View Poll Results: Would you like to see more games played at Rogers Centre?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It's a good venue that can accomodate a lot more fans

72 29.39%
  • No - BMO Field is our home, and we should be playing all games there

57 23.27%
  • Maybe: We should try to use BMO Field as much as possible and Rogers Centre only as a last resort..

116 47.35%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCBarrie View Post
    This is not directed at anyone, but I don't understand the logic of having it Rogers for "big" games. Is BMO our home or not? If you answered yes, then you should never think a game should be held at Roger's center. Manchester United wouldn't play a Champions League quarter-final at wembley, scale that down as small as you want to any team in the world, teams should play their games in their homes, imho.
    i do think BMO should be home for just about every single game except the odd really big match (fianl- semi final examples) but they do play at wembley for Carling Cup and FA Cup....Championship, League 1 and League 2 finals and semi finals even in passed they even used stadiums like Villa Park and old trafford, and Manchester City home ground for big matches like those. Yes those were called neutral stadiums but really they were just trying to play big games in biggest possible stadiums, which isn't that far off actually then what TFC just did.
    Last edited by james; 03-09-2012 at 10:45 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Code Red View Post
    The only future games I'd like to see at the Rogers Centre would be the following:

1) MLS Cup Final (if we were ever to qualify)
    I thought the final was neutral site (as we hosted it 2 seasons ago?)

I think this event, as noted before, was a perfect storm for MLSE. 1 - they now own Rogers Centre (or at least one of their owners does), 2 - the date made it neccessary to play there, as BMO isn't winterized 3 - They were facing the only opponent that could easily sell the place out.

If it was any other CCL team, they may have had to close off the upper deck.

There were positives. The supporters owned that south end. With the massive banners and flags, the visual impact was stunning. However, I was in 116, and because of the shadows, and the fact that you seemed a mile away from the field, it did lack that sea of red feel that BMO brings.

I think it was great as a one-time event, to put TFC back on the map. I think the fans did a great job. But in the future, lets lobby for a winterized BMO and all further games played there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post

I think this event, as noted before, was a perfect storm for MLSE. 1 - they now own Rogers Centre (or at least one of their owners does), 2 - the date made it neccessary to play there, as BMO isn't winterized 3 - They were facing the only opponent that could easily sell the place out.

If it was any other CCL team, they may have had to close off the upper deck.

There were positives. The supporters owned that south end. With the massive banners and flags, the visual impact was stunning. However, I was in 116, and because of the shadows, and the fact that you seemed a mile away from the field, it did lack that sea of red feel that BMO brings.

I think it was great as a one-time event, to put TFC back on the map. I think the fans did a great job. But in the future, lets lobby for a winterized BMO and all further games played there.
    They changed it this year.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...fs-format-2012

The MLS Cup final will no longer be a neutral-site game, according to a plan approved on Saturday by the league’s Board of Governors. Instead, the league’s championship match will be played at the home venue of the participating team with a higher regular-season point total.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO is our home - has a real pitch, and is far more intimate and I prefer it for those reasons.

However, that game at the Dome had a big game feel that I have never felt at BMO and that was something special IMHO.

I also think the overall noise in the place, even though it wasn't organized was every bit as intimidating as BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One other thing - I'd rather not see another game there if it's played on that crap pitch. But remember, putting down real turf is far more expensive, and I suspect it is very unlikely you are going to get the low price point needed to fill the place with real turf.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    Banners and what else? as someone that worked on a couple of them I take great pride in what we did. doing something that size is very cool. we couldn't fit them in bmo so for a special game why not go big.
    Also, I think its a pretty cool gift to introduce somone to football. I brought 3 virgins to the game and it looks like at least two of them are getting interested and want to come back. it was fun, it was great to see that many people behind our team.
    before they annouced the location i was firmly against the dome. this game was a great experience IMO. I don't have a problem having big games like this at the dome if they fix the pitch.
    And you should be proud,that's why I said banner were great,regardless if we can fit them at BMO or not.still I'm pro BMO for every game.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    Not anymore. They changed that. Now the final will be held at the home field of the top remaining seed (see wiki). So we COULD play an MLS cup final at the end of this season. Not sure how likely that is of course, but I'm sure as heck going into this season with that hope. But should we reach the final, then I think that Rogers would be THE place for it. BMO would be cold and windy and nasty, and limited to 23k. Rogers would allow for double that crowd + would remove weather as a factor.

