Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl
    As for their goal - that was all Aceval's fault - way too slow back there - no blame on Harden from me.
    For all the passes, plays and crosses he broke up last night (as well as making calm forward plays with the ball after doing so), I can forgive him for giving up that one.

I thought he was pretty strong in his ball winning and disruption of the LA attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Epic result! A great team performance. I got a chuckle reading some of the posts here earlier on in the game..referencing poor coaching and strategy etc...We couldn't have asked for more.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*STORY TIME*
    i know how many of you have grown to like my stories, but this one is probably going to only appeal to the people who're more into darker comedy.

yesterday, i decided that instead of heading down to joes we were going to have a viewing party at my buddies house who im currently house sitting for (his family goes away every year on a cruise the week after march break, we dub it "march break II" and i always spend the money his folks leave me on alcohol). we did this because a lot of the people i went to the first leg with didnt wanna make the trek downtown with me, everyone with the exception of girlfriend _wowza (i've heard people called wife + (boardname) = ms. (boardname) so im going to coin this for the moment) lives in scarborough.

we'd even invited people who weren't that into TFC to watch the game after convincing my friend to abandon her birthday plans at a pub, when some of her friends found out they didnt have the game on there, and switch it to house i was house sitting. some were were mostly swayed by the fact that they had a legit interest in TFC, beckham and the fact that id spent the $200 his folks left for me as an invitation to an open bar.. that and he has a trampoline.

anywho, we were all watching the game, about 20 people in total in this guys basement. one of my good friends (mike) has this girl (kate) there that he's trying to seal the deal with, they were even both crashing there because they had class the next day and both go to UTSC (a 5 walk from his house). so liquor + both staying overnight = well.. you get the picture. mikes a TFC fan, but she was with the birthday party, so a partial plus was to get kate down to the house and give them some time together. theyd been awkwardly flirting for awhile as awkward people do and things were going well..

until soolsma scored..

i'd earlier been explaining the rules of aggregate to a few people (kate included), stressing that with a tie, we'd at least need 2 goals or be eliminated. so when soolsma scored, even the people who didnt watch TFC, went justifiably apeshit, then kate fell backwards into her seat. i thought she was too drunk to stand up so quick.. until i saw blood. she was bleeding, like.. really.. really.. fucking bleeding. mike was next to her repeatedly asking "are you ok? what happened? are you ok?" nothing kills a goal boner like watching a man crouch next to a girl whose leaking blood outt've her mouth like a sieve. we were all sitting there, half in joy, half in shock, i thought she bit her fucking tongue off or was having stigmata. a bunch of people from her friends birthday crowded around her asking if she was ok, before my brother (kurt) took a step back, pointed at the floor, semi-smiled, still in shock, said "dude, did you knock her fucking tooth out!?"

sure enough he was pointing to the floor at her tooth.

when soolsma scored they were sitting next to one another, she was in the process of taking a sip of beer and we'd all jumped out of our seats and screamed, mike, like most of us there, threw their arms up. his arm made contact with her bottle and which made contact with her teeth, which knocked her front tooth straight out of her head.

they went to emerge, a few people left, 80% of us kept watching the game. the funny part about this is that it was an exact replica of a similar situation that happened to mike on st. paddy's day 4 years ago with another girl he'd just started dating.

i spent the last half of the game trying to clean blood outt've a couch while my brother, and most of the people who went to the CCL game with me making up chants about mike. my favourites:

"naaah, naaah, nah nah nah! mike will knock your teeth out!"
    "(when the moon hits your eye): when you're hit in the mouth at our friend joshes house that's our-michael! when the blood leaves your head and you'll wish that youre that's our-michael!"
    " he's big, he's red! he'll punch you in the head! michael nord! michael nord!"

TLDR: i need to get blood outt've a couch. how do?

Last edited by __wowza; 03-15-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are some pretty awesome songs you guys came up with. I especially like the second one.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pure gold!

it ain't a party until beer and/or blood is spilled

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Landycakes, before last night's game: “We’ve become accustomed to winning. It’s become a habit around here. The reality is now, we’ve played two games and we haven’t won. That didn’t happen to us last year.”
    Methinks time for Landycakes to get a new habit..

EAT IT LANDY!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when are the player coming back to toronto we need to meet them at the airport or bmo
    Last edited by nascarguy; 03-15-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    In Game 1, Donovan was really bothered up and down the field by Morgan. Donovan was retaliating by cheap-shotting Morgan behind the play.

Any of that happen this time?
    landycake dropped deeper back around middle this time and opted beckham to run at morgan

he still pranced like a girl and goes down like a... well... you know
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that story was awesome wowza.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The chalkboard stuff is not up yet on mlssoccer for the game last night. I'll be interested to see Beckham's heatmap and compare it to the first game. Beckham was all over the midfield in the first game, I think we did a better job of shutting down his game last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    when are the player coming back to toronto we need to meet them at the airport or bmo
    we should show up at the airport with flares and smoke bombs, hahahah

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Umm... the players won't be here until after the weekend.

