Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I'm going to be cynical and say I'd be extremely surprised if we win. I think they were unbeaten at home last year plus the Gonzales injury won't really change things. It's 1 guy out of probably the best back 4 in the league.
    That one guy is pretty enormous. The two replacements are Andy Boyens (horrendous defender, in case anyone's forgotten, and out of position on Silva's goal) and Tommy Meyer, a straight-up rookie. DelaGarza is a good defender, but he's 5'9". We need to take better advantage of the backline's height but keep the buildup low, as LA counters really well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG is going to be crucial in this game.

Our defense is okay with Frings playing sweeper. The attack should be fine with DK, Silva, Johnson, Plata, and Soolsma. Our midfield was overmatched by LA and Dunfield wasn't good enough at linking passes together.

De Guzman needs to step up for this game. He has to play up to the level he's shown he's capable of for TFC to have a chance at winning this game. Add that to improved match fitness for the rest of the guys, and better games from Eckersley (who was pretty bad in the first leg) and in net (perhaps Kocic?) and I have a fair amount of hope of beating LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    it's been mentioned but it's a dead horse really. the moment danny pulled up his shorts to reveal the welt left by the spike dudley stomp, i knew what the game was. 11 fouls - 2 says it all. if you were in 117 you would've heard me yell "OH YEAH, GOD FORBID ANYTHING HAPPENS TO THE GALAXY. WE WOULDNT WANT THEM TO BE OUTT'VE THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, WOULD WE? THAT WOULDNT BE GOOD FOR THE LEAGUE, WOULD IT? I HEARD THEY WERE ON COURSE TO WIN THE WHOLE THING", after that the parody stopped and i stopped riling myself up so i could watch the game.
    heard that. it did have a calming touch of funny to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how many tickets they've actually sold for Wednesday, but I can get 8 in a row in any section, no problem. And that's only because I can't search for a higher number. Doesn't sound like the 7,500 cap is an issue. At all.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=tfc2008;1455474]Too bad we can only have 7,500 fans at the game next week. Nothing says MLS Cup, Supporters Shield and CCL quarterfinals with Beckham, Donovan, Keane like having a college tell you how many tickets you can sell. I guess Torontos sales team is just that much better given that there were 47,000 fans at the game tonight and next week isn't even sold out for LA

I would credit the STH base and the supporters for the promotion and turn out of the 47,000....just my humble opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im telling you, our midfield is waaaaay better with Frings and JDG in together! It's seriously, night and day. Dunfield sucks. LA won't know what hit them on wednesday, JDG/Frings and Silva will BOSS them and becks will get frustrated...

TFC 3 LA 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after watching the LA RSL game does anyone else think Josh Saunders is not a very good goal keeper?

I know the defense isnt great for LA right now, but I have yet to see their keeper make a big save. I think they'll miss Ricketts more than they think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lazlo_80 View Post
    after watching the LA RSL game does anyone else think Josh Saunders is not a very good goal keeper?

I know the defense isnt great for LA right now, but I have yet to see their keeper make a big save. I think they'll miss Ricketts more than they think.
    My thoughts exactly. Our strategy needs to be put as many shots on him as possible. I think Ricketts makes those 3 saves and LA wins 1-0

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After watching Saunders a few times last season, I think he's a pretty good keeper, on average. However, he's definitely not very steady. It's important for TFC to get some shots on the guy. Saunders, together with his shaky defense, is definitely good for a couple of bloopers per game, if you test them often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we should play this 3-4-3 formation on la
    ---------kocic----------
    ---harden-frings-aceval---
    --Ecks-Silva-JDG-Morgan--
    --Johnson--Koef---Plata-

subs:
    Soolsma
    Dunfiled
    Stinson
    Henry
    Maund
    Lambe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iy12l View Post
    we should play this 3-4-3 formation on la
    ---------kocic----------
    ---harden-frings-aceval---
    --Ecks-Silva-JDG-Morgan--
    --Johnson--Koef---Plata-

subs:
    Soolsma
    Dunfiled
    Stinson
    Henry
    Maund
    Lambe
    I agree with that lineup except I can't help but feel that Plata might be more beneficial as a sub against an exhausted Galaxy team playing its third game in a week. Soolsma and Koevermans have worked well together in the past, it's worth considering.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Galaxy are beatable, particularly if you play an attacking game:

The Galaxy struck first in the 71st minute but gave up three quick goals in succession to lose to Real Salt Lake in their MLS opener. The teams played a very competitive, attacking game
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Subtle Reminder:

Come on down to King And Dufferin to Shoeless Joe's for the Second Leg of the CONCACAF Champions League vs the LA GAlaxy!!! Kicks off at 10!!

