Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Lack of professionalism on TFC?

After listening to the post game interviews for this game and last, there seems to be a re-occuring problem that the players and coaches keep bringing up.

Lack of profressionalism..Lack of trying...

What are your thoughts on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe its torontos curse having our sports enviroment so polite and nice that the athletes kinda forget why they are here.

like if I said Koevs is overweight and out of shape, and hosing our money.

Somebody would jump to his defence, coddle him and comeup with excuses to why our million dollar strike is performing no better than RJ(who been playing the part of big bank).

The type of enviroment that has convinced the entire city that reimer is a premier goaltender
    and not somebody that was hot 2 seasons ago.

Or that if the raptors draft the most unathletic goy out of the draft it will make our team better.

The bottom line is our sporting enviroment is a joke, Canadas wonderland for athletes.............zero accoutability just another face passing the Buck, the puck or the ball.

-Doubleup
    Last edited by DoubleUp; 03-24-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that was a theme ... in the past. I don't want to pass any judgement on the current group.

For our previous coaches: we had a terribly flawed system of checks-and-balances where a complete idiot was given too much power. The other thing was that 3/4 guys we hired has zero head coaching experience prior to Toronto FC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Professionalism starts from the leadership down. I think TFC has taken steps in the right direction to becoming a better franchise.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this will do or curse of toronto,..I am at a complete f##kin loss,...I do know the curse of the leafs has
    finally settled as Many fans arrived late and MANY fans left way to early , although who can blame them ...A f##king home opener that we were definitely not a team...
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    I believe its torontos curse having our sports enviroment so polite and nice that the athletes kinda forget why they are here.

like if I said Koevs is overweight and out of shape, and hosing our money.

Somebody would jump to his defence, coddle him and comeup with excuses to why our million dollar strike is performing no better than RJ(who been playing the part of big bank).

The type of enviroment that has convinced the entire city that reimer is a premier goaltender
    and not somebody that was hot 2 seasons ago.

Or that if the raptors draft the most unathletic goy out of the draft it will make our team better.

The bottom line is our sporting enviroment is a joke, Canadas wonderland for athletes.............zero accoutability just another face passing the Buck, the puck or the ball.

-Doubleup
    Without taking the exact examples you gave, there is some truth in this.
    However, supporters will be supporters and come to the defense of the player, however as a professional the player shouldn't and wouldn't even pay attention to this type of stuff.

If there is a player who isn't living up to work ethics I hope Winter can do something about it. I think he can do it with the help of DeClerk.

i wonder who it is.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I agree that was a theme ... in the past. I don't want to pass any judgement on the current group.

For our previous coaches: we had a terribly flawed system of checks-and-balances where a complete idiot was given too much power. The other thing was that 3/4 guys we hired has zero head coaching experience prior to Toronto FC.
    Eckersley said it in the post game, Winter has said in twice in two weeks. I remember another interview last week...maybe the week before for LA - someone said it.
    It has nothing to do with previous Toronto teams.

This happens on every team. Its just the outcome depends on how the coach can deal with it.
    Do you think Winter can deal with this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Eckersley said it in the post game, Winter has said in twice in two weeks. I remember another interview last week...maybe the week before for LA - someone said it.
    It has nothing to do with previous Toronto teams.

This happens on every team. Its just the outcome depends on how the coach can deal with it.
    Do you think Winter can deal with this?
    Can you be more specific about what was said, like the context of the quotes? Sorry, I missed this.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Can you be more specific about what was said, like the context of the quotes? Sorry, I missed this.
    Winter Last Week:http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/0...me-aron-winter
    Winter This Week: http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/0...me-aron-winter

Eckersley: http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/0...hard-eckersley

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with this. Fan culture in Toronto has a very passive aggressive way of not holding players accountable for poor effort and giving everyone the benefit of the doubt until it's way too late. Lacking the skill is one thing, but lacking effort is entirely different and there should be no excuse for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aron is a youth coach, hes not good enough to be a head coach of a team. his tactics are way off, he gives shit players more playing time than they should be getting, and i takes him so long to realize whos good. It will take him by June to realize that Burgos is better than duncefield, and Emory/Doneil is better than harden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This talk of fans not holding the players accountable reminds me about something DeGuzman had said in an interview after he got here.

