Page 43 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 2645
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets be honest about this, there's a significant element of soccer fans in this city who would rather see TFC lose with an Italian/Dutch/Spanish/Portuguese coach than win with with an English coach. The rampant Anglphobia that exists amongst TFC fans would never be accepted if it was directed at any other nationality.

If the rumours are true please god let Del Piero come

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    If true - wow. Del Piero is the kind of signing that would make a lot of sense for TFC from a commercial perspective. They would sell a lot of seasons if they signed him. I went to the Juve friendly and it seemed like 20,000 people showed up just to see him.
    Would be kind of awesome in all aspects, good for the fans and FO.. I would love to see him play just in behind Danny K..
    Last edited by DaBandit; 07-12-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    If true - wow. Del Piero is the kind of signing that would make a lot of sense for TFC from a commercial perspective. They would sell a lot of seasons if they signed him. I went to the Juve friendly and it seemed like 20,000 people showed up just to see him.
    I was there as well, it was a decent game all said and done.

That being said, despite being perhaps my favorite player of all time, I question whether this signing makes any sense in MLS. The words Alex Del Piero and durability don't exactly go to together well these days.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Kingsriver View Post
    Lets be honest about this, there's a significant element of soccer fans in this city who would rather see TFC lose with an Italian/Dutch/Spanish/Portuguese coach than win with with an English coach. The rampant Anglphobia that exists amongst TFC fans would never be accepted if it was directed at any other nationality.

Meh. The travails of diversity, my friend. I'm of the attitude that with this game we'll see coaches, players from all walks of football life. I don't fancy an entire team of any one persuasion for eternity. Different influences from different backgrounds and cultures should be welcome in a landscape such as ours.

I don't see Anglophobia. I see people hoping a lot to see different backgrounds and influences they feel closer to. That's fine as long as it doesn't turn to resentment.

Talent's talent.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I was there as well, it was a decent game all said and done.

That being said, despite being perhaps my favorite player of all time, I question whether this signing makes any sense in MLS. The words Alex Del Piero and durability don't exactly go to together well these days.
    Neither does Durability + Alessandro Nesta.

ADP would be insane. Who needs defense when he and Koev score every game.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Kingsriver View Post

Rampant Anglophobia ? Really ?

Is there evidence of this, or is this just the term you're applying to anyone who would like to see TFC take more of a continental approach to the game ?
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want someone like Sergio Ramos! MLSE has the $$$, he won't be out injured all the time and has 10
    years in him.

If not Ramos, someone like him, under 30 and a stud!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    I want someone like Sergio Ramos! MLSE has the $$$, he won't be out injured all the time and has 10
    years in him.

If not Ramos, someone like him, under 30 and a stud!
    I hope your joking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Seriously. If it's a quality Spanish defender you want, why take Ramos when you can get the real thing in Pique? Bonus: Shakira!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signing Del Piero would be irresponsible and wouldn't fit the team at all.
    That means Ryan Johnson would be dropped and our defence would be no better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner sheds some light on the recent flurry of roster activity. Make of it what you will...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ster-plata-did

TORONTO – Joao Plata will get a chance to continue his development as a player, and Toronto FC will get some roster and cap space for this season.
    That was purpose of the six-month loan deal with Plata’s former club Quito in his native Ecuador, completed officially on Wednesday after a sticky situation put the 20-year-old forward’s future with the club in doubt.

Plata’s left Toronto for Ecuador after the team’s game with the New York Red Bulls on June 30, before the deal was made official. He also took to Twitter to publicize his desire to return home.

“Do I want to take a hard line, of course I do,” TFC head coach Paul Mariner (above) said at training on Tuesday. “But he’s a [20-year-old] kid who has been ill-advised by a couple of people. I don’t want to throw the blame at people, but there’s a certain etiquette of going about your business. Major League Soccer and Toronto Football Club, we don’t go about our business in the way that was conducted.”

Toronto are hoping the move will help create room to acquire a player to fill a more immediate need, like an experienced center back. Then, the club hopes, Plata could return to them in January to prepare for next season.

“As you know, he was on the squad that was going to Dallas and Philly because the deal wasn’t done,” Mariner said. “[There are] extenuating circumstances about why we’re doing it. We need to develop him and he needed to go back to his home land and his home club to come back to us in January a better player. And then we can open some cap money up. That was the reason. It was nothing other than that.”

TFC also parted ways by mutual agreement on Wednesday with forward Nick Soolsma. He was one of three Reds players charged on June 18 with public intoxication in Houston.

“Obviously it had a little bit to do with it,” Mariner said after the team’s 3-2 win over Vancouver on Wednesday. “But it was everything. Just mutual agreement. We had a discussion with him, just a short discussion, and it was best for both parties.”

Soolsma appeared in nine games with the club this season after 23 appearances last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there’s a certain etiquette of going about your business. Major League Soccer and Toronto Football Club, we don’t go about our business in the way that was conducted.
    Yes we all know how professional the fellows running this club have always been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happened to the tweak? When Mariner was introduced to the media he said Toronto needed stability more than anything due to the number of players that have come and gone over the past 6 years. He didn't want to change much, just a tweak. And now the team is back to changing the whole roster again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    What happened to the tweak? When Mariner was introduced to the media he said Toronto needed stability more than anything due to the number of players that have come and gone over the past 6 years. He didn't want to change much, just a tweak. And now the team is back to changing the whole roster again.
    I wouldn't go that far. The bulk of the core of the roster remains unscathed at this point.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. The bulk of the core of the roster remains unscathed at this point.
    True,at this point.

