• Skydome

183 46.10%
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    Ive went to watch Greece vs. Ecuador in NY at Giants Stadium with a greek supporters group this summer. We were all standing for the begining chanting then all of a sudden 10 security guards came into our section to "restore peace" and made us all sit down. Everytime anyone stood up someone yelled at us.

Dunno if this will happen at the Dome I'd assume no but then again you never know.
    I saw Northern Ireland v Uruguay a few years back at the old Giants Stadium. I remember things being quite lax as far as security.

Blue Jays games on the other hand are run like a police state, so I have no idea what to expect if TFC plays at the Dome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bars92 View Post
    I saw Northern Ireland v Uruguay a few years back at the old Giants Stadium. I remember things being quite lax as far as security.

Blue Jays games on the other hand are run like a police state, so I have no idea what to expect if TFC plays at the Dome.
    I attend between 10 and 20 Jays games every year, since I was around 1 or 2 years old. Since 19 years of age I've snuck booze into about 90% of the jays games I attend. I have never been searched by security. I've never had a problem throwing out a bottle. My friends find my streak of not getting caught sneaking alcohol into the dome to be very impressive, but it's not. They just don't care all that much. Outside of my own anecdotal experience, over the years and a lot of games I've seen some crazy stuff, including

Vicious heckling, well beyond outside normal limits. things about parents having cancer, friends with aids, things about players addictions (I was at the first game Palmero played after testifying for the senate committee on roids, when he had to plug his ears with gauze to drown out the fans. I've never heard so many, and such a wide variety of insults rain down on any one person before.)

people interfering with another teams player trying to catch a foul ball by punching him in the ribs

all sorts of objects rain down onto the field, and aimed at players. from bottles to containers of food, beers/drinks, various giveaway items (One game I went to go in to the stadium after having just bought a hot dog and a can of coke. They let me bring the hot dog in but said the can of coke could be used as a projectile, I had to throw it out. I do, walk inside the doors, give my ticket and am immediately handed a 2 foot long wooden commemorative bat.)

hundreds of people run onto the field, at least a dozen naked

flashing

seen dozens and dozens of fights. Like, DOZENS

It's hardly a police state. I actually find the security at BMO to be far more strict, on all sorts of stuff (from sneaking in stuff to bringing in signs posters to bringing in food to dealing with fights/people throwing things on the field etc). I can't think of a single area in which Skydome is stricter than bmo, outside of standing (in the supporters sections anyways)
    Last edited by Waggy; 10-29-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^LOL and were the hooligans!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    I just do not see any chance this is played at BMO after having a $100,000 damage due to the freezing of pipes last year. That from was having had the stadium set up for March 26th, not March 8th or so as it would be now.

Also you have to consider they would have to start getting the stadium ready in late February and then shutting it completely down only to have to go through the process once again a few weeks later for the start of the MLS season.

It just does not makes sense for anyone except the diehard supporters and I guess to some extend the players.
    Agreed on all points. That's why the game will be at the dome. It makes no sense to have it at bmo, especially from a business standpoint. They will get more fans, whether they be hardcore or fairweather, at the dome in early march.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well let's hope if it is the Skydome that we get at least over 20,000 because anything else will look like an Argo game.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I guess it's going to be a balmy 20 degrees celsius on November 15th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

roger center, after seeing what L'Impact did with their draw a few years ago I would love to see 50,000 TFC fans together.
    Another bonus would be all 10,000 or so hardcore supporters sitting in the same sections leading the crowd at the roger center

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we do go to the Rogers Centre for this match, where would you guys like the "Supporters Section" to be located...?

Middle of the pitch (like DC United) or behind the goal...?

If we draw 20,000 in a 50,000 seat stadium, might be better to have us middle-ground to up the atmosphere...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That turf looked disgusting at the Bills game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    its pathetic....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Ya I was there and it looked like sh*t...

Basically it appeared dead flat, worn to crap, and they just over-marbled it to make up for it being so beat up...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Ya I was there and it looked like sh*t...

Basically it appeared dead flat, worn to crap, and they just over-marbled it to make up for it being so beat up...

i was on it a few weeks back...your correct on the dead flat....its pretty disgusting for a major venue...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    If we do go to the Rogers Centre for this match, where would you guys like the "Supporters Section" to be located...?

Middle of the pitch (like DC United) or behind the goal...?

If we draw 20,000 in a 50,000 seat stadium, might be better to have us middle-ground to up the atmosphere...
    I'm sure if the pricing is reasonable, we can ask the FO to give us a space, and the centre might be nicer. If they charge premium pricing for the centre, however, we'll want to locate elsewhere.

