Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Roogsy...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    case in point: you will never see a manchester united winning the treble in the dying embers of a game moment in any other sport, period.

whens the last time you can say you truly saw a "memorable" game in hockey/basketball/football?
    That's an absurd statement.

Sports fans can list you a string of "memorable" games in their respective sports just like soccer fans can. Hell, one of the most "memorable" sporting events in Toronto's history took place in that stadium close to 20 years ago.

There's no need to turn into as someone else put it "us vs them" debate.

And as for the former statement, a lot of teams/clubs/countries have won championships in the dying moments of a game or in sudden death overtime.

And being in section 120 last night I could argue some TFC fans - who claim to be big supporters and fans of the team - were among the most ignorant in the stadium last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last night was a step in the right direction for soccer in Toronto. Must give respect to TFC front office for working with the supporters and allowing us to create that atmosphere last night which has never been seen in Toronto before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fushida View Post
    paper airplanes.

I counted 7 on the field at one point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Sports fans can list you a string of "memorable" games in their respective sports just like soccer fans can. Hell, one of the most "memorable" sporting events in Toronto's history took place in that stadium close to 20 years ago.
    I count Crosby's late winner against the US to win the gold a couple of years ago amongst one of the finest sporting moments I've ever seen, and I don't even really like hockey that much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    I counted 7 on the field at one point.
    heard louder cheers for those airplanes than for the game. maybe its the 500 level mentality for the casuals but that was just sad. i mean, paper airplanes? fucking kidding me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My comments were not meant to belittle last night's spectacle. That was one of the, if not the most exciting sporting events in this city that I've experienced ever. We're definitely moving forward and making gains, no question about that. I just would like to see more of a culture change in the non supporter type.

My overall point is that the majority of fans last night weren't as tuned into the game as I personally would want them to be. When I watch a match in Europe, or in any "Football 1st" nation, the crowd understands the game. They all react to foul calls, they react to their players working hard for kicks/corners, they react to everything.

I felt last night the "majority" reacted to the goals for and against...and beckham, to a lesser degree Keane/Donovan. Otherwise, it didn't sound like 50K people were reacting.

I think the noise level and attention brought to the repeated paper airplanes backs my point up. You have a massive football match in front of your eyes, amazing experience all around and you stop paying attention to scream for garbage floating to the pitch? Then you do it a couple more times?

Are you really that disinterested in following the flow of the game? Are goals the only thing of interest in a soccer match to the non supporter?

I hope my point and tone isn't lost in how I'm trying to say it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Also, the last day of the regular season in baseball this past year. And Game 6 of the World Series.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Furtado91 View Post
    Yeah i saw someone selling david beckham shirts outside the skydome after the game. I was like huh are you serious. Im amazed his shit didn't get stolen and burned.
    Yeah I saw that person too and I told her "Are you serious? $10 for that. You would have to pay me $10 to take that from you." She then said "You were the one that paid to see him." Ahhh...such ignorance. She had alot of nerve standing out there like that and I wasn't the only heckler by a longshot.

Went home after the game and put on the pregame show and see a few of the replays I wanted to see. I can't believe how many times Beckham's face was on the broadcast. They had one interview after the game and it was Beckham. Sportsnet should be absolutely ashamed for that. Makes me sick.

Nothing against Beckham personally or his abilities but I think I had enough of Beckham-mania for now. I am sure next week's broadcast will be equally one-sided as well.

Anyhow...rant over.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

At least that's it for the Beckham love-fest for this year. LA don't play us at BMO this year, thank goodness.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think yesterday was a case of the "cost of doing business".

Yesterday was more of an event than a match for a lot of the people in the stadium last night.

But in the end, the electricity generated by yesterday's match will only benefit TFC and the game in the city down the road.

Everyone wants to sprint to the finish line but it's a marathon not a 40 yard dash.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think yesterday was a case of the "cost of doing business".

Yesterday was more of an event than a match for a lot of the people in the stadium last night.

But in the end, the electricity generated by yesterday's match will only benefit TFC and the game in the city down the road.

Everyone wants to sprint to the finish line but it's a marathon not a 40 yard dash.
    Exactly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where I was sitting in the 200 level last night the level of support and football knowledge was much better than I expected. The game in general but particularly the first 20 minutes was one of the best football atmospheres that I have ever experienced.

