• Skydome

183 46.10%
Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    The connection from the convention centre to the cn tower is demolished. It's been gone for a while now, think it was in the spring. You can still get from Union to the edge of the convention centre, but the last few hundred meters you have to walk outside. You know that big park where you come out of the skywalk, next to the cn tower, near gate 5? That whole park is gone. It's going to be a big aquarium (it sounds pretty cool)
    you have had to walk outside for years...i cannot remember the last time you didn't have to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    you have had to walk outside for years...i cannot remember the last time you didn't have to
    Ya I know, but now there's no exit from the skywalk near the dome. You'd have to exit at the convention centre either on front or on simcoe and walk the rest of the way. It's just a bit out of the way. But its at least twice as much outside time as it used to be. And not NEARLY as direct (I live near there, it adds about 5 min walking to get from the Dome to Union, maybe a bit more. I know 5 min isn't a lot, but it used to be a 10 min walk, so now it's around a 50% increase. Yes, I'm lazy)

Either way, Beirne said the announcement would be latest tomorrow right? Any word on something today coming out? I'm just sick of not knowing. I want to start really getting excited for this game already
    Last edited by Waggy; 12-07-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    yeah, that's why I said "snowed/iced out." I'm just worried about mother nature fucking us over, as she has done already twice this season in very important games. What a bitch.
    How were we "fucked over" when it was always for our benefit?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah, memories.........

Most on this forum are probably much too young to remember, but at one
    time Toronto had the ultimate footy stadium. I'm talking about the old
    exhibition grounds from it's 1959 expansion up until they installed fake turf
    in 1971, and expanded it for baseball in 1977.

This stadium had a real 'english' feel to it back then. It had all the elements,
    natural grass, the roof over the north stands, the fog rolling in from the lake.
    Teams like Nottingham Forest would come to town. The stands were packed.

If only we could borrow a page from the past............for just this one game.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So your for the "elements" then?

That's a vote for BMO.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    How were we "fucked over" when it was always for our benefit?
    [insert repeated debate about whether we would have lost the first NCC game had the weather not intervened]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya I know, but now there's no exit from the skywalk near the dome. You'd have to exit at the convention centre either on front or on simcoe and walk the rest of the way. It's just a bit out of the way. But its at least twice as much outside time as it used to be. And not NEARLY as direct (I live near there, it adds about 5 min walking to get from the Dome to Union, maybe a bit more. I know 5 min isn't a lot, but it used to be a 10 min walk, so now it's around a 50% increase. Yes, I'm lazy)

Either way, Beirne said the announcement would be latest tomorrow right? Any word on something today coming out? I'm just sick of not knowing. I want to start really getting excited for this game already
    pretty sure you can exit just west of the south builidng as well...its a 2-3 min walk from there to gate 5/6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if it is at Skydome.. has anyone discussed what will be the new supporters section?

Sections 222-226 facing the Jumbotron might be ok if all the usual suspects stand there. Even if the 100 and 200 levels aren't full, it will still be a good atmosphere if we fill that end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bars92 View Post
    So if it is at Skydome.. has anyone discussed what will be the new supporters section?

Sections 222-226 facing the Jumbotron might be ok if all the usual suspects stand there. Even if the 100 and 200 levels aren't full, it will still be a good atmosphere if we fill that end.
    The LA supporters should have the top right of section 544.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by no1redsfan View Post
    ah, memories.........

Most on this forum are probably much too young to remember, but at one
    time Toronto had the ultimate footy stadium. I'm talking about the old
    exhibition grounds from it's 1959 expansion up until they installed fake turf
    in 1971, and expanded it for baseball in 1977.

This stadium had a real 'english' feel to it back then. It had all the elements,
    natural grass, the roof over the north stands, the fog rolling in from the lake.
    Teams like Nottingham Forest would come to town. The stands were packed.

If only we could borrow a page from the past............for just this one game.
    haha better yet, how about old maple leaf stadium at the old tip top tailors, now million dollar condo's, at the foot of bathurst street. I went there when I was a wee tot,...to watch Sparky Anderson player/coach ,..of course it wasn't winter but we had double headers and the lake weather.....wasn't the first Jay's game in the snow?
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post #700 in the thread!

