Page 50 of 89 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 2645
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    according to BBC..EDU and BOCANEGRA will be released by RANGERS...
    EDU beside FRINGS,that would be yummy.
    With the weird rules that the league has, does TFC still hold EDU's MLS rights?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    With the weird rules that the league has, does TFC still hold EDU's MLS rights?
    No. Bc tfc received a transfer fee for edu. Edu will be subjected to allocation process if he signs for mls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mellberg,mckenna,new striker...where are you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://translate.google.com/translat...or-nieuwe-kans

Soolsma on trial with Excelsior Rotterdam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC The Hague View Post
    http://translate.google.com/translat...or-nieuwe-kans

Soolsma on trial with Excelsior Rotterdam.
    Commented in the Nick Soolsma appreciation thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a real rumor but an observation that I have made. I work in the Hyatt on King building (where the The Score is) and commonly see visiting team officials and players around the hotel when they stay here. Yesterday I was out in front of the building have a cigarette and noticed two men with briefcases wearing whitecap golf shirts with dress pants. Now I can't say for sure if they were Whitecap officials but I believe they were. Why else would two execs wear the same shirt? First thing I thought was that perhaps they were in town for the Wednesday match, but we play Colorado. Perhaps a scouting trip? But why so early in the week. Also, they would be scouting Colorado since I don't believe we play them again this year. The last thing that popped into my mind was maybe a player negotiation. The this morning, learning about Koevs season ending injury in the news thread, I saw a post mentioning that the Caps may be looking to let go of Hassli.

(http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...38#post1512638)

I'm sure you can all see where this is going!!

Again, not a rumor, just a simple observation.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doubt it. Hassli is hurt and people don't really fly 5000km to do trade negotiations. Could be wrong i guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlocks View Post
    Not a real rumor but an observation that I have made. I work in the Hyatt on King building (where the The Score is) and commonly see visiting team officials and players around the hotel when they stay here. Yesterday I was out in front of the building have a cigarette and noticed two men with briefcases wearing whitecap golf shirts with dress pants. Now I can't say for sure if they were Whitecap officials but I believe they were. Why else would two execs wear the same shirt? First thing I thought was that perhaps they were in town for the Wednesday match, but we play Colorado. Perhaps a scouting trip? But why so early in the week. Also, they would be scouting Colorado since I don't believe we play them again this year. The last thing that popped into my mind was maybe a player negotiation. The this morning, learning about Koevs season ending injury in the news thread, I saw a post mentioning that the Caps may be looking to let go of Hassli.

(http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...38#post1512638)

I'm sure you can all see where this is going!!

Again, not a rumor, just a simple observation.

Hassli's injured.

They may have been scouting Colorado. They're a western conference team, so they play each other 3 times. For us it's only once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont worry people,,,we have a backup goalie training with the club today(freddy hall)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdc 77 View Post
    Doubt it. Hassli is hurt and people don't really fly 5000km to do trade negotiations. Could be wrong i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Hassli's injured.

They may have been scouting Colorado. They're a western conference team, so they play each other 3 times. For us it's only once.
    You guys are most likely right but I find it hard to believe that you'd show up in a city on the opposite side of the country on a Monday when the teams you are scouting don't play until Wednesday.

Anyway, time will tell the story I guess - but you heard it here first!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As its all gone quiet on the Mellberg and McKenna front, I wonder if there has been a huge change of mind for TFC due to the Koev's injury?

The only players I can really think of in the "koev's" style in the MLS are Hassli, Cooper, and Casey. None of which are likely to come to Toronto. Anybody think of another that could fill Koev's shoes from within the league?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    As its all gone quiet on the Mellberg and McKenna front, I wonder if there has been a huge change of mind for TFC due to the Koev's injury?

