Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Carreiro turns 17 next week and Petrasso turns 17 in the summer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    TFC's huge investment in time and money ending up with the best kids being skimmed off by Premiership clubs is not what this should be about.
    The no. 1 reason to have an academy is to improve your own club.
    This is not good news.
    I guess it depends on what we do with the "transfer money" (compenation) we receive for any players that move to another club? I'm assuming MLSE would re-invest the money into the youth set-up at TFC? But, there is no guarantee of this?! What if Man City came along and pouched a player from the youth team and offered silly money as compensation? Would we (the fans) benefit from this money? What would stop MLSE from pocketing a load of profit from some wonderkid youth player?

I assuming that any compensation from QPR would be put back into TFC's pockers to use somewhere, but its definitely no guarantee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Not just small omes,Fabregas was pouched by Arsenal from Barcelona at age of 14/15.

Still I would wait and see transfes being offical.Underage transfers are under the investigations from.UEFA and FIFA.If they don't have Euro passport both parents have to move with them,with Euro.passports 16 years old can transfer.
    In the twitter feed linked he said he just got Portuguese passport ... making things a lot easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the ncaa rules are wack...all it takes to change the rules is for the alabama and lsu players on Monday to have collectively decided, we'll just sit down on the field and not play

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But as a result, you can't compensate academy players - what some were talking about earlier - unless you want to forfeit your eligibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Homer finds out that his shares in the power plant have increased in value for the first time ever to $10. He sells them and buy's a couple beers with the money. A short time latter the shares become worth thousands.
    not an exact comparison, but the point remains the same. That is that you don't willingly sell something for a bit of money that you don't really need when it has the potential to be worth a lot more later on.
    A first team star will always be worth more than an academy star.
    If it's true that MLS academy rules don't give clubs a way of protecting their academy players, then they need to change those rules. If MLS wants to move on to bigger things, they need their teams to be fielding the cream of their academy's crop, not the ones that European teams didn't want. They'll also need money, and by letting their academies' best get poached before reaching the MLS, they don't get anything whereas if they were to hold onto them they would get quite a bit that they could put towards raising the salary cap

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    But as a result, you can't compensate academy players - what some were talking about earlier - unless you want to forfeit your eligibility.
    True,but I think you can make an offer to your top 3-4 players who are U17 NT and have potential to go to Europe if any offer comes around,since those top 3-5 have no intention to go to College anyway MLS teams should put something in place to keep them around(something = $$$).
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll wait until these guys are succeeding as men before I get too pissed off at losing them. Yes they are talented young players but there are no guarantees at this age. Unless they are the only good players in our academy, there will be more that will stick with us. Also, development doesn't occur at the same rate for each boy... Look at Mo Edu... hardly on the radar until later in college and now he played in the SPL. As long as the academy is always bringing new ones in, we'll find kids good enough for MLS (even if not good enough for Europe).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has been driving me nutts since I read it last night. It completely ruined my draft/CCL hype. However, this is a sign that our academy is developing quality players. How many academy players has Ajax lost over years to the EPL? We need to create an environment where our players want to stay. This is not the end of the world, but this is disappointing to say the least.

Club before country!

Toronto till I die!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if they don't make it - two or three years playing in England in an EPL club's system will help them realize as much of their potential as possible - a lot more than if they stayed here.

Good for them, I hope they do make it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

umm qpr is in the relegation zone right now...who says they will be a EPL team for years to come?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    umm qpr is in the relegation zone right now...who says they will be a EPL team for years to come?
    does EPL automatically mean they'd receive better youth academy training than they would in Canada?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    With their new manager, and looking at their upcoming matches to end of February .... home against Wigan, away to Aston Villa, home against Wolves, away to Blackburn, home to Fulham ...

I expect QPR should be safe. Though with 3 of their last 4 games against Tottenham, Chelsea, and Man City ... they'd better start picking up points!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope QPR gets relegated for such a shabby treatment of Neil Warnock
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felipe View Post
    Even if they don't make it - two or three years playing in England in an EPL club's system will help them realize as much of their potential as possible - a lot more than if they stayed here.

Not only that but they can turn pro earlier and actually make a living.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    does EPL automatically mean they'd receive better youth academy training than they would in Canada?
    i was more referring to this:

Quote Originally Posted by felipe View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope they do well, and yes it's good for country, but am I still allowed to be slightly pissed off? I guess Rome wasn't build in a day, nor was Ajax.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thrilled; unapologetically thrilled. I love TFC to death, and watching Petrasso play a half a dozen times , I'm sad we are losing him. That being said, if this means they're better when they come play for the national team, then every kid from our academy can get plucked by clubs in Jolly Old England, Spain, Germany, Guam and Narnia.

We want kids not to leave, we should become better, but they would be stupid not to take the chance and go over there and I hope that's what Danny told them.

