Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    If you think Kocic coming up big on 3 breakaways and a blown offside call means Winter got his tactics right, well... *shrug*
    Just remember that some of the breakaways throughout the game, including at least one of the big saves, were due to other blown offside (non-) calls.

Note that I also wasn't happy with the very high defensive line, and also with big gaps in coverage as different LA players overlapped, which made it even more dangerous. Also worried about some of the other tactics & decisions -- i.e., I think that Silva should have come on right when Plata came off. Dunfield could then have been a replacement for JDG when he came off.

I think that they need to do a better job, somehow, of maintaining possession, to reduce the amount of pressure on the defense.

Just important to consider the full picture on the offside calls though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you think Kocic coming up big on 3 breakaways and a blown offside call means Winter got his tactics right, well... *shrug*

I didn't want to say much on this (to pee on everyone's cornflakes) but I also don't agree Winter got his tactics right.

If LA strikers were on their game and buried even one of the many missed chances, we would not have won that game. Their lack of form is not a result of Winter's tactical abilities.

Where Winter deserves credit is that our team was prepared. Their heads were in it and they capitalized. Winter's lack of tactical awareness is still showing through though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter put in Kocic who is capable (more so I think the Frei) in the one on one breakaways.

His high line meant he had more bodies forward when chances came, and forced LA players to run.

The offside trap has several effects.

One it forces them to time runs, which they were doing badly, two when they time the run badly it's a free kick giving us back the ball, and killing momentum for LA.

If you play back and they bring up numbers you are defending with people back, risking corners, shots, failed possession.

So Winter took a risk. He looked at the line up, look at who he had on, and said lets try this. And it worked.

Had it not Winter has shown he can change the formation, change his tactics.

It looked like Plata took a knock at some point and was hurting and he came out... Lambe hasn't impressed, and we were up by a goal, so he stuck in someone to help the midfield out. Then he brought in Silva who helped bring back the attack and aided in the second goal.

Most of the issues in the back have come from Harden, and lack of pace. Harden isn't Winters first choice but with the Ecudorian being unable to deal, and Cann, and Williams still recovering we don't have a second strong center back. (though we may not have one at all)...

I'd love to get Wynne back in that Center back roll... with his hand taped to his sides though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not yet in Winter's corner. For all the reasons others have said.

But, just as I disliked the positive talk about Winter after some of the bad losses last year, he deserves serious credit for this. Those are his players, beating the league's best in big games.

LA are better than us. We never trailed.

Results are the only thing that matter.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post

I'd love to get Wynne back in that Center back roll... with his hand taped to his sides though.
    it would be an interesting experiment with Wynne playing sweeper role in middle of 3 CBs, using his pace to clean up

though he's making like 300k per year now lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am not yet in Winter's corner. For all the reasons others have said.

But, just as I disliked the positive talk about Winter after some of the bad losses last year, he deserves serious credit for this. Those are his players, beating the league's best in big games.

LA are better than us. We never trailed.

Results are the only thing that matter.
    I agree with this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Just remember that some of the breakaways throughout the game, including at least one of the big saves, were due to other blown offside (non-) calls.

Note that I also wasn't happy with the very high defensive line, and also with big gaps in coverage as different LA players overlapped, which made it even more dangerous. Also worried about some of the other tactics & decisions -- i.e., I think that Silva should have come on right when Plata came off. Dunfield could then have been a replacement for JDG when he came off.

I think that they need to do a better job, somehow, of maintaining possession, to reduce the amount of pressure on the defense.

Just important to consider the full picture on the offside calls though.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...esurrect-3-6-1

MLS analysis of Winter's tactics
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep the line high, force them to play kick and run, and counter attack quickly. Run a tired team into the ground and make sure you take the chances you get. Also, not much has been mentioned about the hack job we did to their star players. How Eckersley managed to stay on the field is beyond me!

It was dangerous, gave my heart a good go. We needed some luck and good goal tending, but so does every successful team. I'll give Winter a lot of credit for these last two games.

Hopefully we keep it up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and did anybody else EXPECT us to score at least 2 goals? What a strange feeling watching the reds these days.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To "The Macarena"

47 thousand crazy fans in Rogers Centre
    An empty can of Beer that got thrown at David Beckha’
    Not resting all their players cost the Galaxy the Game-a
    Hey, Bruce Arena!
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    To "The Macarena"

47 thousand crazy fans in Rogers Centre
    An empty can of Beer that got thrown at David Beckha’
    Not resting all their players cost the Galaxy the Game-a
    Hey, Bruce Arena!
    I actually love this!

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    I actually love this!
    Thank you.

I accidentally heard The Macararena earlier today, and couldn't get it out of my head.

In some ways, it's a shame that LA won't be back this year...it would have been great to sing it to them.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Winter put in Kocic who is capable (more so I think the Frei) in the one on one breakaways.

His high line meant he had more bodies forward when chances came, and forced LA players to run.

The offside trap has several effects.

One it forces them to time runs, which they were doing badly, two when they time the run badly it's a free kick giving us back the ball, and killing momentum for LA.

If you play back and they bring up numbers you are defending with people back, risking corners, shots, failed possession.

So Winter took a risk. He looked at the line up, look at who he had on, and said lets try this. And it worked.

Had it not Winter has shown he can change the formation, change his tactics.

It looked like Plata took a knock at some point and was hurting and he came out... Lambe hasn't impressed, and we were up by a goal, so he stuck in someone to help the midfield out. Then he brought in Silva who helped bring back the attack and aided in the second goal.

Most of the issues in the back have come from Harden, and lack of pace. Harden isn't Winters first choice but with the Ecudorian being unable to deal, and Cann, and Williams still recovering we don't have a second strong center back. (though we may not have one at all)...

I mostly agree. The offisde trap wasn't performed to perfection (leading to a few nailbiting moments), but it was a good idea, and led to Los Angeles essentially "punching themselves out". I will say it might have gone a bit better, if our guys were more concerned with playing to the whistle than they were sticking their arms up in the air and looking around for a whistle every single time.

When you need to beat a team like LA in their building, you need to take some risks.

I also liked that he brought in Dunfield to try and stiffen the midfield when we were up 1-0, and then immediately brought in an attacking threat when they equalized.

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 03-16-2012 at 08:29 PM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Keep the line high, force them to play kick and run, and counter attack quickly. Run a tired team into the ground and make sure you take the chances you get. Also, not much has been mentioned about the hack job we did to their star players. How Eckersley managed to stay on the field is beyond me!

It was dangerous, gave my heart a good go. We needed some luck and good goal tending, but so does every successful team. I'll give Winter a lot of credit for these last two games.

Hopefully we keep it up.
    There was more than one occasion after his yellow, that I was sure Ecks had gotten his second card. The guy was a wrecking ball out there. He needs to be more careful.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alluded to at the end of this article is TFC 'rounding into shape'. Turns out Winter has done the right thing in having them play so few pre-season games. They seem to have trained well, the crowd helped them out at the Dome, and should be in as good form as they can be for these next two games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    There was more than one occasion after his yellow, that I was sure Ecks had gotten his second card. The guy was a wrecking ball out there. He needs to be more careful.

- Scott
    Ya, I too thought that he was doomed to not finish the match. He was damned luck (or should I say "we" were damned lucky?)!!!