Page 55 of 89 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 2645
    Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Simply put, he adds nothing more to our team than the player who we're already with the squad that we just unloaded. What is the point?
    but maybe PM has an idea of the type of player he wants in the squad, regardless of what you or i or anybody else thinks. he has been around this league long enough to be able to have a handle on that...and don't give me the argument that he should have done it for AW. AW clearly wanted a different type of player...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    You really can't judge a player after being with his new teammates for 5 minutes! He literally just flew in to meet the team the day before the NE game. I've seen SO many players have awful debut's only to then eventually become a fan favourite. There have been quite a few TFC players like that too. I know a few people said that Koev's looked like he would never score in the MLS after his first game, and now look at what he did in the MLS
    I agree with you T but you also can not judge a player after 30mins in game two.. i hope he does well, but like i said i think the jury is still out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjones View Post
    but maybe PM has an idea of the type of player he wants in the squad, regardless of what you or i or anybody else thinks. he has been around this league long enough to be able to have a handle on that...and don't give me the argument that he should have done it for AW. AW clearly wanted a different type of player...
    If this is the type of player we are gunning for we will be continuing our long standing relationship with the bottom of the table.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this is the type of player we are gunning for we will be continuing our long standing relationship with the bottom of the table.
    really? the only reason that we are at the bottom of the table has everything to do with AW..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaBandit View Post
    I agree with you T but you also can not judge a player after 30mins in game two.. i hope he does well, but like i said i think the jury is still out.
    Yes agreed, of course. I'm not saying Wideboy is a good player, or a bad one, simply we can't judge yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes agreed, of course. I'm not saying Wideboy is a good player, or a bad one, simply we can't judge yet.
    Lol. How many versions of his name can we come up with? I don't even remember his real name anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Releasing players without adequate replacements already in line, during a period of fixture congestion no less, was a mistake in my view. He's left the roster very thin. Also, if we don't sign a DP, the Julian De Guzman trade was pure window dressing, probably only to appease the JDG haters out there. Its only real utility was opening a DP spot for the rest of the season, one we would have gotten at the end anyway. If he doesn't sign a DP with that, that trade was senseless.
    So, letting a contract expire and JDG leaving on a free, vs. getting something, anything, for him is a wash? At least we got a depth player for him, and some cap relief to at least test the market. Heck the player is GA, so that has it's own advantages - good business in my mind, and unfortunately, you have to work it like a business in this league sometimes. I'm sure there was a window-dressing element to it, no doubt.

Everyone is upset at the lack of depth the recent moves has exacerbated... but the team has done pretty decent over this run. The congestion is now over for the mean time... The friendly will have names like Cordon and Makubuya playing, no doubt. I don't think Danny K was a victim of the congestion... his presence' like Frings', cannot be understated in helping this team to win, and it was in the first half of the game on a bad surface everyone was playing on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really? the only reason that we are at the bottom of the table has everything to do with AW..
    it has everything to do with Aron Winter and nothing to do with anyone else? Truth be told I think Aron Winter was a terrible coach and deserved to be fired, so you can stop trying to paint me into that corner... but you're kidding yourself if you believe that other people on staff don't have something to do with where we are currently.

If this is the type of players we're going to fill our roster out with, I tend to believe we are heading back to MLS 1.0, which will be neither fun to watch or successful. Most of the coaches playing the equivalent style have been chased from the league, but hey, why don't we give it a shot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quincy Amarikwa? If TFC still has hopes of qualifying for this summer's Olympic diving competition, then this signing makes lots of sense. I remember this guy as a genuine twat.

Seriously though, this signing deserves an unqualified meh, absolutely nothing to get excited or worried about. The guy was making $44k at Colorado. Since he was just released by them, I assume TFC doesn't have to pay him more than that. Salary-wise he's closer to Burgos than to any of the other guys we lost. He's probably decent bench depth. In our new "system" he's fast & presumably decent at chasing down poorly-placed long balls, e.g., if he's subbed on late in a game.

Note that I absolutely wasn't happy with releasing Soolsma, but the difference between Soolsma & Ameritwat (other than the obvious quality) is that Soolsma was making more than twice as much ($110k), took up an international spot, and probably wasn't the best for chasing down mindless long balls. Soolsma's release only makes a smidgen of sense if it helps them sign some real quality guys, e.g. at CB, which we haven't seen yet.

Somebody mentioned Plata's low salary. I would much rather have Plata than this guy. The difference there (I HOPE!!!!) is Plata's $500k transfer fee. I do hope they got some of that back due to the loan-back, giving us some allocash or whatever to make it through this year. Again only makes sense if we get some real quality in return -- just like the JDG trade. Hasn't happened yet, we shall see, window closes July 27th right???

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it has everything to do with Aron Winter and nothing to do with anyone else? Truth be told I think Aron Winter was a terrible coach and deserved to be fired, so you can stop trying to paint me into that corner... but you're kidding yourself if you believe that other people on staff don't have something to do with where we are currently.

If this is the type of players we're going to fill our roster out with, I tend to believe we are heading back to MLS 1.0, which will be neither fun to watch or successful. Most of the coaches playing the equivalent style have been chased from the league, but hey, why don't we give it a shot.
    we have given it a shot and we are 4-2-4, not sure what point you are trying to make..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is the point of having all this money if we dont have anybody to do the shopping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we have given it a shot and we are 4-2-4, not sure what point you are trying to make..
    This team's number one problem has always been player acquisition. By the looks of this signing, we are no closer to solving our problems, hence my concern.

It's nice that we've put up a good string of results, but as Pookie points out in the other thread, we can point out good runs in form from just about every coach we've ever had. It's not unusual to get a "new coach" bounce after firing the previous manager... it doesn't always last.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team's number one problem has always been player acquisition. By the looks of this signing, we are no closer to solving our problems, hence my concern.
    disagree, we need depth players, and if this is one coming our way, what is the concern?....we also need a few starters, is the transfer window closed? not yet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't read too much into Amerikwa's rumoured signing... He's cheap cover, nothing more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice that we've put up a good string of results, but as Pookie points out in the other thread, we can point out good runs in form from just about every coach we've ever had. It's not unusual to get a "new coach" bounce after firing the previous manager... it doesn't always last.
    Agreed. A blind mute basketball coach could have done a lot of the things Mariner has done "so far"! Keeping the momuntum going for the rest of the season is going to show more of how Mariner is a success or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

disagree, we need depth players, and if this is one coming our way, what is the concern?....we also need a few starters, is the transfer window closed? not yet
    I think we had some guys handing around the team who could be considered depth, we shipped them out and now we're bringing in more of the same. It's really a zero sum move.

I know the window isn't closed, but TFC is yet again slow off the mark.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-19-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    apparently we are signing Quincy Amarikwa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quincy_Amarikwa

John Molinaro is reporting it via twitter.
    Until it is official, it is really only a rumour

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quincy Amarikwa, is officially off the roster of Colorado Rapids roster, but it doesnt mean he is officially coming to Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. A blind mute basketball coach could have done a lot of the things Mariner has done "so far"! Keeping the momuntum going for the rest of the season is going to show more of how Mariner is a success or not.
    I think Paul Mariner stepped into a situation where there is a very small chance of making the playoffs or really having any on-field success. In the remaining games, I'd like to see that he can manage the team properly tactically and be pragmatic enough to give kids some games .. try a few players to see if they fit ... etc... We've seen some good and some bad so far, but I think on balance on-field has been positive.

That being said, my #1 criteria for deciding if he comes back or not is talent identification. If we can find players in the window, I say let him try again next year. If not, we're clearly still missing something and it has to be re-thought

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It never ceases to amaze me how many self proclaimed scouting experts continue to bash Mariner, without even giving his acquisitions the benefit of the doubt of proving themselves on the pitch. Amarikwa is a depth signing that isn't going to eat up a lot of cap space, nothing more.

A few people were quick to criticize Mariner's acquisition of Wiedeman as well, and so far he has looked solid.

Amarikwa is not a DP signing, so take it for what it is. I'm sure Mariner is still working hard behind the scenes to acquire 1-2 impact players prior to the close of the transfer window, as he suggested in the post game press conference last night.

Seriously, Mariner's pedigree in this league should have earned him a modest level of respect from certain "supporters" of this club. Yet despite his positive results, the usual suspects continue to scrutinize him without just cause. It's unfair and pathetic to be honest.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but I don't give a shit. This is supposed to be a TFC supporters forum. We finally have a manager in place that has produced results in league play on a consistent basis since his arrival and is generating a level of excitement that has been absent from this organization for far too long, yet the negativity around here seems to be at an all time high. Some of you need to give your fucking heads a shake. Your cynicism is nothing but a turn off for those of us that are enjoying the recent success of the club and want to continue to give Mariner the benefit of the doubt.

I hope Mariner continues to make all his detractors eat crow. Then again, they should be used to the taste by now.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 07-19-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how many self proclaimed scouting experts continue to bash Mariner, without even giving his acquisitions the benefit of the doubt of proving themselves on the pitch. Amarikwa is a depth signing that isn't going to eat up a lot of cap space, nothing more.

A few people were quick to criticize Mariner's acquistion of Wiedeman as well, and so far he has looked solid.

Amarikwa is not a DP signing, so take it for what it is. I'm sure Mariner is still working hard behind the scenes to acquire 1-2 impact players prior to the close of the transfer window, as he suggested in the post game press conference last night.