Dynamo Kiev, by the way, is an example of a club with two grounds with one for big games. Rogers should be our big game stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deltox View Post
    expand BMO. it prolly costs too much to rent rogers centre and its near impossible to book dates.
    TFC aren't a big enough draw to get those sorts of numbers on a regular occasion. We get around 10k out for CL games there, and there are swaths of empty seats for almost every regular season match at our current capacity. I'd really rather not watch most games in a half empty stadium.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wren View Post
    25 000 more people making for an intense spectacle is the reason. It's not complicated.

I'm baffled as to why people need to hear singing so much. The vibe in the Rogers Centre was awesome. Honestly, some of these posts read like "I wish everybody could have shut up so we could have provided them with some atmosphere".
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    No Chris. It really is as simple people wishing they could be a part of something bigger. It sounds bigger with voices united. It's not for everyone but it's a lot of people here.

And I think you know by the stadium that we were not the majority. Just here.
    Thanks for answering it,spot on.

And Chris I'll take something like this with my fellow TFC supporters over "buzz' of 40+K at Rogers without the flares of course.

This is how 42K sound when only supporters voices are untied.

Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 03-10-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop this stupidity and vote No Way!

(Unless there is ever another game in the first week of March where it is entirely possible to have 15cm of snow) No other exceptions grass or not.

The experience of Wednesday will never be duplicated twice. To continue at the dome for any other games will in essence be what they say about drug usage. You never get as high as the first time, and continuing to try to will lead to a self destructive habit.

BMO is home and this only became an issue because of the post game interview. Day, night, rain, heat, wind, cold, whatever...........the house is on Lakeshore, not Bluejay Way

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post

And Chris I'll take something like this with my fellow TFC supporters over "buzz' of 40+K at Rogers without the flares of course.

http://youtu.be/SgZ4BEXdlVs

Great vid. Wish we did some jumping at our CCL game. Would have looked really nice if the entire south stand had been jumping at some point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only for games vs la and it must be a sale out

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's simply a miracle that an antiquated , uncomfortable, sound dampening cement box like the skydome could be brought to such life by US. Thats all that made it an event, seeing so many friends in red,...but half way thru I was longing for BMO field where I can hear and feel the supporters.....just expand bmo slightly and maybe shelters over the crowd for rain.....way to distant from the action , there isn't 1 good seat in the place and not enough standing room......loved the night in spite of the box...IF our games were moved there (not likely , I drop the seasons)
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To get everyone involved we need to ditch the multiple Capos and stick everyone at the same end. It's too much of a boys club. In Europe it works because everyone gets involved, not one particular section. Not being a EuroSnob, just sayin'

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://youtu.be/SgZ4BEXdlVs

Thanks coach. I've never heard people in unison before.

I love hearing people sing together, I'm just not going to cry about it if it doesn't happen. I'm not going to diminish what did happen because my pipe dream wasn't realized.

There aren't 42 000 people like this in Toronto. You need to realize that this is never going to happen here. If you did embrace the 20 000 that routinely frequent BMO, or the 48 000 who were at Rogers Centre you would see that you're already part of a massive collection of supporters. We just don't act like everyone else.

You can sarcastically mock my word "buzz", but that's what was going on on Wednesday. A great buzz. I could care less if I hear the same songs as every other team on the planet sings. The crowd was awesome and if you can't see that I feel sorry for you.

It's a rare thing to have a chant unified between 112 and 113 at BMO. It sounds good when it happens, but I don't care when it doesn't. Give it 30 seconds and somebody will be trying to start a new song anyway.

Supporting the team doesn't mean 90 minutes of united singing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks coach. I've never heard people in unison before.

I love hearing people sing together, I'm just not going to cry about it if it doesn't happen. I'm not going to diminish what did happen because my pipe dream wasn't realized.

There aren't 42 000 people like this in Toronto. You need to realize that this is never going to happen here. If you did embrace the 20 000 that routinely frequent BMO, or the 48 000 who were at Rogers Centre you would see that you're already part of a massive collection of supporters. We just don't act like everyone else.