Set a damn date and announce the venue already
    |
    x______________________________________________

Twitter: toast84

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Bars92

The south end may not be such a good idea. Don't forget the dome was
    made to hold a CFL field. You are dealing with 20 yard end zones, and then
    maybe another 5 or 10 yards after that. It will be like Empire in Vancouver.

" from where I sat, the game was but a rumour "

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ForestGlade View Post
    Post #700 in the thread!

Set a damn date and announce the venue already

Not the mention this thread had already 20,843 views.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by no1redsfan View Post
    @ Bars92

The south end may not be such a good idea. Don't forget the dome was
    made to hold a CFL field. You are dealing with 20 yard end zones, and then
    maybe another 5 or 10 yards after that. It will be like Empire in Vancouver.

" from where I sat, the game was but a rumour "
    True. I've watched a lot of Argos games from that section and it was the closest thing they had to a "south end" like at BMO. Also watched Rangers v Dinamo Zagreb from that section, the Dinamo supporters had the opposite end, with basically no one in the rest of the stadium. That was a while ago, but I do remember being miles from the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bars92 View Post
    True. I've watched a lot of Argos games from that section and it was the closest thing they had to a "south end" like at BMO. Also watched Rangers v Dinamo Zagreb from that section, the Dinamo supporters had the opposite end, with basically no one in the rest of the stadium. That was a while ago, but I do remember being miles from the pitch.
    I found these pics of a soccer pitch at Rogers center.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=507013&page=9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    I found these pics of a soccer pitch at Rogers center.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=507013&page=9

.... I think it looks pretty good, even with what looks to be 25-30 000 in there. Imagine if there was 35-40, or even more..... Tho I will not be enjoying skydome food any time soon me thinks

"I can't believe that the Dome got one of the best grades as far as food cleanliness. I work there, and the rats and mice in the food concession stands are big enough to take your leg off. Can't imagine what the other stadiums must look like."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    haha better yet, how about old maple leaf stadium at the old tip top tailors, now million dollar condo's, at the foot of bathurst street. I went there when I was a wee tot,...to watch Sparky Anderson player/coach ,..of course it wasn't winter but we had double headers and the lake weather.....wasn't the first Jay's game in the snow?
    THANK YOU. I never understood how Babe Ruths first professional home run wound up in lake ontario from christie pits, I just figured it was one of those urban legends that was told so many times it became 'fact'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.... I think it looks pretty good, even with what looks to be 25-30 000 in there. Imagine if there was 35-40, or even more..... Tho I will not be enjoying skydome food any time soon me thinks

"I can't believe that the Dome got one of the best grades as far as food cleanliness. I work there, and the rats and mice in the food concession stands are big enough to take your leg off. Can't imagine what the other stadiums must look like."
    35-40k fans???

We're also competing for fans with a raps home game against Houston and a leafs road game against pit with 15 to go in the season...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

35-40k fans???

We're also competing for fans with a raps home game against Houston and a leafs road game against pit with 15 to go in the season...

The Raps are going to be the worst team in the NBA this year, hands down. Want to bet a beer on attendence for a wed night game against a mid to bottom tier team from the west being over/under 16k? Remember there will NOT be a lot of raps season tickets sold this year because of the lockout. And a leafs road game? Really?

Theres 5 million people in this city, this is the biggest soccer game this city has ever hosted. I don't get your view that people won't hear about this game. If MLSE can do ONE single thing, its market and sell tickets. That's what they do, that's how they came to be worth 1.7 billion dollars. That's how they got 21 000 people to watch an MLS expansion team at a time when NO-ONE was getting close to that outside of golden balls. Their marketing strategy revolutionized MLS. This is the biggest game a team from Toronto has played since the Raps were eliminated from the 2008 playoffs, and starting tomorrow there are four FULL months to market it. Plus it's against a marketable team (with or without becks, EVERYONE knows the LA Galaxy). And the carrot of winning the champs league is playing the big boys in the club world cup, which even euro snobs in Toronto would be interested in.

