View Poll Results: Would you like to see more games played at Rogers Centre?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It's a good venue that can accomodate a lot more fans

72 29.39%
  • No - BMO Field is our home, and we should be playing all games there

57 23.27%
  • Maybe: We should try to use BMO Field as much as possible and Rogers Centre only as a last resort..

116 47.35%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Should Rogers Centre be considered for more special matches?

I didn't get a chance to watch the game live (had to work), but from what I did see after, the match seemed like a pretty good success for the supporters.

Even though many may have had a few reservations about the shake-up in venue, has anyone's minds been changed? Would we like to see more "big" games played at the dome?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely. All of the major sports news venues were talking about the game, and giving rave reviews to the atmosphere.

We should take any chance we get, to put TFC on a bigger stage.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turf, no fucking way. Grass, I'm cool with it for special games only
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like this, next time though.

HAVE A SLOGAN ON THE VIDEOBOARD

"WAIT UNTIL KICKOFF TO THROW STREAMERS"

also the dj was aggravating, let the supporters build up the atmosphere.

as for playing black & yellow ....no comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    yea the first thing i said when i saw the field was what the hell is that sorry excuse for a pitch. old cricket pitch maybe? pathetic. grass or nothing next time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO is our home ground and the product of support you saw at the Dome was from all the efforts put in to having our own place to play. If anything MLSE and the city should have plans designed so in the future we can have the games there. It was a great moment but it should be repeated at our home.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NO,BMO is Home .It was great night,but playing on natural grass in smaller more intimidating venue like BMO is better for TFC.
    Last edited by denime; 03-09-2012 at 06:45 AM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say maybe. As long as they install grass for the game, im all for it. The atmosphere was amazing, and its great to have our team being the one surrounded by all the buzz. The more exposure the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only if they bring in grass. But also the timing will be tough to with Blue Jay season running through the summer.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    yea the first thing i said when i saw the field was what the hell is that sorry excuse for a pitch. old cricket pitch maybe? pathetic. grass or nothing next time.
    Nothing then. Natural grass is an expense they will pass on to the customer. It's just how they operate. So factor in saying goodbye to a $20 ticket.

Scheduling. Pre MLS season is the only time the Rogers Centre can accommodate giving TFC a date. Otherwise it's Blue Jays till October (Plus concerts etc), then Argos once a week maybe so post season matches would be a stretch.

I'd prefer BMO for any game but I'm happy that this weeks match was a success.

Song idea for the 24th v San Jose:

Sub "in Baby's Arms" for

"at BMO FIELD"
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If was deafening in there, especially after each goal and for kickoff. Really something special that you can't get a BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think the BMO atmosphere is still better. Where I sat the chanting didn't really come through and any attempts to start it in our section didn't work. It was a good night but BMO beats it hands down in every respect for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    !!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will be the venue for all CCL March games.

However, it may be five years before we're here again. We have to take them by surprise in L.A. on Wednesday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we made the CCL Final or the MLS Cup Final, I wouldn't mind heading back to the Rogers Centre - but that's really it...

If we start doing it for quarterfinals, playoff games, etc - it will lose that special feel...

Even next year, lets say we're in the ccl quarterfinal again - no Rogers Centre (I know date & weather are a factor, I'm taking 'perfect world' scenario here) as we've "been there done that"...

Now, MLS Cup final, we're in it, we're hosting it via a better record than our opposition, then I think maybe we go back...

Wednesday night was SPECIAL - it was MAGICAL... Even Forrest was caught up into it chirping Bruce Arena on the broadcast etc...

And for the record, prior to the game/announcement, I was 100% against the Rogers Centre...

If we're in a Cup Final, and only a cup final, I'd like another night like Wednesday - but if they do it for every 'big' game (playoff, semi-final etc) it will lose the special feeling quickly and be 'just another game indoors on the plastic stuff'...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As fun as Wednesday was, I say no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow - 13 / 14 / 14 - talk about a devisive issue.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For an MLS Cup Final that we're in, or the CCL final, I would be up for it. Also, on the massive condition that a real surface be installed for the game. It has been done before.

The Dome can be a madhouse at times, as evidenced by Wednesday's crowd. If TFC can get a winning team together people will jump on board the bandwagon and filling it for big matches won't be an impossible task.

The Jays sold out their home opener in an hour this year. Anyone who has been to the home opener knows how crazy it is in there every year. TFC could have more big time atmosphere games at the Dome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. It was a terrible experience you couldn't hear the supporters, the sound gets sucked out, it looks terrible, it's not intimidating at all, they'll never use real grass. Leave it at BMO.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I agree. I was sitting about mid-pitch in the 200 level and other than a general buzz, I couldn't figure out anything from the south end. Did you guys even sing the national anthem, 'cause I was listening for it...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really tough question. The game & atmosphere at the Dome was much better than I expected. But the plastic turf is lousy. (Is that seriously the same stuff they use for the Argos games, which I read in one of the news articles? Does it look that crappy for Argos games?)

Getting temporary grass at this time of year is always going to be very tough. You have to ship it in from Florida or something like that: add that to the ticket prices. Plus temp grass can often be pretty lousy: imagine if someone breaks an ankle on a strip of temp grass that has come up?

Would new/better plastic turf help? Who would pay for it? I also think temporary plastic stuff is always risky -- more likely to have the problems with the seams. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if they avoided watering the turf on Wednesday (which might have helped) because they had to roll it up immediately after the game, to get ready for the Spring Fling event at the Dome. Putting wet Astro Turf into storage can't be a good idea.

Winterizing BMO would help: heated bathrooms, insulated pipes -- and that's probably needed anyway, even for MLS games. A roof would help with the sound & the weather.

But what if Wednesday's weather had been like two days earlier, or a bit worse? Low of -13? Add some snow? Or close to 0, but with freezing rain? I think many people wouldn't show at BMO, and the players are also more likely to injure themselves in that weather, especially in pre-season form.

I would probably still prefer BMO Field, but it's a hard choice to make.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ The question is about "more special matches". I think they should all be at BMO unless there is a serious concern about the weather (like this game)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Nope.
    Although I would tend to agree, what if we have a CCL game in February (which has happened in previous years)? A normal Toronto February, that is?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wren View Post
    For an MLS Cup Final that we're in, or the CCL final, I would be up for it. Also, on the massive condition that a real surface be installed for the game. It has been done before.
    Yes and those games with real grass have had very different price points.

Not that I want to rehash attendance with you, Chris, but it would suffer for it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO is my choice,but I fear that Rogers Centre will start hosting more games.

I just hope they include new carpet in their budget if this is the route they go.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to vote "as a last resort" but I chose not to because I would not willingly want to go to the Skydome.

If it is a must, then I guess in more accurate terms anything can be a "last resort", but I'd prefer not to actually encourage that choice. The climate in Canada pretty much makes the choice for us, nothing we can do about that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poll is kind of irrelevant IMHO. There is no way that they are not going to do it again. It was a massive commercial success. Do they have the good sense to wait for a truly special event like a cup final?

I don't think I need to answer that one.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

love BMO Field as its grass & outside BUT would any other team apart from Beckham & friends be able to fill the Rogers Centre? if it was not LA & Beckham say RSL, would the game have sold out? was it Beckham that sold the game out? it was great to see & hear people talk about TFC in a postive way & after 20 minutes, I was in a dream but then I woke up. a move in the right direction. the game brought back pride to TFC & its supporters. the supporters section was fantastic. cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only if the supporters get miked
    I was right beside you guys and couldnt here a thing.

ALthough I did go home with no voice and my ears ringing like i just came back from a club, so it must have been loud.

BMO + ROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!