View Poll Results: Which one would you rather see?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • TFC as the MLS champions

45 28.48%
  • Canada goes to the World Cup

110 69.62%
  • Neither. I don't even like soccer. Where am I?

3 1.90%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Club or Country?

Which one do you value more?

If you had to pick one, which one would you rather see?
    TFC as the MLS champions

or

Canadian national team reaching the World Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if it was Canada winning then i would have voted Canada but qualifying isnt that big of a deal to me,

making it and getting crushed in the round robin is kinda lackluster in my opinion.

and yes i understand that Canada has only made it 1 time before

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World Cup easily. It means far more in soccer than winning a domestic league (a mid-tier league no less).

Just qualifying for a World Cup would be huge for soccer in this country.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gotta say i grew up watching the german national team play and didnt know about Canadas team until I was about 20. I do like them and want to see them win but Im not fanatical about them. On the other hand I live and breathe TFC. Definitely club over country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC. If the question was them or Scotland it may be different but I consider myself a Torontonian first and foremost since I moved here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

picked neither because i rather canada past the group stages or TFC as CCL champions

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada making the WC. My bags are packed the moment it happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've supported TFC from the very first kick, and local pro soccer far before the reds were around....but no doubt it my mind would i rather see our nation in the World Cup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I follow England before Canada but I still picked country because I looked at it from a player's stand point. I'd hate for TFC to start dictating who get's to join their national team (if called upon). That's the one thing I didn't like about the Carver era, him dropping people down the depth chart because they wanted to represent their country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rather see both. But for the sake of choice id rather see Canada in World cup. Because the World Cup happens every four years and it would give some of the younger players the incentive to play for Canada rather than other countries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If canada was a regular at the world cup...there might be a differnt outcome in this poll...

example..Canada Winning hockey gold in 2014 or Leafs making the sTANLEY CUp final?

Club will always be first for me....but Canada is also right there

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Country.Always.

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Country.Always.

boom.....TFC is my team but,.........I'm happy just to see them play attractive successful, footie...at this point....as for my country,.....these guys play for nothing else but heart and soul.............very meaningful for everyone who benefits from this amazing country.....if you live here you should give something back.......support is free
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC as CWC Champs or Canada in the World Cup would've been better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Country.Always.

And boom goes the dynamite.

Just too much win, there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Country Always ... same with Canadian Men's National basketball team over the Raptors...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went club. I don't consider myself unpatriotic, I just don't make a huge connection between patriotism and sport. I'll watch any and all soccer, but I've always been more into club competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would like to see both at some point.... but right now i would take canada going to brazil 2014 than toronto winning the MLS right now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    picked neither because i rather canada past the group stages or TFC as CCL champions
    had a chance to think about it somemore...i'd be elated if Toronto FC won, but the meaning of actually going to the world cup and the international stage it will put Canada on is HUGE and that alone will be just one massive celebration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the fact that we have a pro soccer team here in Toronto playing in a decent North American league and I hope TFC can win an MLS championship in the near future,however, Canada making the World Cup wouldl be huge, bigger than any MLS championship for TFC. The media would be all over it if Canada was to qualify for a World Cup, never mind that, if the Canadian team came within a game of making it to the World Cup that game clinching game would be big and the hype would be like nothing we have ever seen for soccer in this country.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada making it into the WC would do so much more for the sport in this country than TFC winning the MLS Cup. Both scenarios would be great, but I gotta take country over club here.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CLUB..... no need for explaining why.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Canada qualifying for the World Cup is going to do much more for the sport in this country than anything TFC accomplishes (what Cash just said).

Kids will be watching it on CBC. Cars will have Canada flags flying. A generation will remember watching CANADA play at the world cup and will dream of playing there one day themselves.

TFC winning the Anschutz trophy with much of their season aired on GOL TV isn't going to do jack shit.

As an aside, to cheer for another country first, and then TFC over Canada is despicable.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i picked the third option.
    wait a minute.. this isn't the impact forum! WHERE AM I!?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to differ here from a lot of you.

