and gets booed, good.

It's painful to watch a half empty stadium at the best of times, and I don't think the weather comes into it if you're a real football fan. I actually strongly dislike BMO Field. It looks tacky, it doesn't posses any charm and its only the supporters groups that create any kind of an atmosphere. The noise just blows away on to Lake Ontario. I'd be more than happy to move more games to the Rogers Centre, or finish BMO Field off so it doesn't look like a High School stadium.

Love isn't actually blind. So when as a whole we claim we're passionate, we shouldn't get that mixed up with being taken for a ride. In that respect, I agree with T-Boy. You can claim you're real 'fans', but actually, just singing for 90 minutes without facing the pitch doesn't make you that. Watching the game and reacting to it emotionally makes you a fan. So yeah, if you've paid a lot of money and get pissed on (figuratively and literally) I'd say you're perfectly entitled to boo.

PS This whole Supporter Groups vs Fad fans shit is exactly the sort of thing that will drive people away from TFC games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was just another day in the park for many (fans) and supporters alike. I found it that was the poorest home opener in our short history.
    Supporters don't deserve the recognition, the players don't deserve any neither. AFter such a great display at the skydone we fell flat on our asses for the most important game of all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan View Post
    You don't like the bloody booing well what do you bloody expect. We lost at home 3-0 in a league where teams hardly suffer defeats at home, and we have had more than our share of games like this at home since this team started in 2007. What do you expect we are the only expansion team that have not made the playoffs after so many years in the league and after so much promise after the champions league run we come up with two stinkers in our first two games, people are fed up with this garbage and you can see it with the mountains of empty seats yesterday. The Columbus Crew home opener yesterday had more or about the same amount of people at their home opener. TFC is not the leafs and if this crap continues BMO will be a very empty stadium very soon, how long do we have to wait before we see a playoff bound team!
    true^;.. along with the complete refusal of the city to realise the transportation needs of it`s $$ citizens I.E. GO,..TTC,...and parking of course, .why wouldn`t people be on edge,..shit I had people driving by me trying to give away tickets for free . realizing it just wasn`t worth their effort (and families),..to freeze and try to get into the game......Sooo,..for whatever the reason,....many negatives are now overriding the few, few positives.....AND if this goes down......it won`t be back,.....so, again...I feel like singing???? ,... not always esp, as Rome burns...BUT I do contribute a lot, invisibly at banner sessions as do a FEW.....it`s another way of contributing to something you love but still are saddened and confused with the product on the field....ALL support doesn`t necessarily come from singing!!!...I`m angry and thats my business..however I never boo........quiet is enough for me and more effective........BUT definitely understand peoples frustration and reason for booing...and it has it's purpose! ...I mean our children`s children will still be waiting for a MLSE team to win ANYTHING!.........I hope anyone critiquing on field support ,are at least involving themselves in OTHER means of supporting soccer/our team/the game experience/BANNERS
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They deserved to be booed. That was a disgrace. I have no clue as to why anyone would bring up the Leafs or their fans, what do they have to do with anything? I thought it was ridiculous that people were still singing and the drummer kept droning on until the end of the game. TFC deserved to hear stone cold silence. I swear to god people are playing dress up down at BMO. Anyone who cares about this team should have had their blood boiling yesterday. Singing? Are you kidding?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    seriously, what game were you at
    Can you elaborate your post little bit more?
    Last edited by denime; 03-25-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fans did not bring it? Fine so be it but honestly whenever this message starts coming out I have to ask what did you do and what do you expect to be done? I'm not trying to knock constructive criticism one bit but it needs to have a suggestion to go with it.

No one in a supporters section can make anyone support; we can't force you to chant, to wave a flag to put down your french fries and sing along. The hope is to encourage others to want to contribute but beyond that it is up to each supporter to support.

I am an Online Pole
    RPB Twitter and Facebook Bitch (http://www.twitter.com/redpatchboys)
    Pride...Passion...Purpose...and DRANK

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has everything to do with the product on the field. Supporters/fans are getting fed up and noone can blame them. Some of us/most of us have been following the team since its inception into the league in 2007, while others well before that (Lynx, Blizzard). We live and breath football and want to see our team win, or at least be competitive. With the high of beating LA in the quarterfinals of the CCL, a lot of us thought this team would be off to a strong start in league play, or at least have a point or two from its first two matches. Yet we got soundly beaten by Seattle AND San Jose (conceding 6 goals and having 1 goal for). Something has to give and fans have every right to be upset. I was in 112 and it was lively up until the 2nd goal. The 2nd goal clearly took the energy out of the supporters and the 3rd goal was the nail in the coffin. Still, as someone else mentioned, there were a lot of factors leading up to the atmosphere we saw. Let's bring the noise on Wednesday and hopefully get a better performance out of the players.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first half they played relatively well I thought, I though they would come back for sure. I was sure wrong. They deserved getting booed off the pitch with the second half performance. People have to temper their expectations though, a good run in a cup competition doesn't mean that those results will translate in a league.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think were all in a bit of CCL hangover.
    After such an Epic night at Skydome, then the win in LA, we were all excited for the season to start.
    Then we loose Frings, and first game 3-0 to Seattle, then we loose Frei.
    But yesterday's effort did not do much to raise our hope's in advancing to the CCL finals and MLS playoffs.
    There's nothing wrong with showing displeasure at the product on the field in my opinion.
    Better days ahead...

Let's bring it on Wednesday night.
    Last edited by Torontotonto; 03-25-2012 at 04:02 PM.