See you all there!!!

Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 03-12-2012 at 06:55 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I keep seeing this, but isn't the game at 10pm (ie 7pm PDT)? That's what it says at mlssoccer.com
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume kickoff is at 10pm local time, 7pm PDT. I seriously doubt that kickoff in LA would be at 4pm. Then again, it's a school night over there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ives Galarcep ‏ @SoccerByIves RT @adamserrano: Arena after 2nite's LA loss: "I take full responsibility for this loss...should have used fresher bodies...We were tired."

Which makes me wonder if Arena is going to use an even more tired A-lineup on Wednesday, or use fresher players who aren't first choice players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^ that is good news

this was the lineup

LA Galaxy: Josh Saunders; Sean Franklin, Tommy Meyer (Chad Barrett 84’), A.J. DeLaGarza, Todd Dunivant; Landon Donovan©, Marcelo Sarvas (Juninho 69’), David Beckham, Mike Magee (Michael Stephens 70’); Robbie Keane, Edson Buddle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the 2 goals LA scored against us were utter shit!...If we attack there there shakey
    defence with an all out assault no reason we wont score in #'s

3 games in 6 days to start the season for LA will help us also... No better time then now to shock the world of Concacaf!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA just lost 3-1 to RSL. We can beat these guys.

Ours to lose.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was shocked when I saw the line up to be honest. Thought for sure LA would have started more reserves. However, playing another power in Salt Lake, I can understand why they'd want to make a statement in their opener and go for the win.

I'm excited for Wednesday! We can win this!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BS1327 View Post
    I was shocked when I saw the line up to be honest. Thought for sure LA would have started more reserves. However, playing another power in Salt Lake, I can understand why they'd want to make a statement in their opener and go for the win.

I'm excited for Wednesday! We can win this!
    RSL apparently is a bit of rival too
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I guess that's why Arena was apologizing... cuz the strategy didn't work in the end. Yes they put up a fight against a key rival in the home opener, but in the end they lost. Maybe playing some rested subs would have earned the same result... and then the starters would be fully ready for Wednesday.

At this rate, they may lose on Wednesday too...

Of course this is the exact problem Winter had in two long stretches last year. It's tough, even for the best coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NBS View Post
    I agree with that lineup except I can't help but feel that Plata might be more beneficial as a sub against an exhausted Galaxy team playing its third game in a week. Soolsma and Koevermans have worked well together in the past, it's worth considering.
    against most teams, I would agree. However I'm not very confident that Soolsma would be effective against Dunivant. Soolsma is effective because he uses simple tricks to get a bit of space to get in a nice cross. That works really well against average MLS fullbacks, but I'm not that confident it would work against Dunivant. IMO start Plata on the right to run at Dunivant for 70-80 minutes, then sub him for Soolsma who can then take advantage of him being pretty worn down and get in some nice crosses

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Subtle Reminder:

Come on down to King And Dufferin to Shoeless Joe's for the Second Leg of the CONCACAF Champions League vs the LA GAlaxy!!! Kicks off at 7!!

See you all there!!!

Isn't it a 10:00pm start ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Yup, I'm sure that was a typo.

Kickoff 10pm eastern, 7 pacific.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Torontotonto View Post
    Isn't it a 10:00pm start ?
    You going to Joes Jim?

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    ^Yup, I'm sure that was a typo.

Kickoff 10pm eastern, 7 pacific.
    Also funny is that Sportsnet has the Seattle/Santos game scheduled at 8pm on Sportsnet Ontario , but our match is relegated to Sportsnet One at 10pm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/

I'll be watching the first one to scout out our opposition in the Semis.
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Also funny is that Sportsnet has the Seattle/Santos game scheduled at 8pm on Sportsnet Ontario , but our match is relegated to Sportsnet One at 10pm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/

I'll be watching the first one to scout out our opposition in the Semis.
    this just ruined my day. Words cannot describe how much I hate Rogers right now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes we are on Sportsnet one, I guess they are doing that to get it on national TV?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports