Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    Caicedo apparently gave a spanish response to the surprising style of MLS/USL players on mlssoccer.com ... anyone get a translation of what he was commenting on?

Here's the link ... http://www.mlssoccer.com/es/news/art...ovanny-caicedo
    Google translate does a decent job.
    http://translate.google.com/translat...ovanny-caicedo

And that is a little worrying, but he'll need time, that's no surprise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caicedo apparently gave a spanish response to the surprising style of MLS/USL players on mlssoccer.com ... anyone get a translation of what he was commenting on?

Here's the link ... http://www.mlssoccer.com/es/news/art...ovanny-caicedo

Here's the google translation:

ORLANDO, Fla. - Geovanny Caicedo and got his first taste of American football in a tournament. His verdict: "It's a surprise."

"For me football is very new in this way, the balls, to enter a lot of rubbing, contact. I'm not used to that, "said the Ecuadorian defense FutbolMLS.com after the first game of his club, Toronto FC, the Disney Pro Soccer Classic, which drew 2-2 with the club hosting the USL Orlando City.

"I'm a little trouble because I'm not used to being hit. But hey, that's the job, and a professional has to try to adapt to these situations, "he said. "Obviously I'm trying to adapt to this football is very different from football I've been practicing for many years."

Caicedo played the first half of the match with fellow defensive, Miguel Aceval, were exceeded many times encompassed by the passing of John Rooney.

"It was the adaptation and the physical, because we are not yet accustomed to both hit. So we're trying to correct, "said the defender. "We must be very careful not to surprise us again."

Most worrying for Caicedo is the fact that there is little time to adjust to his new team since the March 7 will have to face the brand new champions of MLS, the LA Galaxy in the Champions League CONCACAF . However, and although at various times were overwhelmed by the USL team, the player is not alarmed by what David Beckham, Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane can do about the defense that will command.

"I do not care personally because they are really good players who have earned their name worldwide, but one also has it," said Caicedo. "The important thing is that we are professionals and prepare for a good game and get those first three points in Toronto."

Despite his confidence, the player acknowledges that he and his team still have long way to go before being considered ready for the meeting.

"We still have" admitted the defense. "As a player say that lack of experience because the team is not yet compact and that's what we're missing. We need to put the ball on, handle it in the middle, make several pauses and spaces to shrink. "

Toronto opens its participation in the Disney Classic Pro Soccer Tie

Aron Winer's team came from behind twice to take a 2-2 tie against Orlando City. Somewhat penalty for John Rooney (15 ') put the hosts of the tournament up on the scoreboard, but the Canadian box was recovered by a ball goal still the Chilean Miguel Aceval (23'). In the second half, Kevin Molino to 54 'scored after being enabled with a pass from Charlie Campbell. Germany's Torsten Frings would return the TFC equalizer eight minutes later.

The meeting hinted defensive problems Toronto FC, who time and again were tortured by the Orlando forward Maxwell Griffin. Especially worrisome is the fact that star striker Danny Koevermans, was injured at minute 30. Winter will have to take the rest of the tournament to put their players in shape, as some were tired early in the game.

Toronto FC: Stefan Frei # 24 - # 5 Ashtone Morgan (# 42 Kevin Huezo), # 3 Miguel Aceval (# 32 Michael Green), # 2 Geovanny Caicedo (46 '# 21 Aaron Maund), # 27 Richard Eckersley (46 '# 4 Doneil Henry) - # 23 Terry Dunfield (# 16 Oscar Cordon), # 8 Eric Avila (# 15 Matt Stinson), # 22 Torsten Frings (Sergio Camargo) - # 7 Joao Silver (# 33 Junior Burgos) , # 14 Danny Koevermans (32 '# 18 Nick Soolsma), # 19 Reggie Lambe (# 43 Moises Orozco)

Orlando City SC # 1 Miguel Gallardo - # 14 Luke Boden (72 '# 8 Erik Ustruck), # 5 Kieron Bernard (61' # 16 Wes Allen), # 22 Rob Valentino, Jerome Mechak # 2 - # 6 Anthony Pulis, # 17 James O 'Connor (66' # 20 Don Smart) - # 23 Charlie Campbell (76 '# 3 Adama Mbenge), # 10 John Rooney (72' # 7 Dustin McCarty), # 18 Kevin Molino (83 '# 25 Nick Sowers) - # 11 Maxwell Griffin (61' # 15 Dennis Chin)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He says the long-ball, physical style of MLS is a surprise. He's not used to it, but his job is to adapt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're built like brick shithouse. Hit back.

Google translate does a decent job.
    "For me football is very new in this way, the balls, to enter a lot of rubbing, contact. I'm not used to that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    You're built like brick shithouse. Hit back.
    Exactly ... That's why they brought you in, big guy!

" the balls, to enter a lot of rubbing, contact. I'm not used to that"
    Sounds like alot of post-Vegas commentary I've heard over the years

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree. If that's what they brought him in for, they would have kept Iro. They brought Caicedo in because he obviously brings more than simply being a big body.

Have you guys seen Andrea Bargnani play? It's taken several seasons for the man to drive hard to the lane and even now he still does not look comfortable doing it. A big body doesn't mean a player will be physical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I disagree. If that's what they brought him in for, they would have kept Iro. They brought Caicedo in because he obviously brings more than simply being a big body.

