Page 47 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 2645
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    If TFC sign Mellberg, it won't even be his first time at BMO Field.

Mellberg was on Aston Villa when they played TFC in 2007. Played the first half of the friendly (had to look it up).
    That was an awesome game. The crowd was voracious and loud as hell and John Carew (if I remember correctly) saluted the crowd by clapping his right hand against the soccer ball in appreciation to a chorus of boos just after scoring a goal.... great game to watch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    That was an awesome game. The crowd was voracious and loud as hell and John Carew (if I remember correctly) saluted the crowd by clapping his right hand against the soccer ball in appreciation to a chorus of boos just after scoring a goal.... great game to watch.
    Yes.

It also featured one of the rarest occurrences, an Andrea Lombardo goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as Mellberg (if signed) contributes more in the DP slot than De Guzman did, we're better off.

I like the idea of a world class mentor back there to the kids. What's up with Dicoy? He was promising and not slow. Pair him up with Mellberg to negate the slowness. He's green, I know, but could be directed by Mellberg. Great learning experience. Then just as Mellberg is about to retire, Dicoy would be maturing and ready to lead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if Williams is hurt again. He didn't even make a shortened bench on Wednesday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LesH View Post
    "how about we sign him till the end of the season on a DP contract with 1.5 years worth of salary, then sign him to a modest wage next year. My personal feelings about this is if we`re going to go after an ancient CB, why didn`t we go after Nesta who was willing to sign for less than DP money"

Hmmm, you have a good point here...
    Nesta hasn't been playing anywhere near as much as Mellberg. Mallberg played most of last season, AND they wanted to give him another contract. Nesta is on the way out, whereas Mellberg still seems to have his legs and can play a full season. I would take Mellberg playing a full season over Nesta playing every other game any day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah Melbeard... helps the pain go away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if Mellberg is the solution to the team or even worthy of the DP spot, but hopefully everything works out. I think MLSE is trying to bring in a major talent so we sign up for more season tickets but he doesnt work out and he uses our salary to much and blocks us from signing new talent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thorsten Fink
    "It is like [Otto] Rehhagel said: 'It doesn't matter whether young or old; what matters is good or not good.'"
    The trick is to be prudent with the terms of the contract in which you offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    and you wonder why expats don't like Canadians, it's crap like this spouted by someone who has been watching football for 2-3 yrs. we are crying out for a quality centre back, then next a centre mid. Seriously getting really pissed off with the shite Canadians talk about a sport they know vey little about, stick to hockey guys
    Wow, that was rather pointed, Don't Broad Brush all Expats as snobs and all Canadians as uneducated in Football, Why don't you try to educate instead of coming across as a snob (where in England are you from, doesn't sound like the North to me) , from an 'expat' whom rather likes Canadians is not a snob and is very well educated.

Yes we are in need of a quality Centre-Back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Wow, that was rather pointed, Don't Broad Brush all Expats as snobs and all Canadians as uneducated in Football, Why don't you try to educate instead of coming across as a snob (where in England are you from, doesn't sound like the North to me) , from an 'expat' whom rather likes Canadians is not a snob and is very well educated.

Yes we are in need of a quality Centre-Back.

wouldn't worry about it, There is a portion of the "fans" on this board who hate everyone.

As a multi generational Canadian that knew nothing about the game prior to 2007 (well I knew how to play) I can say we never should have gotten rid of Nick Garcia.. he was awesome... :P

But seriously, I'm more ok with signing a 6 month DP contract with an option for a another year, to a Defender from a top level who is fit, and is 33-35 but it should be with the intent to shore up the back now, and help provide leadership for the younger boys. I'd love to see Henry continue to get some time, and Ecks get converted to the Centre with the helps of the likes of McKenna or Melberg. That gives speed, leadership, a little flexibility, and helps develop multiple young guys. Lets us use Williams, Cann, Harden, and Ecks in the CB roll, and still allows Ecks to get play on the wing when you want more play from there. It's good for long term development. To me anyway.

Would I prefer a 28 year old.. sure.. but lets face it, there are several positions today that are having guys play in them much longer then in the past.

