Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC Academy Stars Plucked by QPR

Voyageurs are reporting that QPR have signed Dylan Carreiro and Michael Petrasso...

Huge blow to TFC academy if true, Petrasso is class

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hmmm.... I wonder if Danny Dichio, being a big QPR guy, had anything to do with it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This calls for a riot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does TFC receive anything by this move.
    Or is it just two players gone for nothing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Hmmm.... I wonder if Danny Dichio, being a big QPR guy, had anything to do with it?
    Nope, this has Marc Bircham all over it. He coached both players last month in Costa Rica for Canada U18s (U16s) as they romped over the Ticos, was really impressed by the whole team. He's QPR's U18 assistant coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow.. Academy products are being poached? Do you have a link?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have to expect to happen more often in the future unless TFC makes a proper contracts with the kids instead of those letters.

Considering that both of them are U18 and Canadian citizens for them to move there parents have to go with them,so I would like to see the link that confirms this bad news.

QPR still has to pay TFC certain amount of $$$,not big $$$ though.
    Last edited by denime; 01-12-2012 at 06:08 PM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    QPR still has to pay TFC certain amount of $$$,not big $$$ though.
    I assume this is pretty irrelevant to us though. I'm guessing that money is just money into TFC's coffers, and not money that can get converted into allocation.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
    Nope, this has Marc Bircham all over it. He coached both players last month in Costa Rica for Canada U18s (U16s) as they romped over the Ticos, was really impressed by the whole team. He's QPR's U18 assistant coach.
    My bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's in a thread on the Voyageurs page but the info comes straight from Dylan Carreiro's twitter talking to a Canadian teammate

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's great news. Whether we're compensated or not, it shows that the academy is doing well. If these guys have a shot at one day playing EPL, then we should all be applauding the move. While TFC may not gain from their success, it could attract more top players to the academy as a result. And the national program can only get better with more kids receiving elite level development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    I think that's great news. Whether we're compensated or not, it shows that the academy is doing well. If these guys have a shot at one day playing EPL, then we should all be applauding the move. While TFC may not gain from their success, it could attract more top players to the academy as a result. And the national program can only get better with more kids receiving elite level development.
    +1.....
    Lots of narrow minded people posting in this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know Petrasso very well, played with my little brother for the Woodbridge soccer Club. Great player, was a real talent.

Will do very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real shame that we lost Petrasso, don't know too much about the other kid.

Ultimately, it is great that these guys are quality enough to garner contracts overseas, but its a shame that many of the players coming through aren't making onto our roster.

Aleman, Alderson, Teibert, these two, and a few more that I'm missing.

Are these fully pro contracts or are these kids still doing residency?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is this possible?

When the Keven Aleman thing happened, it was because he wouldn't committ his future with the academy and sign with the academy. That is why he was dropped from Toronto FC Academy. Wouldn't this have meant that Carreiro and Petrasso would have been contract bound with TFC Academy?

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think these guys will get the development and playing time they deserve at QPR? As much as at TFC Academy? I'm asking honestly...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    How is this possible?

When the Keven Aleman thing happened, it was because he wouldn't committ his future with the academy and sign with the academy. That is why he was dropped from Toronto FC Academy. Wouldn't this have meant that Carreiro and Petrasso would have been contract bound with TFC Academy?
    I'm just speculating here, but there is the potential that the contracts are not legally enforceable.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm just speculating here, but there is the potential that the contracts are not legally enforceable.
    This is true.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great news for both of those kids and for Canada to get them into EPL clubs (even if its temp they are getting better as as club on a trend).

Petrasso is looking like he can be a legit player in years and is still really young.

It would be good if TFC could get a little cash in exchange for the kids but this is the beginning of what I hope will be more kids going to develop in Canada and worldwide. Now TFC can bring in two more kids and start developing them.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    Great news for both of those kids and for Canada to get them into EPL clubs (even if its temp they are getting better as as club on a trend).

It would be good if TFC could get a little cash in exchange for the kids but this is the beginning of what I hope will be more kids going to develop in Canada and worldwide. Now TFC can bring in two more kids and start developing them.
    This is a fair trade with the stature of an EPL team. Letting these kids go won't mean we'll be selling them to change our senior club squad right away.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    How is this possible?

That just means QPR will have to pay for them. Dunno where that money goes (to MLSE, to the academy, allocation?) but whatever. I'm waiting to judge this until something official is said. Too many questions. Which team are they going to in QPC? What, if anything did we get back? Is this ACTUALLY happening or just a rumor or a thing that might happen? Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    That just means QPR will have to pay for them. Dunno where that money goes (to MLSE, to the academy, allocation?) but whatever. I'm waiting to judge this until something official is said. Too many questions. Which team are they going to in QPC? What, if anything did we get back? Is this ACTUALLY happening or just a rumor or a thing that might happen? Guess we'll find out soon enough.
    im just trying to understand if you can be poached like this, then why didn't aleman just sign and wait to get poached

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea how kids in the academy are handled with respect to leaving and going to another clubs academy. But I think we will see more of this as the academy program grows. The goal of the academy is to provide the best environment for player development. Some of those kids will make their way to TFC and some very good ones will advance to bigger clubs that will provide them better opportunities.

It will always suck to see talented kids leave the TFC Academy. On the positive side, the more that leave for bigger clubs means the academy is doing its job. That's good for Canadian soccer. Hopefully TFC can benefit financially from it as well. That is important for future investment in the academy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    I have no idea how kids in the academy are handled with respect to leaving and going to another clubs academy. But I think we will see more of this as the academy program grows. The goal of the academy is to provide the best environment for player development. Some of those kids will make their way to TFC and some very good ones will advance to bigger clubs that will provide them better opportunities.

It will always suck to see talented kids leave the TFC Academy. On the positive side, the more that leave for bigger clubs means the academy is doing its job. That's good for Canadian soccer. Hopefully TFC can benefit financially from it as well. That is important for future investment in the academy.
    I think TFC should do what Oldham did (with Micah Richards). They don't need the couple thousand they will get...but take a 20% cut in his next transfer fee $$$ (should either kid make an impact and grab the attention of a bigger club)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regardless of the law, I am not in favour of any system that "commits" a kid to TFC or anyone else below the age of 18.

I also have to question in general the wisdom of parents who send their high school age kids far from home without proper support. Not saying it happened in this case, but it happens a lot. Canadian junior hockey has the same problem.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We better see compensation. Otherwise what's the point of an academy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    We better see compensation. Otherwise what's the point of an academy.
    agreed. or else what's the point of developing players for others for free?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a question, if TFC receives some sort of monetary compensation or some sort of performance or appearance bonus or percentage off his next transfer, whatever happens, does MLS still get the 25% off all transfers?

As far as the MLS Academies, are kids that sign with the academies also contracted to MLS or with the individual clubs?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    i'm not calling you naive, i'm calling this thought naive.
    YES this does signal TFC is scouting and training good talent which does in turn make us look better, but we're training it for OUR team, not anyone elses. we're paying for our scouts, trainers, and a new facility only to have someone poach our talent by saying "you can play for a bigger club".

when you say "it may attract more top players as a result", to me this means "it may attract more top players that want to use TFC as a stepping stone". it may do wonders for the national team playing overseas, but i'd take club on the same level as country any day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
    Voyageurs are reporting that QPR have signed Dylan Carreiro and Michael Petrasso...

Huge blow to TFC academy if true, Petrasso is class
    Don't feel too bad.

Good for country.