Have you guys seen Andrea Bargnani play? It's taken several seasons for the man to drive hard to the lane and even now he still does not look comfortable doing it. A big body doesn't mean a player will be physical.

technically, we tried to kept Iro, and Iro rejected the offer

however, i agree that Caicedo needs to adapt
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

Obviously, i'm being facetious Roogsy, you're right, probably brings some comfort on the ball, build from back experience; but seriously, a bag-of-balls or a divot on the pitch would have been a defensive improvement over Iro. Even if you wanted to go physical, to ignore the guy's lapses because he is physically the prototype you are looking for, i think Winter and Mariner learned their lesson on that one. Well, let's hope at least. If Caiecedo isn't the answer, keep looking. But you never know, he could be the next Olave.

At least he has the right attitude. He recognizes the Darwinian nature of the league; he knows he has to adapt or die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apparently Koevermans is fine and thank god he is.... Johnson si back with a few games under his belt he sounds fired up for the season. Cann is also almost ready. Next game line up.

Eks----Harden-----Aveval-----Morgan
    -------Buchiba----Frings--------
    ----------Sliva------------
    Johnson---Koev------Plata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    apparently Koevermans is fine and thank god he is.... Johnson si back with a few games under his belt he sounds fired up for the season. Cann is also almost ready. Next game line up.

Eks----Harden-----Aveval-----Morgan
    -------Buchiba----Frings--------
    ----------Sliva------------
    Johnson---Koev------Plata
    2 things:

1) You mispelled Aceval. EA Sports already did that in the Squad Updates for Fifa12. Can't edit it either, what a headache ...

2) I'm thinking Aceval and Caicedo need time to gel, get used to each other so they'll probably both start again, but then again, since it isn't an MLS opponent, maybe they will break them up for this one

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Caicedo's comments were a bit surprising. From what I could see, I thought he was most troubled by the opponents' speed (which would include long balls over the top I guess) rather than physical rough play. (But likely there's lots of stuff happening off the ball that we don't see.) Also, he manhandled & pulled down a guy for the PK, so...

If he's coming back from injury as mentioned, hopefully his speed & conditioning will improve, as will his comfort with the league & his teammates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Spanish speaker on the Canadian Soccer News site posted the following comment to the story (hope there is no copyright infringement here). It's a bit more explanatory I think:

I think the reading of his comments is a bit off; in Spanish his comments are not as alarming as I read your commentary. Actually his comments probably relate to the reason why he and Aceval were selected by Winter and Mariner.

He does talk about the physicality of the league, but more he mentions the 'pelotazos' - or long ball game played in North America. Obviously this is going to be an issue, TFC needs a pair of central defenders who can control space as well as chase down balls (rare to find a single player who can do both, that is why they are paired).

Obviously he does not know about North American soccer - only North Americans do - how could and why should he know about it? As a pool of new players for the league, only NCAA graduates know what its like, and only maybe English play with a similar culture. Bringing in South Americans is going to require adaptations; but that it is one side of the story. Winter did not come to Toronto to make TFC play North American soccer - but a more fluid, controlled, ball on the ground game.

That is what Caicedo is talking about here: “Como jugador de experiencia digo que falta porque el equipo todavía no está compacto y eso es lo que nos está faltando. Nos falta poner la pelota adelante, manejarla en el medio, hacer varias pausas y poder achicar los espacios”.
    I would translate:
    "As a player with experience I would say that we are lacking as a team because we are not compact, this is what we are lacking. We cannot put the ball forward, control the middle, pause (control) the game, and make the tight passes".

Caicedo was brought in because he is from a different style of soccer, not because knows how to play North American soccer. Caicedo is a professional and Ecuadorian football has been revolutionized in the past 15 years by a strong cohort of afro-Ecuadorians that play 'professional' football (they know what opportunities are in front of them, work hard, do not bullshit around, and make the best of what is available - Plata is an example) in Ecuador and in Europe; it is no coincidence that Liga de Quito has won 4 South American trophies in the past 5 years. South American football may not be 'physical' but it is very dirty and requires giving/taking lots of knocks and hits. This will not be a problem for Caicedo to adapt to, the long-balls over the top will be something to pay attention to, but he was brought in - yes on a 'risk' - because there simply are not defenders in this league who know how to start plays out of the back. I'd take a note of encouragement that he is intelligent to the problems that TFC has in playing the game that Winter wants to play. To my mind, that is why he was scouted in the first place.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    thanks for the re-post of a good comment

edit: the one above roogs
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 things:

1) You mispelled Aceval. EA Sports already did that in the Squad Updates for Fifa12. Can't edit it either, what a headache ...

2) I'm thinking Aceval and Caicedo need time to gel, get used to each other so they'll probably both start again, but then again, since it isn't an MLS opponent, maybe they will break them up for this one
    They need time to gel together, with the team, and in the league. These are not things that generally happen overnight. It may take half a season (or longer) before we really see the best of these guys.

The one thing that I worry about - I am expecting that there are going to be defensive blunders as a result, and I really hope the frustrated folks in the South End that were raining shit down on Iro don't get frustrated early on and do the same the new guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there's anything of worry beyond the usual pre-season rough edges it's the high line. They got caught a few times with balls over the top and didn't have the speed to recover. That's just something to deal with as Caicedo himself says.
    Last edited by Canary10; 02-27-2012 at 05:35 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great re-post from CSN, makes sense, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: TFC's high defensive line and being vulnerable to balls over the top against Orlando City, this article from January might be worth another read:

http://www.rednationonline.ca/TheBoo...tbyWinter.aspx