You think the average sports fan in this city cares enough about TFC to hold a grudge over Mo Johnson? Casual sports fans have never HEARD of MoJo. They just know the team got a new manager last year and got better as the year went on, and are now playing in the QUARTER FINALS OF THE CONTINENTAL TOURNAMENT. In the SEASON OPENING GAME. The jays, in the years when there was NO hope, when they hadn't been relevant in YEARS can always manage to sell out opening day. Why? Cause it's an event. People in toronto LOVE events. That's why they sold out skydome for UFC last march.... but there's still tickets available for the ACC on saturday. The CCL 1/4 at the dome is an EVENT. It's a home playoff game. It's a Toronto team with a chance not just for national glory, or even north american, but world wide.

Edit- My eurosnob friends, who I can't drag to a TFC game are ALL interested in both this game and whenever the game is we play MTL in the Big O. ANY soccer fan, whether they like MLS or not, who hears about this game will be intruiged.

edit 2- the grey cup in toronto next year will sell out FAST. You think all of the sudden Torontonians became CFL fans? It's the biggest event in Canada, so they show up. The idea is get people to the event and if the product is good they'll come back. Which is why it's in TFC's interest to market the hell out of the game and charge as little as possible. The idea is to bring back demand for TFC tickets. Draw as many as possible in the dome, have a wicked atmosphere, hope the team plays well and hope a bunch of the people leaving the stadium go "Man, that was fun. And bmo is a WAY better soccer stadium than the dome. I'm gonna have to check this out there. That place must be NUTS"

Edit 3: and before you say "The Leafs drive the 1.7 billion dollars", the Habs are every bit as historic, in every bit as big a hockey market, with almost as big a fan base as Toronto, in almost as new a stadium (a bigger one at that) and their team is worth a SUBSTANTIALLY less than the Leafs. You can say MLSE is a terrible owner. You can say they don't know how to win. You can say they don't understand how to relate to fans. The one thing you can't say is they don't know how to make money and sell tickets.
    Last edited by Waggy; 12-08-2011 at 12:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I'd say, for starters, the Canada-Mexico 1994 World Cup Qualifier (played in 1993), when Canada was on the verge of making it, was "bigger" than a CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal game is. My memory don't go much further back than that, as far as this goes . . .
    Last edited by GBV; 12-08-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So my disclaimer is that I'm a big tfc fan. I was a ransom pack holder and am now going in to my 2nd season as a ssh. I'm a fan. I'll be at the game regardless of the location.

However...

1 - although it might be the biggest game in the club history it's a home and away playoff match in the quarter finals. No one is walking away with a cup at the end of the game. The average Toronto/north American fans are drawn to championship games for a reason. People like to see teams win championships.

2 - you mention the grey cup. The last grey cup in Toronto brought in about 52k fans. This is a national event drawing in 10s of thousands of people from all around Canada for the weekend. It has a history going back 100 years. I personally know a group of 20 guys that go to the grey cup every year as a reunion of sorts. To even try to compare the upcoming quarter final to the grey cup is retarded. Period.

3 - yes the raps are gonna suck. Hard. But they're still gonna draw 10k fans to the game and Mlse is still gonna be marketing the crap out of them. Why? Because Mlse has waaaaaaaay more invested in the raps then they'll ever have In tfc. In fact there are 4 guys on the raps roster that are each currently making as much as the entire tfc line up.

4 - why is a leaf away game important in this argument you ask? Well Toronto vs pit with 15 games to go in a playoff race is kind of a big deal in the city. Hell the CCL won't even be on the big screen at real sports. That should tell you about the priorities of Mlse.

5 - financially this game will be a disaster. They're going to need to rent the facility and make up for lost concessions. Who do you think is going to pay for it? Think ticket prices will be in the same range as the qualifiers? Dream on. Do you think you're friends will still show up when the cheap seats with crappy sight lines are $30-40 a pop?

Lastly, for your consideration, the team needs to invest in winterizing bmo field. Playing in march isn't a one time event anymore. The league starts in march every year and going forward I expect us to continue to be playing in CCL quarters every year. so if we're not going to invest in making our home capable of march games then we better look at moving all march games to Rogers center.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Not the mention this thread had already 20,843 views.
    It must be the off-season!