Likely going from LA to Seattle.

Though imagine if they had to go LA to Toronto to Seattle. LOL

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Wowza story has me ROTFLMAO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Umm... the players won't be here until after the weekend.

Likely going from LA to Seattle.

Though imagine if they had to go LA to Toronto to Seattle. LOL
    they will be here most likely sunday

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    That Wowza story has me ROTFLMAO!
    i find that, for some reason, all of my TFC stories have come during cup play. the montreal miracle, the whitecaps VC game last year, now this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    i find that, for some reason, all of my TFC stories have come during cup play. the montreal miracle, the whitecaps VC game last year, now this.
    And I still think the best home game ever at BMO was the Cruz Azul game a few summers ago... that night that second half was euphoric.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    I'll fix that....

Too bad Dero wasn't there......

Great result and f all these pro LA stories. We beat their high priced asses!

The high line worried me last night. We need more speed to play like that. Could have been punished a few times.

Not confident in dunfield. Guy doesn't even know how many shirts to wear!
    The Dunfield thing was the Ref being an ass. It wasnt 2 shirts that was the problem, it was the red of the undershir had arms that didn't match the red of the jersey. By FIFA rules it has to be exact or the player can be asked to leave the field.

The original Pink jerseys (year 2?) couldn't be worn because they only made them short sleeve and adidas did not make a pink undershirt (at least that is what adidas told me).

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For the match on the 28th.

As per TFC

1) Match will be at BMO
    2) Tickets go on sale on the 22nd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    TLDR: i need to get blood outt've a couch. how do?

If you need to get blood out of something, use Oxyclean. Ammonia also works but could ruin the material.

Source: Don't ask...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, the odds on TFC winning last night? 5.5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    If you need to get blood out of something, use Oxyclean. Ammonia also works but could ruin the material.

Source: Don't ask...
    much appreciated, ill pick a bottle up. it'll make my whites whiter and my brights brighter .

also, who can i go to about getting scarfs printed up? im pretty sure everyone in attendance will want to commemorate the event with one've these bad boys:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    The Dunfield thing was the Ref being an ass. It wasnt 2 shirts that was the problem, it was the red of the undershir had arms that didn't match the red of the jersey. By FIFA rules it has to be exact or the player can be asked to leave the field.

The original Pink jerseys (year 2?) couldn't be worn because they only made them short sleeve and adidas did not make a pink undershirt (at least that is what adidas told me).

Iam glad thats history.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will point out that it's now 3 games where Frings has been used on the backline, in fact as the deepest player on the pitch for the most part.

I mentioned before the season that it looked like it was going to be necessary to put Frings back there to shore up the backline and that seems to be the case. No complaints. It's working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ One thing we've seen in MLS so far is that there are not a lot of good central defenders. Look what's happened to LA when they lose a standout one. There are only a handful of those. TFC's problem is a league-wide problem. I think Frings will push back up when we're not in must win games and against lesser teams. But you were right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roogsy it is barely working, barely not fully.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    you were right.
    i've never seen a roogsy post followed up with this response..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    Best part? We're not even an MLS representative.
    technically there aren't league representatives. just federation representatives (US spots could go to USL/NASL teams via US Open Cup)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I am a lesser known poster but the fringes in the backline thing, I was saying that back in septemeber when we were still playing in last season......but any whoooo!!! Iam glad its catching on.

ALL FOR ONE!

and Red Rat......it barely works at this point because the two defenders outside of him are slow, if they were faster it would be like fort knox back there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two guys in the elevator at my place of work about 10 minutes ago.
    First Guy - "I heard the soccer team made the play-offs"
    Second Guy - "Already! I thought the season had just started"

Well, at least they're starting to talk about us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't had a chance to post yet.. slept in till 11 then I've been reading all the stories and tweets on this match.

I find a lot of people underestimated TFC because they haven't really followed TFC's changes over the past 8 months. They just know the reputation of the team over the first 4.5 seasons. I guess you could say TFC is "quietly" rising.

Everyone looks at LA's lineup on paper and jizzes, but I have to say they aren't the most entertaining team in the league. They have game breakers in the lineup, some very talented players, but overall they play a pretty boring predictable style. Lump balls up field over the defense and hope Donovan and Keane can run past the defenders. All of this goes through Beckham. If they didn't have Beckham, or if he fails (as Optastats shows he did over these two games), then the strategy wouldn't work at all. RSL and TFC did a much better job at keeping the ball on the ground, mixing things up a bit, and getting offense from different sources than just the dude up top.

With that in mind, it's interesting to see Koevermans still hasn't come on yet but we've done OK without his contribution.

I still think it's pretty amazing considering TFC's historical suckage on the road to get this win in this massively important match. Didn't LA go undefeated last year at home in league play? And both Donovan and Keane had been playing in the EPL so no excuses for them in terms of being sharp.

Scoring first in both games was also a very strong point for TFC. This was a team going out and making a statement first.

I'm proud of this team! one of the best four teams in CONCACAF!!!