Congrats boys, best of luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if I read the FIFA reg correctly, we are due $40 000 for each player per year of training if we are a category 2 club (which I think we are) and $10 000 each per year if we are category 3, payable when the player signs a professional contract or when he turns 23. Does anyone know for sure what category we are? The regs state that it's re-evaluated each year based on the quality of training, facilities etc.

Will this FIFA mandated compensation be split with MLS like transfer fees are?

The regs are also clear on compensation - even if the player has not signed a professional contract. All you need is to be registered with the club, which we know they both are due to CSL regs.

So really, this seems to be SOP for clubs around the world, and I'm thrilled for players and the success of the academy in training players.
    Last edited by Fishnicker; 01-17-2012 at 10:24 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishnicker View Post
    So if I read the FIFA reg correctly, we are due $40 000 for each player per year of training if we are a category 2 club (which I think we are) and $10 000 each per year if we are category 3, payable when the player signs a professional contract or when he turns 23. Doea anyone know for sure what category we are? The regs state that it's re-evaluated each year based on the quality of training, facilities etc.

Will this FIFA mandated compensation be split with MLS like transfer fees are?

The regs are also clear on compensation - even if the player has not signed a professional contract. All you need is to be registered with the club, which we know they both are due to CSL regs.

Se really, this seems to be SOP for clubs around the world, and I'm thrilled for players and the success of the academy in training players.
    Since academy players are not on MLS contracts I don't think MLS has anything to do with it as far as transfer fees. Also, with them not being signed to MLS is there really a transfer from TFC? I think the FIFA transfer rules would have only applied if they were on a professional contract with TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Since academy players are not on MLS contracts I don't think MLS has anything to do with it as far as transfer fees. Also, with them not being signed to MLS is there really a transfer from TFC? I think the FIFA transfer rules would have only applied if they were on a professional contract with TFC.
    if not TFC, TFCA should be getting the transfer fees then

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    No need to be on contract,this is development fee of 40K per year that clubs are getting.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if that is a pre-set development fee or if it's a negotiated fee. Either way, that's the fee that I heard as well, which to me is a pittance when you've invested millions in the academy and training facilities. We are basically giving them up "at cost". So how exactly does this benefit the first team?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I wonder if that is a pre-set development fee or if it's a negotiated fee. Either way, that's the fee that I heard as well, which to me is a pittance when you've invested millions in the academy and training facilities. We are basically giving them up "at cost". So how exactly does this benefit the first team?
    Have to agree with Roogsy.

I'm all the academy and I think it's great the kids are getting picked up by other clubs to develop but there needs to be something back to the academy to further develop more younger players and more importantly a means to encourage the youths to stay and if they are great play for the first team.

Else this is a business model with a significant flaw - that is; it'll never make enough money

I am an Online Pole
    RPB Twitter and Facebook Bitch (http://www.twitter.com/redpatchboys)
    Pride...Passion...Purpose...and DRANK

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd hope that the model improves with the reputation of the Academy itself. We've money invested but reputation takes time.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phonzo View Post
    Have to agree with Roogsy.

I'm all the academy and I think it's great the kids are getting picked up by other clubs to develop but there needs to be something back to the academy to further develop more younger players and more importantly a means to encourage the youths to stay and if they are great play for the first team.

Else this is a business model with a significant flaw - that is; it'll never make enough money
    Exactly. Have to wonder if the business plan submitted to justify the big spending on the academy accounted for the best and brightest prospects being plucked away early for this minimal fee. Makes it difficult to reap the bigger dollar transfers hoped for with the prospects that end up being leftover.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    It is pre-set fee,based on many things,one of them is country of origin,there is some formula to calculate(can't find now) the fee.I remember Holland being number 1 on that list and clubs from there would get the most $$ for their players.

This move does not benefits the 1st team at all,I don't know what MLS rules are when it comes to this matter,but if TFCA does not set up something soon, we will be loosing our top players to Europe before they even play one game for TFC.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What would happen if a player is signed to a pro contract?

For example if Petrasso and Carreiro were signed with the first team? I take it if a team in Europe wanted them it would be more than $40k?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Exactly. Have to wonder if the business plan submitted to justify the big spending on the academy accounted for the best and brightest prospects being plucked away early for this minimal fee. Makes it difficult to reap the bigger dollar transfers hoped for with the prospects that end up being leftover.

Exactly.

Listen, we are still going to get academy kids making it to the first team. But they are going to be the kids that aren't picked up by bigger clubs. For lack of a better word, the "leftovers". Most of these kids will be actively looking to move to "bigger" clubs.

That's why I don't have huge dreams of real impact kids making it to the first team from the academy. We will see some roleplayers, some bench players and some lower-tier MLS trade fodder, but the real cream of the academy will be playing elsewhere with little compensation to TFC and that is a shame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One wonders how independent academies like Sigma make money if they don't get much compensation from the players they export.