• Skydome

183 46.10%
Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    In any case, Beckham is highly unlikely to be at LA after the end of this season, so I think this is all a moot point, unfortunately!
    Fixed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Beck's drawing power? Wow I hope there's 30,000 more people like yourself who think like it's still 2007.

Really, I do.
    The L.A. game this past season during the week was packed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    The L.A. game this past season during the week was packed.

Becks won't fill Rogers Centre. It has to be marketed and priced cheaply to even have a shot.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Why should we give a F*&K about business wise,who are we ML$E execs or TFC Supporters FFS?

My 12 old kid just finished a outdoor practice 4 degrees Celsius and his academy is practicing outside until Mid,December and you are trying to tell me that Professional players can not play at this temperature at BMO,give me a break.

I rather have 7K hardcore fans than 20K in Skydome,but that's me and I'm not a business person I 'm TFC supporter.
    YES!

Game at bmo= 7,000 if they are lucky.

Game at skydome 30,000 if all goes well. Business wise, even 20,000 at skydome is better than 7,000 at bmo.
    Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    You need to care as a supporter, because money makes the world go 'round. Long term goals and objectives for this club, this region and this country require great qualified people, great people cost money. So do training facilities and scouts...all these things cost money. So if you want to see your club/city, region and country prosper then we as a collective should grow the fanbase and make logical financial decisions for the long term betterment of this club.

It might be a tough bitter pill for some to swallow, but for this particular game and date, Skydome is by far a much smarter desicion.
    Quote Originally Posted by NBS View Post
    +1.

People need to see beyond their noses sometimes. For all the grief MLSE gets (and often rightfully so), they have demonstrated a propensity to re-invest back into the club.
    Why don't you guys send your resume to Paul B while you are at it? Judging by the attendance this year, he could use a few other people with some new 'business' ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO is our home.....end of.
    Those Cali poseurs can freeze their balls off.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    It would if the upgrades cost that much. Does anyone actually know how much it would cost get BMO winter-compatible? I'm asking because I have no idea. It's easy to say: winterize the pipes, let's get ready for March. And if it would cost a few hundred grand then it'd be a no-brainer. But what if it costs more than a million? I have zero expertise in this matter, but if the cost to get the pipes winterized is significant, I can understand putting it off for now and looking for an alternative.
    I think the only way to make the plumbing truly safe in winter would be to fully enclose the concourses.

But to do that would cost in the millions.

That being said, the way MLS is heading, the season seems to be starting earlier and earlier. Plus IF TFC ever gets good, it will be playing games in bad November weather too. So MLSE/TFC FO should be looking at a solution to making BMO Field ready for cold weather regardless of this CCL game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    I think the only way to make the plumbing truly safe in winter would be to fully enclose the concourses.

But to do that would cost in the millions.

That being said, the way MLS is heading, the season seems to be starting earlier and earlier. Plus IF TFC ever gets good, it will be playing games in bad November weather too. So MLSE/TFC FO should be looking at a solution to making BMO Field ready for cold weather regardless of this CCL game.
    I believe MLSE Should be looking to make BMO winterized. However, a few quick points:
    1) BMO at 0*C in November is not the same as 0*C March. The ground (I mean the soil of Ontario) in late autumn has yet to freeze and Lake Ontario is in it's down spell temperature wise. Maybe we could get away with a good day here or there in late winter but it does not address the long term problem.
    2) SkyDome is equipped for indoor events and we the taxpayers have shelled out heavily for it.
    3) In the long short-term does it not make the best sense to hold weather-trivial sporting event dates in our 1980's built super-arena?!
    Especially when we have no guarantees at BMO and we're still a young local phenomina!?

At BMO we have a shot at a Ice Storm Classic. At SkyDome we have a chance at what we've always wanted the dome to be post Jaysmania.
    The worst we can hope for at the Dome is a less than sellout crowd and no weather issues. The opposite scenario the SkyDomes the limit!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been following this thread, as well as reading a lot of opinions on twitter and other places, and it does seem that people have fairly strong opinions, but that they are on both sides. Whatever the club decided, some will be thrilled and some will be disappointed.

I just hope that those who don't get their first pick don't see this as some sort of catastrophic blunder by the club.

Just remember, no matter how this ends, there are MANY people on the other side that would have been just as disappointed. There's no way that the club could make everyone happy.

I'm hoping for the Dome, but whatever the club decides, I'm going to bring friends and try to make this the best experience possible. And I hope others do the same. This isn't another opportunity to tear on the F.O. Just be thankful we have this dilemma. It's an exciting one to have.

Who knows how far we can go? Who knows when we'll be back?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 117 View Post
    Who knows when we'll be back?
    True. Only 3 MLS teams left in the competition. Many elite teams gone.

Even if we become an elite MLS team, face it, it could be a long time before we're back. Just getting out of the NCC may be a big problem going forward. Vancouver and Montreal are going to be a lot better, soon.

Getting deep into CCL is a treat to be savoured.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    True. Only 3 MLS teams left in the competition. Many elite teams gone.

Even if we become an elite MLS team, face it, it could be a long time before we're back. Just getting out of the NCC may be a big problem going forward. Vancouver and Montreal are going to be a lot better, soon.

Getting deep into CCL is a treat to be savoured.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 117 View Post
    Who knows how far we can go?
    TFC are paired against the winner of the Seattle-Santos Laguna games.

They could get to the CCL final without playing a Mexican team.

They are only a lucky break or two away from playing Barcelona in Japan next year.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Sydome alternative is the only one that makes any economic sense at this point.
    It would be kinda dumb to spend millions of dollars in order to winterize BMO field for
    one single game. It could be years before we once again reach this stage.

I just hope the front office vision isn't clouded by short-term greed, and they are
    able to see the BIG PICTURE. Their number one goal should be to have a sell-out.
    If they can charge $200 bucks a pop and have a sell-out, then fine, charge $200 !
    Realistically, tix should be priced around the 15-30-45 range to even have a shot.

What's that expression ? Something like "don't bite off your nose to spite your face" ?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by no1redsfan View Post
    The Sydome alternative is the only one that makes any economic sense at this point.
    It would be kinda dumb to spend millions of dollars in order to winterize BMO field for
    one single game. It could be years before we once again reach this stage.
    It wouldn't be for one game though. The MLS schedule continues to push towards the start of March anyways.

Plus they need to be prepared for bad November weather too. Last year they got lucky that the weather leading up to the MLS Cup wasn't too bad. That won't always be the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the expanding MLS Schedule (length of time, not number of games), Champions League possible matches, and BMO being Canada's 'National Soccer Stadium' the stadium should be winterized - and should have been from the start.

There's plenty of full outdoor stadiums that are used in the depth of winter in North America - BMO should be no different.

I know its rare, but what if we had a deep freeze the last few days leading up to the Canada match on Tuersday?

Invest in the stadium, winterize it, and avoid these problems in the future.

The Dome is there for an option (if they prefer to play inside / worried about low attendance in the cold etc) but it should be "an option" not a neccesity.

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyways, after so many pages and 322 votes in the poll, the consensus is there's no consensus. A small majority want BMO, but a significant minority say go to Skydome.

Either option has its pros and cons. I hope they pick one soon and then we can move on from this debate and support TFC in beating the Gals no matter where we play (I know I'll be at either venue in full voice)!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    TFC are paired against the winner of the Seattle-Santos Laguna games.

They could get to the CCL final without playing a Mexican team.

They are only a lucky break or two away from playing Barcelona in Japan next year.
    Barcelona are only a lucky break or two away from playing TFC in Japan next year.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCBarrie View Post
    No, it was apt. Insert any team in the world, the New York Giants, Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Kings, Manchester United, Florida Marlins, Stevenage FC, Munster or the Chennai Superstars in that analogy, it doesn't matter. Teams play games, especially important games, in their own stadium.
    And the Montreal Impact played one of their biggest games ever in Olympic Stadium.

I get what you are trying to say, but the comparison you made was just bad.

The Leafs will never play a game at the Skydome, big or not. (maybe they play one of those gimmicky 'Outdoor Classics', but even then that won't happen because the dome is sealed for the winter.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    Tue, 6 Mar 2012
    Bruins v Maple Leafs
    7:00 PM

Wed, 7 Mar 2012
    Maple Leafs v Penguins
    7:30 PM ...
    Hey -- Don't give them any ideas by mentioning how they run their hockey teams. They purposefully schedule weekday Marlie games with 11 a.m. start times to attract thousands of school kids on field trips.
    http://www.marlies.ca/tickets/SchoolGroups.asp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Anyways, after so many pages and 322 votes in the poll, the consensus is there's no consensus. A small majority want BMO, but a significant minority say go to Skydome.
    Yes but most people on here are hardcore supporters. I'm sure if you took a poll of all tfc fans it would overwhelmingly be skydome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well every poll i see BMO has the lead not skydome...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    well every poll i see BMO has the lead not skydome...
    What other polls are there.?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What other polls are there.?
    http://www.torontofc.ca/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the poll on the TFC site is even closer than the one for this thread... only a 3% lead for BMO.

I'm actually surprised it's that close... even the hardcore are divided.

Given some of the passionate defenses of "our house" a 55% or 52% poll lead for BMO field isn't commanding.
    Last edited by rocker; 11-12-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my vote has and always would be for BMO field.

having said that if it's skydome it sure as hell better be ROOF OPEN!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    the poll on the TFC site is even closer than the one for this thread... only a 3% lead for BMO.

I'm actually surprised it's that close... even the hardcore are divided.

Given some of the passionate defenses of "our house" a 55% or 52% poll lead for BMO field isn't commanding.
    Most people that follow tfc aren't on these forums or torontofc.ca. Casual fans don't come on these sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    BMO is our home.....end of.
    Those Cali poseurs can freeze their balls off.
    That's the thing. We think that just because TFC is the home team we will have an advantage over them. LA plays in the same league as Toronto and has probably played just as many cold games as we have. The potential lows on a March EVENING will most likely be the coldest ever played at BMO field. Both teams probably have the same number of players that have played in these conditions so no idea how there is this theory that LA will all get hypothermia while our players will be immune to the elements. That's like saying LA will have an advantage over us if the game was played in LA during a hot summer afternoon. Again, same league, roughly equal exposure to the weather of NA so no real advantage due to weather conditions.

In a two legged tie you have to come out with energy as the home team so that you can take a good lead into the second match. If both teams are freezing their balls off, I can't see how we could play our game.

The question then becomes simple. If you were to ignore how many tickets each match would sell do you think we have a better chance beating them at BMO where the cold may influence the gameplay for both teams or at Skydome where weather is not a factor but instead skill?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    Barcelona are only a lucky break or two away from playing TFC in Japan next year.
    Love the attitude in that statement! Barcelona should be so "lucky."
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default funny

good PR by the FO in actually making us think that we have a say in this. We all know that they are gonna try to squiz every single penny they can. To be honest though. BMO field is a skate ring when it rains (specially the aluminum stairs to the stands) i can't even imagine what it would be like when icy.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ua-kozak_TFC View Post
    good PR by the FO in actually making us think that we have a say in this. We all know that they are gonna try to squiz every single penny they can. To be honest though. BMO field is a skate ring when it rains (specially the aluminum stairs to the stands) i can't even imagine what it would be like when icy.
    ^ What this guy said. The venue has already been determined and they are just playing with us. (I think we all know that)

I actually posted something along these lines in the thread on the TFC facebook page and my post got deleted. lol

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And as usually the FO is miles behind. This thread got posted long before the one on facebook did.