I agree that Canada qualifying and doing well would be best for Canadian soccer. However,
    Canada merely qualifying and bombing out in the first round (like we did the last time we got in) would do nothing for the game over here.

TFC winning the MLS Cup would do more for Canadian soccer than Canada squeaking in to the WC with a poor WC showing once we get there.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'm going to differ here from a lot of you.

I agree that Canada qualifying and doing well would be best for Canadian soccer. However,
    Canada merely qualifying and bombing out in the first round (like we did the last time we got in) would do nothing for the game over here.

TFC winning the MLS Cup would do more for Canadian soccer than Canada squeaking in to the WC with a poor WC showing once we get there.
    I disagree there. Just making it to the WC for Canada would be a tremendous accomplishment.

TFC only has regional impact, not Canada-wide impact. TFC winning would help soccer in southern Ontario to a small extent but it wouldn't necessarily help Canadian soccer. That's like saying the Whitecaps or Impact winning the MLS Cup will push kids in Toronto to play soccer.

It's kind of the same as the Toronto Blue Jays. Yes, the Blue Jays winning the World Series gave a small bump to baseball in Canada but ultimately it was the success of Baseball Canada that begat the success Baseball Canada has had. Most of the best baseball players in Canada come from BC or Quebec not necessarily Ontario. Though with the demise of the Expos, baseball in Quebec has taken a big hit.

Most of the kids in BC have more of a connection to the Seattle Mariners than to the Blue Jays. But more importantly the success of guys like Larry Walker and Justin Moreau is what gives those guys encouragement not the success of the Blue Jays.

Just because Canada hasn't made it to the World Cup in 26 years, we shouldn't underestimate the impact of making the World Cup. It would be huge if Canada made it even if they got smoked once they got there. I mean it didn't hurt the women's game when they faltered, and faltered badly, in Germany.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't about which would have a bigger impact, or how likely it is that one will happen over the other.

It's about where you live, what you're proud of, and who you care about. Do I care about a bunch of players, playing in leagues all over the world, getting together once in a while to play against (usually) superior sides, only because they happen to be Canadian citizens?

Don't give me this bullshit about them representing our country, because the successful EPLers on the Canada team are about as Canadian as guns, the Queen or apple pie.

Club over country, forever.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    As an aside, to cheer for another country first, and then TFC over Canada is despicable.
    Uh oh.

This last World Cup, I cheered England (which promptly proceeded to shit the bed) and then Ivory Coast (Didier Drogba) and the Black Stars (flair). I'm Polish by birth.

I'd definitely be despicable by your definition, except Canada's not made the WC in decades and watching our team dominate a bunch of poor CONCACAF countries in the qualifiers is about as exciting as drinking flat beer. And we all know what happens next.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    This isn't about which would have a bigger impact, or how likely it is that one will happen over the other.

It's about where you live, what you're proud of, and who you care about. Do I care about a bunch of players, playing in leagues all over the world, getting together once in a while to play against (usually) superior sides, only because they happen to be Canadian citizens?

Don't give me this bullshit about them representing our country, because the successful EPLers on the Canada team are about as Canadian as guns, the Queen or apple pie.

Club over country, forever.
    You can make the same argument that a bunch of foreigners playing in Toronto are as Torontonian as a hole in a wall.

It's about where you live, what you're proud of, and who you care about.
    While I was born and raised in Toronto and am a Torontonian, I'm also a Canadian. And while I would love to see TFC win the MLS Cup (moreso the CCL), I would also love to see Canada in the World Cup.

And as how the question is phrased, which one I would rather see more... Canada in the World Cup would be the answer for me.

It would be the same if you asked me about hockey. I'd rather see Canada win the gold medal at the Olympics 100 times out of 100 than the Leafs, or any Canadian/American team, win the Cup.*

*unless I'm working for that team

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The way this poll is worded is a little confusing. It depends on the time frame we are talking about. If we are talking 2014, then yes, I definitely would rather have Canada in the World Cup than see TFC as champions between now and then. However, if we are talking into perpetuity, I'd rather see TFC as champions.