Now TFC has to build on this by being a successful team..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wren View Post
    What are you talking about? You're going to start with the North American sports are dumb debate?

I think this is what was meant for.

Almost 48 000 people at the dome watching TFC and it somehow becomes an "us vs. them" thing. Sad.
    really, does my opinion have the power to cause debate?
    i dont think it does.. at least a debate worth having. we're entitled to our opinions and that ones mine, i don't want to debate it with anyone cause they're entitled to theirs. there's only two sports i watch, hockey and football proper. my argument was related more to the fact that as leagues focus on "scoring = excitement!" rule changes, you'll have less memorable moments. again, i watched the bruins face the leafs and i/the people i was with believed a 3 goal conversion in the course of 5 minutes was a high possibility, especially when the leafs had taken 55 minutes up until that point to score 4.

i'm not suggesting it's us vs. them, you're the one that said that. again, stating an opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i couldn't make it to the game and wish i could have made it, the banners and flags and streamers looked amazing, it looked like a game being played in south America or big club in Germany, looks fantastic. As far as from seeing on TV and some youtube videos it was actually hard to here fans singing proper TFC chants as it seems some fans were just screaming and yelling random things through out the whole game many didn't have a clue what they were screaming for or what to say, also seems some fans chanting those typical North American " 2-3 word chants" over and over again. Other then that tho it looked amazing to be at very loud atmosphere!
    Last edited by james; 03-08-2012 at 12:12 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

north americans always make jokes about low scores and ties in soccer, but the skill involved in scoring is downright absurd. the NHL 2.0 has been fine tuned to make it easier to score. increased amounts of non-violent penalties (delay of game, holding, hooking, etc) are a steadfast indication of that. fuck, even automatic icing being discussed. what most, and ill use this term, stupid sports fans don't understand is that scoring more doesn't make a game more exciting.. it devalues each goal. when im watching the bruins vs the leafs and it's 6-4, i shouldnt be there thinking "oh no, chara took a penalty! there's a very realistic possibility that the leafs can score 3 goals in the last 5 minutes, this could be anyones game!" vs the football proper mentality of "if they even score 2 goals in 5 minutes to tie it up it'd be a fucking miracle!"

case in point: you will never see a manchester united winning the treble in the dying embers of a game moment in any other sport, period.

whens the last time you can say you truly saw a "memorable" game in hockey/basketball/football?
    What are you talking about? You're going to start with the North American sports are dumb debate?

I think this is what was meant for.

Almost 48 000 people at the dome watching TFC and it somehow becomes an "us vs. them" thing. Sad.
    Guys. It's opinion. Obviously you're going to find a Footy biased preference on a Football message board.

And we're in NA. There are more people on this message board that watch additional sports than probably anywhere else in the world.

Last night was a celebration of a coming of age for footy in this town. Of course we saw a large number of niave atitudes but I'd rather take that as an unprecedented opportunity of introduction to a different kind of support in large numbers.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's an absurd statement.

There's no need to turn into as someone else put it "us vs them" debate.
    ugh. again. when i make it an "us vs. them" debate, i'll let you guys know. i was using soccer as an example to state an opinion of how high scoring doesn't equal fantastical action, and that i deplore the addition of rules to balance that compromise the integrity of the game so that you can watch players score more.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should have been an event for everyone, because that's what it was.

People really need to mellow out. Take a step back and see that there was a full stadium with a great atmosphere. People were having fun, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I've been to BMO when people cheered at squirrels, Bitchy, girls to take their tops off, guys to take their tops off, rival fans, each other, guys with ponytails, guys wearing suits, lawn girls, ball boys, the sun coming out... paper airplanes is no big deal. It's actually something that happens at the Rogers Centre quite frequently.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

really, does my opinion have the power to cause debate?
    i dont think it does.. at least a debate worth having. we're entitled to our opinions and that ones mine, i don't want to debate it with anyone cause they're entitled to theirs. there's only two sports i watch, hockey and football proper. my argument was related more to the fact that as leagues focus on "scoring = excitement!" rule changes, you'll have less memorable moments. again, i watched the bruins face the leafs and i/the people i was with believed a 3 goal conversion in the course of 5 minutes was a high possibility, especially when the leafs had taken 55 minutes up until that point to score 4.

i'm not suggesting it's us vs. them, you're the one that said that. again, stating an opinion.
    Again, that's an opinion not a fact. And I could argue that you're incorrect.