At the same time. People who say.. well I'd like McKenna but not as a DP... lets face some realism. Guys playing in Europe, making twice what top none DPs make in MLS, are not going to take a 50%+ pay cut to play here. If getting a strong CB on a DP salary of 650-800k that will help develop the kids in the back into better players, and provide us with 3-4 Defenders preforming like guys 3-5 years older... while freeing up Frings to actually play through the centre rather then baby sitting the kids all the time, then that is well worth the investment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some added information courtesy of the author of the goal.com article:

Keith Hickey ‏@usarsnl I've been told that If Mellberg signs for ‪#TFC, he will not count as a DP this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More info:

Keith Hickey
    @usarsnl
    I've just heard that the Mellberg to TFC deal is DONE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    More info:

Keith Hickey
    @usarsnl
    I've just heard that the Mellberg to TFC deal is DONE
    Nothing like a win to show the teams character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    Nothing like a win to show the teams character.
    Bad timing now that koevs is probably out long term as id rather we score a goal or two game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvistheEvilScotsman View Post
    Bad timing now that koevs is probably out long term as id rather we score a goal or two game.
    If we do our homework maybe we can get oleg deal done and a south american striker on the cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found more info from Kurt Larson on possible Olaf Mellberg and Kevin Mckenna signings with TFC:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/14...llberg-mckenna

Could this change now with Kovermans injury, I hope not. We need both of these players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they could look to central america for a striker. Honduras seems produce a lot "power forward" types. We wouldn't land someone to fill the scoring void but we could find someone to fulfill DK's physical roll. Additionally, they could look to lower league English football for a player to fulfill DK's physical roll, but I think the heat would mitigate their effectiveness. Maybe we could land Georgie Welcome on loan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    I think they could look to central america for a striker. Honduras seems produce a lot "power forward" types. We wouldn't land someone to fill the scoring void but we could find someone to fulfill DK's physical roll. Additionally, they could look to lower league English football for a player to fulfill DK's physical roll, but I think the heat would mitigate their effectiveness. Maybe we could land Georgie Welcome on loan?
    Georgie Welcome would be a solid pick up, but I dont think Paul Mariner likes the foreigners that dont speak English. He's trying to make his mark this year.

Rumour is Vancouver is going for Kenny Miller from Cardiff as a DP.

Update: I just looked up my favorite giant striker and it looks like he's available, Morike Sako, who has played for Rochdale, St.Pauli, Bielefield.
    Last edited by [NBF]; 07-14-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    Costly is available I believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what I do... Grab two players from lower leagues, one who's scored a lot of goals, in this case Tihomir Maletic from the CSL, and one power forward type (I know they don't really use that term in football) and cross your fingers. Jonathan Tahoue is available, he had his moments at Leyton Orient.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Andy Carroll could come on loan?
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ It'll never happen, but he'd fit in perfectly in terms of the void left by DK (assuming he's out for a while). Not that I'm pulling for DK to miss many matches, but if that is the case it will be interesting to see what they do.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    Found more info from Kurt Larson on possible Olaf Mellberg and Kevin Mckenna signings with TFC:

Could this change now with Kovermans injury, I hope not. We need both of these players.
    That's what I reported too...Toronto FC was in negotiations/had interest in Kevin McKenna.

I apologize for any misunderstandings along the way, but that was my primary message - Kurt Larson confirms what I heard yesterday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to think if Kovermans is out long term Mariner needs to get a backup striker to partner Johnson. You can go with Johnson up top with Silva behind him as #10 for the Colorado game, but they need a forward for the rest of the season. Wish we had Alan Gordon. Perfect substitute. Was thinking of someone like San Jose's Steven Lenhart. San Jose have a lot of forwards.

http://www.sjearthquakes.com/players/steven-lenhart

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to think if Kovermans is out long term Mariner needs to get a backup striker to partner Johnson. You can go with Johnson up top with Silva behind him as #10 for the Colorado game, but they need a forward for the rest of the season. Wish we had Alan Gordon. Perfect substitute. Was thinking of someone like San Jose's Steven Lenhart. San Jose have a lot of forwards.

oh god. not Big Bird! effective MLS striker, but he dives and whines almost as bad as Schelotto
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need someone who will score goals, Johnson is not a target forward. We need someone to complement him. I don't care who. It was an example of a scoring target forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it is uncoventional but it is not entirely unheard of to put one of your CB's in a targetman striker role. Mainly because they have strength and possibly hold the ball up. If Koevs is out for the season i suspect were going to play Johnson alone up top, though he must be dead tired from all the games he has played so far.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-15-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any know what is up with Makubuya? He had been scoring goals with the reserves but it seems that Mariner would rather have a shortened bench then dress someone like him or Cordon. The team is pretty desperate for forwards right now and if they don't bring anyone in why not give Keith a chance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mellberg and McKenna would comprise one of the best central defence pairings in the league. Fingers crossed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was thinking of someone like San Jose's Steven Lenhart. San Jose have a lot of forwards.

I would find it extremely difficult to cheer for TFC week in week out with Lenhart in the lineup. Guy is a top 3 twat in the league.