The only players I can really think of in the "koev's" style in the MLS are Hassli, Cooper, and Casey. None of which are likely to come to Toronto. Anybody think of another that could fill Koev's shoes from within the league?
    Nope!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finding a replacement for Koevermans right now is not that important. The season is done. There is no need to give up assets in exchange for a few meaningless wins. If Toronto can find a longterm replacement to move forard with, then yes but bringing in any of those guys would be a bad decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Finding a replacement for Koevermans right now is not that important. The season is done. There is no need to give up assets in exchange for a few meaningless wins. If Toronto can find a longterm replacement to move forard with, then yes but bringing in any of those guys would be a bad decision.
    We always make the bad decision, so that pretty much seals it. I wonder who they bring in to replace him? I suspect descisions at this point are going to based around boosting short term results to help renewals though, not with a long term vision.

And to your other point, the MLS season is done, but TFC's season is not. We have the Champions League coming up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christ, and we had Alan Gordon on our team, doing well, took a slight knock and he was gone.
    Now he's doing wonderfully (again) and would have been the perfect player to slot right back in.

Why we got rid of him, I have no idea...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hassli might be worth pursuing. He's still young, plays a similar style as Danny, and he's surplus to requirements in Van.

Whitecaps might be willing to let him go in exchange for draft picks or spare parts, to get back the cap space and DP spot. Same as the JDG deal.

The only real downside to Hassli is he's a suspension waiting to happen. But he's a good target man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC should not be pursuing a Defender right now. The season is over, and we should be playing our young guys to get them experience. Then at the end of the season when we have an accurate picture of what we have on D we can make necessary acquisitions to fill holes.

In the meantime, finding a Striker is crucial. With DK gone, we have no one who can score and there's no one who has shown they deserve to be developed up front either. We need to find a new striker to build the offense around or else this team is going to be unbearable to watch the rest of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it is.

DK is gone for 6-9 months and might not be the same player he has been this year after his injury.

This team needs to bring in a new goal scorer to build their attack around because there isn't a single player left on the team who can be relied on to score, and we have zero prospects waiting in the wings who might develop into a decent option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
    Hassli might be worth pursuing. He's still young, plays a similar style as Danny, and he's surplus to requirements in Van.

Whitecaps might be willing to let him go in exchange for draft picks or spare parts, to get back the cap space and DP spot. Same as the JDG deal.

The only real downside to Hassli is he's a suspension waiting to happen. But he's a good target man.
    Except Hassli is currently injured and whitecaps supporters seem to think he will go back to Switzerland.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple things about Eric Hassli...First, currently he is hurt. Most importantly why do Vancouver a favour and fix their mistake? We just moved a player that was on a DP contract who shouldn't have been on one. Hassli is in the same boat, he is not deserving of a DP contract. He simple isn't that good, certainly nowhere near the class of Danny Koevermans if we want to compare.

Whats Emile Heskey up too? Louis Saha?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all depends on the extent of Eric's injury, but I am not opposed to the idea. I actually like Hassli a lot. He's taller and younger than Danny and plays a similar style as well. Eric may be the only option available to TFC for (temporarily) replacing Danny. If someone said to me previously, TFC has a chance to drop JDG's half season DP contract for Eric Hassli's, I'd have taken that deal in a second. I know it's a long shot, but some of us are interested in the CCL too. Also, the young guys at the back won't be learning all that much if they are constantly being bombarded by pressure because TFC has no offense and no one to hold up the ball. What if RJ were to get injured? We're so thin at Forward right now.

Ideally, TFC needs to pare back on the number of defenders on the squad and assemble a more balanced squad. It would be nice to see someone special brought in to help out in central defense, but Danny's injury has complicated matters. Who knows how serious any talks have been and whether someone of quality at the back was actually considering joining TFC? Can TFC management remove the logjam in defense for some temporary help up front? I just don't want to see any panic moves or mistakes.

EDIT: The way others have been talking, I got the impression that Eric's contract was due to expire soon. Transfermarkt states that it runs unitl June 30, 2015. Does anyone know if Hassli's contract has team options? If not, it certainly changes the equation.
    Last edited by BayernTFC; 07-17-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if this is the right thread for this or not but here is my opinion on the subject:

We have had DK carrying our offense for a while now and have sent away our other scoring options in plata and soolsma. Now that DK is injured we have a very large hole up front which needs to be addressed first before anything else because DK may "be out 6-9 months" but if we look at other athletes that suffer a torn ACL the general rule is it takes another full year to get back to full speed. We are looking at minimum of 18 months and could get close to 24 months for him to be back to full speed/strength and at that point he will be 35.

