Page 31 of 89 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Or did he remove it himself in a fit of RAGE?!

(I have no idea, just postulating!).
    Could he even reach it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plata was not at training this AM. I am here with my boy in the tfc camp. Watched the session with the other parents.
    my six year old got DK to sign his shirt but had no clue. Youth is wasted on the young.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeGuy View Post
    seems RPB Player of the year has the same curse as the Madden NFL Game Cover.....
    So I am not the only one noticing this...
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more possible sighning news would keep me interested, what a Gong Show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeachTory View Post
    Plata was not at training this AM. I am here with my boy in the tfc camp. Watched the session with the other parents.
    my six year old got DK to sign his shirt but had no clue. Youth is wasted on the young.
    For a second I thought you were going to say that Plata was training with the 6 year olds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok let me see if I have this straight.

Papers in South America and Twitter from Canadian Reporters, seem to report Plata is leaving on a 6 months deal.

He is currently not getting time with TFC, and doesn't fit super well in the system.

Mariner seems to be pissed at something aggressive said by Plata.

Cochrane stated prior to Plata saying his goodbyes via twitter, and cleaning out his locker. That at this moment Plata is still under contract with TFC and no deals have been reached.

So lets look at this from a none Fan rage view.

Plata is frustrated at lack of minutes, he says something, possibly fuelled by Koevs, frustration or ego, to Mariner. Mariner get the idea to remove the kid for a bit for what ever reason, free up some cap, and an international spot. The deal is being worked out but nothing is official. Local papers in Quito get wind of things and start reporting it as fact before it's done. Plata tweets from the article. The deal isn't actually done though and wasn't finished until Saturday evening during the game, after Earl states the truth without allusion because the deal isn't done yet, and if it does fall through at the last second he doesn't want egg on his face. It goes through, Plata starts to pack up because he knows he isn't going to dress, and gets ready to fly home to see his family. Which is the best place for him, if he is going to not get minutes here.

This as an aside free's up an international spot, deals with a potential locker room issue quickly, but with no long term issues that would come from a straight trade. It would also allow the team to bring in the rumoured CB that has been being talked about.

It hasn't been announced as far as I know at this point (Tuesday Night) possibly because the paper work isn't fully signed with the holiday.

This would explain most everything.

The only person that step over a line really is Mariner, though Plata may have jumped the gun a bit, but he didn't do anything wrong. Mariner can be forgiven a little bit for frustration and personal issues, which leave us all at issue at times.

Yes the front office is dumb, yes most everyone above Mariner really needs to go. But at this point I don't see a need to remove Mariner. He's showing better results then Winter was having, and we still have a very inexperienced young back line, because the off season things were dealt with properly. These issue even if caused by Mariner in part or whole were signed off on by Winter who was at the top.

So as far as this issue goes there is certainly better ways to look at it then I've seen here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Plata is frustrated at lack of minutes, he says something, possibly fuelled by Koevs, frustration or ego, to Mariner. Mariner get the idea to remove the kid for a bit for what ever reason, free up some cap, and an international spot. The deal is being worked out but nothing is official. Local papers in Quito get wind of things and start reporting it as fact before it's done. Plata tweets from the article. The deal isn't actually done though and wasn't finished until Saturday evening during the game, after Earl states the truth without allusion because the deal isn't done yet, and if it does fall through at the last second he doesn't want egg on his face. It goes through, Plata starts to pack up because he knows he isn't going to dress, and gets ready to fly home to see his family. Which is the best place for him, if he is going to not get minutes here.

Sorry, I've missed that part. What do you mean by that or Where did you hear that. Not questioning just curious, haven't heard anything like that...or most likely missed it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouderwien View Post
    Sorry, I've missed that part. What do you mean by that or Where did you hear that. Not questioning just curious, haven't heard anything like that...or most likely missed it.
    what we don't know is what has happened behind the scenes. Something, I think, has happened that has irked Mariner. I doubt its just Plata saying something on Twitter...its likely something much more serious than that.

Let's not forget that Plata wasn't playing in the first team even before PM took over, so it could be something that has been going on for a while longer than the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Ok let me see if I have this straight.

