Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kocic seems more relaxed in the net...Frei is animated but I think it throws him off his game. After that patty cake swat to Magee last game I really am not sure...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frei has historically made great 1v1 saves over the years and that was his strength over Kocic in my opinion.

Last night's MOTM performance from Kocic shows that he's rounded out his overall game and that he's ready for prime time.

A wonderful 'problem' indeed.......

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't advocate splitting duties. If Kocic is in form you play him, league or cup.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad I don't have to make this decision. Got to go with Uncle P here, stay with the current plan for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kocic as a starter...trade Frei for the depth we need

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kocic commands his box better and deals with high balls.I think the boys play better with him.How many times in the last 3 years have we gave up a goal on a corner kick in the last 10 minutes with Frei in nets.Kocic was first star in my books with Frings ,Johnson,Soolsma next

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    Kocic as a starter...trade Frei for the depth we need
    I agree with Kocic being a starter, im torn on the fact of trading frei.I just dont like the thought of him getting traded, hes played 96 game for Toronto, and has saved the franchise numerous amount of times, when they're was no one to believe in, we believed in frei.

And i still have high hopes of him possibly playing for Canada

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A wonderful problem to have indeed.

My opinion... CCL - Kocic, MLS - Frei

Both are very good at what they do and we're lucky as hell to have them BOTH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i also think it depends on the game and the style of play that a team plays.

LA was Kocic whipped in balls, crosses, ect.
    Frei would do better against Santos style from watching there game yesterday

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kocic all the way,no need to rest a goalie 2 games into a season.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta love this board for making logical, tempered rational decisions on players after 1 appearance.
    At least there is no middle ground here. It all or nothing one way or the other lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol boban, exactly right.

Also, I'd like to add, Frei has made saves similar to the one Kocic did yesterday, on many occasions. He has been and remains the best keeper we have had. Kocic may very well be better, but he hasn't played nearly enough to prove it.

I also feel the need to mention that, despite not allowing a goal against LA yesterday, he was scored on on a play that was called offside (debatable to say the least). Had that goal been allowed, I think everyone would be pissed at Kocic. He rushed out and got beaten on that play, when another defender was in the midst of cutting off the LA player's angle, in effect (at least in my opinion) mitigating the scoring opportunity.

Okay, so final opinion for me: As has already been suggested, I propose that Frei play against Seattle and the subsequent MLS games, while Kocic focus entirely on the games against Santos. I do agree that his presence in the box is better, and I think we'll need that against them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go with the one who inspires the most faith/confidence from the backline. I'm going to assume that's Kocic. The box FEELS more secure when he's in there. Defenders know if a ball is coming in and he can get to it it'll be grabbed or knocked away. With Frei sometimes they have to worry about whats going on behind them or weird bounces or half attempts at clearing that don't really do much. I love Frei, but at this point in time, I say sell high. In a capped league, why have a $150 000 keeper playing spot duty. Move him for a backup keeper and allocation (to bring in a defender). And it's not just the one game, it was most of last season as well. Kocic just has better command of the area, no ifs ands or buts about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    Gotta love this board for making logical, tempered rational decisions on players after 1 appearance.
    At least there is no middle ground here. It all or nothing one way or the other lol

I do have to say, your comment is right on target/ridiculously off base.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    gotta love this board for making logical, tempered rational decisions on players since the middle of last season..

or are we hitting the reset button on the entire team because the new seasons started and they each played one game of a two game semi-final? this isn't one appearance we're discussing, frei's made 81, milos has made 10 including stepping up for one of our star players last season when he went down injured winning save of the week twice in the process. this discussion sprung up during the CCL game against dallas, and at the beginning of the when kocic performed well when he was taking over for frei. it's just being discussed more intensely now.

tell me, what's the middle ground you suggest we havent pointed out here? "theyre both good! play them both in net at the same time"? maybe start one for one game, start the other for the next? it's been suggested and it's a fine, valid, point. however, who starts for the "big" games? the next CCL game? must win games?

were you planning on discussing what was posted in the thread or were you just here to divide the posts into extremes and made a snide remark?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

competitive teams, teams that are looking to be champions have to be able to make hard decisions and pull the trigger. In toronto we get to sentimentally attached to our athletes and it distorts our overall evaluation of the situation. No one player is bigger than Tfc or more important when it comes to the overall goal, and that goal is to win.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both of these guys have some areas that they could improve on.
    I've always been a fan of Frei.
    But Kocic really showed some flash last season, and again against LA.
    He's made some huge key saves, and showed great athleticism.
    Perhaps it's still too early to say for sure who the #1 is,
    But I put Kocic in the lead for the time being.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen Frei make similar saves to the ones Kocic made on Wednesday... I'm gonna wait a few weeks before I make my decision on this... for now. Kocic in CCL and Frei in MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am still not sold on kocic,If he can continue a whole season then maybe ill think different! Frei for me is still number one.Kocic is only started to show himself only when the team started playing well from second half of last season to now.Put kocic infront of nick garcia and all those shit defenders and shit teams that we had in the past and then we would see what kocic is made of! Sorry guys just my opinion!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you look at it one way, we're really lucky to have the choice. Both a good keepers, but I'd have to say Kocic. Good positioning and not afraid to come and get the ball

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the one mistake against LA in the first leg is being blown up out of proportions. Kocic has been great whenever he plays but I still feel significantly more confident with Frei in goal. As much as we talk about how Kocic is strong playing balls that are crossed in Frei is no slouch either, he is excellent at claiming balls being whipped in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question is why is there a ticket highlighting Kocic but not one with Frei in this years season tickets??

Hmmmm, makes you wonder.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put whoever is in form at the moment.

Right now that seems to be Kocic.

If his performace is not up to par against Seattle tonight, it will be Frei next game.
    We're going to have a lot of games this season. There's no reason why both of them shouldn't be used. (err... not at the same time though...)

I must say, this is quite an enjoyable predicament. It's much better than "Who is going to be the least of a liability at the back?" we were asking last season.
    Last edited by A.J; 03-17-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd keep Kocic in their, trade Frei if the right opportunity presents itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Kocic solidified his case to start today.

He's not the shot-stopper Frei is, but he he's remarkably consistent. He makes it pretty clear what he's capable of on a weekly basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tonnes of Kocic love here. I'm still going with Frei. Kocic is a quality keeper but I couldn't help but think to myself that maybe just maybe Frei could've stopped one of Estrada's goals Saturday. I think Frei goes at the ball with his hands instead of his feet on the first goal.

I don't get that thought about Kocic when Frei is in net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, Stouffville. I think that Frei would have saved at least one of the goals we conceded against Seattle. He has always been great on those one-timer shots. Usually he'll get a leg out or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like them both, but at the moment, Kocic seems like our best man. Frei uses more theatrics on his saves. At times it looks like he exaggerates, so the saves appears to be more spectacular. Like I said, Frei is also a fine MLS keeper, and he has saved our bacon on many occasions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see the time split since either is capable of carrying this team. Frei is a higher profile player and we should be able to get more for him than Kocic (and Kocic is a smaller hit to the salary cap). Unfortunately if we don't play Frei then he's not going to look as valuable, but this is all based on the assumption that Winter is shopping him around. Either way we've seen each keeper perform one complete boondoggle in net... Frei had the tip to Magee and Kocic rolled around on the plastic pitch in Seattle. Both have displayed errors in the few minutes they've played and both made big saves. I don't think superior form can be established at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andi Petrillo ‏ @andipHNIC TFC keeper Stefan Frei off to hospital after leg injury in practice today. Not looking good