Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Peter Schaad Critical of TFC Management.

Schaad was very critical today of Toronto (and Montreal) management on VWFC Daily Podcast today, mentioning that he overheard high level executives from each team displaying ignorance as to who Bryce Alderson and Mac Kandji were during the Orlando tournament. He also said the rumour going around Orlando is that the TFC front office is highly dysfunctional with de Klerk, Winter and Mariner all clashing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is Peter Schaad?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Who is Peter Schaad?
    Wondering the same thing, LOL. And what is the VWFC Podcast?

EDIT: It looks like he's the voice of the Whitecaps? I haven't heard anything like this from reporters based in Toronto, so yeah - consider me skeptical. Wouldn't shock me if Winter displayed some ignorance about a kid who has played all of like, one preseason game with Vancouver, though.

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 02-28-2012 at 01:43 AM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peter Schaad is the Fan radio host in Vancouver who does a daily Whitecaps show and also calls their games on the radio. The daily radio show is hosted as a podcast as well. He is, in my opinion, the best MLS journalist in Canada, and it's not close.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/TEAMRadio-WhitecapsFCDaily

His comments are early on in the Feb. 27th edition.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see that happening. Winter and Mariner being forced to work together can obviously cause problems with each having their own opinions. De Klerk is a strong personality and could potentially clash with those two as well.

Hope it doesn't get too bad, Mariner is key to this front office setup. I really wish we had local reporters who would get to the bottom of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's always been some weirdness about the setup. We'll see how it plays out this year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some difference of opionion (even heated) can be fine and normal - I'm just shocked to hear an allegation that it's more contentious than that, because from what I've been seeing and reading, everything looks harmonious enough to me.

Things are even uncustomarily quiet on the players' front, for once.

I could maybe see some clashing between Winter and Mariner, but Winter and de klerk seems less likely to me.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way I just listened to the podcast and the exact words used by Schaad were that he was hearing Winter/Mariner/De Klerk weren't on the same page. Not as damning as the OP, but still a cause for concern.

It would fit in with what Ives said after the SuperDraft, too, that it seemed to him that Winter and Mariner didn't have a good relationship.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Narcotic View Post
    Schaad was very critical today of Toronto (and Montreal) management on VWFC Daily Podcast today, mentioning that he overheard high level executives from each team displaying ignorance as to who Bryce Alderson and Mac Kandji were during the Orlando tournament. He also said the rumour going around Orlando is that the TFC front office is highly dysfunctional with de Klerk, Winter and Mariner all clashing.
    I mentioned this early last year. Winter and Mariner have not gotten along well from the start. Given the off-season moves I thought things had improved. I fully expect some bloodletting at some point. If TFC don't have a good first half of the season I would not be surprised if Winter goes and Mariner remains given who his agent is.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Some difference of opionion (even heated) can be fine and normal - I'm just shocked to hear an allegation that it's more contentious than that, because from what I've been seeing and reading, everything looks harmonious enough to me.

Things are even uncustomarily quiet on the players' front, for once.

I could maybe see some clashing between Winter and Mariner, but Winter and de klerk seems less likely to me.

- Scott
    I know fans are "happier" not knowing the goings on in the offices but your post reveals the other side of the equation which is fans are then surprised when they hear things or if "surprises" appear like sudden departures, odd personnel moves or outright public spats.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if this situation were to come to head and Winter were to depart, you would have to be stupid not to realize you is waiting in the wings, Mariners partner in crime, Mr. Nicol.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I know fans are "happier" not knowing the goings on in the offices but your post reveals the other side of the equation which is fans are then surprised when they hear things or if "surprises" appear like sudden departures, odd personnel moves or outright public spats.
    Thinly-veiled contempt, thou art a harsh mistress!

I'm not happy not knowing what is going on - assuming this is going on - I said that I hadn't heard about any acrimony between the three of them from any Toronto-based reporters. I can't imagine anyone else here saying they are "happier" not knowing what is going on either - so I don't know if that is you projecting about some perceived past persecution you received here when trying to enlighten the unwashed masses, or what.

I hope Toronto's soccer reporters look into this, and give us a fuller picture of the situation in management, assuming there is one. Things seem perfectly fine from the outside, which has been rare for this club - we were always hearing rumblings from players when things were wrong.

Mariner and Winter also haven't made the faintest allusions to any sort of rift between them in any interviews I have read/seen.

But whatever. If there's a truth to be found, I hope it comes out. Sunlight being the best disinfectant, and all that jazz.

- Scott

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But think about it Scott, when there have been problems in the past, where has it been revealed? The media in Toronto have not had a clue at any point about the inner workings at TFC. It has been bloggers and inside sources revealing them on the various forums that have shown to be more in tune and informed of lockerroom issues. From Mo to Preki to player issues, the media have always been a step behind so why think they'd be better informed now or in the future, especially with an administration that is far more controlling about internal information than previous ones?

It's not far from the truth when people joke that some media get their stories from this and other forums.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 02-28-2012 at 04:35 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team is destined to have drama so I assume its true.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The people with inside info are getting the spin that their source wants spread online. Caveat emptor basically. Beyond that I would have thought that Thomas Rongen can't be ignored as a potential successor if things don't work out for Winter this season. His arrival strengthened the Dutch influence still further and his role in finding Huezo and Orozco seemed to encroach heavily on Paul Mariner's turf and was not something that an academy director would normally be expected to do.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I don't see a good enough reason to put much stock in this claim by Schaad. How would the Whitecap's media guy be privy to such information that no other local journalist covering TFC does? Doesn't really add up to me.