As far as I'm concerned his days playing professional soccer are essentially over, which is terrible news for him and us. We have nobody that can step in and play up front right now, moving Silva might be an option but a Johnson-Silva combo is not intimidating to opposing defenses. Finding a replacement for DK would be much easier if we were able to use the DP slot but as far as I have read on here we can't.

So with 1 DP slot left we need to use that upfront and then try and bring in 1 player for the back end to play with Henry/Cann/Emory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    So with 1 DP slot left we need to use that upfront and then try and bring in 1 player for the back end to play with Henry/Cann/Emory.
    Totally agree.

It's extremely difficult to find players in MLS who can score which is why so many DP spots are used on goal scorers. Very few guys who make $50k-$250k can consistently put the ball in the net, and without DK in the lineup for the foreseeable future, we have to invest our remaining cash into getting another guy who can consistently score because no one left on the roster can do that.

If we can bring in an affordable defender, I wouldn't mind. But I also don't see the harm in letting the kids take their lumps. They've looked good and they've looked totally overwhelmed. With a little more seasoning they might look good a whole lot more than they look overwhelmed, and the need for a defender for next year might not be as big a need as it looks right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    As far as I'm concerned his days playing professional soccer are essentially over, which is terrible news for him and us. We have nobody that can step in and play up front right now, moving Silva might be an option but a Johnson-Silva combo is not intimidating to opposing defenses. Finding a replacement for DK would be much easier if we were able to use the DP slot but as far as I have read on here we can't.
    Unfortunate, but probably true. TFC should probably look to buy him out in the offseason so it can gain some roster flexibility.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My heart is telling me that DK should stay on the roster for sentimentality's sake knowing that he "might" be able to come back and play next season. My head is saying we should try and remove him from the roster ASAP to get that DP and cap space free. It's seems a little cruel on the guy, but taking off the roster (buying out his contract?) might be the best thing to do for the future of the club.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fuck it.

EVERYBODY DANCE

a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a DP striker is not feasible, I say bring back Maicon Santos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No matter who Mariner brings in, he will be accused of not paying enough attention to the other elements of the roster. Get a DP CB, not paying attention to front line, etc. Or, doesn't get DP at all and just gets a couple journeyman players to add bodies, then didn't chase talent.

Damned if he does, really damned if he doesn't.

Edit:
    Also, he could be waiting to see what happens with Boca & Edu (and any other USMNT players coming back to MLS in summer window). Since we are #2 in the pick up order, could have have a shot at one or the other, assuming they actually come back, which I'd say is not likely.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 07-17-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner IS a little stuck now that we can't use Koev's cap space at ALL I don't think there is any way of replacing Koev's AND getting an experienced CB withouth the league giving us some magical allocation money! (please MLS, PLEASE*?!).

*if we were LAG we would get it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    No matter who Mariner brings in, he will be accused of not paying enough attention to the other elements of the roster. Get a DP CB, not paying attention to front line, etc. Or, doesn't get DP at all and just gets a couple journeyman players to add bodies, then didn't chase talent.

Damned if he does, really damned if he doesn't.

Edit:
    Also, he could be waiting to see what happens with Boca & Edu (and any other USMNT players coming back to MLS in summer window). Since we are #2 in the pick up order, could have have a shot at one or the other, assuming they actually come back, which I'd say is not likely.
    The world changed on Saturday unfortunately. I always thought we were weak at striker and should have been trying to find another in the offseason. You could see it under Winter also - whenever Koefs was taken out, our ability to maintain possession went out the window and we gave up a lot of late goals. Without a target man, I don't think changes in defence will make much of a difference tbh. They can't absorb constant pressure. This went from a nice to have to a must have.