Page 6 of 89 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Sky

1) It depends on the nature of those players contracts if we can 'buy them out' (guaranteed vs non-guaranteed contracts)
    2) Roberts isn't in the top-20 earners (and is from academy) and therefore his salary doesn't cap towards the cap
    3) There has been no official report on frei going out on season-ending injury status, but i'm certain it's been done.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC the 'guaranteed' issue is only around DP's, I beleive we can always buy out current player contracts that are under regular MLS cap contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats to him.

http://youtu.be/ory5lTLAdLI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    Anyone know if Frei has been put on season ending injury?

If he has and this kid is only in at the $35k min, that leaves about $100k of cap space available.

If we can buy out Harden and Dunfield (we pay them out of pocket) we will have enough to get a couple of really good defenders.
    Seriously?!?! I feel like I keep repeating the same thing. Frei going on IR does NOTHING for cap room.

NOTHING

NOTHING

I've posted the actual rules 3-4 times so I'm not doing it again. Just google "mls roster rules 2012".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    Seriously?!?! I feel like I keep repeating the same thing. Frei going on IR does NOTHING for cap room.

NOTHING

NOTHING

I've posted the actual rules 3-4 times so I'm not doing it again. Just google "mls roster rules 2012".
    While I interpret the rules in the same way as you do, it is actually rather vague. So, it is possible that being responsible for the players contract may have no cap implication at all, but just need to be paid out of cash on hand from the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster_TFC View Post
    While I interpret the rules in the same way as you do, it is actually rather vague. So, it is possible that being responsible for the players contract may have no cap implication at all, but just need to be paid out of cash on hand from the team.
    (K)SEASON-ENDING INJURY REPLACEMENTS (Season Ending Injury List)
    A team with a player lost to a season-ending injury can place the player on the Season Ending Injury List and replace that player on its roster, while remaining responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary. A player can be placed on the season-ending injury list once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the team has budget space). International player limits still apply at the time a season-ending replacement is made (with the player being replaced not counting against those limits).
    (L) SHORT-TERM INJURY REPLACEMENTS (Disabled List)
    A player who has a short-term injury can be placed on the Disabled List once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the team has budget space). The team will remain responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary on the salary budget. Note: the injured player will have to sit out a minimum of six MLS League matches before he can rejoin the team’s roster.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    (K)SEASON-ENDING INJURY REPLACEMENTS (Season Ending Injury List)
    A team with a player lost to a season-ending injury can place the player on the Season Ending Injury List and replace that player on its roster, while remaining responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary. A player can be placed on the season-ending injury list once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the team has budget space). International player limits still apply at the time a season-ending replacement is made (with the player being replaced not counting against those limits).
    (L) SHORT-TERM INJURY REPLACEMENTS (Disabled List)
    A player who has a short-term injury can be placed on the Disabled List once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the team has budget space). The team will remain responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary on the salary budget. Note: the injured player will have to sit out a minimum of six MLS League matches before he can rejoin the team’s roster.
    First off, I had read those rules, but I can appreciate where you are coming from.

See, I had interpreted that as in 'they freed up that space and can now use it somewhere else'

The reason I say this is because you have to sign a player BEFORE you can put the player on SEI. Why would that be the case if it didn't affect cap space?

Anyone have contacts with MLS to clear this up?
    Last edited by Abou Sky; 04-10-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NHL Long Term Injury Cap rules are much clearer:
    If a player has a legitimate long-term injury, his cap hit is still counted; however, the team is permitted to replace him with one or more players whose combined salary is equal to (or less than) that of the injured player, even if the additional players would put the team over the salary cap. If the team's cap room is larger than the injured player's cap hit, they may take on as much as their cap room; however, the injured player may not return to play until the team is again compliant with the original cap.

The MLS rules are not as clear but their wording can be interpreted to mean something similar, it is the most logical way to handle LIR. Though I could understand if the slary stays on the books because an MLS team doesn't have the mechanism of freeing cap space to accomodate return of injured player (at any point in the season) like an NHL team does through sending a player to the minors.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    The NHL Long Term Injury Cap rules are much clearer:
    If a player has a legitimate long-term injury, his cap hit is still counted; however, the team is permitted to replace him with one or more players whose combined salary is equal to (or less than) that of the injured player, even if the additional players would put the team over the salary cap. If the team's cap room is larger than the injured player's cap hit, they may take on as much as their cap room; however, the injured player may not return to play until the team is again compliant with the original cap.

