Results 2,491 to 2,520 of 2645
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Amerikwa?

O'Dea will hopefully come in at the half.

Emory isn't going to get a game soon though. Or Henry.
    this is my worry if we screw up henry, a sure local 'star' in need of field time then we are really stupid,...plain and simple...or morgan for that matter....btw off topic loved how huston after dominating ny tonight , the players were discussing how their 4-3-3,..was very effective and enjoyable...and obviously showing them great renewed success,..ot seems winter wasn't far off,...in theory
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Hall gives way for Ecks to move the RB. Emory remains. That's my prediction.

Hall may be moved to midfield.
    why now? when we should have had him there all the while exchanging with Henry??
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think I may be the only one who thinks Eckersley has been playing better as of late at CB than he was at RB. For me, he is showing a lot of improvement positionally now. Still gets caught out but far less than before.
    Nope, I am TOTALLY there with you, he is amazing at CB and if we can get Henry proper mentor he will be a beast.

I think at this rate TFC may have best back line in MLS.

PM obviously wants to win both now AND in the future.

I think he rocks, who else is kicking a ball around with their boys before a game, still waiting for him to cross the touch line during a game!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Ha ha, yes at this rate TFC may have the best back line in MLS sometime in the next 200 years. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, so far there are many MLS defensive lineups MUCH better than TFC. Hopefully O'Dea can help, Doneil can grow, etc and things will get better.

BTW, isn't it pronounced "O'Dee"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guys! who gives a crap about Mellberg, we signed friggin Darren O'Dea!!! Let's celebrate that our roster is actually improving!!!

p.s wasting intl' slots on Dutch 4th Division guys like Soolsma just shows how poor Winter managed his roster. mariner is the 'bawss'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    guys! who gives a crap about Mellberg, we signed friggin Darren O'Dea!!! Let's celebrate that our roster is actually improving!!!

p.s wasting intl' slots on Dutch 4th Division guys like Soolsma just shows how poor Winter managed his roster. mariner is the 'bawss'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soolsma was a great find. Who played poorly in his first match, and then began to grow an understanding of the league defenders and had no problem beating them many times. He also had no problem finding Danny Koev' in the box game after game. Not to mention his goal away in LA to send us into the semi-finals. If you're going to mention poor Winter signings try something like Eddy Viator, Elbekay Bouchiba, Javier Martina or Leandre Griffit & Andy Iro.

Anyways on-topic, well who are we kidding, not expecting much more on-topic discussion since signings are probably all finished for the year for us.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guys! who gives a crap about Mellberg, we signed friggin Darren O'Dea!!! Let's celebrate that our roster is actually improving!!
    Let's give him a few games before we start thinking he's "THE ANSWER" to TFC's defensive woes. Everybody who's been brought in for years have been touted as the solution. I'm not buying any of it. IF he's still good and IF he can successfully make the transition to MLS and IF he actually cares to play (unlike Laurent Robert), and IF those "character issues" that we've already heard of don't get in the way, and IF he meshes well with the team, then MAYBE there is a solution coming. Drinking the ML$E Koolaid, however is most certainly NOT helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind the O'Dea signing, but we'll see how it goes. They can evaluate him for the rest of the year and then decide what to do next year. They obviously need one more CB, McKenna would be a great pick, but all options should be kept open to find someone younger. If they can clear some cap space soon, I wouldn't mind if they signed half of that Honduran Olympic team. Smarter MLS franchises have already been snapping those guys up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Narcotic View Post
    I don't mind the O'Dea signing, but we'll see how it goes. They can evaluate him for the rest of the year and then decide what to do next year. They obviously need one more CB, McKenna would be a great pick, but all options should be kept open to find someone younger. If they can clear some cap space soon, I wouldn't mind if they signed half of that Honduran Olympic team. Smarter MLS franchises have already been snapping those guys up.

unlikely, Honduras is in Central America, a part of the world TFC seems to think is a No-go area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if this team has burned bridges with the central american countries in some way? Or is it that the team expects these people to be slaves and play for peanuts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updated info on Paul Robinson to TFC:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/7970590

Sky Sports understands former Bolton Wanderers defender Paul Robinson has travelled to Canada to hold talks over a move to Toronto FC.
    Robinson is available on a free transfer after leaving Bolton at the end of last season and Sky Sports revealed last week that he has emerged as a target for Toronto.
    The Major League Soccer club's coach, and former England international, Paul Mariner is keen to make the 33-year-old his latest recruit.
    Mariner last week agreed a deal to sign ex-Celtic defender Darren O'Dea, who was on loan with Robinson at Leeds United last season.
    Robinson is now exploring the possibility of continuing his career in the MLS after heading to Canada to discuss a deal.
    However, it is understood that the experienced left-back is also the subject of interest from clubs back in England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Molinaro@JohnMolinaro3 guys on trial with #TFC today: English defender Paul Robinson, Mexican defender Diego Cervantes and Bermudan forward Antwan Russell.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

More trialists as per Molinaro

English defender Paul Robinson - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ro...cember_1978%29
    Mexican defender Diego Cervantes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Alberto_Cervantes
    Bermudan forward Antwan Russell - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antwan_Russell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post

English defender Paul Robinson - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Robinson_(footballer_born_December_1978)
    Mexican defender Diego Cervantes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Alberto_Cervantes
    A 26 year old Bermudan that has never played for a club off the island? This Bermuda love affair is getting a little ridiculous, pushing the edges of insanity even.

Why are we picking up junk roster fillers and not giving the young guys already signed (Makayuba, Stinson, Cordon) a chance? I would rather see Stinson given time at forward then Amerikwa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    A 26 year old Bermudan that has never played for a club off the island? This Bermuda love affair is getting a little ridiculous, pushing the edges of insanity even.

Why are we picking up junk roster fillers and not giving the young guys already signed (Makayuba, Stinson, Cordon) a chance? I would rather see Stinson given time at forward then Amerikwa.

An unfettered pipeline into the vast reservoir of Bermudan footballing talent is exactly what this club always needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post

Agreed.

#FireMarinerandco

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Really? Atleast you would think he can light up that semi-pro league. Were fucking doomed if these guys are being even looked at, they have no upside and our academy players are better.
    Agreed.

#FireMarinerandco
    Last edited by TFC07; 08-08-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? Atleast you would think he can light up that semi-pro league. Were fucking doomed if these guys are being even looked at, they have no upside and our academy players are better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's nothing wrong with getting trialists. All football clubs have all types of trialists all the time, in every league in the world. It doesn't mean that we are going to actually sign any of them! It just means a kid wants to show his talents, and we get to see if he's worth signing of not. Good on the kid, and good on the club for taking a look. You never know, you might just strike gold with a trialist occassionally!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But why waste time and resources bringing in guys you don't plan on signing? I'm thinking of the Bermudan.

That money can be used elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lemark Hernández no longer on trial with TFC:

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro The Costa Rican defender Hernandez no longer in trial with #TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But why waste time and resources bringing in guys you don't plan on signing? I'm thinking of the Bermudan.

That money can be used elsewhere.
    I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe the purpose of bringing them in is to accurately determine if they are worth signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Agreed.

#FireMarinerandco

EDIT:

Agreed.

#FireMarinerandco
    I wonder, has a manager in professional football ever been fired after leading his club to an overall record of 5-4-4 to start his tenure?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I wonder, has a manager in professional football ever been fired after leading his club to an overall record of 5-4-4 to start his tenure?

So are we counting CCL and VCUP when referring to a managers record? Because when anyone refers to Winter's record it's always 1-9 with not mention of cup matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    So are we counting CCL and VCUP when referring to a managers record? Because when anyone refers to Winter's record it's always 1-9 with not mention of cup matches.
    Allow me to rephrase...

I wonder, has a manager in professional football ever been fired after leading his club to a record of 4-4-4 in league play and 1-0-0 in Champions League to start his tenure?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Melberg signs with Villareal, one yr deal. TFC aside, i honestly think he would have been better served to stick with Olympiacos and Champions League football for another season (even at reduced wages).

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe the purpose of bringing them in is to accurately determine if they are worth signing.
    If you read what I wrote, I said why bring someone in if you're not going to sign them?

I mean I don't see anything in Russell's resume that says he is worthy of a signing. CSL teams get better players than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you read what I wrote, I said why bring someone in if you're not going to sign them?

I mean I don't see anything in Russell's resume that says he is worthy of a signing. CSL teams get better players than that.
    MLS clubs (and clubs in professional leagues around the world for that matter) routinely bring in players on trial, many of whom don't impress enough to earn a contract with the senior team.

As for Russell, maybe you're right, but maybe you're not. There's only one way to find out, by observing him in person. A player's resume doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

Look at guys like Soolsma (I wish he decided to remain with the club) and Lambe. They had unremarkable resumes and ended up being fairly good players by MLS standards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allow me to rephrase...

I wonder, has a manager in professional football ever been fired after leading his club to a record of 4-4-4 in league play and 1-0-0 in Champions League to start his tenure?
    What was Kenny's record last year?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS clubs (and clubs in professional leagues around the world for that matter) routinely bring in players on trial, many of whom don't impress enough to earn a contract with the senior team.

As for Russell, maybe you're right, but maybe you're not. There's only one way to find out, by observing him in person. A player's resume doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

Look at guys like Soolsma (I wish he decided to remain with the club) and Lambe. They had unremarkable resumes and ended up being fairly good players by MLS standards.