I would concede that there very well could be some friction going on between coaches - simply because we've never actually had a season free of drama like this, but I don't see Peter Schaad as a particularly reliable source on this matter.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh the Drama, well it was Oscar time wasn't it. lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Personally, I don't see a good enough reason to put much stock in this claim by Schaad. How would the Whitecap's media guy be privy to such information that no other local journalist covering TFC does? Doesn't really add up to me.

I would concede that there very well could be some friction going on between coaches - simply because we've never actually had a season free of drama like this, but I don't see Peter Schaad as a particularly reliable source on this matter.
    This is kind of where I'm at too. I'm certainly open to it being true, but I find it odd that the Whitecaps radio guy is telling us this, when no MLS journalist in Toronto is reporting any such thing - including good reporters like JoMo, and some of the crappy rumourmongers most of us can't stand, who would relish reporting on some good ol' internal TFC strife.

I definitely don't discount the possibility of a guy who works in the MLS world cultivating inside sources for teams other than their own. A little funny to be hearing this from a Vancouver guy though, in light of what an open wound their management issues in the latter half of last season were.

- Scott

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what his being a Vancouver guy has anything to do with it. If it was Goff or Galarcep would it be any different?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what his being a Vancouver guy has anything to do with it. If it was Goff or Galarcep would it be any different?
    Well, one difference I can see is that a guy like Galarcep is just an observer and journalist, whereas Schaad actually works, indirectly (as I'm assuming he's not on Vancouver's payroll?), for another team.

But even in that case, I tend to trust the veracity of Ives' reporting more when it comes to matters about the New Jersey Energy Drinks, than any other team, since he's closest to them.

And he doesn't do a lot of reporting on insider-y internal struggles outside the Red Bulls anyway.

Goff I don't read enough of to really comment.

- Scott

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I definitely don't discount the possibility of a guy who works in the MLS world cultivating inside sources for teams other than their own. A little funny to be hearing this from a Vancouver guy though, in light of what an open wound their management issues in the latter half of last season were.

- Scott
    Something about pots calling kettles black, and people living in glass houses not throwing stones?
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twistedchinaman View Post
    Something about pots calling kettles black, and people living in glass houses not throwing stones?
    Yep, but we aren't the ones throwing stones this time!

- Scott

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me and some spin to this.......he may be getting his info from Stuart Neely? Let's not forget he is now over with the Caps. Could he be the source of the info? I think that this may be where the info could have possibly gotten out....but that being said it could be a disgruntled employee as well.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure why you say Peter Schaad works for the team, he seems to be employed by the Fan Vancouver, owned by Bell Media.

As for Galarcep (and Goff although you are not familiar with them) they are two of the most widely renowned MLS journalists in the league published in Sports Illustrated as well as their local media and their own blogs. These two break more stories on a league-wide basis than any journalists. I think it's a mistake to simply view them as "local" guys.

In my opinion, if we were to count on the local Toronto guys to bring us scoop, we wouldn't be half as informed as we are about the operations of TFC. To assign them more credibility is to ignore the track record of who has significantly broken TFC news in the past.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in agreement with Roogs here.....Goff and Galarcep are pretty much the foremost authorities on all things MLS related. I have seen them break many a story...and not limited to "their teams". They usually get scoop on things before most other sources do.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure why you say Peter Schaad works for the team, he seems to be employed by the Fan Vancouver, owned by Bell Media.
    He's employed by the FAN, but does Vancouver's play by play. Hence my use of the word "indirect".

As for Galarcep (and Goff although you are not familiar with them) they are two of the most widely renowned MLS journalists in the league published in Sports Illustrated as well as their local media and their own blogs. These two break more stories on a league-wide basis than any journalists. I think it's a mistake to simply view them as "local" guys.
    I never challenged their status as renowned MLS writers, but that has nothing to do with how wide their inside sources reach, where they are concentrated, or even how many they have.

Stephen Brunt is probably the best sports writer in Canada, and he pretty much never writes rumour columns about internal team strife, and subjects of that nature. Ives is largely the same way.

- Scott

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver guy, not particularly connected. It's all in the interpretation. Someone sees Winter and Mariner arguing about something. You could either (a) conclude they don't get along or (b) recognize that two strong personalities disagree but aren't at all threatened by each other. It's all in the interpretation.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Vancouver guy, not particularly connected. It's all in the interpretation. Someone sees Winter and Mariner arguing about something. You could either (a) conclude they don't get along or (b) recognize that two strong personalities disagree but aren't at all threatened by each other. It's all in the interpretation.
    Exactly. Maybe it's something, or maybe it's just a guy who happened to see them arguing about something, and assumed the worst. Who knows?

- Scott

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did Winter hire Mariner? Did Mariner hire Winter? Is there another team in MLS that has two top guys, that didn't select each other, and without a clear chain of command?

I got ripped when I tried to focus on this last year (it's a supporters's site!) but since it's true we don't know how good Schaad's info is, I'll just say this ....

The FO set up here is an MLSE special. If things don't go well (and let's face it, it's sports, there's a real chance of that)....everyone involved will get to argue about which of Winter or Mariner have to go, ignoring once again the actual architects of the problem. At least that's the idea, in my eyes. Hopefully the new overlords are smarter, and more engaged, than the current/former ones are.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-28-2012 at 07:37 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    Let me and some spin to this.......he may be getting his info from Stuart Neely? Let's not forget he is now over with the Caps. Could he be the source of the info? I think that this may be where the info could have possibly gotten out....but that being said it could be a disgruntled employee as well.
    Neely would definitely be one source. Had heard earlier last year that there was friction within the FO and that DeKlerk was one of the more outspoken individuals in the group.