After the first away loss while he was on the team (4-1 in New England) Julian asked the other players what to expect from the fans after the game. The article states that in Germany, fans would sit cross legged infront of the bus, and not let it leave until they have answers. In spain the fans would go from worshiping you one game, to telling you you suck the next.

Maybe thats something we need to think about. Support the boys while they are on the pitch, but if they don't deliver, wait around after the game, and demand answers as they walk out the door. Losing the game is bad enough, but having the accountability of having to answer to us after the game may make them step up their game that little bit more. Being nice and passive hasn't gotten us anywhere, so maybe it's time for a new approach to losses.

Here is the article - http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...-culture-shock

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not just players that need to be accountable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

funny you say this Roogsy, today I completely agree with you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    It's not just players that need to be accountable.
    Who else? it's up to the player to make the effort. you can't always blame the coach. But if the coach doesn't do something about it, then there's a problem.

We are 2 games into the new season with a bunch of young players. I wouldn't start a witch hunt yet. That's starts in June/July IMO
    Last edited by jabbronies; 03-25-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And that right there is the problem with the Toronto fan, when accountability is equated to a witch-hunt.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Of course it is a witch hunt. It's a witch hunt in every major football league in the world. Not just in Toronto..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    This talk of fans not holding the players accountable reminds me about something DeGuzman had said in an interview after he got here.

After the first away loss while he was on the team (4-1 in New England) Julian asked the other players what to expect from the fans after the game. The article states that in Germany, fans would sit cross legged infront of the bus, and not let it leave until they have answers. In spain the fans would go from worshiping you one game, to telling you you suck the next.

Maybe thats something we need to think about. Support the boys while they are on the pitch, but if they don't deliver, wait around after the game, and demand answers as they walk out the door. Losing the game is bad enough, but having the accountability of having to answer to us after the game may make them step up their game that little bit more. Being nice and passive hasn't gotten us anywhere, so maybe it's time for a new approach to losses.

Interesting, I like the idea

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Walms View Post
    Interesting, I like the idea
    You like the idea of fans sitting cross legged in front of the bus, and not let it leave until they have answers. In Spain the fans would go from worshiping you one game, to telling you you suck the next,

but in other thread you find it embarrassing that fans boo the players?

Quote Originally Posted by Walms
    It wasent the best of home openers*but the most disgraceful moment of the day took place in the 93rd minuet.*

As the whistle blew to end the match, BMO field erupted into boos.*

Sorry,I don't get what are we suppose to do now?
    Not boo them after the game when they play like crap,ok,let's say it's fine with me.What instead of booing we can do?maybe we can go in front of Gate 4 and sit down in front of players bicycles and TTC bus to ask them for answers?
    Last edited by denime; 03-25-2012 at 05:58 AM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't a "Toronto" thing, this is a "the combined score of our first two league games was 6-1" thing. Also it's a "we pay half our players less than $50,000" thing.

Winter has never struck me, for one second, as a guy who understands that he needs to figure out how to get the max out of guys that make $50,000 a year.

Also this is the danger of coaches with "systems" ... if they win, they're geniuses, if they lose, it's the players fault. Winter has a lot guys under the bus here.

I wonder if the team understands what will happen around here if we get pounded in Montreal like we did in Vancouver last year.

Personally, if they beat or tie Santos Laguna Wednesday, I don't actually care if they lose Saturday too.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-25-2012 at 06:49 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do we always have to be compare with Leaf fans? You don't think non-Leafs fans in Toronto don't boo and ask questions why our team sucks? Raptor fans boo their Raptors everytime Raptors play awfully. I know TFC fans in the past boo TFC after awful performance. Problem is that media doesn't ask tough questions maybe due to lack of understanding sports other than hockey.

Also when comes to MLS, I think TFC fans are only fanbase that actually boo their own club after an awful performance.

Blaming fans for lack of professionalism is laughable in the end. The issue is our media still lacks soccer IQ to ask and demand for answers even though it's their job.
    Last edited by TFC07; 03-25-2012 at 06:53 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Why do we always have to be compare with Leaf fans? You don't think non-Leafs fans in Toronto don't boo and ask questions why our team sucks? Raptor fans boo their Raptors everytime Raptors play awfully. I know TFC fans in the past boo TFC after awful performance. Problem is that media doesn't ask tough questions maybe due to lack of understanding sports other than hockey.

