Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great result.

If this is what TFC can do to the league champions, the team can do well against average MLS sides.

Winter took some big risks and they paid off. It was very risky playing a high line, and TFC got smoked for an own-goal because of it, but it meant that offensively there was a lot less ground to cover and the team did not tire like in the Rogers Centre match. Putting in Soolsma and saving Silva to the end also looked risky, but it paid off big time.

Starting Kocic was the right thing to do, given the type of game that LA plays.

Harden actually had a very good game, except for the own goal. He's turned into a solid MLS grinder. Aceval showed he was a very good pick-up. Johnson has to be one of the best trades ever by the current management. Frings was massive. JDG showed some rust, due to this being his first match of the season, but he helped solidify the midfield against a very strong LA midfield.

It was interesting seeing Beckham being forced into defensive plays (not his strong point) which shows how potent our offense really is.

Some great things:

• TFC can play with the best MLS sides and get a result!
    • TFC can now win on the road, even in very big games
    • The character of the squad is strong
    • The team is no longer crap

Those pre-season power rankings may well be proven wrong. TFC looks to be on the right track. I had said that Winter could very well be our Jason Kreis, and it's looking more and more like that is a possibility. We'll know more for sure by the middle of this season.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Galaxatives in disbelief

CARSON, Calif. – Entering 2012, the LA Galaxy had made the CONCACAF Champions League a priority. The club had done well to win important games in the group stage last autumn, and seemed poised for a deep run in the knockout rounds.

All of that ended abruptly on Wednesday at the hands of Toronto FC. The Canadian club beat the Galaxy 2-1 at Home Depot Center and 4-3 on aggregate.

“This is kind of a bit of disbelief. I thought we came in with the right attitude, and we started the game well, and we kind of had them on the back foot,” Galaxy midfielder Mike Magee said. “Then we allowed two lousy goals and we didn’t finish any of our many chances, so it’s frustrating.”

Losing at this stage in this manner was difficult for the players to accept.

“A lot of emotions right now. Obviously it's disappointing to be knocked out of a competition that we expected to go further in,” Galaxy midfielder David Beckham said. “Tonight's a disappointing night because we didn't expect to lose the game, we didn't think we were going to lose the game, we didn't want to lose the game, so we're disappointed.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Johnson has to be one of the best trades ever by the current management.
    And he loves all the Jamaican restaurants in Toronto!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

except for the Real Jerk that was forced to shut down so they can put up a condo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you get when you cross 3 Mexicans and 1 Canadian?

CCL Semi Finals Baby!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just watched the Santos Laguna game vs Seatlle. Wow, these guys will be tough...

...but I have faith in our boys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna be a low productivity day for me but that's ok. Lots to think about coming out of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two words....
    PARTY ROCK!
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not sure if this was mentioned, but i just read a toronto star article that mentioned the reason behind the crowd yesterday was because of some agreement that no 'school night' games can have attendance over 7,500 or something.

I don't know how the MLS or CONCACAF could even allow something so mickeymouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
    Johnson must be in the running for the CCL golden boot, no?
    Yup. Barabosa from Herediano is at 6, and there are a bunch of others at 5 with Johnson, including Peralta and Suarez from Santos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The limited ticket sales on a school night is because of parking issues on campus.

Home Depot center is on school grounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here that is worth calling out.

We have started the season with more or less a settled line up. Our first two games where a home draw and an away win against the MLS champs.

Huge kudos to the management for that. This is the first time in our short history we have started the season under such circumstances.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    That save on Keane was UN-FRIGGIN-BELIEVABLE...You could see the look on Keane's face that he thought he'd scored...EPIC!!
    I can't believe Keane didn't score that. I've seen him put those away many times with ease for Ireland and his various clubs... Surely a case it now made for Kocic to be regularly no. 1 keeper.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's pissing me off how all of the article I'm reading are about how stunned the Galaxy are, how they underestimated us, or whatever.

How about giving us some fucking credit for knocking them off? This is a much improved team.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friggin brilliant! So proud of our boys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here that is worth calling out.

We have started the season with more or less a settled line up. Our first two games where a home draw and an away win against the MLS champs.

Huge kudos to the management for that. This is the first time in our short history we have started the season under such circumstances.
    Brian Burke and Bryan Colangelo should be made to kiss Mariner's ass.

Hey idiots! ... this is how you do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    not sure if this was mentioned, but i just read a toronto star article that mentioned the reason behind the crowd yesterday was because of some agreement that no 'school night' games can have attendance over 7,500 or something.