Papers in South America and Twitter from Canadian Reporters, seem to report Plata is leaving on a 6 months deal.

He is currently not getting time with TFC, and doesn't fit super well in the system.

Mariner seems to be pissed at something aggressive said by Plata.

Cochrane stated prior to Plata saying his goodbyes via twitter, and cleaning out his locker. That at this moment Plata is still under contract with TFC and no deals have been reached.

So lets look at this from a none Fan rage view.

This as an aside free's up an international spot, deals with a potential locker room issue quickly, but with no long term issues that would come from a straight trade. It would also allow the team to bring in the rumoured CB that has been being talked about.

It hasn't been announced as far as I know at this point (Tuesday Night) possibly because the paper work isn't fully signed with the holiday.

This would explain most everything.

The only person that step over a line really is Mariner, though Plata may have jumped the gun a bit, but he didn't do anything wrong. Mariner can be forgiven a little bit for frustration and personal issues, which leave us all at issue at times.

Yes the front office is dumb, yes most everyone above Mariner really needs to go. But at this point I don't see a need to remove Mariner. He's showing better results then Winter was having, and we still have a very inexperienced young back line, because the off season things were dealt with properly. These issue even if caused by Mariner in part or whole were signed off on by Winter who was at the top.

So as far as this issue goes there is certainly better ways to look at it then I've seen here.
    Mariner's comments were dumb, I agree. Who's the 20 year old here, him or Plata?

But Earl Cochrane's comments take the cake. He went to the media room to "clear things up," telling reporters that Plata is with the team, only to have those very same reporters watch Plata clean out his office and say good-bye to everyone only 45 minutes later. The egg is squarely on his face.

I hear they are going to "clear up" the Plata situation again tonight before the Dallas game. What's he going to say this time? Plata is still with the team, we were just moving his locker over two spaces?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what we don't know is what has happened behind the scenes. Something, I think, has happened that has irked Mariner. I doubt its just Plata saying something on Twitter...its likely something much more serious than that.

Let's not forget that Plata wasn't playing in the first team even before PM took over, so it could be something that has been going on for a while longer than the last 2 or 3 weeks.
    Plata wasn't playing regularly under Winter because of form, but under Mariner he is totally marginalized. He has no place in the formation Mariner is using. It's abundandtly clear what prompted Plata to seek a move. I just hope it's a loan, because he's good enough and young enough to still contribute to the team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Plata wasn't playing regularly under Winter because of form, but under Mariner he is totally marginalized. He has no place in the formation Mariner is using. It's abundandtly clear what prompted Plata to seek a move. I just hope it's a loan, because he's good enough and young enough to still contribute to the team.
    How do we actually KNOW that Plata wasn't playing "just due to lack of form"?

I don't agree that Plata has no place in Mariner's formation. Plata is excellent at tracking back and working for the team, as Mariner has set out. Avila has played that roll well, and I believe Plata can as well.

I honestly think there is more to all this than we know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Mariner believes what he says that the players dictate the system, I don't think this is true. Many 4-4-2s have a target man and a quicker more technical player to play off of.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by derko View Post
    some more possible sighning news would keep me interested, what a gong show.

gong show indeed

“you guys have seen rumours floating around. That’s what they are,” team executive earl cochrane said on saturday. “plata, today, is a toronto fc player ... We’ve toyed with the idea and we’re continuing to think about whether we loan him out.”
    “at the beginning, i did not want to give up because (toronto) wanted me to stay,” plata told vive deporte, an online spanish publication. “i told them that i wanted to return to (ecuador) and with them things are well ... I come to give everything to (ldu quito).”
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    If Mariner believes what he says that the players dictate the system, I don't think this is true. Many 4-4-2s have a target man and a quicker more technical player to play off of.
    He'd be worth a shot there for sure, but his strength isn't playing in the middle. One of the Spanish articles said Plata wasn't happy with the direction of the team. It doesn't take much to realize the formation doesn't play to his strengths.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think we forget this is a development league. Plata didn't dream of winning MLS Cups as a kid. He probably saw his future in big leagues and international competitions. As a footballer, Plata was more than happy to resign here in the offseason. He, as a 19-20 yr old had an opportunity to learn under Aron Winter. Something even JDG was ecstatic about when the announcement was made last year.