Also when comes to MLS, I think TFC fans are only fanbase that actually boo their own club after an awful performance.

Blaming fans for lack of professionalism is laughable in the end. The issue is our media still lacks soccer IQ to ask and demand for answers even though it's their job.
    See any difference?

Last edited by denime; 03-25-2012 at 06:57 AM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a bit of hometown myopia that people are convinced Toronto sports fans are any more forgiving that fans of any other team in North America. Fans of losing teams have a tendency to try and find positives to grasp onto. This isn't unique to Toronto. And Toronto fans still have tipping points, like any other - so you get boos raining down after the final whistle yesterday, you get "Fire Wilson!" chants, you get fans bearing paper bags over their heads... this is all normal.

We are never going to sit cross-legged in front of team buses, because the North American sports culture is not the same. MLS, for better or worse, is a thoroughly American-ized take on the sport of soccer. Instead of tight, organic symbiosis between team and fan, you get silly halftime interviews, studio analysts, and KIA car giveaways. Our sports don't operate on the same economic or cultural principles as soccer leagues in most of the rest of the world. Sit in front of a team bus in Kansas City, or Seattle, or Toronto, and you're more likely to be arrested than given answers - no matter whose team bus it is.

People have become so convinced that there's a sports "sickness" in Toronto, because it sounds clever, and because it's easy to say when all of your local teams aren't currently finding a modicum of success. Like most cities, there will be a "sickness" right up until there suddenly isn't any more.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    See any difference?

Wow, in the Leafs example, suits abound, and you can even see some people looking at their Blackberries.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    See any difference?

This is kind of selective framing, denime. For starters, scarves are given to all TFC season ticket holders, and aren't part of hockey culture. Secondly, juxtaposing a picture of a people seated in the lower bowl at the ACC during what appears to be a break in play with the national anthem being played at BMO Field (during which the PA system tells people to raise their scarves), isnt really fair. Thirdly, BMO Field is rarely filled to that kind of brimming capacity these days.

Which isn't to say it's entirely inaccurate - game night atmosphere at the ACC isn't exactly legendary - but I could just as easily post a picture of the ACC right after the Leafs score a goal, next to a picture of a half empty BMO Field as TFC play Joe Public to a scoreless draw on a Tuesday night.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    This is kind of selective framing, denime. For starters, scarves are given to all TFC season ticket holders, and aren't part of hockey culture. Secondly, juxtaposing a picture of a people seated in the lower bowl at the ACC during what appears to be a break in play with the national anthem being played at BMO Field (during which the PA system tells people to raise their scarves), isnt really fair. Thirdly, BMO Field is rarely filled to that kind of brimming capacity these days.

Which isn't to say it's entirely inaccurate - game night atmosphere at the ACC isn't exactly legendary - but I could just as easily post a picture of the ACC right after the Leafs score a goal, next to a picture of a half empty BMO Field as TFC play Joe Public to a scoreless draw on a Tuesday night.

- Scott
    Agreed. If you took the photo yesterday especially after we were 3-0 down and the crap weather would have made the suits at the leaf games look like hardcore fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This isn't a "Toronto" thing, this is a "the combined score of our first two league games was 6-1" thing. Also it's a "we pay half our players less than $50,000" thing.

Winter has never struck me, for one second, as a guy who understands that he needs to figure out how to get the max out of guys that make $50,000 a year.

Also this is the danger of coaches with "systems" ... if they win, they're geniuses, if they lose, it's the players fault. Winter has a lot guys under the bus here.

I wonder if the team understands what will happen around here if we get pounded in Montreal like we did in Vancouver last year.

Personally, if they beat or tie Santos Laguna Wednesday, I don't actually care if they lose Saturday too.
    The interview with Yallop near halftime was interesting, the way he broke down TFC and talked about what SJ needed to do to hang on and win. And then in the second half they targeted specific defenders on their counters.

It made me wonder if the TFC coaching staff could name two players on any of the teams we face. It made be what you say about the system. TFC have never seemed to me a team that has any idea about the opposition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why isn't De Guzman in playing shape? Isn't it incumbent on a professional to be prepared to play?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

tie santos? we need a solid 2 or 3 nothing win to even have a chance in mexico.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

- Scott
    agree Scott... there are so many other factors involved here...