The MLS rules are not as clear but their wording can be interpreted to mean something similar, it is the most logical way to handle LIR. Though I could understand if the slary stays on the books because an MLS team doesn't have the mechanism of freeing cap space to accomodate return of injured player (at any point in the season) like an NHL team does through sending a player to the minors.
    As I understand it the academy is an entity unto itself and they could have Frei play there as MLS doesn't own the contracts on those guys?

Not sure Frei would appreciate it but it wouldn't be long.

They could also send him out on loan couldn't they?

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Trade Winds Swirlin'

http://m.torontosun.com/2012/04/11/t...ds-are-swirlin

Seems TFC are having "Daily talks with clubs around the league", and trading frei would make sence with his likelyhood of playing in Europe growing every year, time to cash in?.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Horrible "article" from Kurt Larson. Also, Frei is not going to be traded while he is injured.
    After seeing Joao Plata’s poor form to start the season, including the Ecuadorian in a trade might be wise before his prominence fades.
    Is he actually serious?

This reads like Larson ran into Earl Cochrane on the street and was talking TFC with him, Earl isn't even the man to talk to about these issues. About Vukovic, Thomas Rongen offered a good explanation to John Molinaro already.

Most accurate assesment here is that TFC will have to look to the injured players returning for defensive help, a trade at this point seems tough to pull off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its in todays news thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny enough, I read the article and it has the picture of the exact player we should be trading for: Paulo Nagamura.

Club needs a defensive mid badly and one that can play the ball. He can do both... and he's not getting any playing time for sporting KC. I don't want to pick scapegoats but frankly JDG and Dunfield are the weakest links on this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Funny enough, I read the article and it has the picture of the exact player we should be trading for: Paulo Nagamura.

Club needs a defensive mid badly and one that can play the ball. He can do both... and he's not getting any playing time for sporting KC. I don't want to pick scapegoats but frankly JDG and Dunfield are the weakest links on this team.
    some guy named Torsten Frings isn't a good enough ball-moving DM for you?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Nagamura is an ex-TFC player who was traded by Mo because he refused to live in Canada.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdc 77 View Post
    Horrible "article" from Kurt Larson. Also, Frei is not going to be traded while he is injured.

Is he actually serious?

This reads like Larson ran into Earl Cochrane on the street and was talking TFC with him, Earl isn't even the man to talk to about these issues. About Vukovic, Thomas Rongen offered a good explanation to John Molinaro already.

Most accurate assesment here is that TFC will have to look to the injured players returning for defensive help, a trade at this point seems tough to pull off.
    Say what you want about Larson, but in reality, he is the best reporter on the TFC beat. He's knowledgeable about the game and has something about TFC or MLS in the paper or in his blog everyday.

While trading Plata may seem ridiculous, fact of the matter is that TFC doesn't have a lot of commodities to trade in order to help their defense. Frei was one asset until he got hurt. And it's not like other teams are clamoring for the likes of Dunfield or Aceval or Harden or Stinson or Cordon to help TFC get a defender.

The adage is if you want to get something good, you have to give up something good... well usually.

So I don't expect to see any trades happen in the meantime.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCBarrie View Post
    Not while he is playing CB he's not.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I was a bit harsh on Larson (early morning, still grumpy) but that was not a well written or researched article. Sometimes I think Larson is the best reporter on the TFC beat simply because he is the most active.

Anyways, I understand to get soemthing you need to give up something but moving Plata makes no sense at all to me. I'd love a quick fix through a trade to solve our defensive shortcomings but really I think best course of action is to somehow be patient. Wait to see how the guys who are injured look when they are healthy and wait to see what is available in the summer window. Hard to say that when we are 0-4 but not many options right now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Not while he is playing CB he's not.
    +1, have some +rep too

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"We have conversations on a regular basis with pretty much everyone in the league," Cochrane said. "I don't think anyone's panicking."

