Page 15 of 89 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's amazing how you can go 20 years without hearing how these issues are a factor for the Jays, but a whole chorus of exquisite analysis, of how Canadian health care and cost of living, can go on here (this has happened numerous times before).

I guess this is how it goes when you are 0-8.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-18-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's amazing how you can go 20 years without hearing how these issues are a factor for the Jays, but a whole chorus of exquisite analysis, of how Canadian health care and cost of living, can go on here (this has happened numerous times before).

I guess this is how it goes when you are 0-8.
    the housing and health care thing don't really matter if you make million plus per year but if you're in MLS and you get something like 75-100k per year, it does matter
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    the housing and health care thing don't really matter if you make million plus per year but if you're in MLS and you get something like 75-100k per year, it does matter
    I just don't believe it's how these guys think, they're not wired that way. Whatever they make. With very rare exceptions.

Veterans play for the cash, but also, in the famous words of Laurent Robert, "to win, to play, and to enjoy". Here you get only one of the three.

If we were just a mediocre team, we're not talking about this.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    Exactly.......

I am not sure if we should read too much into Califf's remarks about not wanting to come here. I really don't think it has anything to do with the front office or coaching staff or city at all. In my opinion it has more to do that the team is 0-8. If I was a player about to get traded I wouldn't want to come to a team that was probably not going to make the playoffs.

He is an older player and probably wants to win now. Being on a team that is so young and inexperienced probably isn't his cup of tea.
    Totally disagree. He probably wants to avoid the shit show that is the ownership and front office and that has been on display relentlessly for 6 consecutive years more then anything.

Someone in the twitterverse should ask him... assuming he tweets that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    JDG's contract or no cap space are just poor excuses.It is so easy to go around that,look what Chicago did with Friedrich,200K this year because of cap limitation,but next year 600-800 K and DP status.

TFC can do the same,sign the player in July give him whatever your cap can afford, even if it's minimum salary for this year and big $$$ for next year or two.
    I've read about this solution several times but unless I'm mistaken (and in this case) Chicago didn't have 3 DPs when they did this deal. A FO can't send that message to any of their DPs mid season: sorry buddy, you're gone next year for this guy we're bringing in now at a temporary lower salary. That's a perfect way to make for dressing room unease and very unengaged DPs that you're paying a lot of money for. I'd say it's a fan's solution but not a possibility in the real world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I've read about this solution several times but unless I'm mistaken (and in this case) Chicago didn't have 3 DPs when they did this deal. A FO can't send that message to any of their DPs mid season: sorry buddy, you're gone next year for this guy we're bringing in now at a temporary lower salary. That's a perfect way to make for dressing room unease and very unengaged DPs that you're paying a lot of money for. I'd say it's a fan's solution but not a possibility in the real world.
    Exactly what i was thinking, but i do have the sense that they have talked to JDG's future with TFC in some way.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Oh yes you can,when your 1.9mil DP underperformed for 3 years you can do WTF you want to do it.Do you really think JDG does not know he is done on January 1.2103?
    Only way for him to stay with TFC will be as a none DP(200K salary),so if they want to sign a player who will help this team starting July15.2012,than go for it,who gives a f*%k how JDG feels about it.

And it is not a fan solution,Chicago did it and TFC is looking into that too,with few other clubs not exploring the same solution for going trough the cap loophole.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yes you can,when your 1.9mil DP underperformed for 3 years you can do WTF you want to do it.Do you really think JDG does not know he is done on January 1.2103?
    Only way for him to stay with TFC will be as a none DP(200K salary),so if they want to sign a player who will help this team starting July15.2012,than go for it,who gives a f*%k how JDG feels about it.

And it is not a fan solution,Chicago did it and TFC is looking into that too,with few other clubs not exploring the same solution for going trough the cap loophole.
    I'm lost. how did Chicago 'did it'?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you really think JDG does not know he is done on January 1.2103?
    I think all of our players will be done in 2103.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm lost. how did Chicago 'did it'?
    Because of no cap space for this year Chicago signed Friedrich for 2 years where he will earn non DP money I think somewhere around 200K in 2012,and than next year 2013 he will get I think 800K DP status and so on.