I don't know how the MLS or CONCACAF could even allow something so mickeymouse.
    Been in place ever since HDC was built. Mattered less in the past when there were less mid week games/fewer competitions.

They can rarely get an exception to go over 7500 but wasn't granted this time. IMO LAG has to really start thinking about a workaround on this in the future. I know there was some talk of moving the game to the Coliseum but that would kill the atmosphere in the opposite direction - too large.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 03-15-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that is was such a lame 7500 crowd last night made Bruce Arena's comments dissing the Rogers Centre ring so hollow. Arena is an example of a bad politician. He could have kept his comments regarding last Wednesday night at the Rogers Centre positive but he chose to bitch and whine... then a world class player like Beckham has to play in front of 7 500 fans in CONCACAF knockout match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last night's win makes my memory of last Wednesday even sweeter. That Donovan goal really took the shine off a special night, but now, Mar 7, 2012 can be returned to all of it's glory, forever and ever.

Also, I like that they haven't posted last night attendance anywhere. I bet it wasn't 5,000. You could buy as many tickets as you wanted, in any section, on gameday. I've heard a lot about the 7,500 but honestly, they couldn't find 5,000 who wanted to go. If anyone finds out last night's attendance, I'd be interested!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh....I am feeling the effects of last night.

Celebration drinks after the game, I should not be at work this morning.

That was a great game. It might be my only post today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    It's pissing me off how all of the article I'm reading are about how stunned the Galaxy are, how they underestimated us, or whatever.

How about giving us some fucking credit for knocking them off? This is a much improved team.

- Scott
    Doesn't surprise me. We are considered the whipping boys of the MLS (for pretty valid reasons). Most people would expect the Galaxy to trounce us.

We are much improved, but it will take time and a few more results for peoples attitudes to change. Personally, I hope folks underestimate us for a long time to come.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Ugh....I am feeling the effects of last night.

Celebration drinks after the game, I should not be at work this morning.

That was a great game. It might be my only post today.
    I'll fix that....

Too bad Dero wasn't there......

Great result and f all these pro LA stories. We beat their high priced asses!

The high line worried me last night. We need more speed to play like that. Could have been punished a few times.

Not confident in dunfield. Guy doesn't even know how many shirts to wear!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more thing...I am thoroughly enjoying outdoing the Impact's previous "best results for a Canadian team".

Suck on that Limp-Act.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No matter what happens in the tourney from here on out, this has been quite a ride. Great way to start a new soccer season.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heart of Stone View Post
    Brian Burke and Bryan Colangelo should be made to kiss Mariner's ass.

Hey idiots! ... this is how you do it.
    A little early for that, don't you think? Remember Sept/Oct in Leaf-land?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
    except for the Real Jerk that was forced to shut down so they can put up a condo
    it's still open - and it wasn't to close for a condo - it was being replaced by a Irish pub owned by a fellow TFC supporter

back to last night ......

I thought Morgan was fantastic last night. I like him and Plata (as well as Johnson) linking up on that left-hand side.

As for their goal - that was all Aceval's fault - way too slow back there - no blame on Harden from me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Game 1, Donovan was really bothered up and down the field by Morgan. Donovan was retaliating by cheap-shotting Morgan behind the play.

Any of that happen this time?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 117 View Post
    Last night's win makes my memory of last Wednesday even sweeter. That Donovan goal really took the shine off a special night, but now, Mar 7, 2012 can be returned to all of it's glory, forever and ever.

Also, I like that they haven't posted last night attendance anywhere. I bet it wasn't 5,000. You could buy as many tickets as you wanted, in any section, on gameday. I've heard a lot about the 7,500 but honestly, they couldn't find 5,000 who wanted to go. If anyone finds out last night's attendance, I'd be interested!
    EXACTLY! Everyone keeps mentioning the 7,500 attendance cap, but it didn't matter one bit! Yesterday you could still buy EIGHT SEATS TOGETHER in your choice of 5 different sections! They could not sell anywhere close to 7500 seats. It was hard to estimate based on the broadcast, because people were really spread around, and you could only see parts of the stadium.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    it's still open - and it wasn't to close for a condo - it was being replaced by a Irish pub owned by a fellow TFC supporter

back to last night ......

I thought Morgan was fantastic last night. I like him and Plata (as well as Johnson) linking up on that left-hand side.

As for their goal - that was all Aceval's fault - way too slow back there - no blame on Harden from me.
    yes Aceval partly to blame, as is the high line, but Donovan is a lot faster than the majority of defenders. He probably would have beaten anyone there...
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts