Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Could TFC win the Treble?

I know it's crazy talk, but with TFC taking out the defending MLS champs and supposedly the best team in the league, are we good enough to win the treble [CCL, MLS Cup and VCup]?

Obiviously CCL will be the toughest, but if we somehow manage to win that then we would clearly have a team that's good enough to beat the majority of teams in MLS. We're playing well now at the start of the season and a lot of our players haven't yet hit form. Plus we'll have Cann coming back which should improve our backline and allow Frings to command the mdfield a little more.

Probably just a victory hangover giving me these delusions of grandeur, but we finally have a squad to match our preseason hopes.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One can only dream.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to calm down a little, I think!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

easy there. this is the kind of expectation that's going to get Winter's July rating thread filled with crappy scores because we're 'only' 3rd in the east

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truth is, this squad is still hard pressed to make the playoffs, even in a weaker Eastern Conference.

Seattle this weekend might be a bit of a wake-up call. The Santos series likely won't be very pretty.

I don't want to be down on the team after its greatest victory, but they were vastly outplayed by a currently weakened Galaxy team. The backline is still a problem and will be exposed multiple times if things don't improve there. They won, bottom line, but this team still has a ways to go to be a playoff contender, let alone an MLS cup contender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

treble? you forgot the club world cup as well, which is easily in our grasp now as well....until we lose 1-0 in a home game, then everybody will be back to saying how shit we are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if I may any comments Oldtimer will ban me

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truth be told, I don't think any MLS team could. Competing on multiple fronts takes squad depth, which no team really has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's play at least one league game! I like the optimism but that's what gets the Leafs shot down every year!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    treble? you forgot the club world cup as well, which is easily in our grasp now as well....until we lose 1-0 in a home game, then everybody will be back to saying how shit we are.
    Ha, my favourite comment. Like I said though, VERY wishful thinking. I realize it's going to be a challenge in all three competitions, especially with Vancouver fielding a much stronger side this year. As long as we're competitive, I'll be happy. No more of this suck all year then try to squeeze in by 3 points in October nonsense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    Let's play at least one league game! I like the optimism but that's what gets the Leafs shot down every year!
    I think we should get one of these going

https://www.facebook.com/events/184316338271513/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the Sober thinking, but LA has a really hard time getting victories against Toronto. They haven't beat us since 2009. And have only beat us 3 times in 5 years.
    LA was the best possible team for us to end up against in the Quarterfinals the odds were really on our side. (DC United is the only other team they didn't beat at least once last season)

T-G
    2-1 2012 W
    2-2 2012 T
    2-2 2011 T
    0-0 2011 T
    0-0 2010 T
    0-0 2010 T
    0-2 2009 L
    1-2 2009 L
    2-0 2008 W
    3-2 2008 W
    1-2 2007 L
    0-0 2007 T

All Time 3-3-6

It would be great but we have a strong Vancouver side, strong MLS sides, and Two Mexican teams that we have to dispatch to do that.

It's possible and actually worth day dreaming about 2 days before our MLS season opener... but don't hold your breath... cause it'll be 7 1/2 months and you'd die.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
    if I may any comments Oldtimer will ban me
    lol, I guess your comments would be too caustic.

Seriously, though, no individual moderator ever bans anyone. They are always group decisions.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now my response:

No MLS team has ever even won the CCL. I don't expect TFC to do it either.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we want to talk about expectations - then I think "my personal" expectation of this season is to be almost unbeaten at home, and either in the playoffs, or at least fighting to have a chance of the playoffs, come the end of the season.

I realistically expect TFC to struggle on the road still, but if we can win the majority of our home games, there is no reason why we can't be "there or there abouts" around the playoffs come October.

My "fear" for this season is a lack of quality in depth. If Frings/Koevs, and maybe one or two others get injured through the season, we will struggle. Our season is going to depend on important players keeping fit for as long as possible.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we have reasonable depth in most positions aside from defence. We've shown that goals can come from more than a single player up front with Johnson, Plata, Silva and Soolsma showing some decent scoring ability.

