Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we probably need to win the first leg 3-0 to advance. 2-0 might do it because that would allow us a 3-1 loss on the way back and that seems possible, but i'm not going to feel confident about our chances unless we get it to 3-0.

realistically, this is where it ends. but it's still great to be here and, hey, you never know...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will they be selling Match day scarves at BMO. Wouldn't mind picking up a TFC v Santos scarf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockxlee View Post
    Will they be selling Match day scarves at BMO. Wouldn't mind picking up a TFC v Santos scarf.
    That would be sweet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I am getting ahead of myself, but it just might Toronto's year, it just might be Toronto's year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope we aren't limited to just our season seats. My friends want tickets, I need 10 not 3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many of our youngster will we be missing due to the Olympic Qualifying tournament? Will Morgan be released with the CCL game falling during this period?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devioustrevor View Post
    How many of our youngster will we be missing due to the Olympic Qualifying tournament? Will Morgan be released with the CCL game falling during this period?
    :O..... no...... please no....... please god no...... oh no. oh no oh no oh no. well, my days ruined. someone please tell me this isn't true

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope TFC put some thought into the travel/hotel arrangements for the team for the second leg. Mexican supporters groups take their "jobs" seriously. For important games, there is a high likelihood of the visiting team's chartered bus breaking down with a flat tire, and interruptions in the team's hotel during the night (noise outside the hotel, fire alarms being pulled, etc.) TFC needs to find the right person at Cruz Azul or America or whomever to navigate this stuff for them. If I were Winter, I would get involved personally to make sure these elements are sorted out.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really really hope the TFC front office staff limit the tickets to 4 per person!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I really hope TFC put some thought into the travel/hotel arrangements for the team for the second leg. Mexican supporters groups take their "jobs" seriously. For important games, there is a high likelihood of the visiting team's chartered bus breaking down with a flat tire, and interruptions in the team's hotel during the night (noise outside the hotel, fire alarms being pulled, etc.) TFC needs to find the right person at Cruz Azul or America or whomever to navigate this stuff for them. If I were Winter, I would get involved personally to make sure these elements are sorted out.
    LOL, the sad thing is that you're probably right. I doubt Winter has ever experienced such shenanigans in Europe, so hopefully our CONCACAF battle hardened veterans like JDG and Ryan Johnson can give management the head's up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Never heard of that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome, pre-game thread goes to five pages in less that 12 hours!!

A couple of thoughts about TFC - Santos Laguna:
    - Nobody thought it would possible for TFC to get past Cruz Azul a few years ago. They did: beat them 2-1 at BMO, and tied them in Mexico. That was with a worse team, "led" by Preki, etc. Yes, Santos Laguna looks better than Cruz Azul, but TFC also look better than that Preki TFC team. Although it will be incredibly difficult to get past Santos, anything is possible.

- I think one chance we have, is that a few players haven't really stepped up yet this season, that we know can do better. I'm thinking especially of JDG & Koevermans. If the others play the best they've shown us this season; and if JDG, Koef, and a few others improve their game, that would be a real boost. (I know Danny K. has done some good things even w/o scoring, but he hasn't reached the potential yet that he showed us last season.) With a few more games & practices before March 28th, everyone should be at their peak.

- Hopefully Winter & Co have really done their homework on Santos Laguna, and play smart. E.g., Morgan and especially Ecks have to be a bit more careful at defensive duties. They can't give the opponents too much time & space down the flanks, and due to their speed, they're more likely to be able catch a fast attacker than our slow CBs.

- TFC should really try to maintain more possession, rather than only absorbing pressure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand why everybody is saying that Koev's isn't playing well, or isn't playing at his best? I've seen him look good out there. He hasn't had any real good crosses into him yet (which is where we know he works best) but that doesn't mean he's playing badly. Koev's has the most difficult position in the TFC line up in the 4-3-3 trying to be the one out-and-out striker up front. It's a lonely job up there sometimes, but he is working hard, and tracking back when needed. It will only take one decent cross into him, and he'll have a goal before you can sneeze!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it 2 yellows and you are suspended?

Juan Pablo Rodriquez (their influential holding mid) got a yellow in each game against Seattle...hopefully that means he sits out in Toronto right?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    is it 2 yellows and you are suspended?

Juan Pablo Rodriquez (their influential holding mid) got a yellow in each game against Seattle...hopefully that means he sits out in Toronto right?
    That's correct. We get yet another break.

TFC will have to have a strong lead going into Mexico. I don't even think 2-0 is enough. It will need to be at least a 3 goal lead.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That's correct. We get yet another break.

TFC will have to have a strong lead going into Mexico. I don't even think 2-0 is enough. It will need to be at least a 3 goal lead.
    the first thing we need to do...well i am not sure.

We need to do 2 things.

1. Keep a cleansheet.
    2. Score at least 3 goals.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockxlee View Post
    no, theyre only selling toTORONTO/DAVID BECKHAM scarfs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    I see no reason why we cannot also get a result in Toronto, too, and then park the bus in the second game.
    I'd like to agree with this statement but we've never been able to "park the bus" against anyone. Look at the LA match, we went up 1-0 and then tried to hold on but couldn't. When TFC tries to park the bus they just kick the ball past half when they get it. You have to be able to hold possession of the ball when you are down in order to truly kill the clock. You can't sit on a lead the way we try to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 1-0 could do it. We can park the bus in Mexico.

Seattle thought they can play with these guys. We know better!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

call me crazy but I think if we score more goal than they do we will win.....

if we do go up a goal or two we should keep going. step on their throats! I hate when teams sit back. did barca do that last week? unless it's a small team v giants I hate that crap. wé deserve to be there just as much as them.

anyone get the email about seats yet?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No not yet. I called Toronto FC front office. They said email will be about 11:00am to 12:00 noon today. )

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I don't understand why everybody is saying that Koev's isn't playing well, or isn't playing at his best? I've seen him look good out there. He hasn't had any real good crosses into him yet (which is where we know he works best) but that doesn't mean he's playing badly. Koev's has the most difficult position in the TFC line up in the 4-3-3 trying to be the one out-and-out striker up front. It's a lonely job up there sometimes, but he is working hard, and tracking back when needed. It will only take one decent cross into him, and he'll have a goal before you can sneeze!
    Agreed.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    This crazy idea might work!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laiping View Post
    No not yet. I called Toronto FC front office. They said email will be about 11:00am to 12:00 noon today. )

got the same answer.

we have until Tuesday to buy our own seats. so there's no panic today. additional seats have to be picked up next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it seems definite that we only get access to our own seats then. Makes sense but too bad. I'll have a few people asking for tickets that won't be able to get them. Hopefully this is the first game that Mexican supporters won't be able to get into in numbers! All the other CCL games we've had against Mexican teams have had strong shows of support for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone is beatable on this side of the pond...ANYONE!

Seattle took these guys at home....so can we!

Beating Mexican sides on mexican soil is always a tough task for sure....getting a result is possible....its SANTOS ffs not Barcalona!

lets have it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I am all too aware that they are not Barca, my other team is playing them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    whooaaa. mind blown.

i haven't gotten the tickets email. but suuuper pumped bout the game. win or lose i'm just ecstatic we got this far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    I'd like to agree with this statement but we've never been able to "park the bus" against anyone. Look at the LA match, we went up 1-0 and then tried to hold on but couldn't. When TFC tries to park the bus they just kick the ball past half when they get it. You have to be able to hold possession of the ball when you are down in order to truly kill the clock. You can't sit on a lead the way we try to.
    hmm but we seemed to be able to do that just fine against cruz azul with reserves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My biggest fear is a few key yellows in the game at BMO. Ecks, Soolsma Koevs. any of them being suspended going to Mexico could be bad.

I'm not worried about beating them at BMO I think that is our game to lose. What I'm concerned about is 3600Ft above sea level, in early season form against a late season form team used to the altitude. That is a bigger killer of teams then anything.

it makes 60 minutes feel like 90.. and I think that is what happened to Seattle. They ran out of gas and started to make mistakes.