I agree that ML$E has the chance to sell out this game, but only if ticket prices aren't too high. NFL (which is big here) couldn't sell out when the ticket prices were too high. Price it right, and the curious casual fan or even the eurosnob may choose to show up.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So my disclaimer is that I'm a big tfc fan. I was a ransom pack holder and am now going in to my 2nd season as a ssh. I'm a fan. I'll be at the game regardless of the location.

However...

1 - although it might be the biggest game in the club history it's a home and away playoff match in the quarter finals. No one is walking away with a cup at the end of the game. The average Toronto/north American fans are drawn to championship games for a reason. People like to see teams win championships.

2 - you mention the grey cup. The last grey cup in Toronto brought in about 52k fans. This is a national event drawing in 10s of thousands of people from all around Canada for the weekend. It has a history going back 100 years. I personally know a group of 20 guys that go to the grey cup every year as a reunion of sorts. To even try to compare the upcoming quarter final to the grey cup is retarded. Period.

3 - yes the raps are gonna suck. Hard. But they're still gonna draw 10k fans to the game and Mlse is still gonna be marketing the crap out of them. Why? Because Mlse has waaaaaaaay more invested in the raps then they'll ever have In tfc. In fact there are 4 guys on the raps roster that are each currently making as much as the entire tfc line up.

4 - why is a leaf away game important in this argument you ask? Well Toronto vs pit with 15 games to go in a playoff race is kind of a big deal in the city. Hell the CCL won't even be on the big screen at real sports. That should tell you about the priorities of Mlse.

5 - financially this game will be a disaster. They're going to need to rent the facility and make up for lost concessions. Who do you think is going to pay for it? Think ticket prices will be in the same range as the qualifiers? Dream on. Do you think you're friends will still show up when the cheap seats with crappy sight lines are $30-40 a pop?

Lastly, for your consideration, the team needs to invest in winterizing bmo field. Playing in march isn't a one time event anymore. The league starts in march every year and going forward I expect us to continue to be playing in CCL quarters every year. so if we're not going to invest in making our home capable of march games then we better look at moving all march games to Rogers center.

Agree on all points.

Here's the footy map at skydome:

http://www.rogerscentre.com/seatmaps...er_seating.pdf

Interesting to note the pricepoints. In the sections we'll be interested in the south to recreate the usual BMO atmo would mean sections 117 or 118.

117 is closer to the corner of the pitch and was $125
    118 is the south corner and was $110

Now if our CCL tix to this point started at $25-$30 I would expect a markup from the fact it's a later round and then an additional markup to compensate skydome rental. Not purposely pissing on parades but I think the dream of an MLSE bargain to get max amount of peeps at this game would make it unprecedent.

This isn't my hope but my expectation that the dome game will outprice the casual fan.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 12-08-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Membership Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul tweeted this morning that they are not ready to make an official announcement for the CCL location today.
    Official Member of the Montreal Miracle Crew 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lintberg View Post
    Paul tweeted this morning that they are not ready to make an official announcement for the CCL location today.
    My guess is they're waiting to find out what Becks is gonna do. With him you have 1 marketing plan, without its a completely different one.

RPB Member
    Membership Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is they're waiting to find out what Becks is gonna do. With him you have 1 marketing plan, without its a completely different one.
    I have a feeling they are working out the final details to rent the Rogers Centre. But, if Becks does re-sign with LA then they will sell a ton more tickets for sure.
    Official Member of the Montreal Miracle Crew 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lintberg View Post
    To me this indicates that the game will be played at Rogers Centre. If it were BMO, what could possibly hold them up from announcing it?

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    To me this indicates that the game will be played at Rogers Centre. If it were BMO, what could possibly hold them up from announcing it?
    It's all about the Egg Management Fee.
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THANK YOU. I never understood how Babe Ruths first professional home run wound up in lake ontario from christie pits, I just figured it was one of those urban legends that was told so many times it became 'fact'.

Even before Maple Leaf Stadium there was a baseball stadium on the island and that is where Ruth hit the homerun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlan%27s_Point_Stadium

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believe it or not I doubt this is much of a consideration. The delay has more to do with logistics. e.g. grass.