Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Today`s News,Thursday,Dec.29

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin d'

STURGIS TRADED TO HOUSTON FOR 2014 SUPERDRAFT PICK

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...gis-toronto-fc

"The Houston Dynamo made their first acquisition of the offseason on Wednesday, acquiring midfielder/defender Nathan Sturgis from Toronto FC for a conditional pick in the 2014 SuperDraft, Dynamo president Chris Canetti confirmed to MLSsoccer.com..."

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nate Sturgis is junk

I give this trade...

One ecstatic Fuad Ibrahim picture out of five.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    mornin d'

STURGIS TRADED TO HOUSTON FOR 2014 SUPERDRAFT PICK

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...gis-toronto-fc

"The Houston Dynamo made their first acquisition of the offseason on Wednesday, acquiring midfielder/defender Nathan Sturgis from Toronto FC for a conditional pick in the 2014 SuperDraft, Dynamo president Chris Canetti confirmed to MLSsoccer.com..."
    That the Gods, I never understood the purpose behind this trade.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the earl of concochrane signed him for some reason, i think he thought he was managing the club full time. we traded a decent pick in a talent heavy draft.

some could see it as a good move, we got a proven MLS talent who could play mid and defense, but hindsight is a bitch. he didnt fit into our system. personally, i think winter was holding on to him for depth, but he never really fit into what we're planning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone say the player Vancouver drafted with that pick (without looking it up)? Probably not. Sturgis didn't do badly for us. Don't think it was necessarily lack of fit in the system, more that in the end Stinson took over his spot, for less money.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Can anyone say the player Vancouver drafted with that pick (without looking it up)? Probably not. Sturgis didn't do badly for us. Don't think it was necessarily lack of fit in the system, more that in the end Stinson took over his spot, for less money.
    michael nanchoff, he's only had a few games for them and has stuck mostly to the B-team. the only reason i know that is because i looked it up when the trade was announced but before you posted that .

it's also a matter of who we could've had:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalil_Anibaba
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._J._Sapong

again, i understand that the SD is a crapshoot (at best) and that we got an MLS vet who could cover a few roles. it seemed to make sense at the time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Can anyone say the player Vancouver drafted with that pick (without looking it up)? Probably not.
    Michael Nanchoff

Sturgis didn't do badly for us. Don't think it was necessarily lack of fit in the system, more that in the end Stinson took over his spot, for less money.
    Sturgis had his chances. Was adequate enough I suppose, and I think supporters wanna shit on him for being part of horrid first half of season which tainted most of the veteran (though Sturgis is only 24) players on the squad.

In the end, Sturgis was surplus DM (who can play fullback) in a loaded TFC squad at DM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Michael Nanchoff

Sturgis had his chances. Was adequate enough I suppose, and I think supporters wanna shit on him for being part of horrid first half of season which tainted most of the veteran (though Sturgis is only 24) players on the squad.

In the end, Sturgis was surplus DM (who can play fullback) in a loaded TFC squad at DM.
    I don't want to shit on Sturgis (who is a poor player, make no mistake) as much as I want to shit on the club for letting its PR guy make trade decisions and acquire Sturgis even after the newest expansion team didn't want him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    I don't want to shit on Sturgis (who is a poor player, make no mistake) as much as I want to shit on the club for letting its PR guy make trade decisions and acquire Sturgis even after the newest expansion team didn't want him.
    I think it's more of a 'holy shit this is a freaking good deal' than 'fuck this guy he sucks' from the Shitecaps

we wouldn't be having this bitchfest if Sturgis was acquired for a 2nd round pick (which he's about worth in MLS)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's more of a 'holy shit this is a freaking good deal' than 'fuck this guy he sucks' from the Shitecaps

we wouldn't be having this bitchfest if Sturgis was acquired for a 2nd round pick (which he's about worth in MLS)
    Your and my estimations of Sturgis' playing ability differ significantly, then.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Your and my estimations of Sturgis' playing ability differ significantly, then.
    we don't know how Sturgis got picked up by TFC. Vancouver could have had intention of playing Sturgis (who had a good year at Seattle in 2010), but Cochrane made Vancouver an offer that they couldn't refuse.

I don't know how closely you've followed Sturgis before 2011, but once upon a time, he was a highly rated US U20 player, former GA, and by 2011, 6 years in MLS. Injuries really hurt his development, and in some circles, he's still highly rated utility player.

-Eduardo Galeano

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we don't know how Sturgis got picked up by TFC. Vancouver could have had intention of playing Sturgis (who had a good year at Seattle in 2010), but Cochrane made Vancouver an offer that they couldn't refuse.

