Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Some "Soccer" Fans were ingnorant about TFC

As I sat in my seat, which I got the a little late, had some annoying kids (they didn't bother me all that much really), a kid kicking my chair for an extended period of time and a VERY ignorant person who refused to move his slouched out legs when I went for a beer, and implied with his "frustrated" "throw the hands up in the air" gesture.

All of the about made it hard to watch the game but it was Toronto FC, so no level of annoyance could ruin my game experience, I sat there and enjoyed the game with my buddy; the game went one I dealt with the annoyances accordingly, letting the kids do what they want... There kids right I'm not gunna make them feel bad at such a great event, just ignored the asshole.

Anyways once the game was over a "fan" stood up and proceeded to say TFC was shit and "thanks for 5 years of a waste" and proceeded to boo our hardworking boys with remarks of them being lazy and the Toronto FC Leafs; was absolutely pathetic, he obviously had no knowledge of football and that the Galaxy are the BEST MLS side hands down, with 3 EPL level players in, Beckham, Keane, & Donovan. And we where heavily underdogs.

Either way I'm proud of our boys they did an amazing job I'm think a 2-2 draw was a good (not great) result.

PS I wasn't in the supporters section but you all absolutely killed it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a group behind me who said "so I guess LA Galaxy isn't that good of a team".

THEY WERE WOMEN.

Sorry, that last part was irrelevant and inappropriate. But they were hot. So I obviously didn't correct them. Because hot women scare the shit out of me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old man yells at cloud

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did you expect any better?
    really

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    Old man yells at cloud
    Classic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with more than double the BMO crowd, we were always going to have a high proportion of non-footy folks dragged out by their kids who wanted to go.
    Great to see so many kids out on a schoolnight tho- it's nights like that that ignite the passion for them.
    TFC made a massive statement last night with that crowd and atmosphere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw in the prawnies (Sec 132) and, amazingly, there was a fair bit of standing (which caused some grumbling but nothing serious), and some chants.

^My kids loved it. But please start these games at 7 or 7.30pm!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

paper airplanes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

people at the top of 117 started up a "paper airplanes!" chant which was responded with a "WATCH THE GAME" chant. there was a good deal of randoms who showed up, but when i saw kids walking outside after the game doing the TFC chant it gave me the warm fuzzies.

on a side note, i saw someone selling TORONTO FC / DAVID BECKHAM scarfs. da fahq?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Beckham gets a bigger round of applause on his introduction than any of the TFC players there is an underlying problem.

Are we from Toronto or not, geez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah a popular comment (that I've heard at BMO as well) is "what is this, Maple Leaf Soccer?" Or when a player mistimes a strike and it sails..."man that guy sucks, take him out"..regardless of who the player is.

Still a horde of ignorance to be overcome with the average joe unfortunately. After Magee's goal about 70% of the crowd engaged in general chit chat and didn't focus on the game for the rest of the half.

I think with many sports fans being raised on Football, Hockey, Baseball and Basketball, they have no real understanding of the value of scoring in Soccer. Those 4 sports all continue to push towards making things more scoring friendly, while already being sports with multiple scores by both sides being a regular occurrence. They've continued devalued scoring plays as the years go on (I mean look at the NFL, touchdowns mean NOTHING compared to just 10 years ago) where as Soccer has always held firm with it's rules in maintaining the value of scoring.

Especially in a CCL format where away goals are so impacting. Without the appreciation for 'a soccer goal', combined with a lack of depth in understanding the game, the average joe just doesn't see the game the right way just yet.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think with many sports fans being raised on Football, Hockey, Baseball and Basketball, they have no real understanding of the value of scoring in Soccer. Those 4 sports all continue to push towards making things more scoring friendly, while already being sports with multiple scores by both sides being a regular occurrence. They've continued devalued scoring plays as the years go on (I mean look at the NFL, touchdowns mean NOTHING compared to just 10 years ago) where as Soccer has always held firm with it's rules in maintaining the value of scoring.
    [rubs chin thoughfully] Very interesting point.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    people at the top of 117 started up a "paper airplanes!" chant which was responded with a "WATCH THE GAME" chant. there was a good deal of randoms who showed up, but when i saw kids walking outside after the game doing the TFC chant it gave me the warm fuzzies.

on a side note, i saw someone selling TORONTO FC / DAVID BECKHAM scarfs. da fahq?

Yeah i saw someone selling david beckham shirts outside the skydome after the game. I was like huh are you serious. Im amazed his shit didn't get stolen and burned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    When Beckham gets a bigger round of applause on his introduction than any of the TFC players there is an underlying problem.

Are we from Toronto or not, geez.
    Really? All I heard was boo's when his name got called. Or he took a corner. Or he touched the ball. Or he cried to the ref. I was in 118 though so maybe it was different elsewhere in the stadium.