3 Months later, he's out. What's different?

Over the last month and a bit, the team is gone to a traditional model. If it that article reference's Plata not being happy with the direction of the team, who can blame him? He left his home country to learn skills to develop his career. Not chase down long balls.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'd be worth a shot there for sure, but his strength isn't playing in the middle. One of the Spanish articles said Plata wasn't happy with the direction of the team. It doesn't take much to realize the formation doesn't play to his strengths.
    He would be a hell of a lot better than Dunfield and JDG in the 2 wide position of the current 4-4-2! He's a better player than both, tracks back hard, and is a much better threat. If I were Mariner, I would LOVE to see what Plata could do in his formation!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He would be a hell of a lot better than Dunfield and JDG in the 2 wide position of the current 4-4-2! He's a better player than both, tracks back hard, and is a much better threat. If I were Mariner, I would LOVE to see what Plata could do in his formation!
    I'm not sure you watch him too closely. He has no positional sense whatsoever! That's less an issue where he's been playing, but midfielders have to play some defence. He rarely tracks back, and he can't win balls.
    Last edited by Canary10; 07-04-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I think we forget this is a development league. Plata didn't dream of winning MLS Cups as a kid. He probably saw his future in big leagues and international competitions. As a footballer, Plata was more than happy to resign here in the offseason. He, as a 19-20 yr old had an opportunity to learn under Aron Winter. Something even JDG was ecstatic about when the announcement was made last year.

3 Months later, he's out. What's different?

Over the last month and a bit, the team is gone to a traditional model. If it that article reference's Plata not being happy with the direction of the team, who can blame him? He left his home country to learn skills to develop his career. Not chase down long balls.

If this is the case, then I would love to see him leave! I want players here who want to play for TFC, who want to wear the red with pride. Not a player who was a lovechild of a coach and only wants to play for them! If you are correct, he definitely doesn't care about the city, the team, or its fans!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure you watch him too closely. He has no positional sense whatsoever! That's less an issue where he's been playing, but midfielders have to play some defence.
    I've watched him closely, for sure. A lot of people were applauding him last season FOR is defensive work, if you remember. He would often track back and HE would be the one tackling in a defensive position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've watched him closely, for sure. A lot of people were applauding him last season FOR is defensive work, if you remember. He would often track back and HE would be the one tackling in a defensive position.
    I agree with you on a lot of things, but this I don't at all. He was applauded for scoring goals and being a general nuisance to defenses around opposing boxes, not for his defensive work. If he played the outside mid of a 4-4-2 we would be losing a lot defensively. I'd sooner see him tried out in the middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this is the case, then I would love to see him leave! I want players here who want to play for TFC, who want to wear the red with pride. Not a player who was a lovechild of a coach and only wants to play for them! If you are correct, he definitely doesn't care about the city, the team, or its fans!
    You're saying that about the guy who is the face of TFC, all for his $50,000 salary.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You completely miss the point of a developmental league. You think Richard Eckersley gave up a shot at the Premiership to play for TFC because of a love affair with the team and the dream of an MLS Cup?

No.

He came here because his career was stalled and felt that by playing in a developmental league he could improve himself to the point that he can get a second shot at a top tier league.

The aspiration for any MLS team is to develop players to the point that they leave for bigger and better things. That is what will attract aspiring and hungry players.

Plata, looks like, he felt that staying here would be a step backwards in his career. Drop the crest and club bullshit and realize that for a player to conclude he can't develop here, for a developmental team in a developmental league with agents looking for developmental opportunities for their players, that's not a good thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    You completely miss the point of a developmental league. You think Richard Eckersley gave up a shot at the Premiership to play for TFC because of a love affair with the team and the dream of an MLS Cup?

No.

He came here because his career was stalled and felt that by playing in a developmental league he could improve himself to the point that he can get a second shot at a top tier league.

The aspiration for any MLS team is to develop players to the point that they leave for bigger and better things. That is what will attract aspiring and hungry players.

Plata, looks like, he felt that staying here would be a step backwards in his career. Drop the crest and club bullshit and realize that for a player to conclude he can't develop here, for a developmental team in a developmental league with agents looking for developmental opportunities for their players, that's not a good thing.
    I agree, and therefore he can gladly leave!

You don't see Ecks or Morgan, or Henry, or Hall - ALL young improving players, throwing their toys out of their pram right now, do you? They are all professionals and keep playing for their club until another (better) offer comes along.

If Plata is saying that he doesn't want to be here - that's fine - he should leave. And I don't care, we are better off without him if he doesn't want to play for OUR club!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're saying that about the guy who is the face of TFC, all for his $50,000 salary.
    I'm fairly sure Frings and Koev's are more a face of the club than Plata has bever been. Plata has had one good season at the club - but one season isn't a career. It's like saying Nana Attakora was face of the club for his one good season.

Plata needs to prove that he's a worthy player by keeping his head down, working hard, and playing for his team. I don't think other clubs are going to look at him, right now, and say "that's a player we need here" - seeing that he has had one good season, and a poor start to the next season, and then a willingness to leave his club at the first glance of change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm fairly sure Frings and Koev's are more a face of the club than Plata has bever been. Plata has had one good season at the club - but one season isn't a career. It's like saying Nana Attakora was face of the club for his one good season.

Plata needs to prove that he's a worthy player by keeping his head down, working hard, and playing for his team. I don't think other clubs are going to look at him, right now, and say "that's a player we need here" - seeing that he has had one good season, and a poor start to the next season, and then a willingness to leave his club at the first glance of change.
    Ha. Try telling that to the average fan.

Mariner said at the start it would be his way or the highway, so I'm not surprised you feel that way. Personally, writing the most creative and fastest player off the team at the age of 20 seems foolish, but I didn't take Mariner at face value when he said he'd fit the formation to the players.
    Last edited by Canary10; 07-04-2012 at 10:01 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha. Try telling that to the average fan.

Mariner said at the start it would be his way or the highway, so I'm not surprised you feel that way. Personally, writing the most creative and fastest player off the team at the age of 20 seems foolish, but I didn't take Mariner at face value when he said he'd fit the formation to the players.
    Good for you,because his "tweaking and playing the formation that will fit the players" is joke of the year.

from today's article in the sun:
    “It’s a work in progress,” head coach Paul Mariner said. “We’re a young back four, we’re changing the system, we’re trying to get our blocks and sometimes the guys just forget a little bit ... Like I said: All together.”
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Plata is saying that he doesn't want to be here - that's fine - he should leave. And I don't care, we are better off without him if he doesn't want to play for OUR club!
    Please show me where Plata is saying he doesn't want to be here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larson's Twitter: Mariner on signings: Looking at (players) who are ex-U.S. internationals and Canadian internationals. I watched the Honduras game closely.
    Mariner on signings: There's a number of Canada players. You always want to bring them home. A lot of very good Canadian players out there.

Who played against Honduras and was out of contract?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Larson's Twitter: Mariner on signings: Looking at (players) who are ex-U.S. internationals and Canadian internationals. I watched the Honduras game closely.
    Mariner on signings: There's a number of Canada players. You always want to bring them home. A lot of very good Canadian players out there.

Who played against Honduras and was out of contract?
    Looking down the Canadians lineup I don't see anyone who'd be available and interesting. A lot of the better players just signed new contracts.

For the Americans ... who knows? They'd go to allocation anyways, so to say we're "scouting" them is a bit of a crock of shit. We'll have to take or leave whatever comes our way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure you watch him too closely. He has no positional sense whatsoever! That's less an issue where he's been playing, but midfielders have to play some defence. He rarely tracks back, and he can't win balls.
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. I find him very overrated. His size and low centre of gravity, combined with decent-but-not-awe-inspiring foot skills, make him occasionally dangerous. But he's muscled off constantly, blows the dribble three out of four times, doesn't cross particularly well, and has trouble getting shots off in traffic.

Rohan Ricketts could occasionally dribble past a guy as well, and once scored two beauties in one game. I genuinely don't see too much difference between their on-field performances.