0 Thread(s)

roof or no roof we will never match that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
    roof or no roof we will never match that
    I think we could have been better than that. People care too much about losing here and start giving up after awhile. ANY city can be like that, if they want to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the chance to go to Jeld-Win stadium in August, it's beautiful. I think that we COULD match them, but the morale is a tad low right now. If TFC get to a winning start for the season, i think we can see some fan swagger come back.

Right now i'd say, people are hopeful, but still recovering from past-'abuse' lol, from MLSE.

Portland fan also, are incredibly fun, warm and love to chat soccer. I'd encourage anyone from the GTA to go visit Oregon (on vacation) and catch a game. You'll love it there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Yohan; 03-13-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Voted for Amarikwa, although Camilo's is a close second.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCBarrie View Post
    I think we could have been better than that. People care too much about losing here and start giving up after awhile. ANY city can be like that, if they want to.

I agree it can happen here in Toronto too, but we face a huge uphill battle.

Toronto is a cosmopolitan city of multiple cultures that some love footy. We have grassroots soccer. But we are still fighting to connect professional soccer with grassroots level. The media here doesn't give soccer much attention, at least not yet. Avg Torontonian hardly knows about soccer.

I don't know why but the Pacific Northwest gets it. Soccer is mainstream and part of their culture. Avg joe american in Seattle and Portland pays attention to soccer, at least casually, even if they aren't hardcore. Nothing impressed me more than my visit to Seattle and you can feel that soccer dominates that city, at least for that day. People talk about soccer in the streets. Soccer gets front page coverage in their media. (it helps that Seattle and Portland doesn't have much competition from other sports teams) Their cities identify themselves with their soccer team. Toronto doesn't.

So it was easier for Seattle and Portland to plan their move to MLS and set aside a large section for their supporters groups. Toronto didn't know and now we only have small space that we can really call supporters sections. (and TBH, it's just half of 111, 112 and maybe half of 113. WTF happened to 127?) It's a hard thing to try to convert people into soccer fans. Easiest way to do it is to sell the atmosphere (because everyone loves a good party) and you'll impress people easily with tons of people singing and chanting like they do in Portland and Seattle than our little pocket in the southeast corner of BMO. (and let's be honest. Our effort wasn't very good last year IMO and we need to step it up big time)

Until we can get avg Torontonians to talk about TFC like they do with Leafs, it'll be a slower growth of support of soccer in Toronto. And it'll take years to get this kind of support like they do in Pacific Northwest
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheeky

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be completely honest, when Paulson was struggling with the Portland city council to get approval for the stadium renovation, the whole thing sounded so mickey mouse, I figured it would be a bust. I probably should stay out of marketing because I got it wrong.