Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Frings update

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You sure you're weighting the payoffs correctly?

We have a decent shot at MLS playoffs every year. We will get maybe a handful of shots at the CCL in our lifetime.
    LOL you're right of course but we haven't exactly succeeded when the probabilities were even more in our favour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    It is very hard to make it to the semi finals of the champions league. 4 games away from playing in the club world cup.

This has to be our #1 priority.

I couldn't agree more. Right now I am so much happier making it to the semi finals of the CCL then I would be be making the MLS play offs.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think long term the CCL is more important to gauge where we are at vs the top teams on the continent but in the immediate future making the MLS playoffs is more important locally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is more important for an MLS Club to excel in the CCL, because it is International Club Football, the MLS Playoffs are something to strive towards as an added bonus, I don't like the stupid North American Playoff format anyway. My opinion only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's still a lot of work to be done with the line-up. JDG has had about 1 game's worth of minutes for TFC in preseason, CCL and regular season combined. It's kind of unfair to him really to be expected to take the reigns from Frings given how little playing time he's had. He needs to get minutes on Saturday. They need to come out with the strongest team they can Saturday if for no other reason to be fully prepped for Wednesday. Resting makes no sense either from the league perspective or advancing in the CCL perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did I miss an update on JDG's status, or has there not been one? Specifically, does anyone know why he didn't play in Seattle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VoxPopuliCosmicum View Post
    Did I miss an update on JDG's status, or has there not been one? Specifically, does anyone know why he didn't play in Seattle?
    I think JDG not playing is one of those strange Winter personnel decisions that no one but him quite understands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess (just a guess) was the Winter plan was the play Frings vs Seattle & rest JDG...
    Then rest Frings during the home opener - while playing JDG....
    Then Frings has 11-days rest for Santos, while JDG doesn't start that match...

The injury blew that plan all that to hell...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    My guess (just a guess) was the Winter plan was the play Frings vs Seattle & rest JDG...
    Then rest Frings during the home opener - while playing JDG....
    Then Frings has 11-days rest for Santos, while JDG doesn't start that match...

The injury blew that plan all that to hell...
    JDG played one half of one of the friendlies against the college teams in preseason, didn't play a single minute of the Disney tournament, none of the first CCL game, 63 minutes of the second CCL game. He needed minutes, not rest. I don't understand that decision at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I think JDG not playing is one of those strange Winter personnel decisions that no one but him quite understands.
    He's going to be the captain on Saturday.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wasnt there something i was hearing about him having a bum knee for the past two years that hadnt fully healed? maybe its that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    JDG played one half of one of the friendlies against the college teams in preseason, didn't play a single minute of the Disney tournament, none of the first CCL game, 63 minutes of the second CCL game. He needed minutes, not rest. I don't understand that decision at all.
    But played 78 minutes in the CMNT match on February 29th.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That's why I didn't get the decision to rest him for the entire game against Seattle. If JDG had been healthy, one would have thought at least a half would have been in order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    But played 78 minutes in the CMNT match on February 29th.
    Yeah. It wasn't a bad decision sending him there since he couldn't play in the CCL game, but he's had the least amount of minutes with TFC of any of the starters. He really looked it against LA. He didn't have the legs at all and his passing was off. Now he'll have to shoulder the load, having barely played. I think he should be captain and I hope he rises to the responsbility but he hasn't been given any favours by the lack of playing time. He should have been in against Seattle for at least a half. Winter has a habit of tinkering with line-ups when we need a consistent starting 11 that has gelled and can play that flowing game we were seeing last year. I hope JDG isn't set up to fail because fans are particularly harsh on him.