Before overhauls happens in off season,now in the middle,with finishing touches in the off season,definitely new approach by TFC FO
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Rene Kingsriver;1510743]Lets be honest about this, there's a significant element of soccer fans in this city who would rather see TFC lose with an Italian/Dutch/Spanish/Portuguese coach than win with with an English coach. The rampant Anglphobia that exists amongst TFC fans would never be accepted if it was directed at any other nationality.

If the rumours are true please god let Del Piero come [/QUOTE

English managers can win?
    As Tobor mentioned, I think it has more to do with the style of play. The continental game is far more attractive and the game of the present. The 1980's UK Style is a dead type of football for a lot of people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    And that's a bad thing how?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/es/news/art...-de-toronto-fc

More indication of mismanagement at the club?

"I did not decide to come [to Ecuador] and it wasn't like I did whatever I wanted," Plata told FutbolMLS.com in an exclusive interview from Ecuador. "There was always an agreement and a respect. There was a schedule on where and when I was arriving [at LDUQ] and I did everything according to the plan."
    For Plata, there was a clear missunderstanding of the situation, as he thought that everything was resolved in Toronto before he left.
    "I wasn't playing in the last four games and I think that when they knew that I was going to Liga, then they wanted to call me up [to the squad], but I had already spoken to my agent," he said. "I have never been a bad person with Toronto; with all the fans and all the club officials I have always been a very respectful person and I wouldn't want them to be annoyed because my representative spoke to MLS and MLS agreed."
    Poor communication from the club?

Plata revealed that he never had a conversation with new TFC manager Paul Mariner before his exit and he said he was surprised to hear of Mariner's reaction in the media when he learned that the 20-year-old was returning to Ecuador.
    "I've never dealt with Mariner," Plata said. "He has his mentality and I have my own. I have never spoken with him and I don't know why he expressed himself this way about me. I heard about it and it made me laugh. I have never lacked in respect for him and I don't want that they lack it toward me.
    How does Mariner not have a single conversation with Plata???

"The people that I am most grateful to is the fans," Plata continued. "Before I left I cried because they were always like a family and I want to tell them that if I have to apologize to them, I apologize. I hope to return because the way they love me is how I love them."
    Can't wait to have you return Plata!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Fuck that really pisses me off. The club has history of fuck ups around this stuff so it's not surprising. How Cochrane has a job is beyond me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, i was just going to post this. if it's the FO vs. the players.. fuck me.. the shoe fits and i believe plata.
    it really says something when the bulk of players that leave have horrible things to say about your club, only to have your front office turn around (and in many cases fire the first shot) about how it's all the players fault.

mannnnnnn.. good luck to plata.
    i hope to see him in red again.

here's what i think his reaction was when he read the comments:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure ANY of us fans can judge the Plata situation as we don't know all the details. I don't really have anythign to say other than he seemed a tallented player last year (didn't show it this year tho) so its a pity he's gone. But I can't judge the club/plata/the mls as I don't have enough info, and would be making assumptions if I were to judge anything at all!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    ^ Fuck that really pisses me off. The club has history of fuck ups around this stuff so it's not surprising. How Cochrane has a job is beyond me.
    His official title as per the TFC website is Director of Team and Player Operations. I would assume he is in charge of relaying these types of messages to the players no? And he has been around the longest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Del Piero fans realize this guy turns 38 in November right? Also, scoring goals doesn't seem to be an issue at present.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cochrane and Anselmi secretly doing it? Why the fuck does this idiot have a job? He's single handedly doing everything in his power to make this club a huge fucking joke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    no problems there......RJ would be a great first option off the bench to sub in for Koev or Del Piero (or another) at a position where we have precisely zip, zero, zilch as an alternative at the moment.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    no problems there......RJ would be a great first option off the bench to sub in for Koev or Del Piero (or another) at a position where we have precisely zip, zero, zilch as an alternative at the moment.......
    Better yet, put him back out on the wing were he is better suited anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@jasondevos Mariner - "More than 1 defender coming in."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I'm not sure ANY of us fans can judge the Plata situation as we don't know all the details. I don't really have anythign to say other than he seemed a tallented player last year (didn't show it this year tho) so its a pity he's gone. But I can't judge the club/plata/the mls as I don't have enough info, and would be making assumptions if I were to judge anything at all!
    I agree with this.. Plata looked good last year, but this year not so much.. it seemed like all defenders knew his game, and he became too predictable. I hope he learns some new trick in the next 6 months, but i highly doubt we ever see him in a TFC uniform again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaBandit View Post
    Better yet, put him back out on the wing were he is better suited anyways.
    well we don't really have "wingers" anymore.......wide midfielders, yes, but if a player comes in that would relegate RJ to the bench, he'd probably be best coming in to replace a forward.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    @jasondevos Mariner - "More than 1 defender coming in."
    Not a fan of this because of the timing.

Looking at the big picture, the season is essentially over. What better time to let the kids take their lumps to see if they can improve?

This is the perfect situation to develop some of our younger talent, yet this short sighted organization is more interested in fixing the present regardless how unimportant that might be.

Doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather spend this season evaluating our youth, and then bring in reinforcements in the off season once we have a more complete picture of what they can and can't do.