And as for the second point, you made the point.

north americans always make jokes about low scores and ties in soccer, but the skill involved in scoring is downright absurd.
    Thereby implying North Americans can't appreciate soccer because of the skill. I'd argue that Landon Donovan's goal last night was more of a case of ping-pong than actual skill.

Soccer fans in North America have to get over this notion that if someone doesn't like their sport everybody else is stupid, just like Canadian hockey fans who degrade Americans for being stupid for not loving their sport.

If someone else thinks it stupid or doesn't like it, there's no need to force them to like it.

Just enjoy it. If it's a niche sport in North America for the time being, so be it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been to BMO when people cheered [...] girls to take their tops off, [...] It's actually something that happens at the Rogers Centre quite frequently.

Magical.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snobby bitch thread after a record-breaking night. Wonderful.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ugh. again. when i make it an "us vs. them" debate, i'll let you guys know. i was using soccer as an example to state an opinion of how high scoring doesn't equal fantastical action, and that i deplore the addition of rules to balance that compromise the integrity of the game so that you can watch players score more.
    You also threw in basketball and football in the mix.

Like FYR, yesterday was great and if you thought you were going to get 45,000 hardcore soccer supporters in the stadium last night then you would be naive. Even in other parts of the world you don't get 45,000 hardcore supporters in a stadium.

Matches are still events and, sure while, the knowledge of the game might be at a slightly higher level, you're still going to get people in the stands who don't care about the action on the pitch.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I can understand why some fans attention may have wandered to the paper airplanes on the field. There were moments in the game - mainly the second half - that were dull and dry. I think for the most part the majority of the stadium was tuned in.

In a North American soccer crowd of 45K, it would be ignorant to assume that everyone would be as into the game as we supporters would like. I think the first step is to appreciate that 45K even showed up.

Based on where I was sitting and the reaction of those around and below me (238) - I would also confidently say that at least 25-30K were actually into the game (This is solely based on crowd reaction to the small things that were going on during the game)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Furtado91 View Post
    Yeah i saw someone selling david beckham shirts outside the skydome after the game. I was like huh are you serious. Im amazed his shit didn't get stolen and burned.
    OH it got burned all right

http://youtu.be/SaAjPq26RUY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I count Crosby's late winner against the US to win the gold a couple of years ago amongst one of the finest sporting moments I've ever seen, and I don't even really like hockey that much.
    Agreed,

I do not enjoy watching or even hearing about hockey, but that was as memorable a sporting moment as you'll ever see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In reading this thread, I can't help but wonder how many people in this city that are now full blown TFC/footie fans started that journey by walking into BMO as a casual to enjoy the event/spectacle. Personally, I know quiet a few myself.

I suspect that last night converted more than a few people to our team and the beautiful game, and that is a big win.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was in 237, crowd was more into it than I would have guessed. also saw very little obvious beckham love.

sound was wierd. I could see that the supporters section was clearly very loud, but could barely hear a thing. the anthem for example, couldn't hear you guys at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fushida View Post
    heard louder cheers for those airplanes than for the game. maybe its the 500 level mentality for the casuals but that was just sad. i mean, paper airplanes? fucking kidding me?
    That's where I was sitting. 500s.

The best part is teh Dad with the 4 young kids (no more than 9yrs I would think) that were dropping the f word.

"This is our house, get the f**k out"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fergie was right, Beckham is shite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    was in 237, crowd was more into it than I would have guessed. also saw very little obvious beckham love.

sound was wierd. I could see that the supporters section was clearly very loud, but could barely hear a thing. the anthem for example, couldn't hear you guys at all.
    ya same on TV you couldn't make out the chants but could tell it was very loud. Must say TFC support weakness has always been getting fans to sing together, not have 3 different chants going at one time. I'm not sure if that was the case last night i was not there, but wouldn't be suprised if that did happen.