Seriously, Mariner's pedigree in this league should have earned him a modest level of respect from certain "supporters" of this club. Yet despite his positive results, the usual suspects continue to scrutinize him without just cause. It's unfair and pathetic to be honest.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but I don't give a shit. This is supposed to be a TFC supporters forum. We finally have a manager in place that has produced results in league play on a consistent basis since his arrival and is generating a level of excitement that has been absent from this organization for far too long, yet the negativity around here seems to be at an all time high. Some of you need to give your fucking heads a shake. Your cynicism is nothing but a turn off for those of us that are enjoying the recent success of the club and want to continue to give Mariner the benefit of the doubt.

I hope Mariner continues to make all his detractors eat crow. Then again, they should be used to the taste by now.
    yes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Until it is official, it is really only a rumour
    We should try for.
    Bjørn Helge Riise

seasoned and would be able to fill a plethora of roles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few people were quick to criticize Mariner's acquistion of Wiedeman as well, and so far he has looked solid.

I disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give credit where credit is due. Mariner may not be the prettiest of coaches in terms of tactics and style of play so far, but the one thing he DOES know as well as any coach is the MLS and North American soccer and the university system. He talks about players from the draft extremely knowledgably. Winter didn't have that knowledge, and that was one of the issues with him. But Mariner knows the players, and seems to live and breathe MLS and American university system. I think if you named ANY MLS player or university college player, Mariner would probably tell you a load of facts about him that nobody else knows, or would talk about a college player like he's an every day name! He's really a North American college system GEEK!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Gazette dello sport reporting we are in negotiations with Inzaghi. Pretty sure that is a reliable source for Italian football. Paging Trane...

Any more on this ?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Give credit where credit is due. Mariner may not be the prettiest of coaches in terms of tactics and style of play so far, but the one thing he DOES know as well as any coach is the MLS and North American soccer and the university system. He talks about players from the draft extremely knowledgably. Winter didn't have that knowledge, and that was one of the issues with him. But Mariner knows the players, and seems to live and breathe MLS and American university system. I think if you named ANY MLS player or university college player, Mariner would probably tell you a load of facts about him that nobody else knows, or would talk about a college player like he's an every day name! He's really a North American college system GEEK!
    Hopfully that continues now that he is a first team manager with more day-day involvement with the first team. His North American network for scouting outside of TFC will really be put to the test the next year or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few people were quick to criticize Mariner's acquisition of Wiedeman as well, and so far he has looked solid.

Not for everyone.

While I was happy we won yesterday...I also found myself sitting down in the south end (first time in 6 years) during the game. I was totally disinterested because it feels like watching kids playing. I think it was a symptom of having two teams playing poorly that got to me.

If I had the expensive seats at midflied I doubt I'd have renewed my seats already.

At half time I was chatting with a buddy and we both agreed that if TFC came back and won 5-1 or went on to lose 5-0 I wouldn't have cared either way all that much.

That's soley due to the type of football I'm watching. I'll keep going this year but if there's any indication that we're going to continue playing this style next year, I won't renew.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the way we played after we went up 2-1 but I need to see more of that possession based game, against a team that isn't as awful as the Rapids looked, to believe that possession is important to our coach.

It's not exciting for everybody. Sometimes you watch a game and forget what the results were because you're so fixated on how the game was played. Most times it's a result of having watched two teams play well and distract you from who won or lost.

Last night (and many of the games since Mariner game on board) it's been a case FOR ME, of being distracted by how poorly the game is played. It's fine for rep kids in a park...but not for me to spend money on to go and watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Not for everyone.

While I was happy we won yesterday...I also found myself sitting down in the south end (first time in 6 years) during the game. I was totally disinterested because it feels like watching kids playing. I think it was a symptom of having two teams playing poorly that got to me.

If I had the expensive seats at midflied I doubt I'd have renewed my seats already.

At half time I was chatting with a buddy and we both agreed that if TFC came back and won 5-1 or went on to lose 5-0 I wouldn't have cared either way all that much.

That's soley due to the type of football I'm watching. I'll keep going this year but if there's any indication that we're going to continue playing this style next year, I won't renew.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the way we played after we went up 2-1 but I need to see more of that possession based game, against a team that isn't as awful as the Rapids looked, to believe that possession is important to our coach.

It's not exciting for everybody. Sometimes you watch a game and forget what the results were because you're so fixated on how the game was played. Most times it's a result of having watched two teams play well and distract you from who won or lost.

Last night (and many of the games since Mariner game on board) it's been a case FOR ME, of being distracted by how poorly the game is played. It's fine for rep kids in a park...but not for me to spend money on to go and watch.
    I agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cincy View Post
    Any more on this ?
    Inzaghi is looking to takejob within Milan's youth department.