Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    But this is not Sunday league,and sub can't come in until your injured player leaves the field,so you will end up with Maund running down the field regardless.
    Of course you can't sub on the fly like "sunday league soccer". But Silva COULD have run out to the touchline to swap places with Maund. If Silva was taking too long, the ref could have booked him. But there is nothing in the rules stating that Silva couldn't have walked/jogged towards teh half way line to be replaced.

I have no idea why Silva went straight behind the goal! TFC were leading at the time, they needed to WASTE time, not speed it up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm kinda thinking now that Frei spending time with Liverpool was Winter trying to boost his stock a little and that he may have gambled in starting him last night hoping he'd play a great game to get a little more in a trade.
    Nothing but speculation on my part but I think he could be traded any day now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Of course you can't sub on the fly like "sunday league soccer". But Silva COULD have run out to the touchline to swap places with Maund. If Silva was taking too long, the ref could have booked him. But there is nothing in the rules stating that Silva couldn't have walked/jogged towards teh half way line to be replaced.

I have no idea why Silva went straight behind the goal! TFC were leading at the time, they needed to WASTE time, not speed it up!
    ^ The ref physically prevented Silva from going to the touchline. He was trying to head towards the touchline, but the ref stopped him & directed him to the endline. (Silva would have gotten a card for sure, maybe even a red, if he had tried to push the issue any more. I think the ref was just looking for an excuse to give TFC a hard time.)

I don't know the FIFA rules about this. I have seen that done on occasion, sending a player off at the end, especially when the ref thinks the team is just trying to waste time, or if an injured player will (pretend to) need a long time to get to the side. I think it's been done at least once in favour of TFC -- near the end of last season.

Give it up!
    Last edited by Auzzy; 03-08-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
    Frei was at fault on the first goal period
    Yes he was. He totally misplayed that ball. I'd rather he missed it as it would gone either to Ecks, who had moved into position to head it out, or it would have gone into touch on the east side.

Oh well. Frei has done wonders for us so many times. It's just one of those unfortunate things.

Perhaps with a couple more matches in pre-season he'd have handled that one. I thought at times he, like many others, looked just a touch game rusty.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely thought the officiating was suspect. I agree they made some good & bad decisions for & against both teams, so there was a general question of competence. But the overall tenor of the officiating really changed after TFC was up by two. I remember saying to my seatmate "oh Jack Warner's buddies just called the ref on his headset, this is not the result that was ordered, you gotta make this right."

Who knows what CONCACAF really thinks -- maybe it was just the officials over-compensating against the raucous crowd.

Koevermanns, Johnson, and a few other TFC players were really getting roughed up. Fouls were being called against TFC when they were defending, when similar things were not being called when LA was defending.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    ^ The ref physically prevented Silva from going to the touchline. He was trying to head towards the touchline, but the ref stopped him & directed him to the endline. (Silva would have gotten a card for sure, maybe even a red, if he had tried to push the issue any more. I think the ref was just looking for an excuse to give TFC a hard time.)

I don't know the FIFA rules about this. I have seen that done on occasion, sending a player off at the end, especially when the ref thinks the team is just trying to waste time, or if an injured player will (pretend to) need a long time to get to the side. I think it's been done at least once in favour of TFC -- near the end of last season.

Give it up!
    Asking me to give up my passion for football is like asking me to give up chocolate, it just aint gonna happen! I'm just surprised nobody else is complaining about the sub at the end that COST US THE GAME!

And if it was the Ref who made the desicion to send Silva off behind the goal, then the Ref has cost us the game!

I won't give something up if I think TFC have been robbed of a result, sorry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Yes he was. He totally misplayed that ball. I'd rather he missed it as it would gone either to Ecks, who had moved into position to head it out, or it would have gone into touch on the east side.

Oh well. Frei has done wonders for us so many times. It's just one of those unfortunate things.

Perhaps with a couple more matches in pre-season he'd have handled that one. I thought at times he, like many others, looked just a touch game rusty.
    That should have been up to Ecks to call for the ball in that case. Unfortunately, in that stadium last night, it made talking on the field almost impossible. I don't think the first goal was down to Frei, IF Frei had just let the ball go, then we would all be moaning that he let the ball go past him. Frei HAD to go for that ball in that situation, IMO.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ If a goalie goes for the ball, he absolutely HAS to get it, especially when there's nobody close to him that's getting in his way. It also wasn't a very difficult cross: not very hard or bending; no wind to cause problems; long enough distance to give Frei a chance to judge the ball. If he can't catch it, he HAS to punch it out or swat it out.

If he's not sure if he can get it, he shouldn't, and instead get on his line & be ready for a shot or header.

I highly doubt Frei would even have listened to a defender calling for a ball in that situation. If Ecks sees Frei going for the ball, he has to trust his goalie in deciding he can get it. That's the goalie's job to judge.

Maybe Ecks played a part in that goal. (He definitely was doing a bad job of marking his man or being in the right spots a couple of times in the game.) But that goal was mostly Frei's problem.

Frei mentioned, their new keeper coach is spending lots of time with them on decision-making: proper positioning; when to come out for balls; etc. It could be, as Frei learns that in more detail, that he's out of his comfort zone temporarily. He may make a few more mistakes in this season as he adjusts to this way of playing. If he does learn, it will surely make him a better goalie, but we shall see. Kocic might be the better choice for next Wednesday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rudiker View Post
    Really looking forward in seeing JDG play next week, and also that we will be playing in front of 7500 Galaxy fans...theres no home advantage in small crowds.
    Apparently LA gave a free ticket to each season ticket holder and they are still having trouble reaching the 7500 mark.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a longer highlight video:

If someone can find a higher quality version, let us know. Also, the announcers are kinda LA homer wankers, might want to leave the sound off.

Check 5:50 in the video, Silva gets decked by Buddle with an elbow to the head, no call.

Also better views of the final scramble leading to 2-2. A bunch of Toronto players staring at the ball, moving towards the ball, not watching LA players. There were two or three LA players unmarked, could have gone wrong in a different way if the ball had squirted in another direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the positive side, our team has never been this organized, this early. The CCL matches created the urgency. If this is our starting point, and to be sure there were some rough edges last night, I am hopeful.

On the negative side, the substitution approach by Winter was shocking. It reminded me of some of the baffling sub timing from last year. I thought this issue was resolved but now I'm concerned about it again. If the subs were done at 70', we might have hung in there and the whole discussion today would be different.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    On the positive side, our team has never been this organized, this early. The CCL matches created the urgency. If this is our starting point, and to be sure there were some rough edges last night, I am hopeful.

On the negative side, the substitution approach by Winter was shocking. It reminded me of some of the baffling sub timing from last year. I thought this issue was resolved but now I'm concerned about it again. If the subs were done at 70', we might have hung in there and the whole discussion today would be different.
    I think the subs were mostly forced. Plata was gassed (as explained in the interviews) and came out in the 58th minute. Silva was gassed & cramping, and came out in the 87th minute. I think due to the plastic turf, the pre-season form, and other factors, Winter was (rightly) worried about injuries or fatigue, and didn't want to use up his substitutions too early. Earlier, I thought Koevermans or Johnson would need to come out first -- they looked tired, & banged up due to rough play from LA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The beer "incident" was the opening story on E-Talk tonight. LOL!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

That guy threw a beer can. He must be the biggest FC fan EVER.

There are not enough facepalms to apply to this.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to write into the papers that it was you Roogs. You were aiming for Anselmi.....
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    I am going to write into the papers that it was you Roogs. You were aiming for Anselmi.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://ckcutheredzone.podomatic.com/...04_46_18-08_00

Hey I was invited on my friends radio show in Ottawa and here is the podcast. I come on about 15min in to talk about the game at the Rogers Centre and MLS in Canada. Very brief, I had so much prepared and didn't even talk about what I wanted to. Hopefully I don't sound like an assclown and I did justice for footy/TFC.

Thanks for supporting community radio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently the beer throwing incident was also on the news in England. Showing Becks pissed off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "FUCK YOU BECKHAM" chant was epic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Apparently the beer throwing incident was also on the news in England. Showing Becks pissed off.
    ...and in Peru as well! not a bad thing actually..

http://peru.com/futbol/video-david-b...-noticia-45902

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That video makes TFC fans look more like idiots than anything else.

In Champions League play, in an important game at home, if the opposing team scores on us, you're upset, you're mad, you're disappointed. That goal is possibly the singular reason we may not make it into the next round.

You're not supposed to be friggin' laugh about it.

It reinforces my belief that a lot of people there weren't there for the soccer, for the pride of the badge or for the city...they were there for the party and to act like imbeciles. I've had my fill.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can pretty much assume that there were at least 15k people there who had NEVER been to a TFC game before, and most of them didn't really have a clue what was going on, or how to act. There was a guy in front of me who kept yelling at people for "shouting too loud and being rude", and for standing up! I think he thought he was going to the opera or the ballet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made the mistake of watching the highlight video posted above...no wonder soccer is struggling to be popular in America, so painful...a goal is soccer is supposed to be more of a big deal then a lay-up in basketball, but the announcers sound the same.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That video makes TFC fans look more like idiots than anything else.

In Champions League play, in an important game at home, if the opposing team scores on us, you're upset, you're mad, you're disappointed. That goal is possibly the singular reason we may not make it into the next round.

You're not supposed to be friggin' laugh about it.

It reinforces my belief that a lot of people there weren't there for the soccer, for the pride of the badge or for the city...they were there for the party and to act like imbeciles. I've had my fill.
    Roogsy, you're kidding right?

You really thought before you went, that Rogers Center wasn't going to be half full with the frat boy, out to get drunk, don't really give a fuck party crowd.

Within 47000 people that was always going to the case.

Even you had to leave with a good feeling about the rest of the night and how far things have come in the last 5 years.
    Last edited by Bluenose13; 03-09-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most class was shown by Aron Wynter.

Bruce Arena is a politician.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    Roogsy, you're kidding right?

You really thought before you went, that Rogers Center wasn't going to be half full with the frat boy, out to get drunk, don't really give a fuck party crowd.

Within 47000 people that was always going to the case.

Even you had to leave with a good feeling about the rest of the night and how far things have come in the last 5 years.
    Well said, but don't forget that roogsy never expected to get close to 47,000 in the joint, now he has an issue with what kind of 47,000 were there...yeeesh!

Laughing at becks for pumping his chest like he knew that l.a was going to score on a quadruple deflection corner kick is o.k. with me. He had the last laugh, but he and his clan antagonizing the crowd after the goal suggests that they really are not too worried about projectiles being flung at them.

A video of a jammed canadian stadium in a soccer mad country like peru will only open some eyes to some future potential s.american talent who see a future here.

Big picture!