Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's LA not Barca......no reason we cant get a result!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc2008 View Post
    Too bad we can only have 7,500 fans at the game next week. Nothing says MLS Cup, Supporters Shield and CCL quarterfinals with Beckham, Donovan, Keane like having a college tell you how many tickets you can sell. I guess Torontos sales team is just that much better given that there were 47,000 fans at the game tonight and next week isn't even sold out for LA
    It's more a factor that driving in LA is very difficult on week-nights. Why put yourself through it when you don't even understand the idea of competitions outside of traditional league play?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    I'll wait to hear what Dv23 has to say about that.
    When I have my dream next Wednesday night, you'll be the first to know.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's pretty funny: so many comments on the MLS website, and on Facebook, that it's an outrage that LA can only have 7500 attendance at next week's game. People are saying, they should make a deal with university; or shuttle-bus people in from other parking lots; or switch the game to some other gigantic stadium in the area -- and so on. Folks in the US getting their nose out of joint I guess, to see so many people at the game in Toronto.

Never mind the fact that LA is apparently having trouble selling the 7500 tickets, even after offering them for free to season ticket holders?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    TFC advances with a win, a 3-3 or higher draw, or a 2-2 draw on penalties. Their work is cut out for them against a superior Galaxy squad. JDG and Soolsma will be back. I've learned never to count TFC out in these situations, though.
    if its 2-2 after 90, but in extra time each team scores once, still goes to penalty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    if its 2-2 after 90, but in extra time each team scores once, still goes to penalty
    Away goals still count in ET...or at least in traditionally (i.e. UEFA). Unless CONCACAF decided to change the rules, then away goals still count in ET. Therefore if one goal is scored in ET, the option of penalties is automatically eliminated.

This makes sense as the home team gets the benefit of playing an extra 30 mins at home.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    Away goals still count in ET...or at least in traditionally (i.e. UEFA). Unless CONCACAF decided to change the rules, then away goals still count in ET. Therefore if one goal is scored in ET, the option of penalties is automatically eliminated.

This makes sense as the home team gets the benefit of playing an extra 30 mins at home.
    CONCACAF rules are a little different than UEFA. After a game goes into extra time, away goals no longer count. So a 3-3 draw in extra time still goes to penalties, so I guess that is a possibility, as well. 2-2 in regulation, with 3-3, 4-4, etc. in extra time, with penalties.

This is getting pretty unusual, though. Let's just hope for an outright win, or 3-3 or higher in regulation time. LA would likely win any penalty shootout, particularly if Frei is in the net.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dv23 View Post
    eagerly awaiting your psychic prediction..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    De Guz should be on for Dunfield. Not sure what we can do about Harden just yet if nobody else is fit...
    Exactly...Dunfield offers NOTHING offensively or defensively...he's a decent late game sub who can run around and pressure tired players...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

too bad the ref is gonna shaft us with biased shite calls again.
    (not that tfc didn't play down into a draw)

CAN'T BELIEVE HOW NONCHALANT EVERYONE IS ON THE BOARDS?.

-silva elbowed in the face?

-no yellow for two fouls on koev's at the edge of the area?

100$ that if the teams were switched up, donovan would've gotten a pk in that situation.

(koevs getting tripped going for the ball at the end of the game)

I see people on here with fifa corruption sigs........

Is it really such a big stretch to have that in concacaf?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-----------Kocic-------------
    Ecks -Harden--Aceval--Morgan
    -----------Frings------------
    -----Silva---De Guzman-----
    -Johnson---Koevs-----Plata-

I'm not sure why people are putting Frings in the back 4. He's still a MF even when he drops back into a sweeper role.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dv23 View Post
    Tuesday, right ?
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JavierMartini View Post
    I see people on here with fifa corruption sigs........

Is it really such a big stretch to have that in concacaf?
    Well, matchfixing and bent refs aren't the same thing as Jack Warner sticking aid money destined for Haiti in his pocket, or Warawi Makudi using development funds to build an academy on land he owns, but I understand your point.

We were the home team, and mostly you'd expect the home team to get home team calls and we didn't get any. Why ? Is it because we're Canadian and not likely to put up a fuss so the refs don't need to do that ? Probably.

Get a decision wrong in Toronto and you get some catcalls, do the same thing in Managua and you're putting your life on the line.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if it might be more beneficial to start Lambe. Just have him tire out Franklin in the 1st half, then make a halftime sub to bring in Plata fresh to take advantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, matchfixing and bent refs aren't the same thing as Jack Warner sticking aid money destined for Haiti in his pocket, or Warawi Makudi using development funds to build an academy on land he owns, but I understand your point.

We were the home team, and mostly you'd expect the home team to get home team calls and we didn't get any. Why ? Is it because we're Canadian and not likely to put up a fuss so the refs don't need to do that ? Probably.