You can sarcastically mock my word "buzz", but that's what was going on on Wednesday. A great buzz. I could care less if I hear the same songs as every other team on the planet sings. The crowd was awesome and if you can't see that I feel sorry for you.

It's a rare thing to have a chant unified between 112 and 113 at BMO. It sounds good when it happens, but I don't care when it doesn't. Give it 30 seconds and somebody will be trying to start a new song anyway.

Supporting the team doesn't mean 90 minutes of united singing.
    True,because of individuals like you who don't give a damn we can't get anything going,make me wonder why even bother,let's just go to the game and make a bmo new AC during the ML games.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True,because of individuals like you who don't give a damn we can't get anything going,make me wonder why even bother,let's just go to the game and make a bmo new AC during the ML games.
    For a moderator you're a real argumentative smart guy. I'm not sure how taking a shot at the Maple Leafs or the ACC proves your point.

It's more that I don't feel a need to disparage my fellow fans because they don't feel like singing the same songs as me or cheering the way I do. Maybe it's time you accept what BMO, and your fellow TFC supporters are all about rather than pining for some fantasy that will never happen.

The biggest problem with unity at BMO is 2 competing supporter groups and a perceived need to always be leading everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone who sits outside of the supporters section, I still say the two main problems with chants catching on around the stadium are that they are too long and complicated for most to pick up, and that they do not go in long enough to catch around the stadium.

BTW - to be clear this isn't meant as critique of what folks in the supporters end are doing, they do a great job of supporting the team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a moderator you're a real argumentative smart guy. I'm not sure how taking a shot at the Maple Leafs or the ACC proves your point.

It's more that I don't feel a need to disparage my fellow fans because they don't feel like singing the same songs as me or cheering the way I do. Maybe it's time you accept what BMO, and your fellow TFC supporters are all about rather than pining for some fantasy that will never happen.

The biggest problem with unity at BMO is 2 competing supporter groups and a perceived need to always be leading everything.
    this isn't really the case anymore,...update your fan knowledge if you're being a critic,..127 is now just supporters and most in 112 etc are rpb's/usector fans.....BUT competition creates creative energy often seen in bringing amazing banners . RE witmess wed's event. Those banners were not ALL from the rpb's. The giant toronto football club was an dynamic individual effort from independent supporters who want 1 thing . To contribute and enjoy the wonderful game of football.and no F$#kin politics...and thru more of these supporters efforts we will be eventually a AMAZING home crowd fan base ...it's been what 5 years....apposed to what 100+years, in some countries??.. ......you seem to want to be critcal of people enjoying themselves and their team, why?/ sort of glass half empty, yes?....PS I don't sing all that much, just the songs I like but love everyone else doing my work for me,.(sic)...which is selfish on my part but my choice......can you imagine noone singing,..I'm gone!...PS the wife even quicker
    Last edited by jazzy; 03-10-2012 at 12:27 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris in the end your attitude of live and let live will not convince people here that pipe dreams and fantasies never come true.

I'd much rather use my time finding like minded individuals who want to show support the way I do because I think it more exciting and rewarding than belittling other ways of support or wasting time worrying about things that people throughout our relative short history say

will never happen.

You know what the most uplifting aspect about that word is?

"Never" will be continued to be proven wrong the longer we remain vigilent, passionate and loyal.

Okay enough rabble rousing. I'm clearly over caffeinated.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never should it be used again unless like last week, it's early in the year and BMO can't be used as the pitch isn't fit to play on....and then only if temp. grass can be intalled and the roof left open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally loved it at the Rogers Centre but i am not naive enough to think we could get that many people out to most matches.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get a laugh at those BMO groupies. The kind that think the place is a shrine. It's not a shrine. It was done on the cheap. A place that hasn't seen a play-off game EVER. And it's been a noose around the franchise's neck as it's limited the fan base to the scarf crowd.

Nothing wrong with that. I like scarves and full houses.

But for the big games, like home openers (MTL has sold 45K for it's one this year) you need to grow the fan base by allowing more people to experience the game day product. It's short sighted to demand that the game day fan base remains at 20K. It's actually incredibly selfish to boot.

And it's also self-hating to say "If it wasn't the Galaxy-- they wouldn't have sold 47K" Come on people! Montreal has sold 45K for the Fire FFS! The FIRE. We could sell 45K for the Fire, if the community and ownership put our collective will to do so.

