Page 51 of 89 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 2645
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    No matter who Mariner brings in, he will be accused of not paying enough attention to the other elements of the roster. Get a DP CB, not paying attention to front line, etc. Or, doesn't get DP at all and just gets a couple journeyman players to add bodies, then didn't chase talent.

Damned if he does, really damned if he doesn't.

Edit:
    Also, he could be waiting to see what happens with Boca & Edu (and any other USMNT players coming back to MLS in summer window). Since we are #2 in the pick up order, could have have a shot at one or the other, assuming they actually come back, which I'd say is not likely.
    I dont rhinl edu os coming to mls, bit sign and trade away bocanegra. He has a lot of value in mls

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jrober38 View Post
    Totally agree.

It's extremely difficult to find players in MLS who can score which is why so many DP spots are used on goal scorers. Very few guys who make $50k-$250k can consistently put the ball in the net, and without DK in the lineup for the foreseeable future, we have to invest our remaining cash into getting another guy who can consistently score because no one left on the roster can do that.

If we can bring in an affordable defender, I wouldn't mind. But I also don't see the harm in letting the kids take their lumps. They've looked good and they've looked totally overwhelmed. With a little more seasoning they might look good a whole lot more than they look overwhelmed, and the need for a defender for next year might not be as big a need as it looks right now.
    You can get a good striker for 250k in mls. Some of the most consistent in mls like saborio and wondo dont cost above dp.. id love to have alan gordon back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watching the PM interview on the TFC website and he says that they do get the DP slot back and $170,000 of the cap space. So they could sign two DP's according to him in the interview little after the 4 min mark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    You can get a good striker for 250k in mls. Some of the most consistent in mls like saborio and wondo dont cost above dp.. id love to have alan gordon back
    Saborio started on non-DP wages but currently occupies the DP spot for RSL. His wages are on the border between non-DP and DP (400k per year).

I agree that you can find attacking talent for non-DP wages, however I think the most effective use of the DP slot we've seen so far has been with attacking talent, particularly target men up front. I'd be much more inclined to look for defenders on average wages, as there seems to be a lot more of those, if you do your homework.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Just watching the PM interview on the TFC website and he says that they do get the DP slot back and $170,000 of the cap space. So they could sign two DP's according to him in the interview little after the 4 min mark.
    Well, this certainly changes things.
    Let's get a DP CB, and a DP striker.
    Let's get'er done!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont rhinl edu os coming to mls, bit sign and trade away bocanegra. He has a lot of value in mls
    Sorry don't understand what the heck you're trying to say here.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Tim90 ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Thanks for the update. If that's the case, we might be back in business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    LOL, it looks like he was typing on an iphone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN reports we get the DP slot as well.

TFC gets roster relief but no salary break on Koevermans' US$1.56-million tab this season, according to MLS. As part of that roster relief, Toronto gets an open spot for an additional international player and designated player for the remainder of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so go sign Mellberg (DP), McKenna (non DP), sign some stud DP striker and lets boss the 2nd half of our schedule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mentioned Bocagnegra last week as a potential defender. I would love to see him play for us, and he is interested in MLS. Kinda pissed that Vancouver got Kenny Miller, he is a quality player and will will do well out west.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    so go sign Mellberg (DP), McKenna (non DP), sign some stud DP striker and lets boss the 2nd half of our schedule.
    Seems easy enough doesnt it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd get a couple of strikers in here ASAP and give them a run out against Liverpool. Who's Peter Byers cheap non-union equivalent?... Oh wait that would be Peter Byers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we should try Henry at striker before we try to fix this with a signing. Seriously. I think he can maybe do the job.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

has it been a quiet transfer season, or is it just me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I can see what you're saying in terms of body shape and his ability in the air, but asking him to be starter at his natural position at his age is a big ask, yet a lone to playing a whole position. Even if they were to try Henry as striker, they'd still need at least one more forward in terms of depth.

They are players out there who can do a job for TFC, even just in terms of pressing and being a physical presence. They are guys in the CSL who might even be up to it. It would be a huge step up, but I quite like Jarek Whiteman. He's got history with the team, he's big, and has a good scoring touch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear Stefan vukovic is a free agent, might as well give him a 6 month contract to prove himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we might have the DP spot back, but without cap relief it's pretty much useless unless we sign a young DP. I have my doubts that we had enough money for a DP (if we had a spot) before the Koev injury, so there's no reason why we would now unless some 200k of allocation magically appeared (which is possible BTW)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I hear Stefan vukovic is a free agent, might as well give him a 6 month contract to prove himself.
    Believe that's not true. Just a misunderstood twitter comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4424114/

according to globe and mail, they are saying that they are now also looking for forwards too, which means we might get a experience forward maybe. Plus they also said we will get the DP spot back from Danny Koef as he is in the injury list. Which means we're allowed to get 2 DP right now if the cheap MLSE is willing spend their money now and hope not to loose more fans for next season!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontofc View Post
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4424114/

according to globe and mail, they are saying that they are now also looking for forwards too, which means we might get a experience forward maybe. Plus they also said we will get the DP spot back from Danny Koef as he is in the injury list. Which means we're allowed to get 2 DP right now if the cheap MLSE is willing spend their money now and hope not to loose more fans for next season!!!
    TFC is still on hook for Danny K's cap space hit. So no 2 DPs for you.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep seeing confirmation that TFC is on the hook for salary, with no mention of cap hit... So if the Transfer Window opens and someone is out with a season ending injury, you get zero cap relief?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yohan, listen to paul Mariner's interview yesterday he said we get approximately 170k of the cap back due to his injury, and paul agreed that we could effectively sign to DPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we get $170,000 back and the DP spot open, is that not the cap hit for a DP playing half the season?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    Yohan, listen to paul Mariner's interview yesterday he said we get approximately 170k of the cap back due to his injury, and paul agreed that we could effectively sign to DPs.
    if this is true, MLS decided to switch rules again. originally, the rule was made to prevent teams from claiming that a player was 'injured', to sign more players midseason
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is what mariner stated in the interview on TFC's website it is around the 4 min mark. Still a possibility he is mistaken as he says he gets his information from Cochrane, but he says that they get the DP slot back and 170 in cap relief.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if this is true, MLS decided to switch rules again. originally, the rule was made to prevent teams from claiming that a player was 'injured', to sign more players midseason
    I would think that by having a classification such as "Season-Ending Injury", it supposes exceptions can be made

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    I would think that by having a classification such as "Season-Ending Injury", it supposes exceptions can be made
    this makes sense

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say take a run at Michael Owen! He's out of contract after being released by Man United and is struggling to find a top level club to take a chance on him. The boy can score, no doubt about it and he's stated publicly that he doesn't want to drop down a league so MLS might be an "out" for him rather than go back on his word. That's where we come in. Sign him to a DP contract for the rest of the year to give him an opportunity to show he can still fill the net and attract attention in the European January transfer window. Seems like a win-win to me?