I don't know how closely you've followed Sturgis before 2011, but once upon a time, he was a highly rated US U20 player, former GA, and by 2011, 6 years in MLS. Injuries really hurt his development, and in some circles, he's still highly rated utility player.
    I tend not to follow players before they enter the MLS, so my perception and judgments are limited from that perspective. I can only comment on what I've seen, and what I've seen (perhaps impacted by the injuries you've mentioned) is a middling MLS midfielder, with some OK defensive aptitudes and weak athletic ability (a must-have in this league). I'm glad he's off to somewhere else.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2012 will prove whether Sturgis is another in a long line of TFC giving away a usable player. Kinnear, unlike Winter, does not have an aversion to North American players and knows how to develop them and use them. I am willing to guess that DK will help Sturgis back to the previous path he was on of a usable MLS player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CHILE ENOUGH FOR YA IN CANADA?: If reports out of Chile are correct, one of the Canadian MLS clubs is about to sign a new left back: Miguel Aceval. The 28-year-old is currently with Universidad de Concepcion in the Chilean first division, but he has spent the majority of his career with powerhouse Colo Colo. He debuted for Chile this fall in a friendly against Mexico. (Terra.cl - Dec. 28, 2011)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-headed-canada

We need a left back.... :P

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    2012 will prove whether Sturgis is another in a long line of TFC giving away a usable player. Kinnear, unlike Winter, does not have an aversion to North American players and knows how to develop them and use them. I am willing to guess that DK will help Sturgis back to the previous path he was on of a usable MLS player.
    TFC is stacked at DM position. Sturgis was a surplus. Hope he does well at Houston

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No ill wishes here. Sturgis seemed to be able to cross effectively and was reasonably accurate off set pieces... when given the chance.

He didn't strike me as a liability defensively but certainly didn't play as if he was a stand out either.

Good luck to him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is stacked at DM position. Sturgis was a surplus. Hope he does well at Houston
    Considering that Frings will likely be used as a CB and JDG, while recovering from a horrendous first two seasons had a decent end to 2011, is an overly expensive solution at DM, I would disagree we are "stacked" at that position. Not that I think Sturgis was the answer either.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sturgis seems to be best exemplified by the word "meh."

I'll be very surprised if Frings plays CB in 2012.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering that Frings will likely be used as a CB and JDG, while recovering from a horrendous first two seasons had a decent end to 2011, is an overly expensive solution at DM, I would disagree we are "stacked" at that position. Not that I think Sturgis was the answer either.
    i hope frings isn't used as a CB. he was a general back there, that's for sure, and we can use if to plug a hole of our defense is the sieve it was this year, but he's a DM that could play CB.. not a DM that should play CB.

in the games i saw him in, he was utility at best, he didn't really wow me. oldtimers post really sums it up for me.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

much like gargan, in the right situation, sturgis will do ok. houston may well be the right place, much like chicago seems to be the right place for gargan to do well. doesn't mean he would have been the same player for tfc, and anyone's struggles at tfc don't automatically mean they're a crap player.

avila, marosevic, johnson, all players who'd struggled elsewhere in mls that winter seemed to manage to get the best out of (albeit in a limited timeframe). it works both ways, I imagine every mls team has examples in both directions.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Frings is played at CB, I'd be very surprised

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Frings is played at CB, I'd be very surprised
    I think that's the plan. I'd be surprised if he doesn't.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 12-29-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not only do I not want to see Frings at CB this year, I'd like him to get forward a lot more this year - his talent is wasted back there. It's a waste of DP money to play him on the backline. The MLS is a league of defense-by-committee and offense by individual talents...Frings needs to be one of those individual talents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC giving away players?

Sturgis has been on about 5 teams since he was drafted

and how do you get that Winter has an aversion to N.A. players when he has moved a number of young Canadians up to the team and has stated clearly that he wants Canadian talent developed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's the plan. I'd be surprised if he doesn't.
    Mariner said on TV late last year that he wants ,more defenders.. and has repeated that refrain this month. So I don't think Frings at CB is in the plans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter, does not have an aversion to North American players and knows how to develop them and use them.
    What about Johnson, Avila, Stinson, Morgan, and De Guzman (who I would say had his best year in a TFC shirt last year under Winter.)? Hell two of those guys he promoted form the academy and by the end of the year both had been called up by the CMNT. How many other coaches in MLS developed NA players from their academy to a national team last year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    TFC giving away players?
    We have a bad track record of doing this. Trading a 1st pick for Sturgis, then trading him for a conditional pick a year later is one of many, many, many examples of very poor asset management. Cronin for allocation money, Chad Barrett for "future considerations", Carl Robinson for a 4th round pick, DeRo for Borman and Tchani, Tchani for Iro (and Griffit who was waived) etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    What about Johnson, Avila, Stinson, Morgan, and De Guzman (who I would say had his best year in a TFC shirt last year under Winter.)? Hell two of those guys he promoted form the academy and by the end of the year both had been called up by the CMNT. How many other coaches in MLS developed NA players from their academy to a national team last year?
    Don't feed the troll dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Don't feed the troll dude.
    Roogsy is a respected member of our group, not a troll.