Let's stop being so freaking small town.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm of the belief that if the weather is predictably reasonable, and the game is not massive, we play at BMO... But for massive games, like an MLS Cup final, and games where weather could be dismal (Feb/March), play the games at Skydome.

Then we have the best of both worlds... the intimate home grass stadium outdoors when the weather is OK... and the huge stadium for epic spectacles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoMO View Post
    I get a laugh at those BMO groupies. The kind that think the place is a shrine. It's not a shrine. It was done on the cheap. A place that hasn't seen a play-off game EVER. And it's been a noose around the franchise's neck as it's limited the fan base to the scarf crowd.

But for the big games, like home openers (MTL has sold 45K for it's one this year) you need to grow the fan base by allowing more people to experience the game day product. It's short sighted to demand that the game day fan base remains at 20K. It's actually incredibly selfish to boot.

And it's also self-hating to say "If it wasn't the Galaxy-- they wouldn't have sold 47K" Come on people! Montreal has sold 45K for the Fire FFS! The FIRE. We could sell 45K for the Fire, if the community and ownership put our collective will to do so.

But thats what makes BMO sooooo special

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Chris in the end your attitude of live and let live will not convince people here that pipe dreams and fantasies never come true.

I'd much rather use my time finding like minded individuals who want to show support the way I do because I think it more exciting and rewarding than belittling other ways of support or wasting time worrying about things that people throughout our relative short history say

will never happen.

You know what the most uplifting aspect about that word is?

"Never" will be continued to be proven wrong the longer we remain vigilent, passionate and loyal.

Okay enough rabble rousing. I'm clearly over caffeinated.
    I'm not being critical. I had a great time. I joined in on some of the songs I heard, as did some of the people around me. I'm not discouraging anything. I just don't think less of people who would rather follow to the flow of play. I thought the crowd was quite good in that regard.

Not everyone is going to want to cheer the same here. There are just too many different cultures. It's not a bad thing, or a good thing, it's just the way it is. If one can't accept that, I feel sorry for their lack of enjoyment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right but your conclusion is wrong. BMO is the right size for this market. Nobody has ever not gone because they couldn't get tickets. (I mean really, the Leafs world is one where 99% of their fans can never afford to go.)

More broadly, your appeal to rationality is a waste of time. I like BMO because I like BMO. It may be a meccano set but it's our meccano set. Plus, I like the view of the city. I'm also perfectly happy to go to Skydome in March or November.

NY Times columnist wrote this last week: "True sports fandom exists in a realm that precedes individual choice."
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IT'S about the sightlines and closeness to the action,......and totally uncomfortable sitting areas , which defines skydome...because unfortunately not everyone can buy into supporters section....exactly why I go to Buffalo for the bills and NEVER skydome..........interesting so you are saying the we have so many fans that bmo field will be constantly sold -out this year.....lookin forward to it, then....love my fresh-air and closenees with my friends at the lake

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You are right but your conclusion is wrong. BMO is the right size for this market. Nobody has ever not gone because they couldn't get tickets. (I mean really, the Leafs world is one where 99% of their fans can never afford to go.)

More broadly, your appeal to rationality is a waste of time. I like BMO because I like BMO. It may be a meccano set but it's our meccano set. Plus, I like the view of the city. I'm also perfectly happy to go to Skydome in March or November.

NY Times columnist wrote this last week: "True sports fandom exists in a realm that precedes individual choice."
    Cool. You enjoy the Suburban Parking Lot Ghetto that is BMO in March or even April. I'd rather see us doing what Montreal is doing. Different strokes for different folks.

And it's not our mecanno set, it's owned by the city, whose prime purpose is the home of our national squad or so I'm told as being the reason why the club will never pay for the expansion or any improvements to the actual stadium.

We can disagree. I think in a market of 4 million people (that is supposedly the greatest soccer market on the planet outside of Wigan) the team should be able to draw in the high 20's/ low 30's with a decent product on the field.

The sad fact is that the team has been sub par for the MLS over the last 5 years- hence resulting in more and more empty seats.

And a truefandom doesn't pay for championship banners.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I guess MLSE paid for grass and north stand because they felt generous
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano