View Poll Results: Would you like to see more games played at Rogers Centre?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It's a good venue that can accomodate a lot more fans

72 29.39%
  • No - BMO Field is our home, and we should be playing all games there

57 23.27%
  • Maybe: We should try to use BMO Field as much as possible and Rogers Centre only as a last resort..

116 47.35%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal has sold 46 000 tickets to it's home opener. Toronto could do the same every year at the Dome.

Time to try to expand the fan base.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Chris is arguing we should scrap bmo and build a new 27 or 28000 seat stadium. I think right now thats akin to the Jays picking a 55000 seat stadium instead of a 40000ish. Especially since bmo is still fine, and will probably be slowly getting added to basically biannually. And is on schedule to be in that neighborhood by 2017 anyways, for the winter classic/leafs 100th. Not talking about Rogers Centre full time. We should play select matches at the dome. cup finals, and the like. but not many. keep it for 'event' matches.
    No, I'm not suggesting that at all. I'm not sure where you get that.

If this team wins consistently I believe there is a sufficient fan base to make BMO as big as the Home Depot Centre. If it sells 20 000 in a 27-29 000 seater for lesser matches and sells out for bigger matches I'd be okay with that.

That's what I said.

The original question asked about going back to the Rogers Centre. I said yes for a CCL semi final or MLS Cup final that we were in.

When I read criticism that the supporters songs were not clearly heard, I suggested it was because it was too loud in there which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I enjoyed the atmosphere. Then I was shown a video of somewhere in Russia or Poland about how real fans do it. I never said I don't like mass unison, I just said it doesn't bother me if we don't have it.

I love BMO as is. These are all hypothetical scenarios. If we go back to Rogers Centre once in awhile, fine. If we never go back, fine.

It's worth noting that the Jays sold out for a few years at the dome when they had a team that competed for championships. I'd love a more intimate venue to watch the Jays in, but the dome was built in a certain era and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all im saying is... is if tfc ever get the chance to play an mls final at home (this season the finalist with the higher point total gets home field? if im not mistaken) the game MUST be played at bmo... our real home.. it may be small... but its intimate... its the TRUE home... weather permitting all games should be played at bmo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why would you scrap BMO field and build a bran new 27-28,000 seat stadium?. First we have a BMO 21,000 seat stadium, you can renovate it and improve it if ever needed to and even make it to 27 or 28,000 (tho i don't think anything over 25,000 capacity is needed) for alot less then starting scratch you would think. Not to mention where would they put this bran new stadium if you were to build it?? there isn't a whole lot of land in the Downtown area to build on, many stadiums seem to take years just trying to purchase land to build stadiums in USA/Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wren View Post
    No, I'm not suggesting that at all. I'm not sure where you get that.

If this team wins consistently I believe there is a sufficient fan base to make BMO as big as the Home Depot Centre. If it sells 20 000 in a 27-29 000 seater for lesser matches and sells out for bigger matches I'd be okay with that.

That's what I said.

The original question asked about going back to the Rogers Centre. I said yes for a CCL semi final or MLS Cup final that we were in.

When I read criticism that the supporters songs were not clearly heard, I suggested it was because it was too loud in there which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I enjoyed the atmosphere. Then I was shown a video of somewhere in Russia or Poland about how real fans do it. I never said I don't like mass unison, I just said it doesn't bother me if we don't have it.

I love BMO as is. These are all hypothetical scenarios. If we go back to Rogers Centre once in awhile, fine. If we never go back, fine.

It's worth noting that the Jays sold out for a few years at the dome when they had a team that competed for championships. I'd love a more intimate venue to watch the Jays in, but the dome was built in a certain era and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
    My bad, missunderstood completely

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If BMO Field gets torn down and a 30,000 seat stadium gets built, be prepared for half the seats to be double blue.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    If BMO Field gets torn down and a 30,000 seat stadium gets built, be prepared for half the seats to be double blue.
    That is a very good point. That door cannot be opened.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    not to mention TFC will need a temporary home until the stadium gets built
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    My bad, missunderstood completely
    No worries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are people really using a Prelim match in CCL as "proof" of a lack of fan support. It was the most heavily attended of the first round Prelim games by about 1500 people. 700 showed up in Panama to watch San Fransisco play Seattle. (Seattle had 21,000 a month later, and Olympia had 10k for it's game against a Mexican side)

The Prelims get a lower turn out because the Draw dosen't happen until about 8 weeks before the first game, and the winners are seldom a surprise. it's why they got rid of them.

They don't really matter (or shouldn't) 5 of the 8 prelim winners are currently in the Quarter Finals) Almost every winner could have been picked as a foregone conclusion. (only 2 or 3 would have not had one team as a significant under dog)

This is not a heavily attended Tournament at any stage. The two highest turn outs are both from Canadian Quarterfinal dates.

I suppose everyone thinks the numbers were cooked for the CCL match too because so many seats were empty in the 500s... of course a large number of people were around the back of the 100s watching there. And at BMO when you see 500-1000 empty seats it's amazing how many people don't see the people in other areas.