That said, if we're only showing a 'fighting chance' at making the playoffs, this season will be another failure. We've been in that position with worse squads a couple of times now, including the big meltdown in NY. Realistically, I think we should at least make the playoffs and if we can topple the WhiteCraps in the Vcup final, that as well.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it's not as outrageous as saying we can win MLS cup, the league's supporters shield, and the CCL. That would be the perfect year.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark83 View Post
    I know it's crazy talk, but with TFC taking out the defending MLS champs and supposedly the best team in the league, are we good enough to win the treble [CCL, MLS Cup and VCup]?
    im glad you recognize this, optimism to the extreme LOL.
    personally, i dont think we're good enough. i wanted a deep CCL run, and last MLS team, first canadian team, semi-finals certainly fills that criteria. hell, making it out of our group stage was terrific.

ive made a post about this before, what do we consider the treble? it's normally league, domestic and confederation. so if thats the case the supporters shield and MLS cup are sorta on par. im sure if a team is close to it, the MLS will post something on their website confirming it. either way, to answer your question:

MLS cup/Supporters Shield
    CONCACAF Champions League
    Voyagers Cup

in one season? perhaps. just not this one. i dont see us winning the league or the SS.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only with DeRo.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Only with DeRo.

if i didnt have two scarfs as my sig, this would be it..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Personally, I'll be happy with a playoff spot and not getting embarrassed by Santos laguna.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Vastly outplayed by' Galaxy. I don't think so. We showed competitiveness and skill. Were we perfect? Not by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by NBS View Post
    Truth is, this squad is still hard pressed to make the playoffs, even in a weaker Eastern Conference.

Seattle this weekend might be a bit of a wake-up call. The Santos series likely won't be very pretty.

I don't want to be down on the team after its greatest victory, but they were vastly outplayed by a currently weakened Galaxy team. The backline is still a problem and will be exposed multiple times if things don't improve there. They won, bottom line, but this team still has a ways to go to be a playoff contender, let alone an MLS cup contender.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playoffs?...PLAYOFFS??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Playoffs?...PLAYOFFS??
    Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Only with DeRo.

i think roogsy just created a meme..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obiviously CCL will be the toughest, but if we somehow manage to win that then we would clearly have a team that's good enough to beat the majority of teams in MLS. We're playing well now at the start of the season and a lot of our players haven't yet hit form. Plus we'll have Cann coming back which should improve our backline and allow Frings to command the mdfield a little more.

Probably just a victory hangover giving me these delusions of grandeur, but we finally have a squad to match our preseason hopes.
    Do you still have the same opinion Mark after the San Jose game?!

What a difference a weekend makes eh?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Do you still have the same opinion Mark after the San Jose game?!

What a difference a weekend makes eh?!
    Less optimistic now, sure, but any club that makes the play-offs will have a good chance - and the same goes for the Canada Cup and CCL.

Let's review on Wednesday after the game

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Less optimistic now, sure, but any club that makes the play-offs will have a good chance - and the same goes for the Canada Cup and CCL.

Let's review on Wednesday after the game
    This is where I'm starting to panic a little - "lets review on Wednesday after we play the team that just beat Seattle 6-1, who just beat us 3-1"! Yikes! Let's NOT pin our hopes of this season on Wednesday!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea I might have considered changing my username after Saturday's game lol.
    As short as they may be, those moments where I think of nothing but "TFC F*** YEAHHH!" are what keep me going as a fan through all of these terrible, terrible, rough spots.
    I can't imagine how Leaf fans do it. Are they still feeding off energy stored up from the pre-lockout playoff runs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea I might have considered changing my username after Saturday's game lol.
    As short as they may be, those moments where I think of nothing but "TFC F*** YEAHHH!" are what keep me going as a fan through all of these terrible, terrible, rough spots.
    I can't imagine how Leaf fans do it. Are they still feeding off energy stored up from the pre-lockout playoff runs?
    That's exactly it. Relishing in the highs are what makes being a fan worth it. There is always more lows than highs (especially with this club) but enjoying the highs is what makes it worth going through the tough times.

Good for you mark for embracing the moment after the LA tie.