Get a decision wrong in Toronto and you get some catcalls, do the same thing in Managua and you're putting your life on the line.
    I agree. I think groups like ours need to be as fierce as we can about calls in these matches. We need to teach everyone else and have them follow our lead as me make the ref feel uncomfortable about calling against us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's hoping for some horrendous injuries in their next game. i don't mind if they're career ending, either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post

I'm not sure why people are putting Frings in the back 4. He's still a MF even when he drops back into a sweeper role.
    Frings was definitely playing sweeper on Wednesday and not in midfield, we were playing 5-2-3/3-4-3 with the wing backs pushing up on Wednesday.

Frings is awesome playing in the sweeper/centre back roll IMO. He's good in midfield, but in the backline he just see's everything open up in front of him and he dictates the whole game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    eagerly awaiting your psychic prediction..

Tuesday, right ?
    Yes, yes. Of course. Tuesday, from 11:00 pm, until Wednesday, at 9:00 am. This is when the predictions will come... This is when they always come.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    here's hoping for some horrendous injuries in their next game. i don't mind if they're career ending, either.
    I don't wish injuries on anyone. However, temporary bronchitis is another thing...

Seriously, though, I want our players to over-perform. Let LA worry about LA.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JavierMartini View Post
    too bad the ref is gonna shaft us with biased shite calls again.
    it's been mentioned but it's a dead horse really. the moment danny pulled up his shorts to reveal the welt left by the spike dudley stomp, i knew what the game was. 11 fouls - 2 says it all. if you were in 117 you would've heard me yell "OH YEAH, GOD FORBID ANYTHING HAPPENS TO THE GALAXY. WE WOULDNT WANT THEM TO BE OUTT'VE THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, WOULD WE? THAT WOULDNT BE GOOD FOR THE LEAGUE, WOULD IT? I HEARD THEY WERE ON COURSE TO WIN THE WHOLE THING", after that the parody stopped and i stopped riling myself up so i could watch the game.

it really doesn't need to be discussed, although the occasional complaint pops up, how crappy concacaf and league officials have been. numerous post game threads come akin to "TFC 1 - Refs __", conspiracy? it's a matter of opinion. bias? you're going to be hard pressed to find a ref who would foul a star team.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OPTA stats: make of them what you will, they're certainly telling about the impact beckham made on the last game..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to be cynical and say I'd be extremely surprised if we win. I think they were unbeaten at home last year plus the Gonzales injury won't really change things. It's 1 guy out of probably the best back 4 in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA plays with weekend, a tough match against RSL.

Our squad will also be better than the one we fielded in the first leg. Who knows, no reason we can't get a result.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding Beckham's impact on the game: I couldn't believe how much room TFC was leaving LA in their own half, incl. Beckham. Most of the time, TFC wasn't even starting to pressure until LA was right at the centreline. When playing a very high offside line at the same time, that means we often had an extremely short field. LA could go over the top with a pretty short, pretty accurate pass. With our slow CBs, and LA's strikers, that's risky. We're lucky we didn't get killed by that (and a few bad offside calls by the linesmen helped us -- the only favours we got from the officials, compared with a bunch of bad decisions they made against us).

No way we can afford to do that in LA, especially with the passes & bounces more reliable on grass.

Early in the game, Beckham was playing a bit more forward, and TFC shut him down (or at least bothered him) fairly well. Then he dropped back a bit, and was making more passes out of their own half. With our lack of pressure up front, it was deadly. I think in LA, they need to pressure Beckham all over the field, with the duties handed off between our strikers/wingers & midfielders. I found when Beckham was pressured, his passes often weren't very accurate (as you can see in the stats about -- only 63% successful). Their defense is also a bit shaky, and we would do better to pressure much quicker in their half. They are definitely prone to cough up some balls. Hopefully, TFC will be fit enough on grass, and with a break over the weekend, to keep up that pressure for a full 90.

Yes LA has other dangerous players in midfield, and someone needs to keep an eye on Donovan again next week. Juninho didn't look so great -- still pre-season form, I feel, and not their biggest threat at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering the suspect defending at times by both sides in the first leg, I think it's entirely possible that the second leg ends up with a similar scoreline. I think this could very well be decided in extra time or penalty kicks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post

you and me both.
    we still play 4-3-3 we just adjust to 3-4-3 when necessary

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sent Becks this in the mail. . should get there in time for a corner kick. .

NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still cannot get over the number of seats that will be available for the match 7500. What a joke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ They really can't be considered the "super club" they want to be with those attendance numbers. The real super clubs draw fans from all over the world to their games. LA can't even draw their own city's supporters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    CONCACAF rules are a little different than UEFA. After a game goes into extra time, away goals no longer count. So a 3-3 draw in extra time still goes to penalties, so I guess that is a possibility, as well. 2-2 in regulation, with 3-3, 4-4, etc. in extra time, with penalties.

This is getting pretty unusual, though. Let's just hope for an outright win, or 3-3 or higher in regulation time. LA would likely win any penalty shootout, particularly if Frei is in the net.
    I stand corrected.

Silly CONCACAF