They fucking should be.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Say what you want about Larson, but in reality, he is the best reporter on the TFC beat. He's knowledgeable about the game and has something about TFC or MLS in the paper or in his blog everyday.

While trading Plata may seem ridiculous, fact of the matter is that TFC doesn't have a lot of commodities to trade in order to help their defense. Frei was one asset until he got hurt. And it's not like other teams are clamoring for the likes of Dunfield or Aceval or Harden or Stinson or Cordon to help TFC get a defender.

The adage is if you want to get something good, you have to give up something good... well usually.

MLS is weird and this line sometimes doesn't apply.

Case in point: Dero:
    We did get Dero for a bag of balls and some pillons and then a couple years later we traded him for a beer cup and some grass feed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post

My arguement is that its the TACTICS we are currently using that is making the defense weaker, NOT the personnel. With the current tactics, getting a couple of different centre backs wouldn't make much difference, IMO! So, the talk of trading to improve the defense, its fairly silly!

Harden is a much improved CB, and we all agree that Ecks and Morgan are very good full backs. So, do we REALLY think that changing Aceval would make the defense suddenly good? I don't think so! It's this horrible high offside line, and the fact that the attackers are constantly giving the ball to the opposition that is making the defense bad!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aceval is a GREAT defender, he hasn't been playing great all the time but if you can't see that his marking is good, he is GREAT on the ball and good off it you are blind.

He needs time to work with the team, I think he and Henry together at the back could do VERY well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Nagamura is an ex-TFC player who was traded by Mo because he refused to live in Canada.
    Considering that was Mo Johnston, I'd take it with a grain of salt (or maybe an entire bag). I think living in Toronto and getting some playing time looks pretty good in comparison to getting spot minutes in KC at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by TFCBarrie View Post
    When he's playing sure, but preferably I'd like to have more than one. Because if he gets hurt (or we have to use him in the backline) our midfield is terrible.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    MLS is weird and this line sometimes doesn't apply.

Case in point: Dero:
    We did get Dero for a bag of balls and some pillons and then a couple years later we traded him for a beer cup and some grass feed.
    That's why I clarified... well usually.

But in both cases, Houston had to trade him and TFC had to him. The team buying held the advantage.

In this case, TFC, as the buyer, is screwed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aceval is a GREAT defender, he hasn't been playing great all the time but if you can't see that his marking is good, he is GREAT on the ball and good off it you are blind.

He needs time to work with the team, I think he and Henry together at the back could do VERY well.
    Don't know if I agree with you on this, but I do hope that Winter is an experienced enough coach to know if he is the right fit for TFC by now, and whether or not he should get another chance.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I THINK Aceval is the right fit, but just because he is the right fit it doesn't mean everything will work from day 1. It takes a bit, Henri was off playing with the U23 team for a while which kind of sucks because if he and Aceval were practicing together at the back I think it would have gone a long way towards forging that 'team'

We will see, I really hope he isn't shown the door.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=sky;1472434]Aceval is a GREAT defender, he hasn't been playing great all the time but if you can't see that his marking is good, he is GREAT on the ball and good off it you are blind.

He needs time to work with the team, I think he and Henry together at the back could do VERY well.[/QUOTE

I think aceval Was a great defender going forward in much less physical leagues.

I would like to try him in the midfield, unless he's not fit enough to make the runs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig Forrest put it as "he has yet to show he can defend at this level."

I'd say that's a pretty accurate assessment. His off-the-ball positioning is awful, by the way. Awful. In fact, outside of Terry Dunfield I can't see why he's even on the pitch as a centre half. he's short, slow and his positioning is bad. His play reminds me of Nick Garcia, so far.

I'm told he started as a midfielder in Chile and only switched to defence in the last few years. Anyone know if that's true?

DOUBLE: Good point on the style of play. Caicedo was well-regarded before he got here, but he said himself the speed and physicality were too much.

And Doneil Henry does not appear ready yet to start in MLS, although it would help if winter played him in position. It's hard to tell when he's treating him as a fullback.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not marking well in a couple of incidents is not the same as being awful. Most of the time he is where he needs to be and has stopped plenty of goals.

We need our field Marshall back, we need Frings...