The Voyageurs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck I would have bought a TFC Beckham scarf just for the retarded absurdity of it.

Then do something terrible to it later in a complex ceremony meant to appease to the collection of gods angered by this.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    Really? All I heard was boo's when his name got called. Or he took a corner. Or he touched the ball. Or he cried to the ref. I was in 118 though so maybe it was different elsewhere in the stadium.
    i heard a lot of boos as well from 238

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    Old man yells at cloud
    No doubt.

I feel like I was at a different game. One where Beckham was booed like crazy over and over again and one where the so called casuals and those that apparently don't understand the value of goals in soccer all seemed really into the game.

The comments I'm reading here (like 70% of the crowd engaging in general chit chat after the Magee goal) seem to be coming out of left field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some fun stereotypes I saw last night in the 500 crowd:

I don't mean to offend anyone of course, I just laughed when I saw it-
    think of it like a monty python sketch

- Chatty wives, gfs, moms chatting away amongst themsevles, buzzing their husband's ears off (I brought mine ), DURING Key moments: corner kicks, free kicks - they weren't too concerned.
    - There was a double date next to me, the gfs were sitting on their bf's laps turned sideways looking away from the pitch for about 95% of the 2nd half, chatting away about facebook groups

-Parents with very little kids. Great to bring your kids and everything, I did feel bad for them having to get up and run 27 steps down to the washroom every 10 minutes. Ofcourse the kids could care less 30 seconds into the game.

-The "know it all, semi-pro teenagers" screaming, "laces down" "come on, even I could kick that shit"

-non-footy fans, constantly saying "Get up!... in hockey/football you just get up and keep going... blah blah blah"

And my favourite:

-The "lookers". Don't MOVE! or SAY anything LOUD!- they WILL turn around and look at you like you have 2 heads!

But it was good to see everyone, and fun to throw some stereotypes around
    Last edited by nickio; 03-08-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I saw in the prawnies (Sec 132) and, amazingly, there was a fair bit of standing (which caused some grumbling but nothing serious), and some chants.

^My kids loved it. But please start these games at 7 or 7.30pm!
    I was at the top of 114 (non-supporters section) and from what I could see everybody was standing. I couldn't even see anyone sitting down.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Considering the fact that this is only half a decade in, I'd say last night was a roaring success. There will always be people at matches who aren't as into the game as others, but to see a turnout like that in Toronto was really something. The atmosphere inside the stadium was amazing and the support was pretty damn good. The general noise level was high and, as I walked around the stadium on my way to my section (yes, yes, I was late ), the buzz was electric.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by socceronly View Post
    Fuck I would have bought a TFC Beckham scarf just for the retarded absurdity of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furtado91 View Post
    Yeah i saw someone selling david beckham shirts outside the skydome after the game. I was like huh are you serious.
    seriously.. its kinda like a bad movie that you see with your friends for a laugh and it ends up making $40 million at the box office. i didnt even want to part with my money as a joke.

also, matt where'd you go after i saw you at crocs? i was off buying you a beer that i had to drink when i couldnt find you! two delicious.. delicious beers to myself.. nevermind. thanks matt

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Still a horde of ignorance to be overcome with the average joe unfortunately. After Magee's goal about 70% of the crowd engaged in general chit chat and didn't focus on the game for the rest of the half.

Especially in a CCL format where away goals are so impacting. Without the appreciation for 'a soccer goal', combined with a lack of depth in understanding the game, the average joe just doesn't see the game the right way just yet.

north americans always make jokes about low scores and ties in soccer, but the skill involved in scoring is downright absurd. the NHL 2.0 has been fine tuned to make it easier to score. increased amounts of non-violent penalties (delay of game, holding, hooking, etc) are a steadfast indication of that. fuck, even automatic icing being discussed. what most, and ill use this term, stupid sports fans don't understand is that scoring more doesn't make a game more exciting.. it devalues each goal. when im watching the bruins vs the leafs and it's 6-4, i shouldnt be there thinking "oh no, chara took a penalty! there's a very realistic possibility that the leafs can score 3 goals in the last 5 minutes, this could be anyones game!" vs the football proper mentality of "if they even score 2 goals in 5 minutes to tie it up it'd be a fucking miracle!"

case in point: you will never see a manchester united winning the treble in the dying embers of a game moment in any other sport, period.

whens the last time you can say you truly saw a "memorable" game in hockey/basketball/football?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take a game at BMO over Rogers Centre any day. It's hard to enjoy the match when people are chanting for baconators and Pizza Pizza around you as paper airplanes fly by. I guess that's what happens when it becomes more about the spectacle than the game.

And the 'this team sucks' mentality will always be there, even if we lose in the MLS Cup finals. One guy called in to the Fan590 after the game to tell the host that this team sucks, we have zero quality players, and there were no signs of promise for this year. He also mentioned that we mostly suck because we traded away DeRosario and he was the only one who could have brought us success. The host did call him out on our team actually having a lot of promise this year and the fact that we went toe-to-toe with the best team in the MLS, so credit to him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I was positively surprised. I was expecting much worse overall. Mind you, I was sitting in the first row of 219, so people around me were mostly fairly hard-core season ticket holders, that purchased tickets early during the SSH pre-sale, when the best seats were available.. I seriously heard fewer clueless comments than at an average game at BMO.

And generally, I didn't see a single Beckham jersey before, during, or after the game. (Other than on the tattooed wanker strutting around on the field). I know there were a few based on what others have said, but that's it. There was way more red all over the place than I expected.

And yes, there was a bit of cheering for Becks before the game, but way more booing, and booing throughout the game for him. I though Plata and a few other TFC players got the loudest cheers pre-game.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's fine to have high expectations, but guys, this is the 6th year of this team in Toronto. You can't expect people to have as much knowledge about the team, or the same level of passion, as the supporters on this and other message boards.

Last night was a huge milestone for TFC and the sport in this city. This is not a sprint.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From section 206, I think the person who thought Beckham got the biggest cheers was crazy. I can't complain about our area at all, everyone was pretty focused on the game and some dudes in 205 were really bringing the noise. Props to the south end, you guys were on fire.

Really, anyone who wants to complain about last night is just splitting hairs. That was a huge success by any reasonable measure. Except conceding late - that was too bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in 109a and outside of a bunch of Galaxy fans with tickets in the 500 level that didn't go to their seats, and a few hipsters, and a fraking wave. it was a good..

My father has always said the game seems so slow, so it wasn't really on his, hey was always passing on coming to games, he changed his toon a bit, saying TV doesn't do it justice at all.

I just wish we were hungry for a third goal from minute 20 to 90.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall, it was a good time.

You will always get the non-footie types but it comes with the territory. If anything, we can turn some of those "casuals" into "diehards".

The only thing that I find annoying is that "LEAF NATION" is so starved for winning that when they turn to another team (TFC, Blue Jays, and Raptors), they want INSTANT SUCCESS and if they don't get it ... WE JUST SUCK.

I will add that to the long list of why I HATE LEAFS NATION!!
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that a very good portion of the large crowd was into it much more than I would have imagined going into the game. Whatever, sporting event you go to be it baseball, hockey, basketball and so on you will get people there that are generaly clueless about what they are watching or are not into it as the more serious fan. Also, soccer is not a new sport here in Toronto or in Canada, soccer at the youth participation level has been one of the sports here in Canada with one of the most participants for awhile now going back to the 1980's soccer has been up there with hockey as one of the sports with the largest youth registrations. Therefore, many kids have grown up playing the sport, many adults today have also grown up playing the sport, therefore, you will find a vast majority of people attending soccer matches in Toronto and Canada understanding soccer and understanding things like the value of a goal. I find the Toronto crowds that attend soccer matches in Toronto very knowledgeble in general.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark83 View Post
    One guy called in to the Fan590 after the game to tell the host that this team sucks, we have zero quality players, and there were no signs of promise for this year. He also mentioned that we mostly suck because we traded away DeRosario and he was the only one who could have brought us success. The host did call him out on our team actually having a lot of promise this year and the fact that we went toe-to-toe with the best team in the MLS, so credit to him.
    Roogsy...

a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    seriously.. its kinda like a bad movie that you see with your friends for a laugh and it ends up making $40 million at the box office. i didnt even want to part with my money as a joke.

also, matt where'd you go after i saw you at crocs? i was off buying you a beer that i had to drink when i couldnt find you! two delicious.. delicious beers to myself.. nevermind. thanks matt

north americans always make jokes about low scores and ties in soccer, but the skill involved in scoring is downright absurd. the NHL 2.0 has been fine tuned to make it easier to score. increased amounts of non-violent penalties (delay of game, holding, hooking, etc) are a steadfast indication of that. fuck, even automatic icing being discussed. what most, and ill use this term, stupid sports fans don't understand is that scoring more doesn't make a game more exciting.. it devalues each goal. when im watching the bruins vs the leafs and it's 6-4, i shouldnt be there thinking "oh no, chara took a penalty! there's a very realistic possibility that the leafs can score 3 goals in the last 5 minutes, this could be anyones game!" vs the football proper mentality of "if they even score 2 goals in 5 minutes to tie it up it'd be a fucking miracle!"

case in point: you will never see a manchester united winning the treble in the dying embers of a game moment in any other sport, period.

whens the last time you can say you truly saw a "memorable" game in hockey/basketball/football?

What are you talking about? You're going to start with the North American sports are dumb debate?

I think this is what was meant for.

Almost 48 000 people at the dome watching TFC and it somehow becomes an "us vs. them" thing. Sad.