In other words,TFC can sign a player for 40K this July,and give him 1,2 ,5 mil next year,once JDG contract expires.JDG knows he can get big $$ in MLS after this year,so he will aether stay for cheap or go back to Europe.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

I don't know WTF is going on with me today morning,first I wrote Sunday instead of Saturday in the news thread and now I JDG is staying here until 2103.It must be long weekend.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because of no cap space for this year Chicago signed Friedrich for 2 years where he will earn non DP money I think somewhere around 200K in 2012,and than next year 2013 he will get I think 800K DP status and so on.

In other words,TFC can sign a player for 40K this July,and give him 1,2 ,5 mil next year,once JDG contract expires.JDG knows he can get big $$ in MLS after this year,so he will aether stay for cheap or go back to Europe.
    do you have a source? I know Barros Schelotto's contract was incentive laden so that he did eventually reach DP status, but not straight up what you're talking about

Though IIRC Whitecaps did a reverse of this with Chiumiento's salary. Paid him heavily in USL, and his first year in MLS his cap hit was low

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you have a source? I know Barros Schelotto's contract was incentive laden so that he did eventually reach DP status, but not straight up what you're talking about

Though IIRC Whitecaps did a reverse of this with Chiumiento's salary. Paid him heavily in USL, and his first year in MLS his cap hit was low
    Source from Chicago,yes 100%,if TFC will do the same no,one can only hope they will,but I doubt it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might be technically possible but probably only advisable if a club is in Chicago's situation. No cap space and 3 DPs - one of which will, yes, probably be gone but is currently playing well and extremely useful if the club continues this attacking play - is a different story. It would be a Mo-like thing to do. You get a player but sour the man management which then leads to a certain degree of poor play overall. Just my opinion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Based on this seasons performance one could argue that many of these players were done in 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why can't we front load DP contracts? Pay them their fully salary for several years in one year, then give them an extension for a low salary almost right away. Also I'm sure that MLS is desperate enough to see a winning team here that they would happily let us get away with it and might even help us out to pull it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as per john molinaro tweet:

John Molinaro@JohnMolinaroI'm not kidding folks. Boa Morte is on trial and training with #TFC today.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luis Boa Morte is on trial at Toronto FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That's interesting. My cat's named after him....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boa Morte is not the player he used to be at Fulham and West Ham, but if he's willing to sign a non DP contract, he should be able to bolster our anemic attack. He must be desperate if he's trialing with TFC.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 05-22-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boa Morte?

He was ok in his day - I remember having him in my fantasy pool team when he was a West Ham player for a while!

But, he never scored enough goals in my opinion. And at 34, he's probably lost his legs a little, he was speedy at one point in time.

We need an alternative to Koev's, not a player who is similar age and probably similar speed nowadays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 goals in 91 apps @ West Ham from 07 to 11. No pro goals since.

His strike rate is still better than RJ9's I bet.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I really wanna know: can he play CB?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BOA MORTE Translation in English GOOD DEATH....How Ironic (death to this season).....I have never heard or scene him play CB more midfield, However teams always have players on trial eg KIKI MUSAMPA...LOL!

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/soccer/ps...ates-1.1296552

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...am-forest.html

http://www.thenewage.co.za/blogdetai...6&blog_id=2317
    Last edited by tfcmanu; 05-22-2012 at 12:40 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/sport/2...s-pirates-ship

Seems Boa Morte has a petulance fit at not being picked for games and left

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to Europe? He still trying to make a go of it as an olive picker in some Spanish farm, cause nobody on the planet would pay him to kick a soccer ball again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    Luis Boa Morte is on trial at Toronto FC
    Good player. Don't know if he has the legs for a starter at his age, but a good two-way midfielder, plays best wide but is OK up the middle, too. Was a good goal scorer for Fulham when they were coming up.

To me, he's a better wide left option that Joao Plata, but also can play centrally and is smart, so might be better used to get Dunfield off the pitch.

We need a centre back and a left wingback. Henry looks the real deal so far, but Cann isn't good enough to start, not sure Morgan is either, great work ethic but makes some naive decisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/sport/2...s-pirates-ship

Seems Boa Morte has a petulance fit at not being picked for games and left
    Coach didn't put him immediately back in after an injury and they only had two games left in the season, so the timing made sense for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was told by a guy with good Fire sources that there is no DP bump-up in Friedrich's contract, just his upfront money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck this, if Boa Morte gets signed then someone needs to be fired on top of Aron Winter. I don't want another JDG type contract strangling this team.

Winter needs to work within the MLS cap and find a way to get regular players who don't have a huge salary hit.