183 46.10%
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Still better than 20 K at Rogers
    Indeed - especially if you consider the types that would come out in the cold at BMO are going to be folks like us - with a nice empty stadium to make it easier to congregate in one area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO with out a doubt. It's our home in rain, wind, snow, temperature. We will be there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way Dome would be worth it is if MLSE pulled out all, and I mean all, the stops to fill the place up. I do think having 50K for a CCL qf would create some excitement. But I have zero confidence they would or even could do that.

It's not that much earlier than the start of the MLS season. In fact it 2nd leg QF might conflict with start of the MLS season based on the calendar rumors I've heard.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 10-19-2011 at 10:37 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My personal preference would be BMO, although I see advantages & disadvantages for both.

A major technical issue (as explained at the Town Halls) are the uninsulated pipes & washrooms at BMO. At one of the early games so far, they had plumbers running around & running water non-stop to keep the pipes from freezing & dealing with related issues. Some pipes still burst. This game could be colder. As a fan, you can always go into the Food Building washrooms if you want it more comfortable. But they need to provide a certain number of functioning washrooms based on the capacity of the stadium & # of tickets sold, so the Food Building alone won't do for the whole stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    Rogers has Disney on Ice booked 14-18. BMO is where it'll be
    Well that will depend on if we finish first in the group or not (likely not). If we don't finish first in the group, we get the first leg as a runner up team do we not (March 6-8)? So Rogers Centre is still in play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though does anyone know if MLSE would get a percentage of concession sales if it were held in the dome?

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    I think it's definitely going to be Skydome for one reason: the amount of tickets that can be sold. MLSE is aware that Montreal got 55,000 out for their game. That might have been all cheap tickets, but I think TFC can get 40,000 for this game. I don't think MLSE is going to miss out on the chance to sell twice as many tickets.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've posted this in a number of threads, but from what I recall it was touch and go whether the stadium would be ready for our home opener this year (which was March 26). BMO may not be a viable option for an earlier game...

Edit: See Auzzy's post (three up) for cold-reated problems at BMO
    Last edited by JonO; 10-19-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KRO View Post
    With a Pumas win tonight we'll end up 2nd in our group. That will mean that we are at home for the first leg and it will be played March 6-8.

Having said that my vote is for BMO if they think they can fool the grass into growing early.
    BMO has this crazy heated turf system...
    coils of heated glycol under the pitch...they can control the heat and moisture to a crazy precise level...

the turf won't be the issue in March.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The other problem Paul Beirne insinuated at on Twitter is that there might not be any turf available to put down temporarily at SkyDome.

I'm thinking it will be at BMO.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    The other problem Paul Beirne insinuated at on Twitter is that there might not be any turf available to put down temporarily at SkyDome.

I'm thinking it will be at BMO.
    Good point! You don't exactly want to truck it in from Florida.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He mentioned flying it in. LOL

Did they put down grass at Olympic Stadium for that match? And if so where did they get it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's march, it's going to be cold, but it's not going to be too difficult to play a game at BMO. If it was a month earlier then I'd vote Skydome.

Also, the cold weather can only help us against a Mexican team who's primary goal will be their domestic league (assuming Tuaro doesn't get a result tonight).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    My personal preference would be BMO, although I see advantages & disadvantages for both.

A major technical issue (as explained at the Town Halls) are the uninsulated pipes & washrooms at BMO. At one of the early games so far, they had plumbers running around & running water non-stop to keep the pipes from freezing & dealing with related issues. Some pipes still burst. This game could be colder. As a fan, you can always go into the Food Building washrooms if you want it more comfortable. But they need to provide a certain number of functioning washrooms based on the capacity of the stadium & # of tickets sold, so the Food Building alone won't do for the whole stadium.
    Well, if TFC wants success in this competition year in and year out - time to fix these issues...

Insulate the pipes - its not rocket science...

I have been to many full outdoor stadiums (including outdoor washrooms - those being ones with no sealed in rooms & insulation) in -40 degree weather...

If they think this year is a one-off, they do nothing and we'll play at the dome - if they expect this team to be in this situation many times in the future, they eat the relatively small cost of winterizing the pipes...

If they need help, call the guy who runs Ralph Wilson Stadium or Lambeau Field - they do it year in and year out...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    He mentioned flying it in. LOL

Did they put down grass at Olympic Stadium for that match? And if so where did they get it?
    They played the game on the regular Big Owe plastic turf.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    It's march, it's going to be cold, but it's not going to be too difficult to play a game at BMO. If it was a month earlier then I'd vote Skydome.

Also, the cold weather can only help us against a Mexican team who's primary goal will be their domestic league (assuming Tuaro doesn't get a result tonight).
    This is what I'm thinking. But aside for a handful of guys on TFC, have many of them played in cold weather?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really, really, really, really dont get this advantage talk about how it might be better for our players to play in the cold.....

WHO LIKES PLAYING IN THE COLD?

Not plata - ecuador
    Not Johnson - jamaica....
    the only people who should/would be "accustomed to the climate" would be Ashtone, and Doneill, and you should ask them what they prefer

I wish i can find the thread where this has already been talked about, and where i said it would determine the hardcore fans, and got bashed for saying that... but oh well
    Last edited by Shway; 10-19-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NBS View Post
    Well that will depend on if we finish first in the group or not (likely not). If we don't finish first in the group, we get the first leg as a runner up team do we not (March 6-8)? So Rogers Centre is still in play.
    Defo March 6 to 8th, I'm not sure why everybody keeps talking about games in February?!

The game will be March 6th to 8th! So, no reason not to have it at BMO in March IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unique type of game like one at Rogers would peak some interest. I'm sure more people would be there then at BMO. Shut down a half of the 500's (each end) and it will be packed....if priced and market correctly.

As far a home field advantage by playing in the cold... that's nominal. Our players would suffer as well. Ryan Johnson?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What about a compromise... Rogers Centre with the roof open?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Voted Skydome, but I know it'll be at BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The precedent for a game at BMO was earlier this year when Columbus played RSL at Crew Stadium on February 25th in the CCL Quarter Finals. Here's a quote from the match report (25 degrees F is -4 C)

The match-time temperature was 25 degrees with a wind chill of 19, but the only snow in sight was plowed off the field earlier in the day. Still, sections of the stands and areas of the concourse were closed because of ice, and a yellow ball was used before a hearty crowd of 4,665.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is this a serious thread?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    The only way Dome would be worth it is if MLSE pulled out all, and I mean all, the stops to fill the place up. I do think having 50K for a CCL qf would create some excitement. But I have zero confidence they would or even could do that.

It's not that much earlier than the start of the MLS season. In fact it 2nd leg QF might conflict with start of the MLS season based on the calendar rumors I've heard.
    Yeah. I don't consider the people up front to be promotional geniuses. By any stretch. Not that they've had to be, for the most part. Lucky them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    i really, really, really, really dont get this advantage talk about how it might be better for our players to play in the cold.....

Not plata - ecuador
    the only people who should/would be "accustomed to the climate" would be Ashtone, and Doneill, and you should ask them what they prefer

I wish i can find the thread where this has already been talked about, and where i said it would determine the hardcore fans, and got bashed for saying that... but oh well
    I don't get why growing up somewhere south automatically puts you at a disadvantage in cold weather. I grew up in Canada, and can tell you I HATE, HATE, HATE playing in cold weather. It would be no advantage for me, that's for sure.

The big draw of Roger's Centre is, well, the big draw. The first game of hopefully our first playoff season, it would be awesome to get Toronto's buzz back around the team by packing 50,000 into a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post

Johnson moved to Boston as an infant. He would be much more accustomed this a north eastern winter than the Jamaican climate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

home is where the heart is!

don't care what montreal did. and i really don't care how many tourists can fill skydome with its plastic carpet and comfy seats in that ridiculous HVAC controlled library-like insanity. and i certainly don't care about how much money MLSE can make on concessions.

i'd wanna stand in the cold, shoulder to shoulder with fellow RPB, supporting my team, in our tin house, in the great outdoors, where the only thing heated is the only thing that needs to be heated, the turf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talked to Tom Anselmi at the game yesterday. (Best road game experience ever, by the way.) He said that they incurred a huge bill for burst pipes before the late March game this year. Doesn't think they can get BMO ready and said Rogers Centre is very likely.

Also said they almost certainly wouldn't put grass down for the game if played there. He asked Winter, who said that if we had the opportunity to train on turf for a couple weeks before the game, it might actually be a competitive advantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Thanks for all the details. Looks like SkyDome it is.

Just hoping its GA for supporters. This is TFC's chance to make amends with fans.

Hell, starting in March, make all future CCL games GA in specific sections. The will see the value of the goodwill in more renewals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmacd View Post
    Talked to Tom Anselmi at the game yesterday. (Best road game experience ever, by the way.) He said that they incurred a huge bill for burst pipes before the late March game this year. Doesn't think they can get BMO ready and said Rogers Centre is very likely.
    He said the same last month at the final town hall. Said the repair bill was over $100,000. Given how much colder it can be for the pipes for a March 7th game, than a March 26th game, it seems like the decision is already made - unless either Tauro beats Pumas ... or Rogers are complete dicks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little weather network check shows that last march 6-8 the temp was below freezing pretty much all day everyday. Highest was about 1 and lowest about -10. For the return dates it was ranging up to +10 and never below frezzing. SO BMO isn't that bad an option. As long as the grass has recovered.