Demine in the blurry pictures you posted of the north stand there are 20-30 people that can be made out underneath.

So in a staduim with 21100 seats with 20,100 announced attendance, there are at least 1000 empty seats, plus up to 250-500 under the north stand, and another 100-200 at least off doing other things. And suddenly you have an appearance of lower seats, which are blown up by some of the cranky people here as being more then they actually are.

Now are the numbers ligit... no that is clear and can be proven without a shadow of a doubt... what are the odds of same number of people a week apart? (May 28th and June 4th) But are the numbers as cooked as some of the "supporters" claim they are... no.

Can BMO support more seats right now... no... There are 2 maybe 3 games a year that you will get more then 22k in the seats. A half empty stadium most of the time isn't good for business.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raj100 View Post
    all im saying is... is if tfc ever get the chance to play an mls final at home (this season the finalist with the higher point total gets home field? if im not mistaken) the game MUST be played at bmo... our real home.. it may be small... but its intimate... its the TRUE home... weather permitting all games should be played at bmo
    Has BMO become a member's only club? Seriously when I read shit like that I think of a country club where no else is allowed to stink up the greens.

I don't want to be part of that.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoMO View Post
    Has BMO become a member's only club? Seriously when I read shit like that I think of a country club where no else is allowed to stink up the greens.

Than don't be a part of it,no one is holding the gun on your head.

BMO IS OUR HOME FIELD and if you don't like it,wait for next year game at Rogers Centre or join us in our house by the lake.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soooo back to the Dome for the semi?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. BMO field for the semi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I would be ok with the dome, if they bring in real grass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    Actually I would be ok with the dome, if they bring in real grass
    Same, but that is the only way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    Same, but that is the only way.
    A big *storage wars* "Yuuuup!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't it cost major bucks to lay grass at the dome?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we are not going to draw 47,000 aganist a team from Mexico on the semis as there is no Beckham. the game will be played at BMO field.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the word and discussion following the first leg would warrant an attempt at BMO for the 2nd leg(despite no LA Superstars). But we need grass there. If not... BMO it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's gonna be a couple days after the home opener at BMO, they will play there.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

March 28. BMO FIELD !

RC next year 1/4 finals
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    March 28. BMO FIELD !

RC next year 1/4 finals
    This

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the atmosphere at Rogers Centre is slightly getting blown out of proportion. Yes the amount of people there was great, colours were great also, but I seriously couldn't hear anything any of the other sections were singing, it just didn't travel. BMO anyday for me, half the crowd size but twice the atmosphere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    I think the atmosphere at Rogers Centre is slightly getting blown out of proportion. Yes the amount of people there was great, colours were great also, but I seriously couldn't hear anything any of the other sections were singing, it just didn't travel. BMO anyday for me, half the crowd size but twice the atmosphere
    I agree with you. It was a fun experience to see a game at a bigger venue and with a bigger crowd, but I do agree that the atmosphere is a bit better at BMO - but only when it's not windy. Still don't like BMO though. Looks like a US high school pointyball stadium. Never felt like a proper football stadium to me. But I guess we're stuck with it. I'd feel a bit better about it when/if we get a roof.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC make the finals of the CCL, Anselmi suggested strongly that it would go back to the Rogers Centre. It would be a three week turnaround (we would be the second leg I believe), so it would be tough to fill in that short timeframe, but Jays would be on the road for the three available dates.

People need to consider that RC allows more fans who desperately want to see the game live to have that opportunity. I think it's important to accommodate as many people as possible who want to see such an event live.
    Last edited by NBS; 03-16-2012 at 06:20 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoMO View Post

not sure why you feel that way , the games are never sold out......contrary to what they report....travelzoo had home opener tickets yesterday at a good savings......so come on down.......everyones welcome........theproblem with skydome is (again) the seats were purposely made smaller to boost the attendance figures and portability for different events hence after 45 mins I'm in PAIN...and I hate venues were even the best seats are miles from the action........and the huge majority are FORCED to sit.....and yes with all the extra numbers it seemed a few bad apples naturally came out to cause a scene.....never good!
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I agree with you. It was a fun experience to see a game at a bigger venue and with a bigger crowd, but I do agree that the atmosphere is a bit better at BMO - but only when it's not windy. Still don't like BMO though. Looks like a US high school pointyball stadium. Never felt like a proper football stadium to me. But I guess we're stuck with it. I'd feel a bit better about it when/if we get a roof.
    well put......don't see it happenning now, unfortunately MLSE has woken up to $$$ that could be made at rogers centre.......frankly they don't give a shit about our comfort level at bmo......in the end $$$ TALKS.....I'm sure if they actually felt they could fill skydome, or get close to it ......they'd think about moving permanently. Lets not forget they own the leafs, seen any change there?.....but they keep making $$$...we may be the architech's of our own misfortune..
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many rows are there in section 110 at BMO??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not final, but I've heard that in October, at the end of the baseball season, they're going to be digging up the floor at the Rogers Centre and adding real grass permanently.

I believe this means that the seats won't be able to move, basically making it a baseball-only facility.

Not sure where that leaves the Argos for 2013.