If ML$E is stupid on the pricing (i.e. BMO Field type pricing), we'll see only 8K and we can sit anywhere we like. That would be a lost opportunity for them to re-create some buzz.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-31-2011 at 09:52 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, it seems that Rogers and MLSE don't get along very well when it comes to TFC.
    I'm just concerned that Rogers will play hardball to allow them to play inside Rogers Center in March and charge some crazy rental fee which of course they will have to pawn off on the price of the ticket. It's just my opinion and I have nothing to base it on, just pure speculation lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm really looking forward to doing the wave at the skydome during a TFC game, really

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having been at the nearly-sold-out Bills game yesterday....I wouldn't set the "buzz expectation meter" too high for any game at Skydome with the roof closed. The roof just deadens/muffles crowd noise in there.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Having been at the nearly-sold-out Bills game yesterday....I wouldn't set the "buzz expectation meter" too high for any game at Skydome with the roof closed. The roof just deadens/muffles crowd noise in there.
    The Canada v USA World Baseball Classic game had great atmosphere, with the roof closed.

As for pricing, I predict it will be priced similar to the CCL group games. MLSE is all about not devaluing their product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    The Canada v USA World Baseball Classic game had great atmosphere, with the roof closed.

As for pricing, I predict it will be priced similar to the CCL group games. MLSE is all about not devaluing their product.
    I'm sure you are right, very unlikely they will price the game for max attendance. But, I think we should still advocate for it just the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    To me, it seems that Rogers and MLSE don't get along very well when it comes to TFC.
    I'm just concerned that Rogers will play hardball to allow them to play inside Rogers Center in March and charge some crazy rental fee which of course they will have to pawn off on the price of the ticket. It's just my opinion and I have nothing to base it on, just pure speculation lol.
    The Leafs radio contract is up with AM640 after this year...we all know rogers wants it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard the dome is getting new carpet for next year, maybe it will be there by early march.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ooooh, new carpet ... that's reason to start the wave for sure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    You notice that torontofctv is now powered by Rogers? I have a feeling they're slowly leading people towards a partnership (I really think Rogers is buying MLSE in dec anyways). It's stupid to have 3 sports franchises owned by 1 group, and 2 on their own. Either all be appart or all be together, it's just easier.

Anyways, I back the supporters section being DC style. I kinda think seperating ourselves from everyone else gives the rest of the crowd the feeling we aren't part of them and they aren't part of us. And that SG's are part of the show to be watched. If the SG's are just in the crowd then people might be more inclined to join in songs/chants.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is, if the supporter's are centred in the 100 level at SkyDome the view is terrible for soccer.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The location of the Supporter Section should be something worked out between the groups and the FO.

I would prefer somewhere behind the net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are temporary extra seats added for the Bills games behind the south NFL end zone. They are green, and have a very low slope so that they don't block the existing 100 level seats behind them.
    - NFL south end zone seen from 500 level on east side of Rogers Centre:

(Larger 3968x2976 image)

But I doubt they would be added for TFC unless they were sure of selling all of the other 50,000 seats well ahead of time. They were not there for the Celtic vs Man Utd match. Because of the 150 yards (110 plus two 20 yard end zones) of field length needed for the CFL, a soccer pitch of approximately 115 yards leaves a gap back to the stands at both ends.

- North (3968x2976) and south (3968x2976) ends, seen from Row 1 of the 500 level on the west side of Rogers Centre before Celtic vs Man Utd match:
    Last edited by Heepster; 11-01-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good start to filling the Roger's Centre would be to give complimentary tickets to all season seat holders. Could be a very good PR move as well. I'd then be quite willing to work 4 or 5 friends to buy some reasonably priced seats and get a good contingent of people to come with me...

If everyone does that, you've got a sold out Roger's Centre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    A good start to filling the Roger's Centre would be to give complimentary tickets to all season seat holders. Could be a very good PR move as well. I'd then be quite willing to work 4 or 5 friends to buy some reasonably priced seats and get a good contingent of people to come with me...

If everyone does that, you've got a sold out Roger's Centre.
    Because that make sense, is exactly why it wouldn't happen...

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If the game ends up at the Dome (as in all likelihood), guaranteed we'll all wish we were outside...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    If the game ends up at the Dome (as in all likelihood), guaranteed we'll all wish we were outside...
    not if there's a snowstorm going on and/or it's freezing outside.

then we'll be thinking "phew, good thing we aren't outdoors!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    not if there's a snowstorm going on and/or it's freezing outside.

then we'll be thinking "phew, good thing we aren't outdoors!"
    well, you and our mexican opponents might think that way .... those of us who hate green plastic carpet and cavernous no-atmosphere stadiums will think otherwise