Page 52 of 89 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 2645
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take it for what it is...reading on twitter somewhere that MELLBERG is getting a medical at everton..oh well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    I say take a run at Michael Owen! He's out of contract after being released by Man United and is struggling to find a top level club to take a chance on him. The boy can score, no doubt about it and he's stated publicly that he doesn't want to drop down a league so MLS might be an "out" for him rather than go back on his word. That's where we come in. Sign him to a DP contract for the rest of the year to give him an opportunity to show he can still fill the net and attract attention in the European January transfer window. Seems like a win-win to me?
    And i dont think tfc plays on any more turf games so owen might not shatter. Well, except a good slide tackle anyways!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    this makes sense
    It certainly makes sense but it doesn't follow the written roster rules as published by the league. If the league is treating this differently, I would be happy with that but it would be very controversial and add to the feeling that the league doesn't follow its own rules. I don't think Seattle got any cap space back when Zakuani got his SEI last season. I know that is slightly different as he was non-DP but seems same case under the roster rules.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    take it for what it is...reading on twitter somewhere that MELLBERG is getting a medical at everton..oh well.
    I saw that. Tried searching for something on Kevin McKenna.... holy jumpin' jeebus - do you know how many Kevin McKennas there are on Twittorz ?
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Moyes has been after him for the last couple of weeks. No offense to TFC and the MLS, but if I had the choice between the MLS and Everton...I know where I would go :s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who would you rather talk to...MOYES or EARL COCH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Owen IS NOT the type of striker we need or want...We need a body like Koev who can hold the ball up and bring others into the attack, Owen is only good at playing with another striker who he can run off of. We all know PM wants to lob the ball up, so Owen just doesn't make sense...and his size works against him in MLS...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing on Sky Sports transfer ticker on Mellberg and Everton. Seems if he was at the point of having a medical, they would have caught wind of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    It certainly makes sense but it doesn't follow the written roster rules as published by the league. If the league is treating this differently, I would be happy with that but it would be very controversial and add to the feeling that the league doesn't follow its own rules. I don't think Seattle got any cap space back when Zakuani got his SEI last season. I know that is slightly different as he was non-DP but seems same case under the roster rules.
    (K)SEASON-ENDING INJURY REPLACEMENTS (Season Ending Injury List)
    A team with a player lost to a season-ending injury can place the player on the Season Ending Injury List and replace that player on its roster, while remaining responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary. A player can be placed on the season-ending injury list once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the team has budget space). International player limits still apply at the time a season-ending replacement is made (with the player being replaced not counting against those limits).
    (L) SHORT-TERM INJURY REPLACEMENTS (Disabled List)
    A player who has a short-term injury can be placed on the Disabled List once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the team has budget space). The team will remain responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary on the salary budget. Note: the injured player will have to sit out a minimum of six MLS League matches before he can rejoin the team’s roster.

One mentions the salary budget, which is basically the team cap, but the other just mentions salary... If the rule read like this, there's a lot of interpretation as to what that means. A good lawyer could argue that ambiguity and rip it open, i would think. This part has me confused

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Nothing on Sky Sports transfer ticker on Mellberg and Everton. Seems if he was at the point of having a medical, they would have caught wind of it.
    i saw it on twitter...who knows how reputable the guy is...we all know that twitter is always on the up and up.lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    [B]

One mentions the salary budget, which is basically the team cap, but the other just mentions salary... If the rule read like this, there's a lot of interpretation as to what that means. A good lawyer could argue that ambiguity and rip it open, i would think. This part has me confused
    Its almost as if the rules are left intentionally vague so that they can be bent to suit the whims of the league ...

Short term injury mentions salary budget (IE Cap) specifically while the Season Ending section doesn't mention. So maybe?

My guess is the league/Union allows the cap hit to be returned in "extreme" situations like Koevermans. But in another situation like Frei's, where he is out for essentially the whole season and will only return for final 6 weeks (if at all) to be a backup then the league/union wants to protect the player somewhat from being pressured into getting labelled as season ending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Saborio started on non-DP wages but currently occupies the DP spot for RSL. His wages are on the border between non-DP and DP (400k per year).

I agree that you can find attacking talent for non-DP wages, however I think the most effective use of the DP slot we've seen so far has been with attacking talent, particularly target men up front. I'd be much more inclined to look for defenders on average wages, as there seems to be a lot more of those, if you do your homework.
    I agree.

IMO, big money should be spent on goal scorers and creative midfielders who can make lesser talents around them better. In a league where financial resources are at a premium, having players who can consistently score and create chances for other players is priceless.

On the other hand, I don't believe defenders should be big money players, because there aren't all that many great strikers in this league. Many effective defenses have been assembled for very reasonable costs, because the entire team has bought into defending as a unit. With proper midfield cover and defenders who don't make dumb mistakes, you can effectively keep the ball out of your net without breaking the bank on big money players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where the hell are the new players .... This would be a perfect time to bring them in so they can get some playing time against Liverpool on Sat. Not only they could practice as a team at downsview for a whole week. these next 2 games are so important to get max points from. We play Huston after Liverpool and they hold the last playoff spot. If TFC wins both games they could be 6 points out with a lot of games left to play. PM would be my hero if he could put TFC into the playoff picture. I WANT TO SEE THE NEW STARS ON THIS TEAM. JUST PAY UP MLSE!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there's still time for TFC to decide to who to go for next, cause if he doesn't act fast, the transfer window will close soon!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It closes July 27th.

Still time, but sooner rather than later would be a good thing.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    but sooner rather than later would be a good thing.
    exactly!!!

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It closes July 27th.

Seriously. I'm dying to see some help arrive.
    Lets put those negotiations into overdrive Mariner!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It closes July 27th.

I foresee a press conference on the 28th with Paul Bernie announcing "although we were close to signing "fill in blank with unbelievable player name" we were unable to come to terms that made sense for the organization at this time ... blah blah blah... and by the way we would also like to thank Tom, Paul, and Earl for working diligently to improve TFC..." (standard MLSE speech)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their scouting network is terrible. Right now they are bumbling and fumbling to get something done, they should have brought aboard the south american scout philly let go. Not because he is the best(hence his departure) but because he has keys to doors we need opened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    I foresee a press conference on the 28th with Paul Bernie announcing "although we were close to signing "fill in blank with unbelievable player name" we were unable to come to terms that made sense for the organization at this time ... blah blah blah... and by the way we would also like to thank Tom, Paul, and Earl for working diligently to improve TFC..." (standard MLSE speech)
    ".....And Brownie you're doing a hell of a job."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    ".....And Brownie you're doing a hell of a job."

Toronto FC... where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd prefer they sign "mr right" rather than "mr right now". If they make a snap decision and sign somebody like Michael Owen, then I'd be pissed. If we are signing players now they shouldn't only make us stronger now, but also in the future. If they can't sign somebody who does both, I'd be fine if we had no signings at all in this transfer window!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll give it until Friday to get something done, but at that point if we don't have fresh ink on contracts I will promptly lose my shit. This club should have been looking for reinforcements months ago, is it news to the people in the front office that we need central defenders and a few other parts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I'd prefer they sign "mr right" rather than "mr right now". If they make a snap decision and sign somebody like Michael Owen, then I'd be pissed. If we are signing players now they shouldn't only make us stronger now, but also in the future. If they can't sign somebody who does both, I'd be fine if we had no signings at all in this transfer window!
    Couldn't agree with this more. But I have feeling that the club will look to sign someone for right now to give the club a few extra wins. They'll do the to appease some of the fans base and help with ticket renewals.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a big problem with signing "Mr. Right Now". As long as they carefully develop the young talent, then I'm fine with bringing in big name DP's that only have a couple decent years left. When they can no longer play, then just go find the next star who is close to retirement. I don't much care if the DP players pass through the club like a revolving door, as long as management can maintain consistency with the rest of the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I don't have a big problem with signing "Mr. Right Now". As long as they carefully develop the young talent, then I'm fine with bringing in big name DP's that only have a couple decent years left. When they can no longer play, then just go find the next star who is close to retirement. I don't much care if the DP players pass through the club like a revolving door, as long as management can maintain consistency with the rest of the team.
    Yeah, i agree. The Academy and the young Reserve players should be the focal point of our growth, not a DP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As logical as it sounds, i think a lot of fans would be very angry at such a proposal based on optics. It kinda sends the message that ownership is writing off the year. I think this year has done nothing but highlight deficiencies in ownership, so they would rather move than not at this juncture if the talent-level is out there. Even if it doesn't give actual momentum to stengthen the squad, at least it gives the appearance that ownership is willing to work and help and build on the current momentum - a short-term solution for a short term problem (as re-evaluation will probably happen in the off-season on Danny)... don't think that's a bad thing - i honestly don't think a long-term solution is a good idea either, unless it is in the centre of defence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Shola Ameobi is out of contract. We should take another look at him.

Then again.. I'm sure Carver is warning everyone south of Hadrian's wall about the TFC FO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have Danny K as our DP signed through next season. The Michael Owen idea is to sign him till the end of this season as a stop gap that would offer him the opportunity to show Premiership teams in England that he can still put the ball in the net. There aren't many DP strikers that would agree to sign short term so that's why I thought he'd consider it. I'd like to see them sign anyone who would stand a chance of temporarily filling Danny K's shoes to get us through this year.

I'd have to assume that the front office had some sort of plan to improve the team when they let Julian De Guzman go that included Danny K as our striker. They are obviously committed to having three DP's so I say, continue on with the original plan, whatever that was ... DP Central Defender or whatever else they had in mind and fill Danny's spot with a rent-a-DP because when Danny comes back ... we only have three DP spots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Owen says he is looking to play for a couple more years and has options at the top level. I can't see him coming here for half a season. He won't stay fit anyway. Bad move.